Things Glu did right.

Comments

• 2020KC2020KC Registered Users, Member 711 Posts
    whynot said:
    2020 has been a wild year for Glu. I'd like to take the opportunity to lay out the pros and cons....
    Pros:
    1- multi city adventures for my Kardashian character. I love the ability to grab a red eye from LA to NYC at any given point
    2- New Outfits!  Love the variety! 
    3- Dating Celebrities!  It's a dog eat dog world out there. We all know this. But it's great to know that if you can keep a following on your Instagram feed, you can land that dream boat. Top shelf!

Cons:
    1-  My friends and I only have 1 issue. K Stars are too hard to acquire. It feels like a P2W game platform. I mean, are the boxes rigged?  Wowzas! 

That's it for now. Keep up the great work Glu!

Dang!!  There are even rigged boxes in Kardashians! 

If ever a BOX was rigged it would be one of theirs.. kind of like how you shore up things at a construction site.

you can't spell deteriorate without detroit
  • JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    edited January 2021
    I've been absent from forums and most line chats for some time now, as I plan to finish this season out and then move to DFS as a full-time hobby again. But, I still drop in on occasion and wanted to add my thoughts.

I agree that you have to spend way, way too much money to do anything remotely fun on the game now. Grinding gets you nowhere. You can now tap 7,000 games (one d6 cycle per day) and save 50k gold for the weekend and it will be gone in 5 minutes and you will likely walk away with a couple primes and a throwaway legend. That is not a good experience.

Even on a weekday, for example, you can buy one of those $100 bundles and you're definitely not getting a set from that. You also need to buy POTW boxes, probably some pitcher box with extremely low odds, and hit the fan rewards guy. That is not a good experience.

A new ATG is released each weekend. The odds are extremely bad. Guys spend $1000, some guys $5000 in some reported cases, and not get the new ATG. Also, there are two in the box so it is inevitable that you pull the one you already have 6x before you get the new one (has happened almost every week to me). That is not a good experience.

There are too many scenarios where people dump tons of money and time into the game and get absolutely nothing enjoyable in return. Overall, just not a good experience.

TSB 2020 = 0/10

Do not recommend.

• ToughthundercatsToughthundercats Registered Users, Member 1,959 Posts
    The one thing I did like is the daily dingers.  If you managed to save up 100 tickets and say you're not very good at it and only got one dinger a ticket that's 11500 in gold. The only thing I question is, why did they take the player boxes out. That was a nice touch when DD came out. I was a little disappointed when they switched it to gold. That is probably my only positive this year... Oh, and I also enjoyed target bash as well, my only two positives this year. Which I'm sure they'll do away with at least one of next year knowing GLU's track record.
  • JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    Well, there's another thing to dislike. I just spent about 20 minutes typing out a very long post, then I edit it once, and it gets flagged for approval and disappears. I'm not typing it again and won't be back here as I also won't be back to TSB after the 20 season is done.
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    These are the things that I enjoyed in '20:

-Gold battles were really popular early in the year/at low tiers. I made some good friends through it and it was probably the most enjoyable tsb experience I've ever had. 

-AS levels being transferred was huge largely because most of us didn't expect it. 

-Club rewards have never been better. You can argue that it still has a long ways to go, but for me personally, it finally made sense to 'club up' on a consistent basis. Similarly, the bracket system was quite transparent for those who cared about such things. 

-Extra bases was a great way of getting resources. It's not exactly a secret, but 'allowing' ties was great for the community. I've lost count of all the people I've interacted with as a direct result of 'team work.' 

-MVP rewards definitely made me play more than I otherwise would. I can't say enough about how much I enjoyed this addition.

-Lineup options are awesome. I don't think I can go back to a tsb version without it. 

There are other 'positives' about '20, but I'd agree with the theme of the thread: most of the 'positives' were overshadowed by two main things:

1)the cost to compete has never been higher: most serious players really value club points and this was a very difficult year. Imo, this is the #1 reason people quit/will be quitting.  

