WOH- 7/20 - the primes have arrived!

Comments

• TheFullMonteTheFullMonte Registered Users, Member 1,589 Posts
    cb11 said:
    DFBB said:
    spoc84 said:

So whilst it sucks and makes Monday even more lame, we are in a better spot in the grand scheme.
    'Spenders' have never been in a better spot, which is why I've always chuckled at the guys who are suppose to lead the boycotts. 
    Spoc's point above is accurate.  Except that they've eroded the middle ground between elite spenders and hardcore grinders.  If the game is really only playable at a serious level by elite spenders....how many guys does that really leave GLU with?

It's certainly fewer by the week.  Watching (2) more Top 100 world guys hang it up this weekend.
    I think that's exactly the point. Whales don't want grinders to have a chance to steal their shine. Whales can influence Glu. Grinders can't. Pay to make the grinders go away. Sad but true. 
    Those two don't need to be mutually exclusive though.  And I'd argue that 1) there is already a significant advantage built in for spenders. And 2) that whales want and need grinders around to compete against.

A large, diverse player pool is a GOOD thing for GLU.  Shrinking this isn't helping anyone
  • mythicaldragonmythicaldragon Registered Users, Member 2,418 Posts
    edited July 2020
    Hmmmm so as silver lifetime player (gold this year🙄) I’ve always been told and understood they were building the game for diamond players. And told you need to go diamond etc..  Who this for??🤔
  • jalapenocubbiesjalapenocubbies Registered Users, Member 1,057 Posts
    cb11 said:
    DFBB said:
    spoc84 said:

So whilst it sucks and makes Monday even more lame, we are in a better spot in the grand scheme.
    'Spenders' have never been in a better spot, which is why I've always chuckled at the guys who are suppose to lead the boycotts. 
    Spoc's point above is accurate.  Except that they've eroded the middle ground between elite spenders and hardcore grinders.  If the game is really only playable at a serious level by elite spenders....how many guys does that really leave GLU with?

It's certainly fewer by the week.  Watching (2) more Top 100 world guys hang it up this weekend.
    I think that's exactly the point. Whales don't want grinders to have a chance to steal their shine. Whales can influence Glu. Grinders can't. Pay to make the grinders go away. Sad but true. 
    Those two don't need to be mutually exclusive though.  And I'd argue that 1) there is already a significant advantage built in for spenders. And 2) that whales want and need grinders around to compete against.

A large, diverse player pool is a GOOD thing for GLU.  Shrinking this isn't helping anyone
    Not trying to be the bearer of bad news but spenders don’t need grinders. They need other spenders. As it is there’s 7-10 clubs who almost always are at or near the top of every event. Those are the guys who compete against each other. Almost all those clubs are made up of certain level spenders. It’s just the reality of the game. You can still be competitive grinding out games but the reality of it is, you have to spend in some regard to always be near the top. 
  • YardGoatsYardGoats Registered Users, Member 382 Posts
    I haven’t had time to play to confirm but this what the chart for Pro the last couple of weeks
  • mythicaldragonmythicaldragon Registered Users, Member 2,418 Posts
    Let’s see what was I told..? I think it went something like get over it and go diamond or quit?? So to all of those diamond players unhappy about the changes.. Get over it or quit.. or open your wallet 🤷🏻‍♂️. Cheers 🍻 
  • redlegs2018uredlegs2018u Registered Users, Member 1,048 Posts
    This trial balloon they're doing is made of lead.  Somehow I doubt they do this too much going forward though the fix probably comes with increased difficulty to ramp down potential cycle capping for most players.  I'm debating doing 3 to get the club challenge done (1 down though it was a pain) but I'd have been happier with a good bxp player and a moderate amount of pxp per cycle (say 1k-1200).  Was trying to save 110k pxp for an opportunity to cycle cap a prime but it's not looking good for that under this model.

• dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
    YardGoats said:
    I haven’t had time to play to confirm but this what the chart for Pro the last couple of weeks

This is correct. Should be no boost cycle cap for plat and diamond guys.5.9 is a b1 turd ffs lol.
  • fahhq2fahhq2 Registered Users, Member 850 Posts
    Let’s see what was I told..? I think it went something like get over it and go diamond or quit?? So to all of those diamond players unhappy about the changes.. Get over it or quit.. or open your wallet 🤷🏻‍♂️. Cheers 🍻 
    +1
  • babyjbootsbabyjboots Registered Users, Member 465 Posts
    And the cycle continues....
  • spoc84spoc84 Registered Users, Member 202 Posts
    This is going to be an unpopular opinion. But if you need to cycle cap to stay afloat, Glu doesn't care about you or need you. 

