GLU sold !!!

ThunderstormerThunderstormer Registered Users, Member 215 Posts
Electronic Arts bought GLU for $2.4 billion per the Wall Street Journal. Figure one or two of y’all will have some comments...
Prev1

Comments

• DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    Congrats on those who had Glu stock!
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts
    Well that’s great news!!!  They can’t be any worse then glu and if they are then we can all finally delete the app!
    I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.  You mean the round and level? 
    - Blueleopard
  • More2Most2FirstMore2Most2First Registered Users, Member 777 Posts
    This gives me hope that I can play again down the road 😁

Also, yes @DFBB, I read that Glu stock holders were paid out at full closing stock price PLUS an additional 36% premium.  We should have all bought stock instead of bundles 🤣
  • TakeMeOutToTheBallTakeMeOutToTheBall Registered Users, Member 171 Posts
    Worst you were short selling the stock and buying bundles while complaining all the time about the company not able to release a stable app and bad customer service. Strike 3 you’re out.

Also, yes @DFBB, I read that Glu stock holders were paid out at full closing stock price PLUS an additional 36% premium.  We should have all bought stock instead of bundles 🤣
    My initial thoughts are that the trend we've seen over the years(more expensive to compete) isn't going to change anytime soon. Everyone talks about '18 as if it was the best thing ever(really, it was terrible until the last 3 months), but in terms of numbers, glu continues to grow tsb(and their portfolio) each year. The numbers/terms of the sale reflect the job they've done over the years.
    Without going into details, I'm not exactly thrilled about the future of tsb. I hope I'm wrong, but a quick google search of EA and 'loot boxes' doesn't give me much confidence. 
  • jalapenocubbiesjalapenocubbies Registered Users, Member 1,057 Posts
    DFBB said:

My initial thoughts are that the trend we've seen over the years(more expensive to compete) isn't going to change anytime soon. Everyone talks about '18 as if it was the best thing ever(really, it was terrible until the last 3 months), but in terms of numbers, glu continues to grow tsb(and their portfolio) each year. The numbers/terms of the sale reflect the job they've done over the years.
    Without going into details, I'm not exactly thrilled about the future of tsb. I hope I'm wrong, but a quick google search of EA and 'loot boxes' doesn't give me much confidence. 
    Correct here. I’ve read horror stories, some worse than what folks go through here. No game will ever give up the opportunity to make money so there is no going back. In response to the 18 was perfect, I think the player level up costs were obviously SUBSTANTIALLY worse. But without bonus sets and woh producing top level players that’s where it had the advantage. In the end, like you said games are always evolving and part of that is the cost to compete. There is no turning back at this point and this won’t help it. 
  • cb11cb11 Registered Users, Member 341 Posts
    I'd agree with you guys. The only mobile game company I've seen without a purely maximizing profit is Supercell. The trade-off with that company is their games (Clash of Clans) has an endpoint like old-school video games
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    I think the “18 is great crowd” are primarily people that only care about walk off.   Walk off actually wasn’t great until the last few months of that year either.  The game is far better now then in 18 in most aspects.   It costs more to compete now but that shouldn’t really surprise anyone 
    I think the “18 is great crowd” are primarily people that only care about walk off.   Walk off actually wasn’t great until the last few months of that year either.  The game is far better now then in 18 in most aspects.   It costs more to compete now but that shouldn’t really surprise anyone 
    Mine is mostly coming from the I hate bonus sets mentality. I do remember LL Lindor being In woh October or November. I also remember an NLcS yelich as well who was pretty good for a long time. 
  • Base15Base15 Registered Users 504 Posts
    I have played EA Madden Mobile competitively for years. I’ve been in a top 5 league (which is like a TSB club) for the last 4 years. It’s hard to image EA being worse than Glu, but many of the Madden players aren’t particularly thrilled with EA. Madden has gotten worse every year. I likely wouldn’t be playing it if we weren’t in the middle of winter during a pandemic. 

Certain aspects of the game are fun, but the grind to stay at the top is requires a lot of work. At least that work isn’t just hitting an auto play button - you need to play some actual finger football.  That being said it is extremely tedious and/or expensive to be at the top of the game. 
  • babyjbootsbabyjboots Registered Users, Member 465 Posts
    I bet EA will clean up a lot of things related to freebies and hacks.  Not as many mistakes leading to freebies and holes will be fixed.
    Base15 said:
    I have played EA Madden Mobile competitively for years. I’ve been in a top 5 league (which is like a TSB club) for the last 4 years. It’s hard to image EA being worse than Glu, but many of the Madden players aren’t particularly thrilled with EA. Madden has gotten worse every year. I likely wouldn’t be playing it if we weren’t in the middle of winter during a pandemic. 

