Mr mid-summer classic

TheLegend17TheLegend17 Registered Users, Member 373 Posts
I can't find any results for Mr mid-summer classic. Never heard Reggie referred to as that instead of Mr October. But his 1971 hr in the all star game may be the longest hr.. 

Comments

• MetsicansMetsicans Registered Users, Member 1,046 Posts
    I know. Classic Glu. Can’t wait for Spoc84 to tell us why Glu is right about this one. 
  • spoc84spoc84 Registered Users, Member 202 Posts
    Glu don't know baseball, why are we even surprised? 
  • BearmeatBearmeat Registered Users, Member 576 Posts
    It’s 50 percent correct. Mr. October but with longest HR in ASG. Ain’t nobody called Mr. Mid Summer. Everyone wins I guess
  • YardGoatsYardGoats Registered Users, Member 382 Posts
    They had this on their notification when the gift was sent out
  • TheLegend17TheLegend17 Registered Users, Member 373 Posts
    Thanks 
  • iratepirateiratepirate Registered Users, Member 306 Posts
    edited July 2020
    But that HR never got further than 380 feet from home plate (because it hit the transformer).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enkfX2-uhYE

Keepers: Ruth/Posada/Paige. ML is SS (RHP/RHP) - I went Platinum June 17
  • More2Most2FirstMore2Most2First Registered Users, Member 777 Posts
    This is TOTAL BS...he was never actually known as Mr. Midsummer Classic...the only article that was EVER written referring to him by that, was done so on July 11, 2014 and it was done so to be clever, not because it was fact:

If you type in “Mr. Midsummer Classic” on google, you only get these results, none of which say anything about Reggie Jackson ever being nicknamed that:

However, if you look at the 2nd result, within the book titled “The Midsummer Classic: The Complete History of Baseball’s All-Star Game”, it shows that he actually was temporarily referred to as “Mr. July”, at least by one writer at the time the 1971 All-Star Game took place.
    It's not a huge deal, as the prize is a Dinger ticket and 1 pick em "piece". I just don't like the fact that it's both true and false (the screenshot of the notification tells me that they believe it to be true) 
    edited July 2020
    @TheLegend17

While I agree that it’s not a huge deal in terms of the reward (though it would complete my CvC Standard set), it’s simply the fact that they have zero clue as to the game and history of baseball.  I mean, if you asked Reggie “Mr. October” Jackson himself, he would tell you that he was never known as “Mr. Midsummer Classic”.  Just blows my mind, but at the same time, is par for the course regarding Glu...so maybe I’m the idiot, lol.

Oh well, back to cycling WoH for me 🤷‍♂️

Edit:  I should add that I spent 105 gold getting the right patch to complete that set, because I know 100% that he was never “Mr. Midsummer Classic”.  Just another way they tricked me into wasting some (albeit, very minute amount) gold.  The principle of it is frustrating.
    edited July 2020
    Today's pickem asserts that the Randy Johnson winking thing was with Larry Walker and asks the question: Was Walker playing for the Rockies at the time? 

But I thought the winking thing was with John Kruk (and Johnson just sort of reenacted it with Larry Walker in a later All-Star game because Walker had chosen to sit out a game that Johnson was pitching a few days/weeks earlier - Johnson threw the first pitch over Walker's head (like with Kruk), so Walker turned his helmet around and started hitting righty).

FWIW, Walker was indeed a Rockie at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDazoAWUvH8

Yup, another GLUck up. Johnson vs cruk was 1993. In 1993 Walker still played for the Expos 
  • cb11cb11 Registered Users, Member 341 Posts
    Both of you are right. Take the no and the easy piece
    edited July 2020
    I feel like GLU thinks the answer should be yes, because they believe the winking at-bat was in the 1997 All-Star game instead of the 1993 All-Star game. Hopefully, they will accept either answer.
  • 2020KC2020KC Registered Users, Member 711 Posts
    who cares for 45k cash...fuc that
    you can't spell deteriorate without detroit