What is needed to compete at Platinum?

TimidDeuceTimidDeuce Registered Users, Member 87 Posts
I have all the spreadsheets around resources needed to level players from G10 through platinum.  What I want to know is whether it’s possibly to roster a competitive team without spending dollars, and how many capped players it takes to be competitive in each format.

I realize this is all anecdotal but curious to hear the thoughts and experiences of anyone who has played through platinum (and beyond).  In past years I have prioritized WOH but trying to maintain a well-rounded team and not hamstring myself by progressing too quickly. In 2019 I never went past gold.  Roster is as follows, I have stopped leveling my keepers for now since they aren’t returning on the investment at this point in the game:

Comments

• BearmeatBearmeat Registered Users, Member 576 Posts
    You’ll need to look at the charts that @dfbb posted.  Off the bat, you’ll need a lot more blue cash. You’ll also need to ask yourself why are you going platinum. Once you go past gold, you need to understand what that means. Tiers directly correlate with time spent. Money helps too. 
  • TimidDeuceTimidDeuce Registered Users, Member 87 Posts
    I know ll about the resource requirements, I guess what I'm asking is more around player leveling and roster construction.  For example, what do I need in start of pitching rotation?  One Ace maxed at P10?  5 starters leveled to P3?  Leave them at G10?

Similarly for my hitters, should I Max by 5 best players or evenly level guys up to P5?  even my studs aren't great in WOH for G10 - what is needed to be successful at Platinum level? 

These are the types of insights I'm looking for, I've modeled the resource requirements so I know exactly what I need to level guys, just trying to figure out what the best way to spread my resources.  I have the means to generate a ton more cash and BXP through a cache of loyalty points and draft picks.   
  • whammo911whammo911 Registered Users, Member 963 Posts
    Max as many bats as you can, one ace...and start from their and you should be fine
    Bearmeat said:
    You’ll need to look at the charts that @dfbb posted.  Off the bat, you’ll need a lot more blue cash. You’ll also need to ask yourself why are you going platinum. Once you go past gold, you need to understand what that means. Tiers directly correlate with time spent. Money helps too. 
    I spend a lot of time playing the game, in place of spending money, and have since TSB2017.  I stuck to Gold last year after playing Diamond in 2018 but I'm tempted to move to platinum if it's viable for F2P mainly to make WOH more interesting and maintain some level of progression.  Part of this is likely driven by the lack of actual baseball (and fantasy) and moving up is a means of keeping things interesting.  
  • RippersRippers Registered Users, Member 332 Posts
    If you intend to stay F2P then you might want to consider the amount of XP needed to cap a shiny new player in Platinum and Diamond. It is much more difficult when Prime and then Legend players come out. I went Diamond last year and cycled D6 about 4 times a week. Very time consuming. I may stay Gold this year because I  like to cap a new player immediately. I can beat WOH  multiple times so far but that could change at any time. 
    Bearmeat said:
    I spend a lot of time playing the game, in place of spending money, and have since TSB2017.  I stuck to Gold last year after playing Diamond in 2018 but I'm tempted to move to platinum if it's viable for F2P mainly to make WOH more interesting and maintain some level of progression.  Part of this is likely driven by the lack of actual baseball (and fantasy) and moving up is a means of keeping things interesting.  
    There’s no such thing as a F2P platinum/diamond player. Field pass has become a must. Or, an autotap 3rd party software to smash out BGs. You can disagree all you want, or feel this isn’t what’s going on, but it’s the actual truth. Unless you do either of those, you will not be competitive 
    Bearmeat said:
    Bearmeat said:
    There’s no such thing as a F2P platinum/diamond player. Field pass has become a must. Or, an autotap 3rd party software to smash out BGs. You can disagree all you want, or feel this isn’t what’s going on, but it’s the actual truth. Unless you do either of those, you will not be competitive 
    That's the impression I've gotten since last year, and why I stayed gold for 2019.  I was thinking depending on the matchup algorithm changes, when you start butting up against the top of the Gold progression and start getting matched up with Platinum teams anyway, it may be worth jumping - but that hasn't been my experience this year so far and I've played 3k+ games.

I appreciate the insights from you all, and invite more input from others as well since my calculus will change as the year progresses and game dynamics continue to evolve. 
  • Tdub71Tdub71 Registered Users, Member 1,876 Posts
    You can do diamond without spending money, or an autotapper.  I did it from January on last year.  As far a "competing", @Bearmeat is right, you definitely won't be top-tier, but being competitive is relative.  I was pretty happy with my results.
    There’s loads of guys on here like @Bigpredfan,@dkarski87, @retirepujols and many more that can guide. But it’s in my best opinion- unless you’re willing to spend, its best to stay gold or below
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    Imo f2p platinum is doable if you're disciplined enough to not chase players each event or want points for each event. If you can truly only play certain events and/or be extremely picky with whi you level ig can be done. Watch all 500 videos daily, of course, and build a woh squad for bxp. When primes are released, though, you may wish you've stayed gold. I'm not disciplined and I always want more points and the best guys in every box. I don't know why I punish myself 🤯
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    F2P and choosing your tier can go hand in hand, but not necessarily. You have to remember as you move up that time=money. If you have the time to play the games needed to continue cycling D6, and you have the time to cycle WOH like crazy on Monday and Royale, then you can do diamond cheaply. 

I’ll be diamond at some point and I know that I won’t be able to level primes when they are first released. You have to pick your spots. 
    Update: I was getting matched up with platinum team anyway to I went platinum.  GLU wins, and I’m still competing so I guess I win too.  Time to shift my strategy around who to keep and how to level, but that adds a dimension to the game that I enjoy and is something to do.
  • sucios08sucios08 Registered Users, Member 130 Posts
    question i went platinum too and level all my player at p10 right away was that bad ?
  • sucios08sucios08 Registered Users, Member 130 Posts
    at this point should i trade all no skill players and 315max  players that are sitting on my bench  ? 
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    depends on your definition of compete?   For lots that means clearing woh.
    You can get that done with 5 capped bats, thats about what I had and it was work but was able to cycle cap that day.   Make sure to bring a guy that's good for Corbin.   That's my main weakness right now, as I foil Xander who is slowly getting behind the curve right now.   I'll probably go diamond once I have a decent option to replace him.
    I'm in a club with .3 level discount this weekend, so my first move is prioritizing leveling whatever strong players I pull this weekend - hoping for an Ace and solid bat with relevant skills.  Then will level enough additional bats on Monday to be effective in WOH and allow my to cycle cap (fingers crossed for AT LEAST 2 skill max 315).  Next, I'll amass resources as much as I can and wait for the next MAX bump and consider maxing one or more of my keepers.