Certain aspects of the game are fun, but the grind to stay at the top is requires a lot of work. At least that work isn’t just hitting an auto play button - you need to play some actual finger football.  That being said it is extremely tedious and/or expensive to be at the top of the game. 
    Im only asking because I don’t know how you play TSB, but do you see it different in this game vs madden? Trying to be competitive in Tap is tedious and/or extremely expensive. Having played for 4 years every year requires either more money or more time each and every year. 
  • JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    If I had enough money I would buy glu and repurpose TSB servers as box fans
  • whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts
    I think it’s unrealistic to expect the price to compete to decrease, which is why I don’t compete.  I am hopeful that they will cleanup the screwups, glitches, auto tap, etc, but mainly I just hope they will be more responsive to customer service issues.
    I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.  You mean the round and level? 
    - Blueleopard
  • tshea510tshea510 Registered Users, Member 1,786 Posts
    I HATED walkoff back then, until prizes were better. Fan Rewards were FAR superior to this garbage now. There wasn’t such a crap shoot (did someone say rigged boxes?) like there is now. ‘18 was BY FAR superior in the simple ‘bang for the buck’ return on investment. But then everyone has a different approach to the game and different memories of how it used to be.
    Just a Silver team from the wrong side of the tracks, so what do I know? 🤷
  • mythicaldragonmythicaldragon Registered Users, Member 2,418 Posts
    Thank god....I think it’s great news!! Will the “loot box odds” be better?? doubtful. 
    What will be better is overall game play functionality, glitches and crashing. Tsb feels generic in comparison to a EA game like madden. So I expect they will clean all that up. Sooooo what changes?? Still crappy box odds but a better overall functioning game. Seems like a win to me 🤷🏻‍♂️
    Also 18 was better for so many reasons... it didn’t take 400k to pull a player. Fan rewards rewarded a near top overall player. Woh while it’s was very hard until the last few months and it did reward a top overall player all year. However we all have our opinions some people prefer an easier game with a lesser reward... Not me.. 🤷🏻‍♂️
    Congratulations EA!! And stock holders!
    So long glu... don’t let the door 🚪 hit you in the ass!!!🤣
    Im only asking because I don’t know how you play TSB, but do you see it different in this game vs madden? Trying to be competitive in Tap is tedious and/or extremely expensive. Having played for 4 years every year requires either more money or more time each and every year. 
    The games are very different. You don’t need to acquire new players every day in Madden. They have promos where you acquire things to build the players that you want.  There are some things that are like TSB boxes, but for the most part you can build players you want. There is also an Auction House for buying and selling players. Some people have top flight teams without spending any money by working the Auction House for coins.  It becomes a lot like a stock market game which I’m not at all interested in. 

You can acquire resources and players by participating in tournaments. People will play ridiculous amounts to place high. Playing drives over and over is really tedious. I suppose in that way it’s like TSB. 

You can forego a lot of this by spending a lot of money. 

That will give a good team, but you still have to learn how to run plays and set up defensive strategies to be really good at it. As an example, one top league spent 100 hours testing defenses to figure out how to stop one play. The game can be fun and not too expensive if you want to have a pretty good team and be decent at the game. 

Not to burst everyone’s bubble, but there are glitches that people take advantage of pretty regularly. My league does not by rule. I don’t run in the TSB circles to know of the glitches so I can’t compare the two games in that regard. 