2)team building died with the 'death' of WoH: I want to emphasize that this is only from my pov. There are definitely guys who prefer WoH this year to previous versions(winning is fun). For me, however, my tsb game revolved around chasing bats to help with WoH efficiency and that created a fun domino effect. 

If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    Cost to compete is beyond what its ever been. As many have pointed, if your fortunate enough to get lucky then that's great. But the horror stories you hear and experience this year have been awful. This weekend we had some guys who spent well over 500k gold and over 1k in specials and still didn't get Yogi. The average seemed to be about 300k till you saw a Yogi sighting.
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
    dkarski87 said:
    Cost to compete is beyond what its ever been. As many have pointed, if your fortunate enough to get lucky then that's great. But the horror stories you hear and experience this year have been awful. This weekend we had some guys who spent well over 500k gold and over 1k in specials and still didn't get Yogi. The average seemed to be about 300k till you saw a Yogi sighting.
    That is insane. Should never be like that. If I spent a grand on this game I better see at least the new ATG and that should be automatic, a couple repulls of the previous week's ATG and the Foil legend leveled to at least B10 on repulls. And I still don't think that would be enough. Why I'll never spend any money on this game. I've pulled three ATG'S so far two from CvC boxes Ruth and Cobb and 1 from achievement boxes Gehrig. I feel bad for ones who have spent thousands of dollars chasing ATG'S and haven't landed one yet. I know it's luck but when you throw that kind of money that I hear that's being thrown at GLU I'm sorry they are some real Jacka$$es for not taking care of those people. I know it's ultimately the players responsibility to stop spending but companies also have an ethical responsibility to not take advantage of said people too. 
  • 2003cobra2003cobra Registered Users, Member 2,720 Posts
    I read the thread that Pujols posted and will admit that I quit because of the “tinkering” that they did with woh. I went from cycling 20 times on Mondays to going 0-15? The following Monday. 6 weeks later I finally opened the app again and was back to cycling at will. Glu realized that they made it too tough and scaled back on the difficulty. So there were days where it was tougher but if an idiot like me can cycle 20 times on Mondays then I would say that overall I didn’t find it very difficult. I also remember guys like Alex and Jedd doing 30+ cycles on Mondays.  Also taking a guy to p5 with a  guarantee to cycle cap a relevant player was far better than this year. I will admit that the mega tower is a very nice addition. It would be incredible to see that in a royale event. 
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    edited January 2021
    I feel like, at least personally, some of this cost to compete is the company you keep. Having been in "top clubs" that finish first or second in majors and Cooperstown every day made me irrationally feel like I "needed" to do more. Event rewards are so much better right now, but the resources spent far exceed the resources gained. 

I get it stuck in my head that I need to "pull my weight" which leads to chasing, instead of just being happy and playing harder whenever I get a "lucky pull." I'm going to hop into my holder tomorrow and make the club public for randoms to join so there won't be any manufactured pressure I put on myself. Anyone wanting to escape the nonsense and just chill, but don't necessarily like being alone, is free to join. Ball out if you want, cycle d6 on woh Mondays if you want, it won't matter. 

I'm hoping this transition will bring back some of the "fun" by enjoying the good days and not creating bad days. 
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • Wicked0WildcatsWicked0Wildcats Registered Users, Member 1,040 Posts
    I've certainly had my fair share of complaints, but keep in mind things these things:

1) Franchise coins used to be worthless.  I mean actually worthless. You couldn't use them for anything but an outdated 300+ franchise guy who did nothing for you. So I chuckle a little bit any time anyone says franchise coins are useless. They have way, way more value than they used to. 

2) Repull PXP and LXP were minimal even at high Diamond. 

3) Edwin Diaz made whoever the 5-10 pitcher is today on the highest tower look like a total cupcake. 

4) Gold was 4 a video instead of 5 and much harder to acquire. 

5) My Legend never rose above 330. 

6) There was no repull evolving a player. You could repull a player at Gold 10 as much as you want,  he wasn't going to Platinum until you coughed up the Gold and EVO. 

7) Monday was a tourney day. WOH didn't exist. 

