How many ATG's?

xxHataxxxxHataxx Registered Users, Member 38 Posts
How many ATG's were there last year? Anybody we are missing at this point?
I'm looking for a R as a keeper for next year. Missed out on them so far.
Definitely keeping Cobb, I also have Yogi and the catcher is nice, but I'd prefer to keep one L (Cobb clearly the guy) and a R.
Haven't gotten Mantle yet, but not thrilled with his skills anyway.
Anybody else coming that I may want?
Prev1

Comments

• DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    Possible rightys on the way: Hank Aaron and Roger Hornsby.
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • xxHataxxxxHataxx Registered Users, Member 38 Posts
    Thank you, exactly what I was looking for.
  • slafrance2slafrance2 Registered Users, Member 1,370 Posts
    I hope they come with skills comparable to Ty Cobb :smile:
  • MetsicansMetsicans Registered Users, Member 1,046 Posts
    I have a feeling Eddie Mathews will be an ATG this year. I don't see him in collections so he has not been released this year, although he’s been in the game in the past. And they’ve never had a 3b ATG, to my memory. Eddie is the sensible choice, with other candidates (i.e., Schmidt and Brett) having been released already. 

Satchel Paige was also an ATG last year, could be again. 
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    edited January 2021
    xxHataxx said:
    Definitely keeping Cobb, I also have Yogi and the catcher is nice, but I'd prefer to keep one L (Cobb clearly the guy) and a R.
    I think a few people around here kept righties from last year for woh purposes and regretted it. Righties can come in handy in woh, but that lhp skill really drags for everything else. A guy like DiMaggio would be a good option, imo. A righty with non hand dominant skills. 

Edit: I'm not saying DiMaggio would be a good keeper, as the older atg's have weaker hit ratings than the newer guys - just saying it would be wise to stay clear of the lhp skill. 
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • TheFullMonteTheFullMonte Registered Users, Member 1,589 Posts
    edited January 2021
    xxHataxx said:
    I think a few people around here kept righties from last year for woh purposes and regretted it. Righties can come in handy in woh, but that lhp skill really drags for everything else. A guy like DiMaggio would be a good option, imo. A righty with non hand dominant skills. 

Edit: I'm not saying DiMaggio would be a good keeper, as the older atg's have weaker hit ratings than the newer guys - just saying it would be wise to stay clear of the lhp skill. 
    Does Mantle merit the same consideration as a keeper for non-diamond players?

I’ll agree on keepers for WOH only players; their vastly overrated.  Today was the first time I’ve used keeper Cruz my in a long long time.  I used him because of the club points, but I had probably 3-4 better options on the bench I would have used otherwise 
  • fatDaddyfatDaddy Registered Users, Member 318 Posts
    I kept Bench and Cruz (double vLHP and vRHP) expressly for WoH. When they've gotten their bumps, they've closed for me (pre-ATGs). Even now at the bottom of the curve, Cruz still clears 5.8 on Mega. 

To your point though - they are only ever in my lineup for WoH. I'll likely do the same for next year with Cobb and whoever his counterpart is (unless we get double Hot Hitter). 
    Metsicans said:
    I have a feeling Eddie Mathews will be an ATG this year. I don't see him in collections so he has not been released this year, although he’s been in the game in the past. And they’ve never had a 3b ATG, to my memory. Eddie is the sensible choice, with other candidates (i.e., Schmidt and Brett) having been released already. 

Satchel Paige was also an ATG last year, could be again. 
    We know GLU has a license for Eddie.  GLU didn’t use a single 3B as an ATG last year.  We saw like 17 versions of him in 19 and ZERO thus far. I would be pretty pretty surprised if he’s NOT an ATG this year.

I’ll agree on keepers for WOH only players; their vastly overrated.  Today was the first time I’ve used keeper Cruz my in a long long time.  I used him because of the club points, but I had probably 3-4 better options on the bench I would have used otherwise 
    I wouldn't keep Mantle, personally. Keepers hold their greatest value in the first quarter of the year when they go from the best in the game to a step behind - and I would personally want keepers that have use in woh and all other modes. That's just me, though. 
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71

I wouldn't keep Mantle, personally. Keepers hold their greatest value in the first quarter of the year when they go from the best in the game to a step behind - and I would personally want keepers that have use in woh and all other modes. That's just me, though. 
    Those two statements are incongruous.  Does not compute
  • CanadaCubsCanadaCubs Registered Users, Member 1,235 Posts
    It really depends on what level you plan to play at, and also if you’re a WOH specific player. I lost interest in WOH midway through 19, so the Keepers I brought over had universal skills. Definitely wouldn’t consider a double right batter. Who you pick really isn’t the end of the world as club points are the name of the game this year, and most likely next year as well. All I can say is that the majority of pitchers you face are going to be right handed. So far, I’m likely taking Yogi and Babe, unless a 3B beast comes available 
    "If you can't beat them, report them"
    I’m curious how many others at Plat or Diamond are able to use their keeper as a WOH closer.  My keeper Cruz hasn’t been a viable option there for me in quite some time.  He’s too far behind the curve.
  • dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    Haven't used keepers since Legends dropped, and this is the case every year. Keepers are only good for the first part of the game, they are actually still great even when Primes come out. But usually once Legends drop inside the game, they become irrelevant, even at 20/20 skills. Also, with the new WOH "approach" there wasn't a need for heavy WOH rosters this year. Just keep that in mind if your playing next year, you want the best bats that will help you gain resources during the early months need to be WOH friendly. Unless they really decide to screw with WOH every more next year and make it completely irrelevant, then all you need to do is buy your resources instead of earning them.
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    xxHataxx said:
    Bats that still look like they are coming (Mays, Aaron, Hornsby)

Pitching (Paige, Wilhelm, Cy young)

People mentioning Eddie Mathews not being released just kind of feels right, too. No atg 3B last year was quite the buzz kill for people chasing an all-atg lineup. 

