Should be a no brainier.....but...

ToughthundercatsToughthundercats Registered Users, Member 1,959 Posts
I know I'll get in my own way on this but I know I should be taking Cobb as a keeper. I'm looking from the stand point that Cobb and Morgan aren't in any of the boxes. Why? Because they have premium skills, most sought after skills. Glu all but gave us Johnson and yes he's attractive and yes he's at a position that's hard to fill with a decent player. I find myself fighting the urge to take him although taking him is against my better judgement. Cobb against righties was unstoppable. But that first pitch is the sexy new it skill. ATG Ripken is now a lock at my other keeper because his skills work for both CvC and WoH and he'll be essentially a switch hitter because of his skills. I also took two lefties last year and regretted it not taking one lefty and one eighty as I struggled against left hand pitching just about all year. The only hold up for Johnson is it seems as if it's a trap. Knowing Glu and their bait and switch tactics, I smell something fishy. Either way if I take Cobb the safe bet I won't be disappointed but dang that double 1st pitch is sexy....

Comments

• MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    There’s no wrong answer.   You have some good options.  I wouldn’t worry about first pitch changing fwiw 
  • JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    edited March 2021
    If you foul off a pitch in WOH, does 1st pitch turn off? I honestly don't remember since my experience using a 1st pitch guy is probably Bench recently, and then can't recall prior to that (didn't get dbl 1st pitch Brett).

I am not saying I suck at hitting, but the margin of error seems slim if you can't foul off a pitch and risk losing an entire at-bat when you need theoretically 6 or 7 runs to win a level. People are saying that the pitch sequences are determined at the start of the at-bat, thus the skill turning off doesn't even matter (its effectively ON the entire at-bat, even if it turns off). This is proven, how? Also, if it has been proven in some way, what's to say it doesn't get "fixed" so that each pitch is determined independently instead of at the start of every at-bat.
  • jmsorioles33jmsorioles33 Registered Users, Member 392 Posts
    JEDDDOGGY said:
    If you foul off a pitch in WOH, does 1st pitch turn off? I honestly don't remember since my experience using a 1st pitch guy is probably Bench recently, and then can't recall prior to that (didn't get dbl 1st pitch Brett).

I am not saying I suck at hitting, but the margin of error seems slim if you can't foul off a pitch and risk losing an entire at-bat when you need theoretically 6 or 7 runs to win a level. People are saying that the pitch sequences are determined at the start of the at-bat, thus the skill turning off doesn't even matter (its effectively ON the entire at-bat, even if it turns off). This is proven, how? Also, if it has been proven in some way, what's to say it doesn't get "fixed" so that each pitch is determined independently instead of at the start of every at-bat.
    Well, the light will go off if you miss one pitch, yes. However, the trick to first pitch and why most of us aren't worried it will change is that the outcome of the at-bat is determined PRIOR TO the first pitch based on the hit/stuff differential (with some RNG and other factors in there) at that point in time (when first pitch will always be on). The consensus based on some testing done by some of the heavy hitters on this forum is that is how the game engine works in all modes. So unless they make sweeping changes to the way the in-game programming is set up, first pitch should continue to be king.
  • scostelloscostello Registered Users, Member 44 Posts
    Well, the light will go off if you miss one pitch, yes. However, the trick to first pitch and why most of us aren't worried it will change is that the outcome of the at-bat is determined PRIOR TO the first pitch based on the hit/stuff differential (with some RNG and other factors in there) at that point in time (when first pitch will always be on). The consensus based on some testing done by some of the heavy hitters on this forum is that is how the game engine works in all modes. So unless they make sweeping changes to the way the in-game programming is set up, first pitch should continue to be king.
    So from what you are saying, then a skill like HOT HITTER will never be helpful because it's not active before the first pitch, so the pitch sequence will be determined as if no skill is active.  Is that true?
  • tshea510tshea510 Registered Users, Member 1,786 Posts
    scostello said:
    So from what you are saying, then a skill like HOT HITTER will never be helpful because it's not active before the first pitch, so the pitch sequence will be determined as if no skill is active.  Is that true?
    Maybe it because it was later in the season, but I’ve never had a problem with 2x HH as my closer in WOH. After 1st hit, lights out. Maybe I’ve just been lucky all the time 🤷‍♂️
    Just a Silver team from the wrong side of the tracks, so what do I know? 🤷
    scostello said:
    It would be active before the first pitch every at bat after you get one hit.
  • scostelloscostello Registered Users, Member 44 Posts
    edited March 2021
    I understand HH would be active after the first hit.  In WOH if the pitch sequence is determined before the first pitch, HH would not be active at that point, so the pitch sequence would be set as if your HH hitter did not have the boost (i.e. a worse hitter).  You can't hit curveballs regardless of what skill is active.  What good is HH if you are getting all curveballs if the sequence is set to FB (you get a hit), CURVE, CURVE, CURVE, etc...?

Am I making sense?
  • tshea510tshea510 Registered Users, Member 1,786 Posts
    scostello said:t
    I understand HH would be active after the first hit.  In WOH if the pitch sequence is determined before the first pitch, HH would not be active at that point, so the pitch sequence would be set as if your HH hitter did not have the boost (i.e. a worse hitter).  You can't hit curveballs regardless of what skill is active.  What good is HH if you are getting all curveballs if the sequence is set to FB (you get a hit), CURVE, CURVE, CURVE, etc...?

Am I making sense?
    I’ve never experienced that. After 1st hit, the skill set for me has been awesome.
    Just a Silver team from the wrong side of the tracks, so what do I know? 🤷
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    scostello said:

Am I making sense?
    *first pitch prior to each at bat.
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
    DFBB said:
    scostello said:

Am I making sense?
    *first pitch prior to each at bat.
    Thanks for this clarifier, when i say pitch sequence, i mean for each at bat, not the entire WOH round. Sorry if that was confusing. 
  • JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    @jmsorioles33 I'm not going to assume its difficult for them to change. They changed the way leadoff skill works, if I remember correctly.
    JEDDDOGGY said:
    @jmsorioles33 I'm not going to assume its difficult for them to change. They changed the way leadoff skill works, if I remember correctly.
    Yea id def go Morgan if you’re worried about it.