Keepers - What’s the Point?

weissguy5000weissguy5000 Registered Users, Member 1 Posts
I have been avidly playing the 2020 version of the game since mid-March and the ability to bring Keepers over from the 2019 version continues to seem as pointless as it did almost 3 months ago. The handicap that the game has forced onto those Keepers has made them unusable on my 2020 team up to this point, with no indication that will change. Why has the Keeper handicap been decreasing at such an incredibly slow pace? What is the point of allowing and encouraging players to select Keepers from the 2019 game if we will never be able to utilize them in a functional way?At this point, I can’t be the only one whose collected players whose stats would trump those of my Keepers even without their current handicaps, making them even more useless. Throughout my time playing this game, my Keepers have served as permanently Inactive Players and I don’t get the sense that will change at any point. I’d rather just cash them in to get XP to put towards players who actually have value and I can’t even do that. Am I missing something?
Prev1

Comments

• TheLegend17TheLegend17 Registered Users, Member 373 Posts
    Because if you had 3 dominant players on your roster, you'd be less likely to want to spend money to get better players. 100% of what this terrible company does is profit driven (yes they are in it to make money) They are just the lowest of the lowest level of dirty, greedy scoundrels. Scoundrels because I haven't used that word in a long time 
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    Currently, if you chose ideal keepers, they’re the best in the game. I don’t expect that to be the cause for too long, but in the meanwhile, I’m loving it.
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • RippersRippers Registered Users, Member 332 Posts
    My keepers are Brett (DBL vs RHP), Wagner (DBL vs LHP), and Paige. Brett and Wagner have been closing  WOH all season with a great success rate. Paige is still my Ace. I don't use Brett or Wagner for any other event.
    Rippers said:
    My keepers are Brett (DBL vs RHP), Wagner (DBL vs LHP), and Paige. Brett and Wagner have been closing  WOH all season with a great success rate. Paige is still my Ace. I don't use Brett or Wagner for any other event.
    You have a 3b that’s better than Brett in non-woh modes? 
  • BigBibbins333BigBibbins333 Registered Users, Member 243 Posts
    edited June 2020
    My keepers have the best stat lines of all my players, only slightly ahead of my legend.
  • RippersRippers Registered Users, Member 332 Posts
    DFBB said:
    I've got Arenado and Rendon.
  • Tdub71Tdub71 Registered Users, Member 1,876 Posts
    Agree.  I kept Ferrell (double HH), and Babe (double ROB).  Their hit/power ratings are still within a couple points of the 345 maxes (in gold)  Hoyt's stuff rating is 238 in gold (345 Scherzer is only 221).  

I am closing with Ferrell at a pretty good clip in WOH.  They are clearly still among the best, if you chose wisely.
    Rippers said:
    DFBB said:
    I've got Arenado and Rendon.
    Brett will outperform them by a considerable margin.
  • dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    I hate to say this, it really burns me at my core. But I agree with @DFBB
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
  • iratepirateiratepirate Registered Users, Member 306 Posts
    ruth and posada are still valuable to me. investing in their skills has been worth it for sure. 

paige is my SP1. he had fallen to SP5, but the two recent bumps sent him back to SP1. 
    Keepers: Ruth/Posada/Paige. ML is SS (RHP/RHP) - I went Platinum June 17
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    This is just a case of someone focusing on max overall rather than individual ratings and performance. 
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71

