Why no pete rose??

2Next

Comments

• ToughthundercatsToughthundercats Registered Users, Member 1,959 Posts
    DFBB said:
    A lot of that movie has been debunked... a lot myths about Cobb to make a good “Hollywood” movie. Him killing a dude in Detroit which there is no proof of... only 2 people showing up at his funeral when it was actually a private service. When in reality there were so many flowers the funeral home couldn’t accept them all. Cobb being racist that he actually was but so was Woodrow Wilson the president at the time sorry but that’s nothing more than being a product of the time. It’s all debunked holywood bs 
    We can all whip out our moral compass. They'd all be facing different directions, but that doesn't mean any of them are wrong. It's way too complicated. Sports is simple. Much, much easier to judge. lol
    Gotta love the political correctness. Don't know anything about Cobb so not passing judgment on him... but "IF" indeed he was a racist no matter what century it was it's still disgusting and deplorable no matter if your moral compass points north, south, east or west. Nothing to difficult to judge there...
  • More2Most2FirstMore2Most2First Registered Users, Member 777 Posts
    Actually it’s not that clear about Cobb. Many sources stipulates that the author lied a lot about that.
    https://www.metrotimes.com/the-scene/archives/2015/05/15/103-years-ago-that-asshole-ty-cobb-attacked-a-fan
  • More2Most2FirstMore2Most2First Registered Users, Member 777 Posts
    Read that article please @lovingcurves
  • whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts
    Do you guys mind changing the subject?  I mean if what your saying is true he is despicable, but I don’t want glu to pull a Vizquel and replace him with an ATG with crappy skills!
    I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.  You mean the round and level? 
    - Blueleopard
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    DFBB said:
    A lot of that movie has been debunked... a lot myths about Cobb to make a good “Hollywood” movie. Him killing a dude in Detroit which there is no proof of... only 2 people showing up at his funeral when it was actually a private service. When in reality there were so many flowers the funeral home couldn’t accept them all. Cobb being racist that he actually was but so was Woodrow Wilson the president at the time sorry but that’s nothing more than being a product of the time. It’s all debunked holywood bs 
    We can all whip out our moral compass. They'd all be facing different directions, but that doesn't mean any of them are wrong. It's way too complicated. Sports is simple. Much, much easier to judge. lol
    Gotta love the political correctness. Don't know anything about Cobb so not passing judgment on him... but "IF" indeed he was a racist no matter what century it was it's still disgusting and deplorable no matter if your moral compass points north, south, east or west. Nothing to difficult to judge there...
    It's less about being PC and just acknowledging that I'm not qualified to pass judgement on others. Is racism bad? Duh. However, it's rooted in ignorance so that doesn't necessarily make them a bad person. Anyways, I'm not here to debate moral codes. If guys actually want to discuss sports, I'm always game. 
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • fatDaddyfatDaddy Registered Users, Member 318 Posts
    So... I think it would be cool to see Ichiro come back as a Legend this year. Give us the Hit King! 
  • 2003cobra2003cobra Registered Users, Member 2,720 Posts
    There are soooooo many great players that have played or are currently playing the game that we may never see. Ichiro would be an awesome one to get back. Part of the problem this year is that they have incorporated so many different players that we end up getting legends that we’ve never heard of before or so many guys with crappy skills that it takes a little fun out of pulling players at times. I know that there are licensing issues with certain guys but we all know that Glu doesn’t know everything about baseball and how the game works. I would love to see us have a vote to be able to implement certain players. Maybe the top 10 vote getters that don’t have any licensing restrictions. 
    I agree with you up to a point but as a respected pastor once told me when I was a teenager, "The roadway to hell is paved with good intentions, most of the time, but not always, most of the time, good intentions are done out of ignorance".
  • dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
  • dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
    For the record as long as there is an MLBPA logo on this game Bonds will never be asked, nor will any replacement player from 94 strike. Rose has probably never been asked as has been mentioned prior being banned from baseball.

And here's a Cobb article from the gd Smithsonian as opposed to some schlocky blog from/for homers:

• mythicaldragonmythicaldragon Registered Users, Member 2,418 Posts
    Oh you knew him personally? 🙄
  • KCTribeKCTribe Registered Users, Member 262 Posts
    I mean... c’mon now. Nobody here did. You should probably take the Smithsonian’s word for it over some Detroit blogger. That said, Glu could put those skills on Joseph Stalin and call him an ATG and I’d still want him on my team. Lol this game is nothing more than digital players where the name makes absolutely no difference.
  • whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts
    Put the right skills on me and you guys would chase me like a virgin at a rodeo! 🐎 
    I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.  You mean the round and level? 
    - Blueleopard
    KCTribe said:
    I mean... c’mon now. Nobody here did. You should probably take the Smithsonian’s word for it over some Detroit blogger. That said, Glu could put those skills on Joseph Stalin and call him an ATG and I’d still want him on my team. Lol this game is nothing more than digital players where the name makes absolutely no difference.
    Never so true which is why I think they should not have done anything with Omar. It's only a game, one of which I'm sure he doesn't even know that exists. So there's no sweat off his gonads they took him out of the game. It only penalized those who had him and then ripped away for a player that wasn't quite comparable on replacement. One has to think though, if they can make changes that negatively effect the game like that on the spur of the moment what other changes that actually  they can make on the spur of the moment that can positively make the game better but don't 🤔
  • RainOnMyParadeRainOnMyParade Registered Users, Member 117 Posts
    I'm probably older than most on here.  I saw Enos Slaughter play, and he was a vocal racist.  It is also well documented and details of how terrible he treated Jackie Robinson are easy to find.  He is not an ATG , not by stats or any measure.  If you are going to pull one player from the game for accusations (Vizquel), and then glorify a known racist, it just doesn't make sense.  I didn't play this weekend because of it.  It offended me, so I didn't play.  We all make decision based off of our own moral compasses.  
  • HoumyHoumy Registered Users, Member 3,889 Posts
    edited January 2021
    Well looks like Bonds* may have a shot this year. If Schilling makes it though, doubtful, then the HOF will be as meaningless as TSB19.

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2021/01/baseball-hall-of-fame-2021-barry-bonds-roger-clemens-curt-schilling-have-shot-after-106-votes-scott-rolen-todd-helton-soaring.html
    "Get ready for some NFTs" - VIP NEWSLETTER ca. 2022

I love Todd Helton, I would love to see a legend come out of him!
  • Nell44Nell44 Registered Users, Member 5 Posts
    Why not Pete Rose, Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds and the rest? They brought in more more money and maybe the game more exciting then some of these so called legends. I would much rather have the all time hit leader than some player I have to look up on my team.