Deitrick/Garcia/Wong?

Tdub71Tdub71 Registered Users, Member 1,876 Posts
I need some leveling advice.

I have Dietrich (340) capped in gold, skills at 8/8.  I got Garcia (355) in the very last weekend CVC box, and I just got Wong (350) from the free gift.

Is it worth leveling Garcia or Wong, and if so, which would you recommend?  I don't use Dietrich for WOH, but he is my starter at 2B, and that has been the hardest position for me to fill so far this year.

Comments

• TheFullMonteTheFullMonte Registered Users, Member 1,589 Posts
    edited June 2020
    Dietrich and Wong are polar opposite players.  Dietrich with be better for CVC, Prime, etc.  Where as Wong is the best option for WOH.  As you play more seriously, you'll end up leveling more players at the same positions and using them for the appropriate mode.

And even within an exclusive discussion of say WOH, Garcia is technicaly going to be better (has a higher hit rating) if you are using him at a lower level.  If you're thinking about using him at a higher level where youre down 4 for instance, his Close skill wont be on to start, in which case Wong is better.

You sort of have to do an individual roster analysis 

• iratepirateiratepirate Registered Users, Member 306 Posts
    edited June 2020
    In your spot, I might hold out for an even better 2B.

I pulled and levelled that Wong. 2b was my weakest link. He replaces 330 Gleyber. Wong is now my 3rd best WOH lefty behind Schwarber and Freeman, but I haven't had much trouble in WOH making it to Freeman and Schwarber. I levelled Wong because he was a big upgrade at 2B for me.

I guess it depends on your current needs and how much BXP you're sitting on. 
    Keepers: Ruth/Posada/Paige. ML is SS (RHP/RHP) - I went Platinum June 17
  • MillecorsMillecors Registered Users, Member 754 Posts
    You can't go wong with Wong!
  • Tdub71Tdub71 Registered Users, Member 1,876 Posts
    I think I will probably just stick with Dietrich, since neither Garcia or Wong are needs.  I will probably leave them both inactive and at B1 for a while, just to revisit this internal argument over and over...

I definitely like Wong the best of the 3, but I have been throwing out 345 Freddie Freeman (8/8) as my last righty-masher (I usually close with keeper Ferrell against either hand), with pretty good success.  If WOH shifts back to R,R,R to finish, I will still have him as an option.

Garcia seems like a luxury, as I have the lower levels of WOH covered pretty well, and the close skill is pretty much only useful there.

Thanks for the advice, guys.  Anyone else, feel free to weigh in too, though.
    edited June 2020
    I have about 250k bxp, but I am going to suck it up, and move to platinum fairly soon, so I think I might be better off holding off on anything but a no-brainer upgrade.
    Hell, neither Wong nor Garcia will be as good for TB as Dietrich...
  • navyjack77navyjack77 Registered Users, Member 1,299 Posts
    In your spot, I might hold out for an even better 2B.

I pulled and levelled that Wong. 2b was my weakest link. He replaces 330 Gleyber. Wong is now my 3rd best WOH lefty behind Schwarber and Freeman, but I haven't had much trouble in WOH making it to Freeman and Schwarber. I levelled Wong because he was a big upgrade at 2B for me.

I guess it depends on your current needs and how much BXP you're sitting on. 
    If level up the same amount as Schwarber and Freeman, Wong would be superior to both of them in WOH. His hit rating is much higher.
    edited June 2020
    Tdub71 said:
    I have about 250k bxp, but I am going to suck it up, and move to platinum fairly soon, so I think I might be better off holding off on anything but a no-brainer upgrade.
    IIRC, you'll need about 141k bxp to take Farrell from G10 to P10.
    About 47k for a regular player.
    To take a player from B1 to P10 8/8 is about 105k bxp (plus blue cash, gold and EVO).
    EDIT: that's with the 30% discount.
    edited June 2020
    Tdub71 said:
    IIRC, you'll need about 141k bxp to take Farrell from G10 to P10.
    About 47k for a regular player.
    To take a player from B1 to P10 8/8 is about 105k bxp (plus blue cash, gold and EVO).
    EDIT: that's with the 30% discount.
    That's exactly what I mean.  No sense in blowing the bxp I have, when I am so short, compared to what I need to jump-start a move to platinum.  If I was sitting on 750k, I would be more likely to level Wong now, but I need a lot of bxp grinding/repulls to not get my ass handed to me initially, when I move up.
    edited June 2020
    FWIW, when I went platinum I had resources to level only 5 regular position players (non-keepers). So I had about the same bxp you have now.
    My results in WOH were no worse. My G10 guys got me through the first five rounds of each level just fine.
    My results in BGs, prime and season mode were immediately better.
    My CVC results were probably a little worse, but in less than a week I had ten P10 8/8 position players including my two keepers and things got better yet.

I have since levelled my keeper pitcher (Paige), my 11th position player and I am now debating on whether or not to level Adam Engel (LHP/LHP) or save up to level my ML. I can now win tourneys for the first time in 2020 as well (maybe 2/3 of the time).  I used about 55k gold to repull a lot of BXP the day I pulled David Bote. That's how I got the rest of my starters from G10 to P10 (actually Bote and Schwarber from B1 to P10).

I went plat 13 days ago.