I've said before, most top players I know simply slowplay Woh to get the stat bonus or points multiplier for the weekend. Cycle capping for resources doesn't even really factor in to it.
  • spoc84spoc84 Registered Users, Member 202 Posts
    Who is quitting? I don't see an increased number in quitters in the huge spenders. See a few getting burnt out here and there. But ultimately, the clubs that are dropping maybe 50k each on a weekend, are all still going strong.

The game has an insanely high IAP over advertising revenue. One of the biggest on the entire mobile game market. Over 70/30 and rising . Of that IAP, the green and blue VIPs and those pushing for level 20 VIP + make up a huge , huge proportion of the spending. So it really is only these people they need care about. Believe me. Their business model does not rely on keeping guys happy over whether or not you can cycle Woh. This forum also has a misconception that TSB is the only way Glu makes money. 

Look it sucks you can't cycle cap. I'm gonna lose a huge grinding buddy today. But the sense of entitlement here again. Because it suddenly doesn't benefit you for them to essentially give you a prime player and prime XP for free, everyone is up in arms? 
  • 1994EXPOS1994EXPOS Registered Users, Member 149 Posts
    spoc84 said:  

Look it sucks you can't cycle cap. I'm gonna lose a huge grinding buddy today. But the sense of entitlement here again. Because it suddenly doesn't benefit you for them to essentially give you a prime player and prime XP for free, everyone is up in arms? 
    When's your next vacation again ?
    spoc84 said:
    This is going to be an unpopular opinion. But if you need to cycle cap to stay afloat, Glu doesn't care about you or need you. 

I've said before, most top players I know simply slowplay Woh to get the stat bonus or points multiplier for the weekend. Cycle capping for resources doesn't even really factor in to it.
    And this is exactly why the game is going to die this year.

So many top players are quitting, and if they want to stay afloat to keep this game going, they need to start appealing to the general public instead of feeding off whales.
    It’s not going to die. 
  • whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts
    spoc84 said:

So many top players are quitting, and if they want to stay afloat to keep this game going, they need to start appealing to the general public instead of feeding off whales.
    It’s not going to die. 
    it IS dying 

You really really need to quit this game and maybe get some counseling bud.
    I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.  You mean the round and level? 
    - Blueleopard
    spoc84 said:

It’s not going to die. 
    it IS dying 
    No it’s not. But you can believe what you want. 
  • dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    Fortunately, Mr.Spock is wrong here. The so called "whales" also cycle capped WOH whenever primes and legends were available. For him to say that, just tells me he doesn't play with "whales". I won't name drop but many of the top players would still grind WOH days when we had primes/legends available in the past versions. So again, Mr.Spock and his heard of whales definitively dont swim in the same ocean as the others. If we only knew what club he played for, maybe we could find out the type of "whales" they really are. ;) 
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
    spoc84 said:

It’s not going to die. 
    it IS dying 
    I’m pretty quiet with this stuff but no offense, you’ve been complaining about the game in here for months and also bragging how all you bought was stadium early in the year. You are whining about not getting anything for free. The game can be played for free but you won’t get very far. I get the frustration but good lord man. If you spent 9.99 only what do you expect for a whole season? I mean please have some grip on reality where spending 9.99 3 months ago gets you everything you want in this game. 
  • trojanman999trojanman999 Registered Users, Member 371 Posts
    edited July 2020
    I mean, it is definitely decreasing, look at the global challenge numbers right now - there has been only 93,000 daily dinger tickets used, so even if we assumed just 1 person per ticket, that would be 93,000 people who have played in the last 36 hours, which let's be honest its probably 1/3 of that or even 20%. Compared to the numbers for walks/homeruns when they released the last update in June, its not even close, the community has dropped in size significantly as they have rolled out one horrible change after the next horrible change (which explains why everyone knows multiple people who have quit in the past few weeks). If they continue this path, the community will eventually shrivel up and die. Even if you are one of the addicts/whales, do you really want to keep dumping money into a game that only has a few hundred people playing? Most will stop when they realize they are the last suckers left. Then it will just be Spoc, giving himself a ****job from his desk at Glu's office.
  • Tdub71Tdub71 Registered Users, Member 1,876 Posts
    The game won't die, as long as the whales keep spending.  As douchey as @spoc84 can sound at times, he is right.

A few of the big boys will quit here and there.  This happens every year, but the core of the real spenders will keep spending.  If GLU ever does anything egregious enough to make them stop, things will change.  

This game is, and has been for a long time,  free to play/pay to succeed.  They are just becoming more obvious about it.

They key to playing this game as F2P, or a small-to-moderate spender, is to redefine your version of success.  Let the whales do whaley things, and eat the peanuts you are given.

Even spending to AS16 last year, I was never deluded enough to think I could "compete" with the big boys.  Now that I am F2P, I know I have a better chance of being stuck by lightning, twice, while buying a winning lottery ticket.  

