2020 VIP Council: Remote Control!

Comments

• whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts

I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.  You mean the round and level? 
    - Blueleopard
  • jmsorioles33jmsorioles33 Registered Users, Member 392 Posts
    This sounds like it was a really great couple of days for the game, and knowing a few of the guys involved, great for the players too. 

One thing i think that could be helpful is potentially adding a smaller session or two around this more intensive November one. Maybe a mini-forum touch base in May or June (over zoom) to see how players like the new elements rolled out in TSB 21’ so adjustments can be made with a lot of the MLB season left. Then potentially a late January session to get feedback on how the November changes played out so adjustments could be made prior to the next beta release. The smaller session(s) could be with different players to cast a wider net or the same cohort throughout the year, either would work.

Thank you @blueleopard for coordinating and selecting a great group of guys to represent the players! I’m excited to see it all play out over the next few months.
  • lefty10lefty10 Registered Users, Member 62 Posts
    This sounds like it was a really great couple of days for the game, and knowing a few of the guys involved, great for the players too. 

One thing i think that could be helpful is potentially adding a smaller session or two around this more intensive November one. Maybe a mini-forum touch base in May or June (over zoom) to see how players like the new elements rolled out in TSB 21’ so adjustments can be made with a lot of the MLB season left. Then potentially a late January session to get feedback on how the November changes played out so adjustments could be made prior to the next beta release. The smaller session(s) could be with different players to cast a wider net or the same cohort throughout the year, either would work.

Thank you @blueleopard for coordinating and selecting a great group of guys to represent the players! I’m excited to see it all play out over the next few months.
    Great ideas Jesse!!
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    If @lefty10 is no longer lurking, then by god maybe some things can change around here. 
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • mastodonrocksmastodonrocks Registered Users, Member 55 Posts
    edited November 2020
    Here are a couple of thoughts burning through my head right now. Just got a splash screen for the featured player I can win in EB events this month. Who cares. He is 470 and only diamond teams can get top 10 in EB events. I’m platinum and shoot for top 25. But I can’t imagine diamond players care about a 470 guy you can’t easily repull, etc. My team is all-legend and I don’t care either. The bonus value is usually the same as a regular prime guy in events so nobody cares. 

Monthly reward guys:  If you are pulling this guy end of month, he is worthless. I pulled Kyle Lewis super early in whatever month he was offered. Excited!  Super excited! But never used him. Jack those guys up for a true get if someone happens to be so lucky. 

Speaking of the Mariners, where is Edgar?!?
    If @lefty10 is no longer lurking, then by god maybe some things can change around here. 
    More interesting convos here than fb. 😂🤷🏻‍♂️
    @retirepujols I need @blueleopard to notice me for the next council haha
  • bigmeatpetebigmeatpete Registered Users, Member 48 Posts
    Here are a couple of thoughts burning through my head right now. Just got a splash screen for the featured player I can win in EB events this month. Who cares. He is 470 and only diamond teams can get top 10 in EB events. I’m platinum and shoot for top 25. But I can’t imagine diamond players care about a 470 guy you can’t easily repull, etc. My team is all-legend and I don’t care either. The bonus value is usually the same as a regular prime guy in events so nobody cares. 

Monthly reward guys:  If you are pulling this guy end of month, he is worthless. I pulled Kyle Lewis super early in whatever month he was offered. Excited!  Super excited! But never used him. Jack those guys up for a true get if someone happens to be so lucky. 

Speaking of the Mariners, where is Edgar?!?
    How about making the monthly reward player a bonus player for the month? 99% of players only pull him the last day anyway
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts

The rising stars guy usually has friendly skills and is a good source of bonus points for diamond guys. He’s well below the curve and wouldn’t start for me either, but simply for points, I usually level him for the weekends. 
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • samthemansamtheman Registered Users, Member 686 Posts
    Was hoping to see new PXP/LXP boxes added to the gold box menu.
  • JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    -Box odds for legends are likely to mirror ‘19. They will try to push it as early as Friday, but if not, I’d expect them for the following weekend.

I had heard this wasn't final? That they were just looking into this year's odds versus past years but made no immediate decision. However, based on this comment above, it seems like its a "go"?

