Doc's Early Season WoH SILVER Observations: Good, Bad, Ugly, and Off The Charts Cheating

drsmartassphddrsmartassphd Registered Users, Member 3,133 Posts

Summary: Doc has spent too many hours playing WoH with a souped up line up and is sharing observations to help others at Silver. Doc's early advice: go gold, but I also want to hear about gold players here too before I make the jump. If gold players say "yeah I can win it, but only once or twice", I will likely stay silver longer as I just want to win once anyway at silver bc I have enough resources to cap at silver (for now). This is long, so don't read if you don't feel like it.

First off, this isn't a whining thread. Swear. I'm sharing observations to help others at this level. Period. Like last year, I do plan on going gold, but I will wait until I'm damn good and ready. Until then, I'm enjoying other aspects of this game (HR derby, for example) and dominating them too. I am building two different lineups, essentially. One for WoH and one for Slugbashathon.

Despite not spending more than about 4K in gold this year (just leveling players...Have 156K stashed), I have been VERY lucky in building a solid squad to be able to get a good feel for WoH now. A few weeks ago I expected to get nowhere, but still was able to win once. Now I have a solid group capped out at Silver, and am using the Belli from yesterday (S10 both skills at 8) as my new closer against righties in Royale.

Here are my 2020 observations for WoH:

The Good: I struggle here to find a "good" because the game play is seriously altered. Not as smooth as it has been due to the manufactured difficulty. When I am getting curved out on Level 1.4, even at Silver, that is just dumb. I'll complain more later, but the one "good" is that you can't just hit the ball the other way any longer and get hit after hit. I DO like that aspect of it. Similar to the approach I had with Ruth last year. Once I figured out which pitches to pull, I owned him. Which leads to...

The BAD: With the manufactured difficulty, there are often situations where you can get the same pitch, hit it any direction, and it won't matter. You will get a noodle bat. Fast ball you just hit in the gap the pitch before, even if you time it right, may be a pop up. Makes no sense, but when you get them consistently and can hit them in spots consistently, you will win that round.

The Ugly: The magic force field, diving infielders, and HoF outfielders. Nothing worse than hammering a fast ball, only to see the screen "skip", then the ball just come to a stop with either a slow roll or just pop up. Give it up if that happens. Your round is over. Slam a ball and the infielder dives? LOL again, give it up. This is all manufactured difficulty meant for a "challenge". I don't want to get started on nerf bat either. Good lord. Go from killing  the ball to "gloop". Your round is over.

The Blatant Cheating: Holy moly this has been taken up several notches this year, especially at Silver. Once you hit level 5, the "pitch calling" is at 30, which means no matter how good your hitter is, there is going to be tons of BS beyond your control. Once you reach 5.7, at silver EVERY round either starts with one cheat out OR, the cheating starts when you get the tying run on second base. If you have the tying run on second and you are seeing straight pitches, that's your RNG chance. You better win. You better know which pitches to pull too.You will only get one or two shots. If you get into Extra Innings at silver starting at about 5.8, 90% of the time you will be straight up "9 and out" and "lose". I've made it to extras in this scenario yesterday about 40 times, and was 9 and outed at least 30 of them. The others started with two cheat outs, then dead bat. I only got ONE runner on base in extras on Level 6. LOLOLOL. I won ONE extra innings round against 5.8.

When you get to Level 6 at Silver, about 50% of the early rounds will start out with TWO cheat outs, then you get to hit the last one (you only need one run anyway, so you get one chance to win). When you get to the later rounds, you will need about 8-10 tries before you get the right RNG. What I am learning to do is TRY to take the cheat outs and at least move runners. I've had success doing this several times, but 90% of the time you can't make contact. And again, as soon as you get the tying run in scoring position on 6.8-6.10, the cheating goes haywire.

Between last night and this morning, I got the same sequence of cheating THREE TIMES with 6.10 using capped out Belli with 80 gold: Start the round out with several hits to make the game 8-6, bases loaded, no out. Once ZG just straight up nine and outed me. I wanted to move runners at least to try and tie, but the pitches were so far outside that I couldn't make contact. Just brutal. Video reboot, 9 and out again. I basically paid 160 gold to find out I'm good enough to beat it, but I got GLUed. 18 straight to make sure I couldn't win when I got the tying run on second with no out. LOLOL

The next two times it was this pattern: Same scenario, I load the bases, no outs, 8-6. Cheat out, then noodle bat a fat fastball (that I had hit earlier for singles or doubles) for a pop up to the warning track that moves NO runners, then another noodle slow roller in the infield. Video reboot, 2 cheat outs, noodle out, game over.  My other seven or 8 against ZG were all cheat out, then maybe one or two hits, then noodle bat. But, just like 2019, if you start 6.10 with a cheat out, round over.

