WoH Cyclist

xracmanxracman Registered Users, Member 666 Posts
How many of you WoH cyclers do it without using anything but video boosts and replays?  I never use good boosts because I’ve never felt like the prize was worth it.   But since primes will eventually become prizes, I just want to figure out if I’m not doing it right or if (most likely) I just suck at WoH.

Comments

• More2Most2FirstMore2Most2First Registered Users, Member 777 Posts
    Today I’ve been using no boosts until 5.10, unless I lose on a late round of a level.  For instance, I lost at 4.10 twice today, both times I used video restart and 40g boost and won on the 2nd attempt.  Both of those times, I waited 25 minutes before starting level 5, so I would regain my video restart (regenerates 30 mins after being used).  I lost once to Chapman at 5.9, for which I used video restart and 40g boost, winning the 2nd attempt.  That round, I used 80g boost for 5.10, just to be safe, knowing I had no video restart.

That’s what I’ve done through 5 cycles today so far.
    edited June 2020

I’ll add that the only time I’ll use a gold restart is if I have no video restart and I lose at 5.10.  In that case, I allow myself one gold restart and I use an 80g boost.  If I lose, I take a break and start over at 5.1.  Luckily, I haven’t encountered that scenario today...yet.
  • whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts
    edited June 2020
    I usually only use a boost on 5-10.  For no other reason then I’m lazy and don’t want to do level 5 again.  Cycled 2x today, never lost on 5-10.
    I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.  You mean the round and level? 
    - Blueleopard
  • BuckFutterBuckFutter Registered Users, Member 40 Posts
    I was able to cycle WOH 7 times over the weekend using only one video boost on 5.10, and never more than one video restart per set.  I have beaten 5.10 without boosts before; I use it just to be more sure I beat it on my first attempt.  My team is still gold, with a TS of 101k to 104k depending on my lineup adjustments.  So far today, I've cycled 4 times and have only used video boosts on 4.10 and 5.10.  WOH has become infinitely easier now that I have 3 capped Primes as my closers (Stanton, Arraez, and Mondesi-- a righty, lefty, and switch hitter) with 8/8 skills.  I hang onto players who have ideal WOH skill sets so I can really tinker with my lineup on WOH days to maximize any advantage I may have, and I have capped all offensive team skills.  
  • iratepirateiratepirate Registered Users, Member 306 Posts
    edited June 2020
    ... Today I’ve been using no boosts until 5.10, unless I lose on a late round of a level.  For instance, I lost at 4.10 twice today, both times I used video restart and 40g boost and won on the 2nd attempt.  Both of those times, I waited 25 minutes before starting level 5, so I would regain my video restart (regenerates 30 mins after being used).  ...
    Are you sure it regenerates 30 minutes later and not 15? I know it was 30 last year, but I was thinking it's 15 now like with EB and CVC.
    Keepers: Ruth/Posada/Paige. ML is SS (RHP/RHP) - I went Platinum June 17
  • 1994EXPOS1994EXPOS Registered Users, Member 149 Posts
    ... Today I’ve been using no boosts until 5.10, unless I lose on a late round of a level.  For instance, I lost at 4.10 twice today, both times I used video restart and 40g boost and won on the 2nd attempt.  Both of those times, I waited 25 minutes before starting level 5, so I would regain my video restart (regenerates 30 mins after being used).  ...
    Are you sure it regenerates 30 minutes later and not 15? I know it was 30 last year, but I was thinking it's 15 now like with EB and CVC.
    It's still 30 minutes for WoH retry video
  • drsmartassphddrsmartassphd Registered Users, Member 3,133 Posts

I quit using gold last year, and only tried a few times this year when I was really struggling.

I saw the same sequences when I dropped gold. Didn't matter, IMO.

This past weekend, I cycled Royale about 10 or 12 times, and I didn't use gold once. I only used a video boost Friday, and the game kept crashing, so I quit that too. I cleared the rest of the weekend ten times or more with no boosts at all out of fear of losing my progress from a crash.

Last Monday, I cycled three times without using gold, and video boosts on 5.8 and 5.9 only.

Yes, we are aware of the game having crashing issues in the middle of WoH, but we can't compensate you for the gold you lost at this time. This is done on a case by case basis. - TSB Customer Service

It really just depends on how you view things.  Yesterday, between player boxes, leveling players and WoH, I had net results of roughly -4K gold, -25k xp, and +200k cash...but I gained a capped lefty bat with WoH closer skills at 9/9 (Wong) and a capped mid-level WoH bat with skills at 8/8 (Perez).  If Glu hadn’t messed up the odds for Perez, I would have ended up gaining xp as well because I would have done at least 5 more cycles, but had only completed 2 at the 5-hour mark of the event.  So on a no-glitch WoH day, I would have gained 1 capped useful WoH player, 1 capped lefty WoH closer, around 50k xp, and about 400k cash - for a cost of 4-5k gold.  Since I have a very healthy gold stack (little over 200k), that’s an excellent use of gold in my opinion.

Again, it just depends on each person’s situation, how much time they can spend on the game and how much time they’re willing to spend on the game.
  • xracmanxracman Registered Users, Member 666 Posts
    Thanks @More2Most2First for pointing that out.  I recall @DFBB posted something similar regarding the economics of spending gold on boosts vs buying boxes when the prize is worth it.
    Thanks for all the feedback from everyone.  I had developed an opinion that most players beat WoH with gold boosts, but that is not the case.  I need to be more diligent about match ups and skills to be better.
  • TimidDeuceTimidDeuce Registered Users, Member 87 Posts
    tl;dr As a F2P player with a Platinum team, I  grind and conserve resources, and have been able to enjoy and succeed at WOH so far while spending very little gold on boosts and restarts.

On Mondays, I will use gold boost at 5.10 if I want to cycle cap to maximize my chances (and minimize time) of cycling.  I will sometimes do this on Wednesday Royale as well, but only if I really like the reward.  On weekend Royale, I'm less inclined to use gold at all, though the restarts are cheaper so I sometimes cave if I'm impatient.  I cycled 11 times this past weekend and spent less than 500 gold in total, with a platinum team.  My top 4 players are as follows with both skills pushed to 8:

Max 355 Adam Engel (R): LHP/LHP
    Max 350 Ketel Marte (B): RHP/Hot Hitter - not ideal for a lefty closer but he gets the job done
    Max 350 Luke Voit (R): LHP/ROB
    Max 345 Colin Moran (L): RHP/RISP

I build my team for WOH, so I am VERY selective about who I level.  I have pulled one Prime player (Abreu) and he is sitting at B1 while I have banked 100k PXP to date.  I pulled Max 360 Foil Mookie toward the end of this past weekend and he is sitting at B1 as well.  
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    As a diamond player, WoH is generally about 'power cycling.' I don't hesitate to use an 80g boost if I feel like it helps with efficiency. I adjust based on the difficulty. Here's an example of my last 3 WoH events:

-Last weekend, I was in a stat 20 club and didn't need a boost anywhere. 
    -Last Monday, I used a video at 4.10 and 80g at 5.10.
    -Yesterday, I used a 40g boost at 5.10. 

If you're not a 'spender,' WoH is critical in building your team. Don't be cheap, be efficient. 
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • cb11cb11 Registered Users, Member 341 Posts
    Once you get to the last level, I think of it as would I spend 80 gold to get that amount of XP? To me, it's an easy decision considering what's in the store for XP