Coming To The Realization That Farming Gold Was/Is a Colossal Waste of Time

drsmartassphddrsmartassphd Registered Users, Member 3,133 Posts

Warning: Just had my boomer nap and a cup of coffee so this may go long....

I've shared my extreme farming prowess here many times. Have a job that allows me to fidget with one hand so I can tap ads on my Ipad all day while I perform my work with the other. For the past year plus, I have farmed well over 1M gold, on top of the stupid amount of money I spent this year playing this game.

I never realized until today how much of a burden that has been.

As we are all aware, last year GLU changed the way ads were run to stop "auto tapping". This "feature" now requires 2-3 extra taps in order to acquire the gold. Reluctantly, I adopted and kept going.  As the year has progressed, farming 500 ads a day has gone from a 3-4 hour venture, to 6-7 hours in most cases. There are days I will tap all day at work (usually 9-10 hours) and look to see I've only gotten about 2K in gold. Just brutal.

Now we also have the fact that ads take forever to load, many ads are 30+ seconds each, require two or three taps, then will automatically take you out of TSB and put you in the app store or take you to a link online. Most will just crash the app and you won't get anything at all. Of course, when you try to help CS with it, you get, well...

With the box odds now, the expectation to either farm or buy gold in specials is even more important for GLU. After spending over 260K in gold recently and only landing ONE legend, I finally called it quits on farming. It is beyond pointless to spend my days doing this. Before that 260K disappointment, I know I had close to another 200K only landing 2 legends I wanted.

Last year, had I spent 460K in gold, I could have easily landed a Legend in 9-10 consecutive events if I was so inclined to chase.  WoH would have also allowed me to build the resources needed to cap them at 17/17 if I wanted. No need to beat that horse.  Yes, GLU was also getting plenty of money from me because I actually felt like I was "winning".

Yeah yeah, I know, everyone goes through this. I get it. But when you think of the time, effort, and money it takes to get 100K gold and you get nothing but the same 445 Prime guy 30 times, it isn't worth it. Not even close. This isn't "winning" anything but making the monster more money from advertisers.

Will I farm double gold on a rainy weekend with nothing to do? Maybe, but I doubt it. There are other ways to get gold in clubs, DD, etc. I'll just do that. Double gold surveys are way more fun and get you more gold much quicker if you hit the right one. Besides, if I only have 7-10K gold on hand, I won't drop 100K next time that shiny new player that will likely be a repeat next week, or be worthless. (Most recent example: Reggie Jackson a few weeks ago....50K gold, couldn't get him. Al Oliver yesterday: EXACT SAME POS/SKILLS and won in CvC after dropping my last 15K in gold chasing).

Rant over, but damn it feels good to break this habit.

One step closer!! TY GLU for continuing to screw us all over and opening my eyes to this.

Have a good one, everyone!

Yes, we are aware of the game having crashing issues in the middle of WoH, but we can't compensate you for the gold you lost at this time. This is done on a case by case basis. - TSB Customer Service

Comments

• BearmeatBearmeat Registered Users, Member 576 Posts

I've shared my extreme farming prowess here many times. Have a job that allows me to fidget with one hand so I can tap ads on my Ipad all day while I perform my work with the other. For the past year plus, I have farmed well over 1M gold, on top of the stupid amount of money I spent this year playing this game.

As we are all aware, last year GLU changed the way ads were run to stop "auto tapping". This "feature" now requires 2-3 extra taps in order to acquire the gold. Reluctantly, I adopted and kept going.  As the year has progressed, farming 500 ads a day has gone from a 3-4 hour venture, to 6-7 hours in most cases. There are days I will tap all day at work (usually 9-10 hours) and look to see I've only gotten about 2K in gold. Just brutal.

Now we also have the fact that ads take forever to load, many ads are 30+ seconds each, require two or three taps, then will automatically take you out of TSB and put you in the app store or take you to a link online. Most will just crash the app and you won't get anything at all. Of course, when you try to help CS with it, you get, well...