There are many others,  but the game has mostly evolved for the better.
    I feel like, at least personally, some of this cost to compete is the company you keep. Having been in "top clubs" that finish first or second in majors and Cooperstown every day made me irrationally feel like I "needed" to do more. Event rewards are so much better right now, but the resources spent far exceed the resources gained. 

I get it stuck in my head that I need to "pull my weight" which leads to chasing, instead of just being happy and playing harder whenever I get a "lucky pull." I'm going to hop into my holder tomorrow and make the club public for randoms to join so there won't be any manufactured pressure I put on myself. Anyone wanting to escape the nonsense and just chill, but don't necessarily like being alone, is free to join. Ball out if you want, cycle d6 on woh Mondays if you want, it won't matter. 

I'm hoping this transition will bring back some of the "fun" by enjoying the good days and not creating bad days. 
    This is great advice.

Was this the early parts of 18 and before? I started late in 18, maybe a month before 19 came out. I just can't imagine there not being a walk off lol
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71

Was this the early parts of 18 and before? I started late in 18, maybe a month before 19 came out. I just can't imagine there not being a walk off lol
    '17. This is how some of us got hooked...lol
    I've certainly had my fair share of complaints, but keep in mind things these things:

1) Franchise coins used to be worthless.  I mean actually worthless. You couldn't use them for anything but an outdated 300+ franchise guy who did nothing for you. So I chuckle a little bit any time anyone says franchise coins are useless. They have way, way more value than they used to. 

2) Repull PXP and LXP were minimal even at high Diamond. 

3) Edwin Diaz made whoever the 5-10 pitcher is today on the highest tower look like a total cupcake. 

4) Gold was 4 a video instead of 5 and much harder to acquire. 

5) My Legend never rose above 330. 

6) There was no repull evolving a player. You could repull a player at Gold 10 as much as you want,  he wasn't going to Platinum until you coughed up the Gold and EVO. 

There are many others,  but the game has mostly evolved for the better.
    Way to put things into perspective, I suppose. If they just fixed rewards for WoH, I would be fairly happy. The only reason I'm playing today is that I desperately need a second basemen. If it weren't for that it would be another day off.
  • 2003cobra2003cobra Registered Users, Member 2,720 Posts
    Pujols I couldn’t agree more with that statement. I’ve been in a solo club pretty much all year and there is absolutely zero pressure to play or spend. I might cycle once today, not at all since I don’t need the player or 3 times to get the player and then slow play the mega tower for some club points. The best thing is that nobody cares and there is no pressure to play or pay to score club points 
    DFBB said:
    You guys earned players from event rewards back then, right? Or was that 16? I'll admit I skimmed through every year of the forum before.. talk about being a nerd 😏 in either case, I see myself playing a decent amount of tourneys today, I wouldn't mind earning some bonus points for them 🤣
    DFBB said:
    You guys earned players from event rewards back then, right? Or was that 16? I'll admit I skimmed through every year of the forum before.. talk about being a nerd 😏 in either case, I see myself playing a decent amount of tourneys today, I wouldn't mind earning some bonus points for them 🤣
    Nope. And also, no bonus players. It was literally just base points from tourneys and the cap was like 432k(lol) total! The game has definitely evolved for the better. It's tough to argue otherwise. However, again, it's the cost to compete/acquire players that kills everyone.
  • xxHataxxxxHataxx Registered Users, Member 38 Posts
    As opposed to the constant negative complaints, really hoping a more "positive" vibe thread like this is something Glu actually looks at.
  • whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts
    In 16 you earned a stud player for weekend prime.  Those were the days when you could collect in multiple clubs too 😁
    I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.  You mean the round and level? 
    - Blueleopard
  • samthemansamtheman Registered Users, Member 686 Posts

2003cobra said:
    Pujols I can see where that can be a problem. 
    WOH launched early December of ‘17. It was fun at first. I never finished it that year as I’d already finished Diamond and wasn’t going to start spending just for that.  Bonus players did not exist yet either. They arrived not long before ‘18 did. Those were fun at first too, when they gave you real points for the teams of the day and players that were already in the game.
  • jalapenocubbiesjalapenocubbies Registered Users, Member 1,057 Posts

I gave up points a while ago, I rank because I play Bonus Games a lot. The fun part to me is building a good team. This can’t be achieved via woh anymore because those guys suck. It has been next to impossible to pull top level players without spending a small fortune. 