People mentioning Eddie Mathews not being released just kind of feels right, too. No atg 3B last year was quite the buzz kill for people chasing an all-atg lineup. 
    i was hoping that for Brett earlier but then he got used a lame walk off prize :*(   guess its still possible with Eddie

• jalapenocubbiesjalapenocubbies Registered Users, Member 1,057 Posts
    If things lineup like they have in years past, 21 will drop on or around 4/1/21. That still gives us 10-11 more ATG this year, assuming they maintain the 1 per weekend model. That doesn’t include any they sell. I’m assuming like last season, end of season regular Legends, and newest ATG will have better base numbers than older ATGs. But like @dkarski87 keepers really have no value after mid season.
    If things lineup like they have in years past, 21 will drop on or around 4/1/21. That still gives us 10-11 more ATG this year, assuming they maintain the 1 per weekend model. That doesn’t include any they sell. I’m assuming like last season, end of season regular Legends, and newest ATG will have better base numbers than older ATGs. But like @dkarski87 keepers really have no value after mid season.
    I was excited to see Jose Cruz as a bonus dude yesterday.  Was the first time he was in my lineup since probably September or October
    yeah that gap has already started.
    The early ATGs (Joe D, Ted, Babe) have a base hit of 179
    The more recent ones (Cobb, Jackie, Mantle) are at 180
    And newer legends from this weekend forward (Baker, Moliter, Bowa,Bando, etc.) are at 181.

So yeah definitely something to keep in mind if you are already thinking about keepers.
  • jalapenocubbiesjalapenocubbies Registered Users, Member 1,057 Posts
    And newer legends from this weekend forward (Baker, Moliter, Bowa,Bando, etc.) are at 181.

So yeah definitely something to keep in mind if you are already thinking about keepers.
    Yep and I know a lot of people think it’s nominal but at diamond level each 1 point base is 5 points at diamond. So 179 vs 181 is 10 points at diamond so by the end of the season I’d guess the top legends will be 15-20 points higher over the early ATGs. I made the case all atg should have the same base numbers, at the very least hit rating but that didn’t work out. 
  • samthemansamtheman Registered Users, Member 686 Posts
    I’m curious how many others at Plat or Diamond are able to use their keeper as a WOH closer.  My keeper Cruz hasn’t been a viable option there for me in quite some time.  He’s too far behind the curve.
    I’ve used Brett to close at times this year but not recently. He was certainly effective when I did.
  • ToughthundercatsToughthundercats Registered Users, Member 1,959 Posts
    edited January 2021

Yep and I know a lot of people think it’s nominal but at diamond level each 1 point base is 5 points at diamond. So 179 vs 181 is 10 points at diamond so by the end of the season I’d guess the top legends will be 15-20 points higher over the early ATGs. I made the case all atg should have the same base numbers, at the very least hit rating but that didn’t work out. 
    They aren't going to do that. They want everyone chasing hard throwing money at the newest ATG because if all ATG's are made the same or at least hitting is, then a lot people would stop chasing and keep the earlier ATG'S. Glu doesn't want that. Even though they have moved on to '21 they want everyone to keep throwing money at them. They always want to up the ante. Chase, chase, spend, spend, a repetitious vicious cycle they force everyone to become apart of. Have to have the newest, greatest....

i agree with that too but at the same time i get it.  oh well
    xxHataxx said:

I managed to pull Hank on my first 500g box this weekend. So He's definitely coming as a keeper. Cobb is the front runner still for the other keeper.
    The 2x OF sucks a bit. Not so much if they keep the multiple lineups option in 21. But got my Lefty with 2x RHP and my Righty with 2xHH. Can't really complain.
  • babyjbootsbabyjboots Registered Users, Member 465 Posts
    I think there is too much emphasis on keeping ATGs bats.  By the end of last year there were plenty of 600 players with the best skills and equivalent numbers to ATGs.  Pitchers might be an exception.
    edited January 2021
    Last year, ATG’s were a couple points better in ratings than regular legends.  Thus far they’ve been identical haven’t they?

my Ty Cobb and Jim Edmonds have the exact same HIT rating, but Edmonds actually has a higher power rating.  Both are better than Ruth’s HIT though
    Some were better and some weren't last year.  I think Wagner, Ruth, Musial had the highest hit but I had a Gonzalez that matched Ruth and a Cruz, Cabrera, and Ferrell that were higher than other ATGs.
    To be honest, Aaron I want almost purely for personal/favourite player ever reasons. That and 2xHH is probably my favourite skills combo due to being useable in every format.
    Cobb i'm keeping for the 2xRHP skill, but will gladly(read likely) replace him if someone with similar skills and a better position (not thrilled with bringing over 2 outfielders) comes up. Last year I brought Brett with the 2xRHP skills. Him and Aaron would be a nice combo to bring over. 
    A LHB catcher would fit that slot nicely too.
    Don't keeper ratings get all out of whack? Whoever has the best hit/power now might not necessarily translate to next year. For all we know, Babe may end up with ridiculously high speed or Hank with low power or some other nonsense.  
    Yup that's definitely true.  I brought Wagner over and at 550 this year he comparatively sucks.  Last year sweet, this year shit.