Am I having fun? Yes. Will this get tiring very quickly? Yes. The skill factor for WoH was already "low", but now it is really all RNG and that's it. Doesn't matter how good you are, at least at Silver!

Just a few weeks away from going Gold....

Yes, we are aware of the game having crashing issues in the middle of WoH, but we can't compensate you for the gold you lost at this time. This is done on a case by case basis. - TSB Customer Service

Prev1

Comments

• BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    I skipped right to the end to tell you to go platinum 
  • drsmartassphddrsmartassphd Registered Users, Member 3,133 Posts
    I won’t be growing that sack, ever. Not man enough. Have no desire to spend that kind of time or money. Lol

Yes, we are aware of the game having crashing issues in the middle of WoH, but we can't compensate you for the gold you lost at this time. This is done on a case by case basis. - TSB Customer Service

• fahhq2fahhq2 Registered Users, Member 850 Posts
    I’m guessing you don’t play slot machines? “Jeez, I pull the handle the same way I did when I won the jackpot, but it just doesn’t let me win the jackpot each time...schucks!”
  • tshea510tshea510 Registered Users, Member 1,786 Posts
    fahhq2 said:
    I’m guessing you don’t play slot machines? “Jeez, I pull the handle the same way I did when I won the jackpot, but it just doesn’t let me win the jackpot each time...schucks!”
    There’s a handle? 🤔
    Just a Silver team from the wrong side of the tracks, so what do I know? 🤷
    edited May 2020
    Well you are right in the sense that WoH, like a one armed bandit, is the same concept: there is no skill involved mostly. You are at the mercy of a rigged system you drop your money into.

• eman0023eman0023 Registered Users, Member 156 Posts
    I went Gold a week ago. WoH is tough but manageable with some resolve. If you got a top of the line LHB and RHB, I would make the jump if I were you. 
    But can you clear it six or seven times so you can cycle cap? 

• eman0023eman0023 Registered Users, Member 156 Posts
    But can you clear it six or seven times so you can cycle cap? 
    Over a weekend? Yes. I did three times yesterday probably 2 hour cycles. Monday my team wasn’t great by any means and I still did 3-4 times
  • slafrance2slafrance2 Registered Users, Member 1,370 Posts
    edited May 2020
    We missed these Doc 😊

and I’m gonna disagree with @Bigpredfan you need to grind out diamond 
    I’m definitely never living diamond life. No patience for that.

• JTPASTORJTPASTOR Registered Users, Member 456 Posts
    Stay silver. RNG can be funny at Gold. Sometimes I get several cycles. Sometimes just 2. Of course the reward can justify using some gold per cycle but even Eaton won’t make my team at a 315. 
    Good to know, @JTPASTOR. Based on what I’m seeing with this manufactured BS, my guess is only Plat or Diamond guys can enjoy the games at high levels. I’m killing season, tourneys and HR bash at Silver now. May just stay, but man it blows having to wait hours for the game not to cheat.

My beef has always been season mode. BG, Prime have never bothered me at Silver. And everyone knows how I despise WOH except for the resources one can get. If the player reward was actually the best player one could acquire, I’d be all over WOH. But season mode is a head scratcher for me. 99-17 first season, won the playoffs. 111-5 this season, swept in first round with 80g boosts and scrubs on the bench, etc. Silver just doesn’t present the obstacles for me as it does others, except for season, so I’m not seeing a reason to jump. 🤷‍♂️
  • mythicaldragonmythicaldragon Registered Users, Member 2,418 Posts
     @drsmartassphd you just need to go platinum or diamond and ur cycling problems will be solved.. you then will be able to spend all ur time and resources cycling weekly for a 2nd rate pine rider 👍🏻
  • dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    @mythicaldragon u sound bitter. lol
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
    edited May 2020
    dkarski87 said:
    @mythicaldragon u sound bitter. lol
    Not at all brother.. I’m just pointing out the facts nothing no one doesn’t already know of course. Lol Woh is not what it was I guess that’s the tough part to accept for those that have been around for awhile. No bitterness here just sarcasm 🤷🏻‍♂️ If I were bitter I would be complaining about posts in threads created for....ahh never mind 
    Lol cheers 🍻 buddy 😉
  • dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    lol, I do agree with you. Last year you could get away with killin WOH in gold tier. This year not so much thus far. This year Plat seems to be the sweet spot.
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
    dkarski87 said:
    lol, I do agree with you. Last year you could get away with killin WOH in gold tier. This year not so much thus far. This year Plat seems to be the sweet spot.
    Right... I’m really hoping they make some adjustments to woh rewards difficulty etc. I sure miss it. Doubtful they will as they have proven to be set in their ways.. but hopeful 🤞
    After all the brutal heartache today.....

