Player boxes the day before an event

SheetFreakSheetFreak Registered Users, Member 89 Posts
Has anyone ever had a player box pop up for purchase before an event? Like the day before?
Special edition players, current max overalls, but you don't recognize the name of the box and you're pretty sure it's not an even that's already happened?

Comments

• BearmeatBearmeat Registered Users, Member 576 Posts
    Has anyone ever had a player box pop up for purchase before an event? Like the day before?
    Special edition players, current max overalls, but you don't recognize the name of the box and you're pretty sure it's not an even that's already happened?
    Ya. It happens a dozen or so times a year. Buyer Beware though...the players and skills have a tendency to (cough cough) change upon actual release. 
  • SheetFreakSheetFreak Registered Users, Member 89 Posts
    I am just kind of curious......not saying it just happened, i bought it and I know whats coming tomorrow.

Just a thought about if it was a possibility or anything like that.
  • mythicaldragonmythicaldragon Registered Users, Member 2,418 Posts
    So disappointing... 
  • Tdub71Tdub71 Registered Users, Member 1,876 Posts
    If that Acuna holds up, he would be pretty nice.  There is no chance that I could pull him, but it's fun to dream...
  • mythicaldragonmythicaldragon Registered Users, Member 2,418 Posts
    I’m just puzzled that still no update... no primes 🤔
  • FrankTheTank04FrankTheTank04 Registered Users, Member 1,092 Posts
    Maybe they're saving all the good stuff for Memorial Day weekend.
    Just no.  
  • Itsouttahere2Itsouttahere2 Registered Users, Member 697 Posts
    So they can really shove it deep!
    The box I saw had mallex Smith at 330.
    Acuna wasn't in my base bandits box. 

I pulled Santana though. I'll see what he's like tomorrow. 
  • iratepirateiratepirate Registered Users, Member 306 Posts
    edited May 2020
    Keepers: Ruth/Posada/Paige. ML is SS (RHP/RHP) - I went Platinum June 17
    edited May 2020
    Yes he would.

Which probably means keeper bump too? 
  • Tdub71Tdub71 Registered Users, Member 1,876 Posts
    Yes he would.

Which probably means keeper bump too? 
    🤞
  • ThumbstersThumbsters Registered Users, Member 267 Posts
    Maybe they're saving all the good stuff for Memorial Day weekend.
    This is where my head has been. 
    And maybe one of those 5-day Double Gold binges, like Easter weekend (I think it was Easter Weekend?)
  • navyjack77navyjack77 Registered Users, Member 1,299 Posts
    Just to make sure you guys are paying attention, that Santana skill is early innings, not late. Can only imagine the posts that will come across tomorrow about that. The fact that they are only increasing the Max overall on the top guy by 5 or 10 points is what is so disappointing about this if it holds up.
    In this case, you can see this with multiple guys now, they are trying to make "skill sets".

Early innings + hot streak.
    You have the boost to get that early hit + continuing said streak with more hits. Not great for WOH, but in BGs it works.

You can also see combos of things like lead-off + first pitch.

It's not ideal, but that is relatively clearly what they are doing. Santana might actually be decent in BGs with that. (I have Gurriel and my Legend is a 1st base, so I doubt I'll keep him. But I can see how he could be useful. If he's a bonus for BGs on Wed and Thurs, I might just have found a new lead-off hitter)

Not to mention  the switch hitter. Which is always nice. Switch hitter who starts every game with a skill bump, regardless of the pitchers handedness and the potential to light up that second skill early and have 1 skill active all game. Far from horrible. Just not great for WOH.

Most everyone is going to focus on WOH, but he is useful in other modes. Players where both skills can be active at the same time are ideal (he can have both active after his first hit in the first 3 innings still) are obviously ideal, but not everyone is going to get that.
    I actually just compared.
    Foil Gurriel (my current incumbent 1st baseman) has the same hit rating and skill vs lefties and hot streak. Bats right handed.
    Santana (assuming his stats/skills don't change) skill early innings and hot streak. Switch hitter.

Gurriel goes against a righty pitcher. He starts the game with zero skill boosts.
    Santana at least starts the game with early innings regardless of the pitcher.

Gurriel is 335 max
    Santana is 330 max

With the same hit rating, who is better? Gurriel because he's a foil?

The more I look at it, the more I'm starting to like Santana. Might just keep him around. Have the both for WOH, Santana for BGs.