Once you accept that, the game can still be fun.  If you can't accept that, it is probably time to give it up.
  • xracmanxracman Registered Users, Member 666 Posts
    On another note, did video replays go away on HoF level 5?
    spoc84 said:

It’s not going to die. 
    it IS dying 
    I’m pretty quiet with this stuff but no offense, you’ve been complaining about the game in here for months and also bragging how all you bought was stadium early in the year. You are whining about not getting anything for free. The game can be played for free but you won’t get very far. I get the frustration but good lord man. If you spent 9.99 only what do you expect for a whole season? I mean please have some grip on reality where spending 9.99 3 months ago gets you everything you want in this game. 
    cause it was more than enough last year
    Cool then you should know it takes money to build a top flight team and compete everyday. It’s fine if you don’t want to spend, but Stop whining they won’t give you everything you want for free then. Nothing in the world works that way, but everyone seems to expect this game to do that. I’m not saying things can’t get better, and particularly it should get better return on investment for actual money spent IMO. 
  • cb11cb11 Registered Users, Member 341 Posts
    spoc84 said:

It’s not going to die. 
    it IS dying 
    It's somewhere in the middle though. If you can buy a PS4 game for $60 and get everything you want, you shouldn't have to drop thousands for a mobile game. I get you can still get add-ons with console games, but they don't make it so you're uncompetitive without buying them. If only spending 9.99 isn't realistic than Glu also has no sense of reality to charge thousands to have a chance to be competitive. 
  • BearmeatBearmeat Registered Users, Member 576 Posts
    Cycle capping isn’t necessarily out of the question. It could just be a trial run. Look at 2020 TSB as a long term Beta version.  It is what it is. But if it pisses you off this much, just walk away or play more casually
    cb11 said:
    spoc84 said:

It’s not going to die. 
    it IS dying 
    It's somewhere in the middle though. If you can buy a PS4 game for $60 and get everything you want, you shouldn't have to drop thousands for a mobile game. I get you can still get add-ons with console games, but they don't make it so you're uncompetitive without buying them. If only spending 9.99 isn't realistic than Glu also has no sense of reality to charge thousands to have a chance to be competitive. 
    This isn’t a ps4 or xbox game. This is a mobile game and a lot of mobile games have the same style. Spending 9.99 1 time is nothing in this world or gaming. And again, you don’t have to drop thousands to play, hell you probably don’t have to to even be able to beat woh. Fact is, as we all know, to be competitive and to play everyday you need to spend big money. This is beyond my argument of, you can’t brag you spend no money and then complain your don’t get anything from the game. Short of you being new to the game within the last couple months we all know how this works. Threatening to quit when you spend no money is empty. It’s like going to a car dealership with a 400 credit score and threatening to not buy a car from them. 
    Bearmeat said:
    Cycle capping isn’t necessarily out of the question. It could just be a trial run. Look at 2020 TSB as a long term Beta version.  It is what it is. But if it pisses you off this much, just walk away or play more casually
    Exactly.  Remember the blizzard tower last year?  GLU has definitely been known to back off (or even scrap altogether) changes that they see drastically reduces activity ($ or otherwise).

If the big boys don't complain though, it could stick.  If they do, Royale WOH will be the answer.
  • ToughthundercatsToughthundercats Registered Users, Member 1,959 Posts
    1994EXPOS said:
    spoc84 said:  

When's your next vacation again ?
    I love it!!!🙌🙌
  • Itsouttahere2Itsouttahere2 Registered Users, Member 697 Posts
    spoc84 said:
    Who is quitting? I don't see an increased number in quitters in the huge spenders. See a few getting burnt out here and there. But ultimately, the clubs that are dropping maybe 50k each on a weekend, are all still going strong.

The game has an insanely high IAP over advertising revenue. One of the biggest on the entire mobile game market. Over 70/30 and rising . Of that IAP, the green and blue VIPs and those pushing for level 20 VIP + make up a huge , huge proportion of the spending. So it really is only these people they need care about. Believe me. Their business model does not rely on keeping guys happy over whether or not you can cycle Woh. This forum also has a misconception that TSB is the only way Glu makes money. 

Isn’t there a whale forum you can join instead of this one?
  • BearmeatBearmeat Registered Users, Member 576 Posts
    All this talk about whales is gonna get @ShoveItUpYoenis2 excited!  

• DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    Tdub71 said:
    Bearmeat said:
    Exactly.  Remember the blizzard tower last year?  GLU has definitely been known to back off (or even scrap altogether) changes that they see drastically reduces activity ($ or otherwise).

If the big boys don't complain though, it could stick.  If they do, Royale WOH will be the answer.

We will be able to cycle cap primes eventually, but I'm confused as to why they feel it was a good idea to throw a mediocre prime as a one time reward. If he was at the curve and ideal? Okay, maybe. This 380 Osuna? Who's actually going to level him? Pretty sure even Cove and his crew would hesitate. Or maybe not, but you get the idea. 
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.