With the box odds now, the expectation to either farm or buy gold in specials is even more important for GLU. After spending over 260K in gold recently and only landing ONE legend, I finally called it quits on farming. It is beyond pointless to spend my days doing this. Before that 260K disappointment, I know I had close to another 200K only landing 2 legends I wanted.

Last year, had I spent 460K in gold, I could have easily landed a Legend in 9-10 consecutive events if I was so inclined to chase.  WoH would have also allowed me to build the resources needed to cap them at 17/17 if I wanted. No need to beat that horse.  Yes, GLU was also getting plenty of money from me because I actually felt like I was "winning".

Yeah yeah, I know, everyone goes through this. I get it. But when you think of the time, effort, and money it takes to get 100K gold and you get nothing but the same 445 Prime guy 30 times, it isn't worth it. Not even close. This isn't "winning" anything but making the monster more money from advertisers.

Will I farm double gold on a rainy weekend with nothing to do? Maybe, but I doubt it. There are other ways to get gold in clubs, DD, etc. I'll just do that. Double gold surveys are way more fun and get you more gold much quicker if you hit the right one. Besides, if I only have 7-10K gold on hand, I won't drop 100K next time that shiny new player that will likely be a repeat next week, or be worthless. (Most recent example: Reggie Jackson a few weeks ago....50K gold, couldn't get him. Al Oliver yesterday: EXACT SAME POS/SKILLS and won in CvC after dropping my last 15K in gold chasing).

One step closer!! TY GLU for continuing to screw us all over and opening my eyes to this.

Have you tried being completely inactive?  I mean don’t log in for 3-4 days. I’ve got a few accounts and this definitely does factor in to things. Note- I stopped chasing players 1.5 years ago when I went balls deep chasing Baez. This incident cost my employer over 1200$. Point being, inactivity increases odds. Never chase unless your a heavy D6 player
  • fatDaddyfatDaddy Registered Users, Member 318 Posts
    dang, 9-10 hours for 2k gold. Didn't realize it was that bad now. I'd rather buy a Special @ $10 for 2k gold and some token boxes - it's worth $1/hour to me to be able to use both hands. But then I'm playing right into Glu's master plan, agonizing! 
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    fatDaddy said:
    it's worth $1/hour to me to be able to use both hands.
    🤔🤔🤔😂😂😂
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • babyjbootsbabyjboots Registered Users, Member 465 Posts
    With how many steps closer you've told us about and not quit, you must be walking the Great Wall of China.
  • FrankTheTank04FrankTheTank04 Registered Users, Member 1,092 Posts
    With how many steps closer you've told us about and not quit, you must be walking the Great Wall of China.
    I thought maybe he meant one step closer to being a full blown addict... or maybe he's just singing that Linkin Park song.
    Just no.  
  • ToughthundercatsToughthundercats Registered Users, Member 1,959 Posts
    Bearmeat said:

Have you tried being completely inactive?  I mean don’t log in for 3-4 days. I’ve got a few accounts and this definitely does factor in to things. Note- I stopped chasing players 1.5 years ago when I went balls deep chasing Baez. This incident cost my employer over 1200$. Point being, inactivity increases odds. Never chase unless your a heavy D6 player
    It does work. Haven't done this yet this year but will take a four day vacation from this game starting next Monday and be back for Friday at the start of Royale.
  • trojanman999trojanman999 Registered Users, Member 371 Posts
    edited October 2020
    Yea I have slowed down significantly on farming gold as well... there is not a need for so much gold anymore. Glu has done everything possible to make people spend money on this game, so much so there is no point in spending excessive money or farmed gold. They haven't shot themselves in the foot, they have shot themselves in the head. Why?

1. You want a specific player, first of all, too bad - you aren't getting him. Just kidding, but the odds are so ridiculously awful you are just as likely to get as many good players by not playing a few days a week (so the game rewards you when you return) or doing the basic 2,500 gold FR level each box set and waiting for your "lucky wave" to come in every week or so. No point in chasing with money/gold when you already know there are only 2 or 5 or 10 of those players in every 1000 boxes. It would be idiotic to chase at those odds, so why waste your time excessively farming gold or real money - either way you will be disappointed 99%-99.8% of the time?