The deep down root of the issue to me is still box odds and difficulty to pull top players. As previously mentioned, some sort of gurantee for foil legend or atg would go a long way, even if it’s costly amount, atleast you know and end is in site. 

There’s a lot more to it, and I’m not gonna go on a bash fest here out of respect I have for a lot of people both in the players and the employees who run the game. In the end, this weekend(and today for that mattter) broke me and I finally deleted the app. I hope I stay away, I have doubts I can but I hope I do. 
  • TheFullMonteTheFullMonte Registered Users, Member 1,589 Posts
    edited January 2021
    JEDDDOGGY said:
    I've been absent from forums and most line chats for some time now, as I plan to finish this season out and then move to DFS as a full-time hobby again. But, I still drop in on occasion and wanted to add my thoughts.

I agree that you have to spend way, way too much money to do anything remotely fun on the game now. Grinding gets you nowhere. You can now tap 7,000 games (one d6 cycle per day) and save 50k gold for the weekend and it will be gone in 5 minutes and you will likely walk away with a couple primes and a throwaway legend. That is not a good experience.

Even on a weekday, for example, you can buy one of those $100 bundles and you're definitely not getting a set from that. You also need to buy POTW boxes, probably some pitcher box with extremely low odds, and hit the fan rewards guy. That is not a good experience.

A new ATG is released each weekend. The odds are extremely bad. Guys spend $1000, some guys $5000 in some reported cases, and not get the new ATG. Also, there are two in the box so it is inevitable that you pull the one you already have 6x before you get the new one (has happened almost every week to me). That is not a good experience.

There are too many scenarios where people dump tons of money and time into the game and get absolutely nothing enjoyable in return. Overall, just not a good experience.

TSB 2020 = 0/10

Do not recommend.

Quoted to make sure "people" read this
  • tshea510tshea510 Registered Users, Member 1,786 Posts
    edited January 2021
    For absolutely delusional reasons, Glu broke what didn’t need fixing. ‘18 was near perfect. One could buy the players offered for $20 - $30 without all the theatrics. This time 2 years ago, I was spending a lot on these top level studs. But since that time, either the decision makers were replaced, or they drank a very bad batch of Kool-Aid. They now offer garbage boxes, garbage choices and garbage rewards. So, for the most part, now my money stays with me, not Glu. They have given me, personally, no reason to spend.
    Just a Silver team from the wrong side of the tracks, so what do I know? 🤷
    I'll say this, then leave it alone.  If "micro transactions" truly drive GLU's revenue as has been told to me 1000 times....the changes they've made this year make absolutely ZERO sense.
    I'll say this, then leave it alone.  If "micro transactions" truly drive GLU's revenue as has been told to me 1000 times....the changes they've made this year make absolutely ZERO sense.