Sorry for the dissertation. It was kind of a complicated question to answer and was the short version. Lol. Plus I wanted to make @drsmartassphd proud. 😁
  • blueurmyboyblueurmyboy Registered Users, Member 36 Posts
    EA IS HORRIBLE! They are killing Madden mobile off, and they will wreck this game too. It'll take some time, but they will run it into the ground. I just started playing Tap 3 months ago, and it's already over. Eff me
    EA IS HORRIBLE! They are killing Madden mobile off, and they will wreck this game too. It'll take some time, but they will run it into the ground. I just started playing Tap 3 months ago, and it's already over. Eff me
    I was trying not to extinguish the hope, but I feel like this most days to be honest. 
  • CanadaCubsCanadaCubs Registered Users, Member 1,235 Posts
    I have been a strong supporter of EA since early 1990s. They were head and shoulders above their competition. Somewhere around 2008/2009, their intentions and direction became clear- They want to milk the online community for every drop.  They basically abandoned all efforts into being the best sports game producer and diverted their attention to the online competition game modes. This is coming from someone who purchased every madden and nhl for nearly 20 years. This company is horrible. Only makes sense they pair up.  It’s not like the higher ups at Glu didn’t used to be execs for EA. Fking joke. 
    "If you can't beat them, report them"
  • lefty10lefty10 Registered Users, Member 62 Posts
    From the things I’ve heard/read, I’m not very hopeful on the EA acquisition. I do miss the old days of woh, not the Diaz days where it was extremely difficult but the days when you could cycle cap a guy to accumulate resources. Woh used to be the premier event that everyone looked forward to playing, but when I hear of some guys pulling the player only like 3 times in 40 something cycles on a weekend royale, that’s extremely disappointing. Especially when it’s not a top max overall player that will make your team after the event is over. IMO, tsb has just become all about cycling d6 for gold so you can blow it all chasing box players for bonus points. And on that note, there are way too many bonus players and/or sets now. Pay to win is likely going to drive me away from playing competitively going forward.
  • mythicaldragonmythicaldragon Registered Users, Member 2,418 Posts
    Coming from someone that has played this game since  around 15 and used to spend thousands every year I’ve watched it go down hill.. I welcome EA. 
    I HATE glu so much that I welcome ANY ownership change and I hate change.. if EA does an equally terrible job of running the app (which I find impossible) so be it. At least the glutards won’t be in charge anymore. At least I won’t have to talk Juan the costumer service dude that doesn’t even know what Woh is. At least we might have people that actually know what baseball is and maybe they might know players actual positions!! EA will also expand their player catalogue... no more bs repeat no name legends! 
  • 2020KC2020KC Registered Users, Member 711 Posts
    WILMINGTON, Del., Feb. 08, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Rigrodsky Law, P.A. announces that it is investigating Glu Mobile Inc. ("Glu") (NASDAQ GS: GLUU) regarding possible breaches of fiduciary duties and other violations of law related to Glu's agreement to be acquired by Electronic Arts Inc. ("Electronic Acts") (NASDAQ GS: EA). Under the terms of the agreement, Glu's shareholders will receive $12.50 in cash per share.

