Keepers for 21 help

xxHataxxxxHataxx Registered Users, Member 38 Posts
So, just pulled Bench. My weekend is done lol. Got what I wanted.
I have Ripken, Bench, Yogi, Hank, Cobb as possible's to keep.

I WANT to keep Bench and Hank. Like their skills as being useful in multiple events. Cobb with the 2xRHP feels valuable for WOH, but I was wondering about the possiblity of WOH being changed up next year in regards to lefty vs righty Mon vs Royale. Also the possiblity of using my created player as my lefty go-to in WOH and just rolling with whichever lefties are allowed in-game.

Which 2 of that grouping would you keep?
Prev134567

Comments

• fatDaddyfatDaddy Registered Users, Member 318 Posts
    I'm taking Bench and Cobb, but like your thoughts on Hank. i don't use ML, but have him set to switch-hitter. giving him vRHP negates that advantage. 
  • xxHataxxxxHataxx Registered Users, Member 38 Posts
    That's the thing though.
    If you gear your ML to strictly WOH, you could make him a power hitter or high average lefty with 2xrhp and he's going to be just as good as a keeper lefty. 
    And if you have the keeper's with good skills, even if they are both right handed, seems like not a bad idea.
  • 2003cobra2003cobra Registered Users, Member 2,720 Posts
    One other way of looking at it would be which positions were harder to fill with top tier players. I found that 2b,SS and catcher were the 3 positions that I feel had the worst player options this year. As it stands today, I’m taking Jackie Robinson and 595 Posada and making ML a SS. I brought 2xrhp Musial this year and he was never really my woh closer so I’m not even taking woh into consideration. 2xHH skill players are great for every mode except woh. I would take a close look at Ripken if I were you 
  • TimidDeuceTimidDeuce Registered Users, Member 87 Posts
    I would go Yogi and Cal if I could choose from all ATGs.  I only have Hank and Ted so I’m probably going double OF if I had to choose today.
  • tshea510tshea510 Registered Users, Member 1,786 Posts
    2003cobra said:
    One other way of looking at it would be which positions were harder to fill with top tier players. I found that 2b,SS and catcher were the 3 positions that I feel had the worst player options this year. As it stands today, I’m taking Jackie Robinson and 595 Posada and making ML a SS. I brought 2xrhp Musial this year and he was never really my woh closer so I’m not even taking woh into consideration. 2xHH skill players are great for every mode except woh. I would take a close look at Ripken if I were you 
    We both play extremely similar games, sharing that same “Silver” approach, basically exact same approach. But I’ve gotta disagree about 2xHH skills not great for WOH. I’ve had nothing but great experiences with that skill in WOH. I chased Hornsby specifically to bring him over as my 2B with that skill set as killer. Unfortunately, I laid an egg and got everyone BUT the 2 ATG’s, that’s what I get for chasing. Right now, for me, it’s Cobb and Hank, even though OF is plentiful. Of course, I’ll change my mind 1000 times in next few weeks
    Just a Silver team from the wrong side of the tracks, so what do I know? 🤷
    @tshea510 I’m very inexperienced with using 2xHH in woh do maybe I shouldn’t have phrased if that way. I prefer 2xLI or 2xrhp. We will get new players that could change our minds before 2021 gets here but I’m definitely choosing based upon position. Hornsby would have been great 
    2003cobra said:
    @tshea510 I’m very inexperienced with using 2xHH in woh do maybe I shouldn’t have phrased if that way. I prefer 2xLI or 2xrhp. We will get new players that could change our minds before 2021 gets here but I’m definitely choosing based upon position. Hornsby would have been great 
    In total agreement for WOH, but IMO, 2xHH is one of the best skills for ALL modes, including WOH. Absolutely LOVE that skill. But yes, if focused solely on WOH, the 2x pitcher arm is great. Yeah, the ATG’s I’ve gotten pretty much have fallen in my lap. Chasing Hornsby was brutal, couldn’t land either ATG. So, back to waiting for that falling into my lap luck again. But back to the OP, I’d love to have those HH skills in positions that are a bit less in abundance.
    Isn’t Ripken 2xHH? That’s been my hardest position to fill-I’m still using vizquel/smith. To me he would be a no brainer along with Bench/Yogi if I had to choose between his list of keeper possibilities. 
  • ToughthundercatsToughthundercats Registered Users, Member 1,959 Posts
    My take on keepers is to take the keepers that play to your style. I live the silver life so I play similar to other silver players here. I'm big into team building so WoH and CvC are crucial to me. I'll take a right hand batter that will be good all around something like HH and RoB combo or 2x RoB and a left hand bat good for WoH and CvC for example 2x Rhp, Rhp and RoB, or possibly Rhp and HH combos. I'd only take 2x HH only if it's on a RHB. A lefty 2x HH IMO is a waste especially if you have the other three options. 2x HH IMO while awesome in all other modes especially for CvC, sucks for WoH. 
    2x HH IMO while awesome in all other modes especially for CvC, sucks for WoH. 
    ATG Hank has been my closer since I got him, never fails and never used a gold boost. Keeper Ferrell the same, when he was relevant. Just because the skills aren’t active for the first AB doesn’t make it a bad skill set. One hit, always active after that. Absolutely LOVE 2xHH for WOH. But Cobb is my closer against RH pitching, can’t argue with his skills 😂
  • ToughthundercatsToughthundercats Registered Users, Member 1,959 Posts
    tshea510 said:
    2x HH IMO while awesome in all other modes especially for CvC, sucks for WoH. 
    ATG Hank has been my closer since I got him, never fails and never used a gold boost. Keeper Ferrell the same, when he was relevant. Just because the skills aren’t active for the first AB doesn’t make it a bad skill set. One hit, always active after that. Absolutely LOVE 2xHH for WOH. But Cobb is my closer against RH pitching, can’t argue with his skills 😂
    Maybe Hank, I try Cecil Cooper against lefties thinking he's just as good as a switch hitter...IDK maybe I'm doing something wrong but getting the first hit is sometimes impossible with him. That's 5.6-5.10. He's capped with skills 16/16 but I guess if you don't get a hit, skills don't matter much😂. The only time he consistently does anything for me is with a high WoH skill and a video boost. Even then it's still not a lock.
    What do you guys have for his third skill? 
    Hank has been 11, 14 or 17 for me, don’t notice any difference. But back to the OP, when it’s time to decide, take your best overall ATG, keeping in mind your preference of play and position scarcity. Everyone has an idea of what works best for their gameplay.
    The waters just got a little more muddied for me. Bench or 595 Posada 
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    2003cobra said:
    Bench or 595 Posada 