This, imo, has been the one fatal flaw for me with the game this season (aside from WOH being unchallenging/ unrewarding), so if odds are raised on boxes I will be ecstatic.
  • HoumyHoumy Registered Users, Member 3,889 Posts
    @jmsorioles33 has a great point. Since zoom can be set up relatively easy different council events during the year to get a feel for what the players want and expect would be nice and I am all for it not being centered around the VIP segment only and rather a mix of players. I'll personally miss the swag & custom ATG but anything to improve the game 🖖
    "Get ready for some NFTs" - VIP NEWSLETTER ca. 2022

• dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    Should've stayed away @Houmy. Your wallet would've been much happier. 
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
    Forgot to ask before. @Mattattack how much for a #houmywashere mention on your stadium sign? 😁

• jmsorioles33jmsorioles33 Registered Users, Member 392 Posts
    Houmy said:
    @jmsorioles33 has a great point. Since zoom can be set up relatively easy different council events during the year to get a feel for what the players want and expect would be nice and I am all for it not being centered around the VIP segment only and rather a mix of players. I'll personally miss the swag & custom ATG but anything to improve the game 🖖
    I was thinking it could be both. The small, free to Glu, zoom focus group(s) in May/June and Jan, and then the more VIP appreciation type session in November with the cream of the crop players getting ATGs and other swag (like the last few years). 
    edited November 2020
    I think multiple meetings is a great idea, but doubt that would happen as the timing of the council meet seems so appropriate. The game is extremely costly with bunk prize odds and resource squeezing during the prime participation months. Then, once the actual baseball season is over and interest/activity/spending begins to wane, they hold a vip council meeting so they can say - "see, look at us, we're collecting your feedback and making changes!" - and then add some little tweaks to things like availability of players/resources and overall value of specials/event rewards/etcetera, only to be reset back to the original shitty odds, rewards, and resource availability when the next version comes out. Its really just a cycle that gets progressively worse each year as they continuously move the goal posts by a yard or three with each new season.
  • dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    100% correct @JEDDDOGGY. Happens every year, its a PR stunt. Baseball is over, 2020 is already not a focus anymore and they are just playing to the crowds now. Getting the suckers ready for 2021. Making changes here and there to entice users to stay and play, meanwhile the entire season for the most part was a huge let down. 
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
  • babyjbootsbabyjboots Registered Users, Member 465 Posts
    So who asked why the same bugs are around year after year and when will they be fixed?  And why do I have to keep reinstalling the app because it constantly grows and takes up gigabytes of storage?  Also, why did they decrease the odds and change so many things from 19 in the first place?  Anything about reCAPTCHA?
    Looks like loyalty boxes already went up to 60.

So who asked why the same bugs are around year after year and when will they be fixed?  And why do I have to keep reinstalling the app because it constantly grows and takes up gigabytes of storage?  Also, why did they decrease the odds and change so many things from 19 in the first place?  Anything about reCAPTCHA?
    Most of that wasn't addressed directly at the council, but I can share my personal thoughts based on the interactions I've had in the past:

1)Most bugs are related to older phones(panning, woh crash, etc) and quite simply, IOS runs tsb better than android. Case in point, many of the technical issues I experienced as an android user(and old ios) simply hasn't been an issue on the 2020 SE. 
    I actually did bring up that '19 ran fine on my pixel 2, but the same phone gave me a terrible(being kind there) experience for '20. I think that's an engineer and not a dev thing, but from what I gather, '20 is simply much more of a usage hog. Eye candy(stadiums, for example) certainly didn't help in that regard. 
    As far as guys who have to reinstall/clear data, again, that appears to be an android thing. Apologies ahead of time for beating a dead horse and I know it's super, super annoying, but I've yet to reinstall even once this year. 

2)If bugs are not fixed/addressed, it means that they haven't been able to reproduce it on their end. 

3)Box odds are probably the most frustrating issue for '20 and that's assuming you believe in the odds. If you don't, well, there are several threads....Anyways, from my pov, decreased odds were a way to help spenders. The big spenders will likely do what is necessary to obtain players regardless of the cost. Most guys can only afford to take their shots here and there, if at all.