That didn't take long.
    you can't spell deteriorate without detroit
  • ToughthundercatsToughthundercats Registered Users, Member 1,959 Posts
    I have to agree with @mythicaldragon. Glu is a bunch dimwits, that fail at almost every aspect (@blueleopard I don't include you in that, you're the only positive thing that Glu has going for them personnel wise. I hope EA keeps, you would be an asset). EA couldn't do any worse then what Glu has done. I welcome them. I think CS issues will be a thing of the past and constant issues that Glu always having to give free gifts away (trust me I love free gifts but I love a smooth running game with minimal issues even better) will be cleaned up. I will be happy if box odds stay the same (because I know they wouldn't get any better), they make WoH to be a tool for players to use for team building, and they cut down on the oversaturation of players, make the players have much longer shelf life, and expand the player catalog, I mean for gosh sakes I'm tired of seeing Chris Sabo so many times, I know licensing and all but my gosh can we be creative. On second thought creativity with Glu will mean crashing the game and rendering it useless. Nevermind.....
  • blueurmyboyblueurmyboy Registered Users, Member 36 Posts
    I have to agree with @mythicaldragon. Glu is a bunch dimwits, that fail at almost every aspect (@blueleopard I don't include you in that, you're the only positive thing that Glu has going for them personnel wise. I hope EA keeps, you would be an asset). EA couldn't do any worse then what Glu has done. I welcome them. I think CS issues will be a thing of the past and constant issues that Glu always having to give free gifts away (trust me I love free gifts but I love a smooth running game with minimal issues even better) will be cleaned up. I will be happy if box odds stay the same (because I know they wouldn't get any better), they make WoH to be a tool for players to use for team building, and they cut down on the oversaturation of players, make the players have much longer shelf life, and expand the player catalog, I mean for gosh sakes I'm tired of seeing Chris Sabo so many times, I know licensing and all but my gosh can we be creative. On second thought creativity with Glu will mean crashing the game and rendering it useless. Nevermind.....
    EA can, and has proven they can, do THE worst job. I'm new to TBS, so I'm not privy to the old days. But I'm a MM vet, 6 years. I've watched the game go from top of the charts to the middle. Gameplay has never been worse, comical at times, and the game is trending towards pay to play. If you are a competitive player, you are going to pay thru your teeth once EA gets their tentacles into any game. They do such a shitty job on the actual game play and design, driving players away by the stadium full, that they have to make the game as close to pay to play/win as they can. I started playing TB'S because I am one of the spenders that had enough of EA's circus BS. The first couple years will be good here, but then the EA magic will light the place on fire. 
    EA can, and has proven they can, do THE worst job. I'm new to TBS, so I'm not privy to the old days. But I'm a MM vet, 6 years. I've watched the game go from top of the charts to the middle. Gameplay has never been worse, comical at times, and the game is trending towards pay to play. If you are a competitive player, you are going to pay thru your teeth once EA gets their tentacles into any game. They do such a shitty job on the actual game play and design, driving players away by the stadium full, that they have to make the game as close to pay to play/win as they can. I started playing TB'S because I am one of the spenders that had enough of EA's circus BS. The first couple years will be good here, but then the EA magic will light the place on fire. 
    I don't doubt that you are right, but I hope some of things like CS issues, poor coding across the board, unjustifiable lockouts, and putting people in the naughty corner for thirty minutes because their servers can't handle giving out more than one gift at a time, those are the things that need to be cleaned up. That's what I really hope EA can cleanup that these Glutards could never figure out how to. Everything else is preferential to what individual players what would like to see. Poor CS and poor game performance for the prices they are asking us to pay is IMO inexcusable. 
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    I have been a strong supporter of EA since early 1990s. They were head and shoulders above their competition. Somewhere around 2008/2009, their intentions and direction became clear- They want to milk the online community for every drop.  They basically abandoned all efforts into being the best sports game producer and diverted their attention to the online competition game modes. This is coming from someone who purchased every madden and nhl for nearly 20 years. This company is horrible. Only makes sense they pair up.  It’s not like the higher ups at Glu didn’t used to be execs for EA. Fking joke. 
    This kinda matches up with my opinion of where Madden has gone in recent years.   Up until about 3 years ago I bought it every year but the last few years it was mainly because I used to play an online franchise with a group of friends.   Once life happened we didnt have time for that anymore but I have noticed that in terms of actually adding in game mechanics to improve things, that stopped about 10 years ago.   Basically was just paying $60 for updated rosters at that point.
    Coming from someone that has played this game since  around 15 and used to spend thousands every year I’ve watched it go down hill.. I welcome EA. 
    I HATE glu so much that I welcome ANY ownership change and I hate change.. if EA does an equally terrible job of running the app (which I find impossible) so be it. At least the glutards won’t be in charge anymore. At least I won’t have to talk Juan the costumer service dude that doesn’t even know what Woh is. At least we might have people that actually know what baseball is and maybe they might know players actual positions!! EA will also expand their player catalogue... no more bs repeat no name legends! 
    So just in case you didn’t read anything In regards to the acquisition. Glu is still going to be run by the same people. They are just under the EA umbrella now. Nick Earl is still in charge and I’d imagine, with how profitable TSB has been, we won’t see many changes on that front either. Given the current climate we are in, I certainly hope no one loses there job. But either way, I don’t see much changing overall. EA doesn’t really have a baseball game to feed off of in regards to expanding their player catalogue. Maybe they have deeper pockets to buy more rights but I can assure you, if they do that, that cost will be pushed on the players. My expectation is, they will further expand bonus sets to drive the cost of the game up even more. That’s about all I’d expect. 
    So just in case you didn’t read anything In regards to the acquisition. Glu is still going to be run by the same people. They are just under the EA umbrella now. Nick Earl is still in charge and I’d imagine, with how profitable TSB has been, we won’t see many changes on that front either. Given the current climate we are in, I certainly hope no one loses there job. But either way, I don’t see much changing overall. EA doesn’t really have a baseball game to feed off of in regards to expanding their player catalogue. Maybe they have deeper pockets to buy more rights but I can assure you, if they do that, that cost will be pushed on the players. My expectation is, they will further expand bonus sets to drive the cost of the game up even more. That’s about all I’d expect. 
    This was my take too. I'm anxious to see how it all shakes out, but EA is buying into glu's business practice for obvious reasons. 
    If EA can influence one thing, can that be getting rid of the freaking recaptha??!!