Catcher dilemma...

ToughthundercatsToughthundercats Registered Users, Member 1,959 Posts
I have Piazza capped and skills 16/16, I got Bench the other day he's actually sitting in my inactives right now and I just got Carter from the achievement box. I know Carter is 580 but I am not to crazy about his skill set. Piazza does amazing job when we have lefties for WoH 5.9 or 5.10. But I'm sure Carter will struggle closing out. If anybody can give me insight on wether I should level Carter or not. I like the idea of a 580 but it may not be worth the lxp or evo if he's a marginal upgrade.

Comments

• samthemansamtheman Registered Users, Member 686 Posts
    For general gameplay I would expect Carter to be significantly better than Piazza. Hot hitter is a top skill and I’d take that plus extra rating over LHP skill anytime, regardless of what other skills the player offers. And you can keep  the pizza man for WOH. If you have a big need somewhere else in your lineup I’d just wait, because remember that the first players to come out after a bump are not usually the best players offered at that rating.
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    I look at these guys with non-hand dominant skills as nearly switch hitters. Carter has risp, which is meh, but he has two skills that can be active in every single game mode against lefties and righties. I'm not saying level him, but I'm saying he's not too shabby (especially for the first box of a bump). 

I'm not familiar with piazzas skills, but I'm assuming he's good enough to not warrant ab immediate replacement?
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • ToughthundercatsToughthundercats Registered Users, Member 1,959 Posts
    I look at these guys with non-hand dominant skills as nearly switch hitters. Carter has risp, which is meh, but he has two skills that can be active in every single game mode against lefties and righties. I'm not saying level him, but I'm saying he's not too shabby (especially for the first box of a bump). 

I'm not familiar with piazzas skills, but I'm assuming he's good enough to not warrant ab immediate replacement?
    Lhp and MoB skill set.

Maybe level Carter and then Platoon Reggie Jackson and Piazza at DH depending on if there is rhp or lhp for level 5
  • CanadaCubsCanadaCubs Registered Users, Member 1,235 Posts
    Not gonna lie, I read the title and immediately thought of @2020KC. He's always complaining of having to be my catcher...
    "If you can't beat them, report them"
  • babyjbootsbabyjboots Registered Users, Member 465 Posts
    I have the same dilemma.  I have Lieberthal at C (550, RISP, HH) and pulled Bench and Carter.  Bench definitely isn't worth the upgrade but Carter might be at 580 vs. 550.  Even Carter is a bit of a stretch since I don't upgrade unless I get a good bang for it.
  • ToughthundercatsToughthundercats Registered Users, Member 1,959 Posts
    I have the same dilemma.  I have Lieberthal at C (550, RISP, HH) and pulled Bench and Carter.  Bench definitely isn't worth the upgrade but Carter might be at 580 vs. 550.  Even Carter is a bit of a stretch since I don't upgrade unless I get a good bang for it.
    I'm still trying to evaluate wether or not it would be a good move. I have a little over 250k lxp and over 500 evo, I don't want to necessarily waste the resources on a player if I could get by with less. I know as soon as I level him an ATG will pop out of a box. I think we pull more irony out these boxes more than anything else sometimes.
  • babyjbootsbabyjboots Registered Users, Member 465 Posts
    Yeah, sometimes it stinks when you pull so many at 1 position.  I've gotten a ton of 1B this season.  It hasn't been spread around to other areas though.
  • 2020KC2020KC Registered Users, Member 711 Posts
    Man, Not here to even defend myself.

you can't spell deteriorate without detroit
  • CanadaCubsCanadaCubs Registered Users, Member 1,235 Posts
    2020KC said:
    Man, Not here to even defend myself.

The struggle is real brother. 
    "If you can't beat them, report them"
  • Grizzly99Grizzly99 Registered Users, Member 249 Posts
    Yeah, sometimes it stinks when you pull so many at 1 position.  I've gotten a ton of 1B this season.  It hasn't been spread around to other areas though.
    That was my last position to fill lol