Verlander Gold 20 in Season Mode? What is this?

DODGERSYANKSDOADODGERSYANKSDOA Registered Users, Member 110 Posts

Comments

• JTPASTORJTPASTOR Registered Users, Member 456 Posts
    Will it go up to Diamond 40 Verlander? 😂
  • jalapenocubbiesjalapenocubbies Registered Users, Member 1,057 Posts
    They sort of were Diamond 40 last year. I remember Chris Sale and Kershaw being like 500+ ratings for a regular bxp pitcher. Atleast they are being honest this year and not disguising them as Level 10. 
  • BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    I’m trying to think of how banging a trash can can help a pitcher get to gold 20, but I can’t think of one. 
  • Tdub71Tdub71 Registered Users, Member 1,876 Posts
    I just faced Verlander at silver 17, so I can sympathize...
  • DODGERSYANKSDOADODGERSYANKSDOA Registered Users, Member 110 Posts
    So, I was a silver player in 2019.  Gold tier is new for me.  I am seeing in the season mode  Gold 16 , 13,  18 etc.
    Can I assume that I will also climb the Gold levels to 20 as well?  I thought gold 10 was the highest level in the gold tier.?
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    @DODGERSYANKSDOA Season mode is based off your team strength.
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
    No, you will cap at gold 10.  Season mode is always ridiculous like this.  At least this year they are telling us, instead of showing them at 10, and hoping we don't notice...
    edited March 2020
    I always keep the 3 worst hitters, and 4 worst RPs that I can get my hands on.  Put them in your subs and bullpen.  It will reduce your team strength, and may help with the matchups.

For instance:

This took my team strength from 47k to 41k.  You can also sub in a lousy SP or 2 to push it down a little more.
  • COWPILEYCOWPILEY Registered Users, Member 825 Posts
    Don’t forget the position your ML plays if he is active
    @Tdub71
    Thanks for showing me that Season Mode strategy!
    During Silver tier last year, I never saw levels higher than 10, nor did I ever had a problem ever winning.
    This year at Gold, My Arz is getting kicked! Bad!
    Thanks again.

It was something that came up last year for diamond players.  No certain who found the strategy first, but I think it might have been @JEDDDOGGY.  

The same thing was happening last year, but they always showed at S10, g10, etc... even though the ratings were clearly jacked up.
    @Tdub71
    Thanks again for that!
    Ok- so this evening, I will qualify for the Season mode playoffs again. Previously, I have lost 3 out of 3 in the quarter finals. All to players with greater than level 10 ratings. frustrating.
    I will no doubt again square off against the same teams that kicked my arse during the regular season using these greater than +10 players.  So, I have ramped my line-up as much as I could.  Even greater team strength.
    ....is this the time to give your strategy a shot?
    Yes.  Put in your best 9 hitters, put scrubs in your 3 sub spots, all RP spots except closer, and SP2-SP5.  If you are using ML, put a scrub in the position he plays, too.  That will tank your TS.  Ice wrap your ace for the playoff games, and you should be good.  You will most likely face S10 pitchers.
    I nerfed my subs and bullpen for BGs and tourneys when I was climbing through diamond last year too.  Seemed to keep me from facing the monster squads as often.

That may have been a mirage, but I feel like it helped.
  • iratepirateiratepirate Registered Users, Member 306 Posts
    edited March 2020
    In 2019, I won the finals in all 19 season mode seasons I played (by nerfing subs, etc like mentioned above). I never needed 80g boosts, but I always also nerfed SP2-SP5 and all my relievers as well as my catcher (my ML played catcher) and I used an ice wrap every game. I only had to go 3 games twice I believe in all of those playoff series.

In 2020, I have finished one season and I lost in the semis (to Minnesota) even with a desperation 80g boost in the final game.
    Keepers: Ruth/Posada/Paige. ML is SS (RHP/RHP) - I went Platinum June 17
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    This isnt really any different then previous years.  Diamond guys were dealing with Verlander at over 500 OVR last year.   Only difference is that they have a visual for how high the player is leveled in that tier, even though its not attainable normally
    @Tdub71 and @iratepirate

Thanks guys for those great inputs.  I got to get me some rinky dink 1 Star players to redo my team for the playoff tonight. Lately, I have been cashing in all my inactives just to build up my Gold-6 team. I have been thinking that it’s all about the power.  But really, it’s about strategy and finesse just like the real game.
    You guys are amazing.
    cheers ....keep you posted on how it turns out.
    TS is just eye candy.  It is cool to have a high TS for bragging rights, and such, but the real measure of the team is how it performs in WOH and tourneys, imo.  Now with cash/gold battles, that is a good measure too, I guess.
  • slafrance2slafrance2 Registered Users, Member 1,370 Posts
    So I questioned this with CS and here’s their reply. 

• ShoveItUpYoenis2ShoveItUpYoenis2 Registered Users, Member 952 Posts
    Gold 17 is nothing... just wait until you face the Gold 30 pitchers (not joking unfortunately) 
  • whammo911whammo911 Registered Users, Member 963 Posts
    hopefully there’s a limit to this. 
    @ShoveItUpYoenis2
    Gold 30 pitchers? You’re Schytn me right?
    no way!
  • JTPASTORJTPASTOR Registered Users, Member 456 Posts
    A tip that has been shared in years past is to lower your team strength for Season games until better players come out. Get 4 low 1-2 star Bronze 1 SPs, 5 low Bronze 1 Relief pitches, and 3 Bronze 1 bats and then use ice wraps to use your Ace over and over. Tedious, but it has proven to work. 
    @Tdub71 and @JTPASTOR

So I followed your strategies by injecting 1.5star scrubs into my lineup, and using ice wraps for my Ace.  The strategy did work, I finally won the season.
    My TS was reduced from 73k to 53k.

I did have to use both video boost and 40 gold boosts to beat the Astros in the quarterfinals 2-1. The Astros had the best winning percentage (~0.720)during the regular season. Their TS was still 5k above mine. 
    The semis and finals were easier 2-0 each.  But I still used 1 video boost on each round to secure the wins.

Bottomline, I have to figure out how to tweek the formula(lineup) to streamline and reduce the additional resources.   But it works.  Thanks 

• buddydavebuddydave Registered Users, Member 317 Posts
    SOOOOOOOOOOO glad I'm not playing TSB20. #SGINPTSB20
  • ShoveItUpYoenis2ShoveItUpYoenis2 Registered Users, Member 952 Posts

• tshea510tshea510 Registered Users, Member 1,786 Posts
    😂😂😂
    Just a Silver team from the wrong side of the tracks, so what do I know? 🤷