Gold Player Upgrades

RolypolyalldayRolypolyallday Registered Users, Member 23 Posts
I was wondering how you all have the opportunity to upgrade your players in gold so often. I rarely ever seen to have enough upgrade tokens to get past G1. Any advice helps!

Comments

• JTANDMEJTANDME Registered Users, Member 767 Posts
    best advice I can give is to be selective who you level. If you are talking EVO tokens... I have a feeling you are in for troubles if you are already short.
  • 2020KC2020KC Registered Users, Member 711 Posts
    Yeah evo makes this game easier.
    you can't spell deteriorate without detroit
  • RolypolyalldayRolypolyallday Registered Users, Member 23 Posts
    My Evo tokens are fine right now, it's the bxp that I'm lacking in!
  • 2020KC2020KC Registered Users, Member 711 Posts
    Well..the only advice I have then is to Pick one guy..cap him. move on to the next...trade in your draft picks and repeat...eventually you will get somewhere with it.
    you can't spell deteriorate without detroit
    Then I have another question:
    Should I keep my extra guys for events or just trade them in for xp?
  • ShoveItUpYoenis2ShoveItUpYoenis2 Registered Users, Member 952 Posts
    At this point if they don’t make your team better then trade them in. You can’t repull them for more bxp after the event so why keep them. 
  • Tdub71Tdub71 Registered Users, Member 1,876 Posts
    Definitely keep them through the end of the event, just in case you get the repulls, but if they don't make your roster better, they are xp as soon as the chance for repulls is over.
  • TimidDeuceTimidDeuce Registered Users, Member 87 Posts
    At this point if they don’t make your team better then trade them in. You can’t repull them for more bxp after the event so why keep them. 
    I keep all my box pulls (bench space permitting) because Glu cycles old boxes in about a month later pretty frequently.  I had Luke Voit at G2 and Joey Gallo at G1 which was a nice bonus for WOH yesterday.  I pulled Voit twice from the May 4th boxes and got about 7k XP compared with ~2k if I had traded him in.  

With that said, my bench is pretty full and the chances of return on keeping those players is pretty low, but if they do pop up it's a nice bonus.  I also don't need the XP so I hold them until I need the roster spot and trade them in then based on some hand-wavey prioritization logic.
  • iratepirateiratepirate Registered Users, Member 306 Posts
    edited May 2020
    How about re-draftable (non-animated) players? Does anyone else keep some 4 - 5 star offensive players around?

I think if you have the 30% discount going, you can level them to S1, and come out slightly ahead on BXP even if you immediately trade them in (then redrafting/repulling them is really nice). I like to take them through the gold/evo level up to S1 (which is really cheap going from B10 to S1).

Also, if you have no bonus players for a particular day, you can sometimes stick one of these S1 dudes in the lineup (if like today, for example, any Reds batter gets 5000 points per RBI). This can get you some lower tier club rewards at the end of the event.

Even B1 players can score points for you. You just need to be able to still win games with that one weakling in the lineup.
    Keepers: Ruth/Posada/Paige. ML is SS (RHP/RHP) - I went Platinum June 17
  • SandlotGuruSandlotGuru Registered Users, Member 285 Posts
    @iratepirate - I am a hoarder of 3.5 star pitchers - I level them all to B10 and then rake in the XP from repulls.  I think 3.5 star guys are the best value because of how frequently you repull them, particularly because you get a fair number from 2nd round picks.  At this point I think I have every pitcher at that level.  I don't keep the 3.5 star batters because it gets annoying to cycle through and make frequent lineup changes.  
    edited May 2020
    That's so cool! I wondered about whether it would be smarter to keep lower-star players because of how infrequently the 4*/4.5*/5* players get pulled. I think I will follow your lead. 
    Thanks!
    This strategy is especially effective for diamond players.  Just today I've earned 250 2nd round picks playing bonus games - which should translate into a good slug of XP.
    Huh interesting. So from what I'm hearing, I should keep my players pulled form the boxes but trade in any player that is a base card?
    @Rolypolyallday - opinions vary on this.  For guys that are focused on club points, they typically hold on to bonus players because in a month or two Glu will reuse the old boxes and those players will again have value for a brief period of time.  My personal approach is to dump all bonus players once the event ends (unless I've fully levelled them) and to keep the 3.5 star base pitchers.  We will be repulling the base players all year long, so I have this grand vision of having an army of P10 scrubs and to be rolling in XP by this summer.
    edited May 2020
    This strategy is especially effective for diamond players.  Just today I've earned 250 2nd round picks playing bonus games - which should translate into a good slug of XP.
    Since I won't be acquiring a huge number of draft picks, I wonder if I might be better off, instead of holding onto 3.5-star players, holding onto 4-star hitters, because they can show up as the booby prize in boxes and be used as bonus players when that happens like Grichuk, Belt and Seager right now being worth 15,000 per hit. Also, Trey Mancini is in the current gold tourney box (only at 3% odds though).

Then I would have more ways to pull them (boxes and draft picks). This would help offset the fact that pulling them as draft picks is less likely than pulling 3.5-star players. 

On the other hand, aren't their fewer 4-star base players out there than 3.5-star base players? If so, wouldn't that also somewhat offset the lower likelihood of drafting 4s vs 3.5s? 
    The 4-star players in the boxes are unique, low level bonus players, which cannot be re-pulled from draft picks, so they are truly only valuable while the box is available.  I wouldn't recommend keeping those beyond each event.  I'm not sure how many 3.5 vs 4 star players there are in the draft picks pool - but I have exactly 50 3.5 star pitchers and haven't gotten a new one recently.  To me the 3.5 vs 4 star argument comes down to re-pull value and frequency.  Re-pulling a 4 star player at P10 is worth about 5,000 XP, vs about 3,900 for a 3.5 star, but the draft pick odds say that you going to pull significantly more 3.5 stars than 4 stars, so I'm putting all my eggs in that basket.  
    edited May 2020
    "The 4-star players in the boxes are unique, low level bonus players, which cannot be re-pulled from draft picks"

That blows my idea out of the water. I think I'll go with your exact plan (3.5* pitchers). Seems solid.
    Maybe one day I'll have enough BXP to level my keepers' skills.
    Thanks again for the info!