To upgrade or not to upgrade Trout...

RodFarvaRodFarva Registered Users, Member 121 Posts
I pulled trout, and I have (or will before the weekend is out) the pxp to cap him. 

My problem is that my outfield is stacked. Both of my keepers and my only prime currently occupy my OF. Plus I’ve got double blowout Jonathan Davis, a really nice Jeff McNeill, Mookie, Kepler, etc. None of them is as good as Trout, but it feels like he’s not the upgrade he should be for the pxp it takes to cap him. 

I should just wait for a better fit to come along, right?

Comments

• ESTXXLESTXXL Registered Users, Member 65 Posts
    How's Betts doing for ya? Him and Pedroa have been so so. Wondering the same thing as you. Got Betts, Gallo, and, Keppler. Sitting on Verdugo. 
  • RodFarvaRodFarva Registered Users, Member 121 Posts
    Betts is fine. He’s awesome in cvc (and especially in clash when I can pick a LHP as my opponent), but he doesn’t get a lot of playing time in bonus games. 

Davis’s stats are almost as good, and he’s double blowout, so he doesn’t need a LHP to reach his potential. Kepler kicks ass, and he’s a lefty.  McNeill is sneaky good. There’s just not a ton of room in the OF. 
  • mythicaldragonmythicaldragon Registered Users, Member 2,418 Posts
    Pulled trout from cvc... said I wasn’t gonna level him I did.. 🥴 well G6. I’ll have him G10 by Sunday 
  • ThumbstersThumbsters Registered Users, Member 267 Posts
    edited July 2020
    My approach is to target a player and have a plan ahead of time. If I get the guy I want, I’m leveling him all the way up—no looking back. If you pick up a guy you did NOT expect nor targeted, use him for the weekend as he is. His original attributes (especially a Prime) will be good enough to pick up bonus points for you in Target Bash, CvC, etc. 

Using your resources on players that are not part of your plan going in can set your overall team plan way behind.

For weeks I have been waiting for the third baseman that fits my team model/strategy. I finally landed him—he is a G10.

I would add that it is no coincidence that I keep pulling the OTHER third baseman that is available in this weekend’s boxes.

• inoculuminoculum Registered Users, Member 101 Posts
    edited July 2020
    i've traded in every prime i've pulled so far.  the cost-to-pxp ratio for entry level primes that don't do anything in the way of improving my team's performamce has saved me a ton of cash.  the 365 rookie players are just as handy and perform at an exceptional level! there isn't a need to play this prime game until they exceed 450max.  really can skip them all together until legends are released unless you have fallen into the shiny new toy trap or are newer to the game and still find it important to try and win brackets with crap rewards to make you feel tap validated 😂😂

hopefully you play casually and enjoy building a team to just have fun.  in that event, it's purely a judgement call on your part with prime trout version 1 of 693.  just remember this - you only get .05% of the resources you put into him back when you trade him in.  maybe there's a player you plan to hold onto longer where that pxp could be served better evolving their skill.… 
  • dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    Depends on your needs, Trout is great for all game modes minus WOH.
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
  • Piglet1899Piglet1899 Registered Users, Member 220 Posts
    My approach is to target a player and have a plan ahead of time. If I get the guy I want, I’m leveling him all the way up—no looking back. If you pick up a guy you did NOT expect nor targeted, use him for the weekend as he is. His original attributes (especially a Prime) will be good enough to pick up bonus points for you in Target Bash, CvC, etc. 

Using your resources on players that are not part of your plan going in can set your overall team plan way behind.

For weeks I have been waiting for the third baseman that fits my team model/strategy. I finally landed him—he is a G10.

I would add that it is no coincidence that I keep pulling the OTHER third baseman that is available in this weekend’s boxes.

My first prime was Betts and I had enough pxp to take him to G5. That’s not enough to get him a place. As soon as the primes went to 400 max, I decided I would only level them. I’ve got Gerrit Cole at G7 and Trout at G8 with pxp available when one needs further improvement. I