Pick'em 04/20

2Next

Comments

• xracmanxracman Registered Users, Member 666 Posts
    edited April 2020
    I picked brewers over giants before I saw rosters. No way brew crew should have won.  Same with Phillies and Cards, but I picked Phillies I’m upset.  We’ll see.   Should come down to Yankees va A’s and Dodgers vs Cards.  Going out on a big limb with that prediction.
  • tshea510tshea510 Registered Users, Member 1,786 Posts
    xracman said:
    I picked brewers over giants before I saw rosters. No way brew crew should have won.  Same with Phillies and Cards, but I picked Phillies I’m upset.  We’ll see.   Should come down to Yankees va A’s and Dodgers vs Cards.  Going out on a big limb with that prediction.
    Yeah, I watched the game 6 stream. Sheets was on fire and he never was even in same league as Marichal who was getting hit to death. Giants bats were like mine in WOH. Extra innings, Perry comes in, Brewers knock him around for the win. Crazy, no way should any of that happen. 4 games to 2 over those Giants bats? No way. I suspect Glu developers were involved somehow, someway.
    Just a Silver team from the wrong side of the tracks, so what do I know? 🤷
  • xracmanxracman Registered Users, Member 666 Posts
    Astros beating the Tigers shows a major recency bias.  Kind of surprised by ChiSox over A’s too.  
  • tshea510tshea510 Registered Users, Member 1,786 Posts
    That Astros team should never have beaten that Detroit team. From what I’ve seen of the streamed games so far, not too impressed with the programming skills or their knowledge of the game
    Just a Silver team from the wrong side of the tracks, so what do I know? 🤷
  • sullipa8sullipa8 Registered Users, Member 564 Posts
    There is major recency bias in these matchups.  Look at the Astros first round matchup. Yeah, the Orioles suck now, but that was not the case in the 60s and 70. Plus they had some good teams in the early 80s and mid 90s. But if you look at the box score, it’s ridiculous. Eddie Murray, who had over 3000 hits and 500 Hrs, hit .059 with 1hr. Frank Robinson, who won the triple crown in both leagues hit only .294. There were some other guys like Ripken, Brooks Robinson. Palmeiro, and Roberto Alomar whose numbers were ridiculously low. But Adam Jones, who wasn’t better than any of the above listed players, hit .385.

Then on the Astros side, Moises Alou hit .571. Lance Berkman .500, and Bregman .375. You can’t tell me any of those 3 were better than Frank Robinson and probably not better than Eddie Murray. So it just goes to show you how much these games were tilted towards the current era of baseball. I’m sure if you looked at most every boxscore, you would see the same types of things.
  • fahhq2fahhq2 Registered Users, Member 850 Posts
    sullipa8 said:
    There is major recency bias in these matchups.  Look at the Astros first round matchup. Yeah, the Orioles suck now, but that was not the case in the 60s and 70. Plus they had some good teams in the early 80s and mid 90s. But if you look at the box score, it’s ridiculous. Eddie Murray, who had over 3000 hits and 500 Hrs, hit .059 with 1hr. Frank Robinson, who won the triple crown in both leagues hit only .294. There were some other guys like Ripken, Brooks Robinson. Palmeiro, and Roberto Alomar whose numbers were ridiculously low. But Adam Jones, who wasn’t better than any of the above listed players, hit .385.

Then on the Astros side, Moises Alou hit .571. Lance Berkman .500, and Bregman .375. You can’t tell me any of those 3 were better than Frank Robinson and probably not better than Eddie Murray. So it just goes to show you how much these games were tilted towards the current era of baseball. I’m sure if you looked at most every boxscore, you would see the same types of things.
    It all boils down to who uses trashcans...
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    edited April 2020
    xracman said:
    Astros beating the Tigers shows a major recency bias.  Kind of surprised by ChiSox over A’s too.  
    Too add onto what @sullipa8 said, I was actually surprised the Astros got by the Orioles with some of the pitching the Orioles would have with like Cuellar, Palmer, Mussina, etc. 
  • RookieTapperRookieTapper Registered Users, Member 160 Posts
    Sidenote: did anyone check their latest pick ‘em? Mine is showing that I got them all wrong and that the correct answers were No, No, No. Anyone else have this problem? 
  • TheTuckwagonTheTuckwagon Registered Users, Member 9 Posts
    Sidenote: did anyone check their latest pick ‘em? Mine is showing that I got them all wrong and that the correct answers were No, No, No. Anyone else have this problem? 
    Same
  • RookieTapperRookieTapper Registered Users, Member 160 Posts
    @TheTuckwagon I’m sure it’ll be fixed, I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t the only one 
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    Answers to both pickems were YYY