Definitely Bench since the end game is expected to be ~625. Keepers fall behind enough on their own, a non-max keeper makes it way worse. 
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
    That’s what I was thinking but it’s hard to pass up a 595 SH catcher. Although Bench was one of my favorite players as a youngin so there really should be no debate. He’s off to a great start for me 
  • blueurmyboyblueurmyboy Registered Users, Member 36 Posts
    If the keepers come with a reduced Ovr, does it matter who we keep? They won't stay in starting lineups for too long. 
  • MillecorsMillecors Registered Users, Member 754 Posts
    If the keepers come with a reduced Ovr, does it matter who we keep? They won't stay in starting lineups for too long. 
    Disagree.  Keepers are valuable in all modes at least until Primes come out.  At 1st they will be the only players with "skills".  Then when bxp players with skills drop it will only be 1 skill, then 2.  Keepers with optimum WOH skills can still close even when Primes drop.  Done right they can be valuable for quite a long time.
    I know that I just read somebody in another thread post that keeper Brett is still in their starting lineup due to not pulling a better option. If I had a keeper SS he would be in my lineup for the same reason. . My point is that you never really know how next year is going to go or which players that you will pull. 
  • CanadaCubsCanadaCubs Registered Users, Member 1,235 Posts
    edited February 2021
    Just wait till 21' is in full motion. You dont have to immediately choose once you download it. And if you're not happy with your potential Keepers, keep playing 20' until you find your guys. There will be a lot of opportunities. 
    "If you can't beat them, report them"
  • samthemansamtheman Registered Users, Member 686 Posts
    The thing with keepers more than ever this season is LXP is hard to come by and just pulling the legend players is tougher. So they have a lot of value if you are going to play above silver and aren’t into constantly spending to fill every spot with a current top player and leveling him. I have had  my keepers capped out and starting all of 20 and I can see from season mode stats that are available that they perform.
  • MetsicansMetsicans Registered Users, Member 1,046 Posts
    It’s really too soon to think about keepers, because even ATGs shift in value when the ratings bump happens. As an example, Babe used to have the best power in the game, but now he’s behind the curve. Some of the early ATGs seem to have high speed now, which diminish their value relative to other players who will be available by the end of the game. 

It’s fun to think about but you can’t make an educated decision or even projection right now. 
  • blueurmyboyblueurmyboy Registered Users, Member 36 Posts
    Being a new player, I plan on keeping Cobb and Foxx. They are the only ATGs I have. Are ATGs the way to go? 
  • CanadaCubsCanadaCubs Registered Users, Member 1,235 Posts
    Being a new player, I plan on keeping Cobb and Foxx. They are the only ATGs I have. Are ATGs the way to go? 
    Not necessarily. The comment by @Metsicans above is the way to go.
    "If you can't beat them, report them"
  • samthemansamtheman Registered Users, Member 686 Posts
    There easily could be a player released at the end that will a better choice than many of the ATGs. I do hope they do those end of the year boxes again.
  • sullipa8sullipa8 Registered Users, Member 564 Posts
    samtheman said:
    There easily could be a player released at the end that will a better choice than many of the ATGs. I do hope they do those end of the year boxes again.
    I agree. As far as I’m concerned, I don't have my keepers yet. When the highest max players come out, then I’ll make that choice. 
  • whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts
    ATG’s have added value right now because their max changes to keep them at top of the curve.  As a keeper in 21 there is no ATG advantage, so there is no difference between a 625 ATG vs any other 625.
    I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.  You mean the round and level? 
    - Blueleopard
    samtheman said:
    This is the best example of that:

Additionally, position and team should be major considerations.  The weakest positions are always C, 2B, SS.  I have to choose between Bench, Hornsby and Ripken.  I am most likely going to go with Bench and Hornsby as I am more likely to load up my pennants on Cincinnati and the Cubs before the Orioles. Like I said before... if done right you can get a great jump off to start your team building.  Oh and my pitcher keeper is Hoffman.  To me having a lights out closer is far more valuable than any starting pitcher. 
    It’s definitely to early to feel that you are set in keepers but it’s at least worth talking about different strategies. I only have 4 ATGs but 2 of them aren’t my best players at their respective positions so if I pull better 625s at the end of the season then the ATGs might  get left behind. Like I stated earlier, I am basing my keepers on position.