I win on an error that scores two with two out on a pitch I didn’t time correctly 

Oh this damn game 

So does he even make your team???
  • 25Jackie25Jackie Registered Users, Member 245 Posts
    Doc you quit the game, then you were only farming gold, now you are silver.  Silver gets you nothing. Go Gold. You are a character to watch... lol
    tshea510 said:
    So does he even make your team???
    Yes he does. My team wasn’t that strong, but I do have WoH closers, at least for Royale.

I am also happy to report I won a round in extras last night too on Level 6. First one all weekend I didn’t get curved out.

• TheFullMonteTheFullMonte Registered Users, Member 1,589 Posts
    Here is my (rather optimistic) hope @drsmartassphd

my Hope is that the difficulty of WOH was set at the beginning of the year as a means of incentive pro chase new players, buy more boxes, etc.  needing the top line players

my hope is that we see the difficulty remain same-ish as these players become more common and plentiful 
    Maybe. Regardless today the cheating is taken up a notch, at least for me. I can’t get past 3.5. Batter up, 9 in the other box, round over. How can they get away with this? It’s so blatant that it’s becoming stale. I was going to play this most of the day but Im done now. This is really pointless.

• toddgurley30toddgurley30 Registered Users, Member 252 Posts
    I’ve noticed with Royale woh that You get better rng if you just watch a video than spend 80 gold.  
  • redlegs2018uredlegs2018u Registered Users, Member 1,048 Posts
    For me picking up Bellinger has improved my Royale WoH experience.  It’s still not what it was like in Gold in ‘19 when it wasn’t if I was going to win, rather how many times should I try to win for exp etc, which intensified when I went up to diamond.  I liken Gold this season to kinda close to what silver was like in ‘19, when I could win a couple or 3 times if I grinded it but would have pitfalls (3.6,3.8,4.6 etc).  3.10, 4.8, 6.9 seem to give me the most problems with Royale.  I had about a 40% win rate this weekend which is a stark improvement over the right around 10% I’d experienced up until now.  I have an adequate gold team (2 330 players from the right side, Bellinger and two 320 foils from the left side with ML and one keeper capped as of tonight so I do get more attempts at the end of the tower now.). 

I’m still of the mind though that at current rewards the tower needs to lose a level on Royale days or level 6 should be like the hardest tower level 5 is with level 1 vs 10 pitchers.  Getting your players capped at a tier if they are relatively current should afford you at least some advantage than they do currently.  Skills are obviously important too but folks who play a lot of this are usually investing in those.  I don’t want to have it so simple that I win 25-30 times in 12 hours like at some points in ‘19 but a slight adjustment down would pique more interest from more people.  Some will bitch no matter what but in its current state it is slightly more difficult than it should be.
  • sullipa8sullipa8 Registered Users, Member 564 Posts
    For those who aren’t aware, cheating is code for “This is harder than I want it to be and I have to work at it to achieve it. But I don’t want to want to put in the work, I just want it handed to me. And if it’s not, I’ll just say it’s cheating because that’s easier than putting in effort.” 
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    sullipa8 said:
    For those who aren’t aware, cheating is code for “This is harder than I want it to be and I have to work at it to achieve it. But I don’t want to want to put in the work, I just want it handed to me. And if it’s not, I’ll just say it’s cheating because that’s easier than putting in effort.” 
    Sounds a lot like my marriage..
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • TheFullMonteTheFullMonte Registered Users, Member 1,589 Posts
    sullipa8 said:

I think most people that have played a significant amount of this game understand there are RNG fluctuations,

But the Dr is right, it is "different" this year.  Despite cycling successfully a couple of times already, I had a 4-5 hour window yesterday when I couldn't get through level 3.  I'm not talking being unable to beat 6.10...I'm talking halfway through the freaking thing, a 330 hitter with two active skills at 8/8 losing repeatedly mid way through the round 

• sullipa8sullipa8 Registered Users, Member 564 Posts
    sullipa8 said:

I think most people that have played a significant amount of this game understand there are RNG fluctuations,

But the Dr is right, it is "different" this year.  Despite cycling successfully a couple of times already, I had a 4-5 hour window yesterday when I couldn't get through level 3.  I'm not talking being unable to beat 6.10...I'm talking halfway through the freaking thing, a 330 hitter with two active skills at 8/8 losing repeatedly mid way through the round 

Right, it is harder this year. The difficulty is greater than it was last year. And the rewards are not what they were last year, making it more frustrating that the difficulty is up. But the game still works the exact same way it always has. It’s just harder and takes more work than it did last year, which was harder than it was the year before.