4)ReCapcha isn't ideal for anyone. They knew they'd take a lot of heat for it. Glu wouldn't run it if they didn't feel it was necessary.
    JEDDDOGGY said:
    I think multiple meetings is a great idea, but doubt that would happen as the timing of the council meet seems so appropriate. The game is extremely costly with bunk prize odds and resource squeezing during the prime participation months. Then, once the actual baseball season is over and interest/activity/spending begins to wane, they hold a vip council meeting so they can say - "see, look at us, we're collecting your feedback and making changes!" - and then add some little tweaks to things like availability of players/resources and overall value of specials/event rewards/etcetera, only to be reset back to the original shitty odds, rewards, and resource availability when the next version comes out. Its really just a cycle that gets progressively worse each year as they continuously move the goal posts by a yard or three with each new season.
    I don't necessarily disagree with your post, but I also think it's common business sense to offer more 'value' when interest is waning as opposed to when it's at it's peak. 
    JEDDDOGGY said:
    -Box odds for legends are likely to mirror ‘19. They will try to push it as early as Friday, but if not, I’d expect them for the following weekend.

I had heard this wasn't final? That they were just looking into this year's odds versus past years but made no immediate decision. However, based on this comment above, it seems like its a "go"?

This, imo, has been the one fatal flaw for me with the game this season (aside from WOH being unchallenging/ unrewarding), so if odds are raised on boxes I will be ecstatic.
    It will happen. They will try to push it as early as Friday(tmrw), but no later than next week. 
    Building on what @DFBB just posted

Bugs: Some bugs would be related to a little older devices and I don't think most devs (not just GLU) care about that as much with the rate of consumers upgrading their devices nowadays. Honestly it would be a nightmare and at some times not feasible at all to take older devices in consideration when you are coding a new version. As far as this version being a usage hog over older versions one thing I see has improved, in my case anyway, is leveling players. Used to be in 18 & 19 once I brought a player from bronze to silver I had to restart the app before leveling any more as it would either slow down to a crawl or simply get stuck. I have not noticed anything like that in 20.

Reproducing bugs: even if GLU devs were to reproduce those bugs (panning for example) on their end I don't see any easy fixes for them. With the slew of apps we all have running in the background which doesn't even include system apps there is always going to be conflicts. If you look at some other apps I'm sure you'll notice a few bugs here and there. For me it's mostly fb and even my poker app freezes once in a while much like the pitch freezing lag on multiple devices. I would suggest turning auto updates off however as it did improve on my end in 19.

Box odds: I don't think anyone is ever going to be happy with box odds so I won't even go there. I've never been happy with them myself but I don't recall ever complaining about them (I may be wrong here, memory not what it used to be) as I do realize this is an app to make $$$ and that plays a large part.

Captcha: I believe it was mentioned that was an Android thing that they had no way around but I may have misunderstood the explanation.

edited November 2020
    DFBB said:

1)Most bugs are related to older phones(panning, woh crash, etc) and quite simply, IOS runs tsb better than android. Case in point, many of the technical issues I experienced as an android user(and old ios) simply hasn't been an issue on the 2020 SE. 

I've been using an iPhone 11 pro which replaced my OnePlus 6t. For some reason the app simply closes itself once every few days it seems. Besides that strange little bug, I haven't had a single cvc pan or walk off pan 🤷‍♂️ (or any other bug for that matter). Luckily the random crash has yet to happen during game play, its only been while shuffling around in app. 
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
    DFBB said:

I've been using an iPhone 11 pro which replaced my OnePlus 6t. For some reason the app simply closes itself once every few days it seems. Besides that strange little bug, I haven't had a single cvc pan or walk off pan 🤷‍♂️ (or any other bug for that matter). Luckily the random crash has yet to happen during game play, its only been while shuffling around in app. 
    I've had that issue too. We need a #fixiphone movement....*runs
    I don't necessarily disagree with your post, but I also think it's common business sense to offer more 'value' when interest is waning as opposed to when it's at it's peak. 

Yep, totally. Exactly what I was saying, and it explains the timing of the council meeting as well. That was the main point I was trying to make.
    DFBB said:
    Are the pitchers beheaded in hr battles on your SE as well?
    DFBB said:
    Are the pitchers beheaded in hr battles on your SE as well?
    I only do 5 battles on Weds for the daily challenge, but I've never had that issue.
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    Houmy said:
    Forgot to ask before. @Mattattack how much for a #houmywashere mention on your stadium sign? 😁
    negotiable lol
    DFBB said:
    I only do 5 battles on Weds for the daily challenge, but I've never had that issue.
    Gotcha. Might be the ridiculous notch, then.