Want to know why the first three have a higher max overall (right now)? Compare the ever so important speed ratings..
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • fatDaddyfatDaddy Registered Users, Member 318 Posts
    I made a mistake by not bringing over a 600 pitcher, but my hitters are still WoH maniacs. 
  • ToughthundercatsToughthundercats Registered Users, Member 1,959 Posts
    I have kept Babe and Brett double right handed skills. Babe has been raking in all modes, Brett as well but like Babe only difference is Brett is killing it closing for me at WoH. I kept Wilhelm. He's been doing okay but I wonder if Paige would've been a better choice now that Sherzer has taken over as my ace.🤷‍♂️
    I say Hoyt is clearly the best keeper pitcher.  That stuff rating...
  • ToughthundercatsToughthundercats Registered Users, Member 1,959 Posts
    Tdub71 said:
    I say Hoyt is clearly the best keeper pitcher.  That stuff rating...
    I get it...I not saying he's horrible he's really good but Sherzer is striking out 20+ per game and with some no's no's and a perfect game. I would have expected some what the same from Hoyt with that stuff rating he's got
  • [Glu Sports] blueleopard[Glu Sports] blueleopard Administrator, Moderators 815 Posts
    Not everybody plays hardcore like you all do. Some people just like to collect their favorite players and call it a day.  If you can bring him over to the next version, even better.
  • dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    There not playing correctly then, sorry.
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
  • tshea510tshea510 Registered Users, Member 1,786 Posts
    edited June 2020
    dkarski87 said:
    I’m tired of sticking my head out of the bunker and getting shot at but.......”not playing correctly”? People can play however they want, I guess I need the Manual the good Doc always refers to. Also, it’s “they’re” and NOT “there”. Go ahead, fire away, I’m going to sleep, so no worries 😂
    Just a Silver team from the wrong side of the tracks, so what do I know? 🤷
    edited June 2020
    dkarski87 said:
    I wouldn't say that, but keepers aren't expensive when compared to how many players will be leveled up at that position. A heavier investment up front for long term savings. Some people just see the face value of "more expensive" and "lower max overall." 🤷‍♂️
  • cb11cb11 Registered Users, Member 341 Posts
    dkarski87 said:
    I wouldn't say that, but keepers aren't expensive when compared to how many players will be leveled up at that position. A heavier investment up front for long term savings. Some people just see the face value of "more expensive" and "lower max overall." 🤷‍♂️
    Take a long term perspective. For whatever position your keeper is, as soon as you level up a 4th player over the course of a year, it would’ve been cheaper to just do the keeper from the beginning. 
    cb11 said:
    Take a long term perspective. For whatever position your keeper is, as soon as you level up a 4th player over the course of a year, it would’ve been cheaper to just do the keeper from the beginning. 
    Especially when (if?) those pesky primes and legends show up. 
  • sucios08sucios08 Registered Users, Member 130 Posts
    which keeper should i upgrade to d10 first mantle, yogi. or paige they are all at d1 ??
    I would say Yogi, Paige, Mantle in that order, but it depends on your game mode preference.  Yogi is great for WOH, Mantle is best for prime, BG, CVC (because of the blowout skill).  Paige will always be near the top of your rotation (provided we get keeper bumps regularly).
  • TheFullMonteTheFullMonte Registered Users, Member 1,589 Posts
    I brought over the 580 Posada.  Really regretting that decision now.  
  • MetsicansMetsicans Registered Users, Member 1,046 Posts
    I brought Brett (double RHP) and Bench (double LHP).  Brett is capped, Bench isn't -- mostly because we haven't had lefties at 5.10 or 6.10. I kind of regret both decisions, because Glu has put out so many 3Bs and catchers.  If I had it to do over I might bring Orlando Cabrera (double LHP) and Ruth (Runners On x2).  Ruth's hit rating was so high, and Cabrera plays a more premium position. I've struggled to fill shortstop all year.      
    I brought Ruth and Ferrell (HHx2), and I couldn't be happier.  Both are still in my top 5 for WOH, and I used Ferrell to close for the last 3 weeks, until I landed Freddie on Monday.

My trouble spot has been 2B, this year.  I was running out 310 (no skill) Hansel Alberto until that 315 Pedroia from the cash box.  He is still my weakest link, by a longshot.
  • sucios08sucios08 Registered Users, Member 130 Posts
    Tdub71 said:
    I would say Yogi, Paige, Mantle in that order, but it depends on your game mode preference.  Yogi is great for WOH, Mantle is best for prime, BG, CVC (because of the blowout skill).  Paige will always be near the top of your rotation (provided we get keeper bumps regularly).
    thanks it makes sense
    I brought over the 580 Posada.  Really regretting that decision now.  
    Weren't his skills double Late Innings?  I would think he is still good for WOH.  The 580 max hinders him, but I thought he would still be fairly solid.
  • rmouse511rmouse511 Registered Users, Member 185 Posts
    Finally got them finished at diamond!