šŸšØ Atg šŸšØ: Yabba Dabba Doo!!!

DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
edited December 2020 in General TSB Discussion
Woot!Ā 

If you're not having fun, you're losing.

Comments

• retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    *looks at gold pile, frowns, tells kids to hide my wallet*
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • HoumyHoumy Registered Users, Member 3,889 Posts
    the future ain't what it used to be šŸ™„
    "Get ready for some NFTs" - VIP NEWSLETTER ca. 2022

• SandlotGuruSandlotGuru Registered Users, Member 285 Posts
    What skill set would everyone want to see on Yogi to make him a must have?Ā  My vote would be for either double 1st pitch (elite for WOH and BGs/tournies) or double hot.Ā  If he gets released with RISP (a la Jackie), I may not play for the next week ;o)Ā 
  • whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts
    So disappointed, thread title got me all excited that we were going to have a new ATG!
    I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.Ā  You mean the round and level?Ā 
    - Blueleopard
  • KCTribeKCTribe Registered Users, Member 262 Posts
    What skill set would everyone want to see on Yogi to make him a must have?Ā  My vote would be for either double 1st pitch (elite for WOH and BGs/tournies) or double hot.Ā  If he gets released with RISP (a la Jackie), I may not play for the next week ;o)Ā 
    Iā€™d love HH. Pair it with vs. righties to make him the left handed version of Honus Wagner and Iā€™d chase that mofo.
  • dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
    edited December 2020

2x first pitch would be too OP though I like RHP/1st, RHP/HH is Ted so that's probably out, 2xHH would be nice but I also wouldn't mind BO/HH though hoping Mantle comes equipped with that combo. RHP/Leadoff is bueno as well.
  • benny100benny100 Registered Users, Member 757 Posts

2x first pitch would be too OP though I like RHP/1st, RHP/HH is Ted so that's probably out, 2xHH would be nice but I also wouldn't mind BO/HH though hoping Mantle comes equipped with that combo. RHP/Leadoff is bueno as well.
    Any of the above would be awesome! RISP / Close šŸ¤¢
  • TakeMeOutToTheBallTakeMeOutToTheBall Registered Users, Member 171 Posts
    Give me a combo of bases loaded and tie game.
  • ToughthundercatsToughthundercats Registered Users, Member 1,959 Posts
    Bases loaded and bases empty will more likely be. I will call it right here and now. They will Glu him up since he was awesome last year.Ā 
  • MetsicansMetsicans Registered Users, Member 1,046 Posts
    I could see him being double ROB. That was Babeā€™s skill set last year.Ā 
    I spent some time nerding out on Yogi's career.Ā  Are there any stat heads out there that can rationalize why Yogi won the 1955 AL MVP award?Ā  It appears to have been a down year for him - he was 10th in OPS+ and 9th in WAR.Ā  Meanwhile Mantle led the league in 3Bs, HRs, BBs, OBP, SLG%, OPS, OPS+ and WAR - finished 5th in the MVP vote!Ā  Perhaps Yogi wooed baseball writers with his quotes that year?
    Ā 
    That's crazy that he struck out only 20 times in 541 AB but only had a .272 BA... I would thought his BA would be at least north of .300.
  • 2003cobra2003cobra Registered Users, Member 2,720 Posts
    Definitely no clear reason as to why he was the MVP. With very few walks and strikeouts his babip had to be very low especially compared to others in the chartĀ 
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    In regards to the 1955 race, sabermetrics(war, ops+, etc.) wasn't around back in those days. Even if you only factor in counting stats, Mantle was robbed and it just goes to show you how political things can be.Ā 
  • baseball2020baseball2020 Registered Users, Member 511 Posts
    I did a little digging around and found a couple of articles that mentioned he wasnā€™t really deserving. Itā€™s probably as DFBB said, it was probably political.Ā 

Here is what I found on one website that gave somewhat of an explanation:

HTTPS://THISGREATGAME.COM/BASEBALL-LISTS-LEAST-DESERVING-MVPS/

YOGI BERRA, 1955

The loveable New York Yankee catcher had already won two MVPs coming into the 1955 season, so when he hit a pedestrian .272 with solid but not overwhelming power (27 home runs and 108 runs batted in), many figured a third award wasnā€™t headed his way. Better odds were surely placed on Yankee teammate Mickey Mantle (.306, 37, 99), who had far more alluring numbers, and 20-year-old Al Kalineā€”whose breakout campaign in Detroit included 27 homers, 102 RBIs and a .340 average that made him the youngest batting champion in major league history. But when the votes were tallied, there was Berra on top again, completing the hat trick with his third MVP in just five years.

It was a close shave for Berra, who collected 218 voting pointsā€”just 17 over Kaline and 18 over Clevelandā€™s Al Smith; only seven of the 24 voters gave him a first-place slot.Ā Two factors worked in Berraā€™s favor: One, he was a member of a pennant winner, and two, he played ruggedly everyday at the relatively demanding position of catcher, which MVP voters gave extra consideration to. To wit: That same season, Brooklyn catcher Roy Campanella was being givenĀ hisĀ third National League MVP in five years.

• mastodonrocksmastodonrocks Registered Users, Member 55 Posts
    edited January 2021
    Deleted

DFBB said:

Solid skills, expected a little more bang but solid none the less. Do you have any insight on who the WoH Legend will be?
    edited January 2021
    DFBB said:

Solid skills, expected a little more bang but solid none the less. Do you have any insight on who the WoH Legend will be?
    After refreshing twice a minute for the last 15 minutes, I finally have some insight:Ā 

DFBB said:

WOH? Ā Did I miss a change? Ā Thought this was prime weekend (hoping Iā€™m wrong)?
    - Blueleopard
    Woo hoo!!! Ā I missed something! Ā Posted my message at same time as @dfbb
    - Blueleopard
    @baseball2020 - thanks!Ā  that narrative makes sense - I'd like to think that such a voting travesty would be impossible in modern baseball.
    DFBB said:
    DFBB said:

After refreshing twice a minute for the last 15 minutes, I finally have some insight:Ā 

I guess I can't complain about a free player that close skill is uglyšŸ˜. Don't need a first basemen. Just gonna play to replenish my lxp.
    whynot said:
    WOH? Ā Did I miss a change? Ā Thought this was prime weekend (hoping Iā€™m wrong)?
    Yeah, it was changed last night. Apparently two different royales in two days wasn't enough, we need another one for the weekend! I don't want to complain too much, but I liked who was in the tourney box and was planning to hammer them all weekend during prime šŸ˜…Ā 
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
    whynot said:
    Woo hoo!!! Ā I missed something! Ā Posted my message at same time as @dfbb
    Only wish they'd continue double gold through the weekend.
    Is level 5 the same as yesterday?
    3 minutes in šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
    - Blueleopard

Yogi on VIP gifts to make up for my Cobb chase?
    whynot said:
    3 minutes in šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
    šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ I would've thought someone would've at least have ten cycles in already šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ slackersšŸ¤£
  • drsmartassphddrsmartassphd Registered Users, Member 3,133 Posts

Yes, we are aware of the game having crashing issues in the middle of WoH, but we can't compensate you for the gold you lostĀ at this time. This is done on a case by case basis. - TSB Customer Service