Potw price change

jalapenocubbiesjalapenocubbies Registered Users, Member 1,057 Posts
Amid a lot of issues going on, I will say it was nice to see potw box price get substantially lowered. Down to 650 gold from 1100. It’s a nice option for guys who want to score points and not chase the regular bonus boxes. This is coming from someone who absolutely hated that box the last 2 years. 

Comments

• zandermanzanderman Registered Users, Member 24 Posts
    Especially since they're basically useless after those few events end.
  • JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    We need POTM equivalent players.
  • YardGoatsYardGoats Registered Users, Member 382 Posts
    Since the lower price decided to try for a player since I could get a bonus set today and I was 0-4! Terrible luck!
  • trojanman999trojanman999 Registered Users, Member 371 Posts
    probably because no one was buying them at 1100 gold for a player that was useless after 4 days
  • MetsicansMetsicans Registered Users, Member 1,046 Posts
    I think it was a good move by Glu, but for me personally I don't have the resources to level a one-week rental.  Especially given the modest bonus points they earn.
  • cbidgejbagscbidgejbags Registered Users, Member 32 Posts
    That's some bad luck, YardGoats.  
  • mythicaldragonmythicaldragon Registered Users, Member 2,418 Posts
    Long overdue! Glu 👏
  • Tdub71Tdub71 Registered Users, Member 1,876 Posts

This guy fits anywhere.
  • iratepirateiratepirate Registered Users, Member 306 Posts
    edited July 2020
    There's no limit on the POTW box is there?
    I'm thinking about opening 130 of these Tauchman/Nola boxes and going diamond. 
    I need a pitcher and a lefty Yankee (maxed pennants) OF seems like a good fit (even though he will only be a 340 next week).

Also, should I assume Tauchman and Nola are equally likely to pull?
    If I expect to pull them about 30-35 times each, how high should I level them after the first pull?
    Is this a stupid plan? Is there anything I'm failing to consider?
    I enjoyed being a diamond BG grinder in '19. If other game modes suffer, I can live with it.
    Thanks
    Keepers: Ruth/Posada/Paige. ML is SS (RHP/RHP) - I went Platinum June 17
  • SandlotGuruSandlotGuru Registered Users, Member 285 Posts
    @iratepirate - if it were me, I'd wait until Friday, find a 30% discount club and then go crazy with the weekend boxes - stacked with the two weekend fieldpasses, the 60% discount on players is HUGE and I imagine you'd be able to cap all of the non-prime players.  If you happen to be a VIP, you may want to consider buying "The VIP Elite" subscription for $10, which gives you a 15% discount on all box purchases.  This is a really good deal if you're spending large amounts of gold all at once.  If you're dead set on attacking the POTW boxes, in my experience there's closer to a 75/25 split between the pitcher/hitter and I believe the optimal levelling point is to P10.
  • UnderdogsUnderdogs Users Awaiting Email Confirmation, Member 35 Posts
    With that amount of gold, you can do a lot better than just two players who will drop in value next week.
    Odds have been changing quite frequently lately, but if you go with today's box as an example:
    84500 gold will get you 27-28 pulls of the specialty 5-star players and about 17 pulls of the base 5-star players.

I know it's not a pitcher and a lefty Yankee hitter, but if you're building a new diamond team, four players is going to help your team more than the two POTW, in my opinion. If you wait for a Royale, there will be more player options as well (from tournament boxes, fan rewards, woh). Even if you don't want the players in the boxes offered, you it for the repulls for XP to level the players that you do want.

I haven't thrown that much gold at a POTW box lately, but in regular boxes, the odds aren't quite evenly split between players of each tier. So if you take today's 400 gold box for example, Guzman is 350 max and Margot is 355 max. In my experience, I've gotten more pulls of the weaker player. There's always some randomness to it.

If you're expecting 30 repulls for example, I would level the player to around silver 10 (count back 30 from diamond 10). Maybe go a little higher just in case, to make sure you get to diamond 10 with your pulls, but not much higher. You want to pay as little xp as possible to level and rely on repulls as much as you can.
    edited July 2020
    @Underdogs - I'd advise against the S10 approach.  As an example: leveling from G1 to G2 costs 840 XP (with a 40% discount) - your repull value from G1-G2 is about 5,200 XP, when you could have gotten closer to 20,000 XP by repulling at D10.  So effectively you're paying 840 XP to increase the value of your repull by about 14,800 XP.  If you continue that analysis all the way up through the upgrade chain, P10 is roughly the optimal level.  Assuming 30 pulls - upgrading to S10 would cost you about 4K XP (with a 40% discount) and your repulls would be worth about 295K XP, vs the P10 cost of 60K XP and repull value of about 558K XP.
  • whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts
    @Underdogs - I'd advise against the S10 approach.  As an example: leveling from G1 to G2 costs 840 XP (with a 40% discount) - your repull value from G1-G2 is about 5,200 XP, when you could have gotten closer to 20,000 XP by repulling at D10.  So effectively you're paying 840 XP to increase the value of your repull by about 14,800 XP.  If you continue that analysis all the way up through the upgrade chain, P10 is roughly the optimal level.  Assuming 30 pulls - upgrading to S10 would cost you about 4K XP (with a 40% discount) and your repulls would be worth about 295K XP, vs the P10 cost of 60K XP and repull value of about 558K XP.
    I got a headache reading this.  Can you help a gold fella out and tell me where my best leveling spot is to max repulls?
    I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.  You mean the round and level? 
    - Blueleopard
    edited July 2020
    @whynot - attached is a repull optimizer that will help with these types of decisions.  The key variables are the player type (i.e. BXP, PXP, LXP), expected number of pulls, and current discount % (if any).  The trade-in values are based on players at 355/400, so the results will differ over time as trade-in values increase with higher rated players.  I just put this together, so math nerds - please pm me if you have any feedback. 
  • jalapenocubbiesjalapenocubbies Registered Users, Member 1,057 Posts
    There's no limit on the POTW box is there?
    I'm thinking about opening 130 of these Tauchman/Nola boxes and going diamond. 
    I need a pitcher and a lefty Yankee (maxed pennants) OF seems like a good fit (even though he will only be a 340 next week).