id:
    Agreed... Micro transactions should entice someone like me who is F2P to start spending again. Whatever it is they are doing it is continuing to make me never want to spend with them again. It's having a reverse affect. If they fix the box odds to know that I'll get something for what I paid for and fix the WoH awards then maybe I'll be enticed. Way to many horror stories to invest real money into this game. Especially when I'm getting the players from farming gold and spending the farmed gold on player boxes, every once in a blue moon from CvC, gift boxes and achievement awards.
  • jalapenocubbiesjalapenocubbies Registered Users, Member 1,057 Posts
    tshea510 said:
    For absolutely delusional reasons, Glu broke what didn’t need fixing. ‘18 was near perfect. One could buy the players offered for $20 - $30 without all the theatrics. This time 2 years ago, I was spending a lot on these top level studs. But since that time, either the decision makers were replaced, or they drank a very bad batch of Kool-Aid. They now offer garbage boxes, garbage choices and garbage rewards. So, for the most part, now my money stays with me, not Glu. They have given me, personally, no reason to spend.
    I’m not going to say 18 was perfect as the cost to level players then was ridiculous in diamond, which is where they push players every year. But your comment about purchase players is spot on. 20-30 is reasonable IMO. But 50-100 beyond the “New Years” specials like Gibson is ridiculous. Even going back to billy Williams a few weeks ago. It was 49.99 for 34 billy boxes and 1 club gift. And billy wasn’t guranteed until box 36. I may be off in those numbers but I know you couldn’t just get billy, unless at least 2 people bought it in a club. It’s things like this, and potw prime stuff that really baffles me,  beyond box odds. 
    edited January 2021
    For a little more clarity.... I know I'm F2P the box odds for players like myself are decent. Not putting any money into this game I put just a lot of time into it (I know time is money and there is a lot value in time as well but I'm dealing with strictly money here) Nothing put in nothing in return just lost a measure time I'll never get back. If I get lucky like I have been all the more better. But for people who spend real life money on gold and boxes, box odds are atrocious, hideous, disgusting (I can keep going on with adjectives). It should really be the other way around. A little bit harder for those that don't spend and much easier for those who do spend. In that, continuing to unpack this thought, people like me will be like hmmm... It's worth spending $25-$50 a week because I can get the pulls I ordinarily would not be able to if I was F2P. But instead I read horror stories of people that are spending hundreds and thousands of dollars and nothing to show for. That means $50 is a drop in the bucket and my chances are extremely slim on pulling someone, (bad investment) so my chances are much better farming gold spending that gold on player boxes and hitting CvC and so on. See leaving money on the table. Extremely Stupid!
    For a little more clarity.... I know I'm F2P the box odds for players like myself are decent. Not putting any money into this game I put just a lot of time into it (I know time is money and there is a lot value in time as well but I'm dealing with strictly money here) Nothing put in nothing in return just lost a measure time I'll never get back. If I get lucky like I have been all the more better. But for people who spend real life money on gold and boxes, box odds are atrocious, hideous, disgusting (I can keep going on with adjectives). It should really be the other way around. A little bit harder for those that don't spend and much easier for those who do spend. In that, continuing to unpack this thought, people like me will be like hmmm... It's worth spending $25-$50 a week because I can get the pulls I ordinarily would not be able to if I was F2P. But instead I read horror stories of people that are spending hundreds and thousands of dollars and nothing to show for. That means $50 is a drop in the bucket and my chances are extremely slim on pulling someone, (bad investment) so my chances are much better farming gold spending that gold on player boxes and hitting CvC and so on. See leaving money on the table. Extremely Stupid!
    Exactly.  Watching two guys in my club this weekend go hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of dollars deep without completing the set they needed did nothing but help me stuff the hundred dollar bill I had in my proverbial pocket deeper back in.  
    tshea510 said:
    I’m not going to say 18 was perfect as the cost to level players then was ridiculous in diamond, which is where they push players every year. But your comment about purchase players is spot on. 20-30 is reasonable IMO. But 50-100 beyond the “New Years” specials like Gibson is ridiculous. Even going back to billy Williams a few weeks ago. It was 49.99 for 34 billy boxes and 1 club gift. And billy wasn’t guranteed until box 36. I may be off in those numbers but I know you couldn’t just get billy, unless at least 2 people bought it in a club. It’s things like this, and potw prime stuff that really baffles me,  beyond box odds. 
    My last three weeks have basically followed the same cycle.  Spend Monday-Thursday thinking "man, if I just went Diamond, I could stack all the gold I needed from D6 cycles to get the players I wanted."  Planning out resources and spending to make the jump.  Then spend all Friday and Saturday watching the carnage unfold as some of the heaviest D6 cyclers in the game drain weeks worth of gold and cash in a manner of minutes with nothing to show for it.  Nope, nope, nope.  
  • whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts
    As long as guys are willing to drop hundreds of dollars a week then glu will continue to take it, who wouldn’t?!?  Reality is your either part of the problem (big spender) or part of the solution.
    I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.  You mean the round and level? 
    - Blueleopard