2. No chasing players means less resources. Stupidly, Glu has been squeezing resources all year with terrible event rewards/season rewards/etc (and forget about repulls with these odds).  So if your diamond you can't even level players (unless you are buying multiple fieldpasses every week), if your platinum you might be able to level one player every 2 weeks (maybe less if you grind 1,000,000 cycles of WOH every month), and if your gold you might be lucky to slot 9 batters (maybe more if you grind 1,000,000 cycles of WOH every month). 

So in the end Glu has left everyone with only 2 options, (1) casually F2P doing the basics (EB, event progress rewards, daily challenges, CVC, etc.), buying the minimum boxes to hit the 2,500 FR level, and collecting resources like rain water for that fateful wave of luck,  or (2) spend like an absolute idiot giving Glu your money on a daily basis trying to chase impossible to pull players, accruing enough resources, and then buying all the fieldpasses twice a week so you can level them - all so you can just do it again the next week with a new set of the same or slightly better players. There really is no middle ground anymore, and I would bet that a vast majority of players are either quitting or opting for the latter.

• JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    edited October 2020
    @trojanman999 Thats exactly what I was saying earlier today- I'm no longer even remotely tempted to buy anything because I've been conditioned that making purchases results in feelings of regret and disappointment 99% of the time.
  • dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
    for fricks sake...
  • drsmartassphddrsmartassphd Registered Users, Member 3,133 Posts
    JEDDDOGGY said:
    @trojanman999 Thats exactly what I was saying earlier today- I'm no longer even remotely tempted to buy anything because I've been conditioned that making purchases results in feelings of regret and disappointment 99% of the time.

Yep. This is the lesson I've learned in 2020. My activity went way up and my spending went way up in 2020. The result? Extreme disappointment, while GLU saturates us with three times as many players than last year in boxes with worse odds.

Hopefully the whales have noticed this as well.

Yes, we are aware of the game having crashing issues in the middle of WoH, but we can't compensate you for the gold you lost at this time. This is done on a case by case basis. - TSB Customer Service

@dustyhunks: I wish I knew what that meant so I could laugh at myself along with you.

(Notice I said "at" and not "with".  I'm cool like that).

• inoculuminoculum Registered Users, Member 101 Posts
    why spend money when employees are in the top club and teams in said club can have their resources transferred from team to team? that alone makes a lucky pull from boxes where the "odds" are not even accurate more of an incentive to not spend a penny on this cabal-owned enterprise… 

inoculum said:
    why spend money when employees are in the top club and teams in said club can have their resources transferred from team to team? that alone makes a lucky pull from boxes where the "odds" are not even accurate more of an incentive to not spend a penny on this cabal-owned enterprise… 

Oh man I'm loving today. DFBB, you better get to work my friend. A lot of info is being spilled here.

This is going to be a fun day.

PS: This info has been relayed to me in back channels by more than one player in the past week or so. Couple that with Monte's info....

FUN TIMES AHEAD!!

Too bad no one is getting lawyered up.

• JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    Too bad no one is getting lawyered up.

• dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    lol this is great, they might make a Netflix special about this. Lets hope nobody takes this post down now, it does have its own thread now so its not violating any forum rules. Lets see how long it lasts before it gets taken down.
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
  • jmsorioles33jmsorioles33 Registered Users, Member 392 Posts
    dkarski87 said:
    lol this is great, they might make a Netflix special about this. Lets hope nobody takes this post down now, it does have its own thread now so its not violating any forum rules. Lets see how long it lasts before it gets taken down.
    Tapper King
  • whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts
    dkarski87 said:
    $100k?  What’s the series going to be called? How to find a big sucker?
    I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.  You mean the round and level? 
    - Blueleopard
  • slafrance2slafrance2 Registered Users, Member 1,370 Posts
    i'd like to hope for that persons sake it was 130k over two years since they did the 19-20 roll over.
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    Housewives of TSB..
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    Nah it was like the last 6-8months... lol

"Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
  • lovingcurveslovingcurves Registered Users, Member 279 Posts
    Please post that in the screenshot section 🤷‍♂️