Pick "em 7/13

xracmanxracman Registered Users, Member 666 Posts
What does this question even mean?  Randy Johnson's famous winking AB was against Larry Walker".  I can't find anything on Google about Johnson hitting with Walker pitching, which is what the statement actually says.  I think this refers to the AS game vs Kruk at bat.  So the answer would be No.
Prev1

Comments

• iratepirateiratepirate Registered Users, Member 306 Posts
    Yeah, we've been discussing it in the last few posts of this thread.

https://communities.glu.com/tap-sports-baseball-2020/discussion/5459028/mr-mid-summer-classic#latest
    Keepers: Ruth/Posada/Paige. ML is SS (RHP/RHP) - I went Platinum June 17
  • samthemansamtheman Registered Users, Member 686 Posts
    Discussed in the other pick em thread. They screwed up the statement part but it appears to be a reference to the 1997 All Star Game.
    So what is everyone answering? I can't decide.
  • YardGoatsYardGoats Registered Users, Member 382 Posts
    I’m going YYY since they don’t reference a year. 
  • Tdub71Tdub71 Registered Users, Member 1,876 Posts
    Y/Y/Y
  • likenightlikenight Registered Users, Member 471 Posts
    Winking was against Krux so I have no idea. 
    The actual question is about which team Walker was playing for. So that makes it easy.
  • likenightlikenight Registered Users, Member 471 Posts
    Walker was an Expo in 1993...
  • CthomCthom Registered Users, Member 105 Posts
    I'm going to ask Mr. Mid-Summer's Classic for clarity here.
    Tomorrow's pickem:
    Babe Ruth was right-handed.
    Did he ever play for New York?

The actual question was whether or not Walker was with the Rockies when Johnson winked at him.  That, apparently happened in 1997, therefore: Y.

Even with fabricated (and ridiculous) pick 'ems, GLU can't get out of their own way.🤦‍♂️
  • More2Most2FirstMore2Most2First Registered Users, Member 777 Posts
    edited July 2020
    Well, based on the Reggie question (Which first stated Jackson was Mr. Midsummer Classic, then that he had the longest HR in all-star game history), the answer today should be no.  I say this because once the answers were revealed for the Reggie pick em, it specifically referenced the Mr. Midsummer Classic part.

The equivalent for the Walker pick em would be the statement of Johnson winking at Walker, but in reality, that happened to John Kruk.

Rest assured, logic and research mean nothing to Glu and I think they wait to see which answer is chosen more, then reward the opposite.

In conclusion, it’s a total crapshoot and I don’t know why I likely wasted more gold, trying to complete my CvC standard bonus set again.
    Tdub71 said:
    The actual question was whether or not Walker was with the Rockies when Johnson winked at him.  That, apparently happened in 1997, therefore: Y.
    But he didn't wink at Walker at all as far as I can tell. But I went YYY using the same reasoning you did.
    The thing that happened in 1997 was an homage to 1993 winking thing (without any winking - just playfully throwing above a lefty hitter's head). Why did he do it to Walker? I think it was because Walker took a lot of heat for sitting out a June 12, 1997 game where Johnson pitched. It was the first ever interleague weekend in MLB.

“I faced Randy one time in spring training and he almost killed me,” Walker said.
    edited July 2020
    Also, I can't imagine GLU claiming the answer is "No" due to the fact that Walker was not a member of the Rockies when the winking thing happened (which he indeed wasn't), because they first asserted that he was involved in the incident.
  • cb11cb11 Registered Users, Member 341 Posts
    With Reggie Jackson being changed to either works, I have to imagine this will too
  • navyjack77navyjack77 Registered Users, Member 1,299 Posts
    edited July 2020
  • TheLegend17TheLegend17 Registered Users, Member 373 Posts
    Mayyyyybe they should have a little fact check session with guys who actually follow baseball PRIOR to making pick em questions.. Or statement/questions
    They discussed it in depth, amongst themselves.  It looked like this.

• UnderdogsUnderdogs Users Awaiting Email Confirmation, Member 35 Posts
    I'm going with N for this reason:
    Randy Johnson's famous wink was not against Larry Walker. That's the first question. The second part is whether Walker played for Rockies at the time. If this is the 1993 World Series, where Johnson winked at Kruk, Walker was not a Rockie at the time. No fits. I think we’re all second guessing only because of what happened yesterday.
    So this is how I read it...the first part is just a sentence. It says “Randy Johnson’s famous winking at bat was against Larry Walker”. Now you can disagree with this all you want but this is their fact. If it was a game it Would say “Braves vs Nationals @ 7pm”. The second part is the question “walker played for the Rockies at the time, Yes or No?” So that is what you are answering. 
    there is still plenty of this in this game to get all the patches. If baseball actually starts back up they will have pickems everyday.
  • UnderdogsUnderdogs Users Awaiting Email Confirmation, Member 35 Posts
    nope. we're second guessing because glu can't do anything right (which isn't much of a surprise).
    Yes, that goes without saying. I meant on top of the usual... haha.
  • sullipa8sullipa8 Registered Users, Member 564 Posts
    These questions remind me of when I watch Family Feud and the contestants give two answers. Just give one answer and it's either right or wrong. Same with Glu. These pickems are so ambiguous right now. Give us one easy answer, without adding a second qualifier that is only adding to the confusion. 
  • RodFarvaRodFarva Registered Users, Member 121 Posts
    edited July 2020
    In case glu cares to read this, I’ll echo what others have said. When you lead with a statement in bold (as if it is a statement of fact leading into the question), then follow with a question, it will never be clear that you intend for the lead in statement to be part of the question. 

We know the wink at bat was against John Kruk. It appeared that you didn’t and were stating that it happened against Larry Walker, then following that (flawed) premise with a question about the also famous Walker at-bat.

It didn’t help that you made a similar (questionable) assertion in the previous pickem. Reggie Jackson’s nickname was never Mr. Midsummer Classic, but you chose to call him that and then followed with a question. 
    edited July 2020
    They screwed thus up royally! Because the question was not who the at bat was against-it was what team Larry Walker played for at the time. They’ve tried to change it after the fact. I’ve also got an announcement in the game that says either answer is correct but perhaps that’s left over from the last pick em they screwed up.
  • xracmanxracman Registered Users, Member 666 Posts

They’ve now announced updated to say either correct, but the pick em has completely disappeared for me.

• baseball2020baseball2020 Registered Users, Member 511 Posts
    So I take it I’m not going to get my Tiger Stadium Patch to complete the bonus games set or the gold I spent shuffling for it?? 💆‍♂️
    I sure didn’t get my patch. Spent gold too to get one I needed. The makeup gift was nice but those patches are really valuable.