Also, should I assume Tauchman and Nola are equally likely to pull?
    If I expect to pull them about 30-35 times each, how high should I level them after the first pull?
    Is this a stupid plan? Is there anything I'm failing to consider?
    I enjoyed being a diamond BG grinder in '19. If other game modes suffer, I can live with it.
    Thanks
    I would not do this. 340 guys aren’t very good. If you plan on going diamond, I would stash resources until a good weekend box comes around, then go ham. As you pull guys level them go where you are comfortable (personally I’d go D1-D5 depending how many you plan to open.) then open for repulls. 340 guys aren’t great. Despite what the odds say, both players are not equal, based on my experience the last 3 years. Pitchers seem to be highly skewed but I know people who have had the opposite so hard to say. Either way, I don’t think hammering potw boxes is a wise investment. 
    edited July 2020
    Thanks for the great info, guys!
    I will wait for a better spot, while building up my stash of gold.
  • 2020KC2020KC Registered Users, Member 711 Posts
    Well...it could be worse. I could be 1150 Pennants and 20 gold...just sayin.
    you can't spell deteriorate without detroit
  • jalapenocubbiesjalapenocubbies Registered Users, Member 1,057 Posts
    Thanks for the great info, guys!
    I will wait for a better spot, while building up my stash of gold.
    I should also add, I’d wait for a royale weekend as well to go diamond for 2 reasons. 1) you can hammer tourney and BG for points as well as gold. 2) of players are still in woh you can find a stat boost club and play lots of woh which is great with the stat boost if you’re team isn’t filled with diamond players. My first weekend diamond I was able to beat woh 25 times with a mostly platinum team and only a couple diamond hitters. But obviously, the recent woh changes would Influence that. 
  • trojanman999trojanman999 Registered Users, Member 371 Posts
    edited July 2020
    @whynot - attached is a repull optimizer that will help with these types of decisions.  The key variables are the player type (i.e. BXP, PXP, LXP), expected number of pulls, and current discount % (if any).  The trade-in values are based on players at 355/400, so the results will differ over time as trade-in values increase with higher rated players.  I just put this together, so math nerds - please pm me if you have any feedback. 
    you have a link to an external document in the excel formulas for both flow columns which results in errors for most of the cells 
    Doh!  Re-posted to include an upgrade costs tool that it pulls from - give that version a try.
  • UnderdogsUnderdogs Users Awaiting Email Confirmation, Member 35 Posts
    Thanks @SandlotGuru! I didn't have data on trade-in values. I assumed that you would get less back in trade-in than what you put in. That's great info. Thanks for sharing that!
    I got some feedback about the data validation cells not working - please use the attached instead.  Also noted that the trade-in values are not perfectly in line with today's 400 max Soto.  If someone can send me a better data set I will happily update for that.
  • cbidgejbagscbidgejbags Registered Users, Member 32 Posts
    Awesome thread @iratepirate and thanks to all for the input.
    I’ve never had a holder team for my solo club. I can create the holder team on my same device, right? Just log out, create new team, join the club, log out and back in with my main team. Something like that? 

I only have one device that can run TSB
  • BearmeatBearmeat Registered Users, Member 576 Posts
    I’ve never had a holder team for my solo club. I can create the holder team on my same device, right? Just log out, create new team, join the club, log out and back in with my main team. Something like that? 

I only have one device that can run TSB
    Unfortunately you need a secondary device to have a holder or alternate account. 
  • Tdub71Tdub71 Registered Users, Member 1,876 Posts
    edited July 2020
    Trying to create a 2nd account on the same device is a sure way to get jailed, or at least put on some kind of "watch list".

Edit: That is why I don't have a holder, either.
  • spoc84spoc84 Registered Users, Member 202 Posts
    Works fine to have a second account if you use parrelel space lite, with 64 bit support. Thank me later. 
    edited July 2020
    Thanks for the info, guys.
    I've been thinking about getting a new tablet (current one is from 2014). This might hasten my purchase.