Keepers for 21 help

Comments

• CanadaCubsCanadaCubs Registered Users, Member 1,235 Posts
    @dfbb, why the under max Brett?
    "If you can't beat them, report them"
  • YardGoatsYardGoats Registered Users, Member 382 Posts
    Are most VIPs taking a 2nd pitcher over a third hitter? Should I be having an internal discussion on Gagne for my final spot?
  • YardGoatsYardGoats Registered Users, Member 382 Posts
    I can’t answer for @DFBB, but double first pitch is pretty amazing! I think Brett still has the best batting average on my team and I have all 610s in my lineup.
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    IMO, it’s the best skill in the game and more importantly, it fits well with how I play. Being under the curve creates a tough dilemma, but this is my current lean.

If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • SandlotGuruSandlotGuru Registered Users, Member 285 Posts
    There is a group of players that have been trying to call attention to how amazing 1st pitch is - but I'm really curious if Glu has fully seen the light.  I think they missed a massive opportunity to make Chipper Jones a unicorn, instead he'll sit on my bench behind 595 Brett.  There's been a rash of legends with one 1st pitch skill, but assuming that Friday is the last meaningful box and ATG release of '20, will be finally see a double 1st pitch ATG?  Musial?  For me, any max player with double 1st pitch would be an instant keeper, regardless of position.  
  • fatDaddyfatDaddy Registered Users, Member 318 Posts
    edited March 2021
    YardGoats said:
    Are most VIPs taking a 2nd pitcher over a third hitter? Should I be having an internal discussion on Gagne for my final spot?
    I was thinking about taking 2 WoH-type hitters (Bench, Snow) and one CVC-type (Mantle?). Not sold either way yet. 
  • mythicaldragonmythicaldragon Registered Users, Member 2,418 Posts
    There is a group of players that have been trying to call attention to how amazing 1st pitch is - but I'm really curious if Glu has fully seen the light.  I think they missed a massive opportunity to make Chipper Jones a unicorn, instead he'll sit on my bench behind 595 Brett.  There's been a rash of legends with one 1st pitch skill, but assuming that Friday is the last meaningful box and ATG release of '20, will be finally see a double 1st pitch ATG?  Musial?  For me, any max player with double 1st pitch would be an instant keeper, regardless of position.  
    Why 1st pitch so amazing? Just making sure I’m not missing something. It’s only on for the first pitch right? 
    Also wouldn’t Monday be the last meaningful box last event for 20? 
    There is a group of players that have been trying to call attention to how amazing 1st pitch is - but I'm really curious if Glu has fully seen the light.  
    Werewolf JT opened the eyes of many and showed that first pitch is the best skill in the game. In between that JT and the 595 Brett, we didn't see much of it. Recently, however, it's been the most common skill released. In that sense, it shows that glu realized the community had embraced it.
    As far as a 2x FP switch hitter, keep in mind that when 'late innings' was the thing, we never got a switch hitter with 2x late either(apologies to Bowa). 
  • SandlotGuruSandlotGuru Registered Users, Member 285 Posts
    edited March 2021
    @mythicaldragon - the magic of the 1st pitch skill is that it doesn't do what its name suggests it "should".  When playing either WOH or simming games, the outcomes are determined based upon active skills as of the beginning of the AB - outcomes are NOT re-calculated after each pitch.  So in the case of WOH, it is ALWAYS active.  Making this more confusing is that if you don't swing at the first pitch in WOH, the lights will go off, suggesting that the skill is no longer active.  This is misleading, because your actual results are unaffected by the lights going off.  Tons of players have tested this and arrived at the same conclusion - 1st pitch is best skill in the game for WOH (same as late innings skill).  When simming games the same logic applies, 1st pitch is ALWAYS on and you'll find that the stats put up by guys with 1st pitch will prove that out.  So in conclusion, for some bizarre reason (coding error?) its the best skill in the game for WOH and simming games, its just not active for CVC.  So for these reasons a 595 George Brett runs circles around a 610 Chipper Jones.   

These ideas have all been plagiarized from @DFBB and re-summarized - so please clarify if you feel differently.      
  • mythicaldragonmythicaldragon Registered Users, Member 2,418 Posts
    @mythicaldragon - the magic of the 1st pitch skill is that it doesn't do what its name suggests it "should".  When playing either WOH or simming games, the outcomes are determined based upon active skills as of the beginning of the AB - outcomes are NOT re-calculated after each pitch.  So in the case of WOH, it is ALWAYS active.  Making this more confusing is that if you don't swing at the first pitch in WOH, the lights will go off, suggesting that the skill is no longer active.  This is misleading, because your actual results are unaffected by the lights going off.  Tons of players have tested this and arrived at the same conclusion - 1st pitch is best skill in the game for WOH (same as late innings skill).  When simming games the same logic applies, 1st pitch is ALWAYS on and you'll find that the stats put up by guys with 1st pitch will prove that out.  So in conclusion, for some bizarre reason (coding error?) its the best skill in the game for WOH and simming games, its just not active for CVC.  So for these reasons a 595 George Brett runs circles around a 610 Chipper Jones.   

These ideas have all been plagiarized from @DFBB and re-summarized - so please clarify if you feel differently.      
    Awesome! That changes things for me.  Thank you for that very well said! 👍🏻
  • TakeMeOutToTheBallTakeMeOutToTheBall Registered Users, Member 171 Posts
    DFBB said:
    As of today, these would be my keepers: 

I’m curious about choosing JT over Bench.
    @TakeMeOutToTheBall I'm not a fan of HH for my keepers. Early on, my focus is on WoH and winning games at diamond. 
  • TheFullMonteTheFullMonte Registered Users, Member 1,589 Posts
    I'm going to struggle with keepers if I decide to play 21 at some point.  I really would like to keep both a SP and a RP.....but the allure of having THREE keeper hitters is awfully powerful.
  • TheFullMonteTheFullMonte Registered Users, Member 1,589 Posts
    DFBB said:
    As of today, these would be my keepers: 

I’m curious about choosing JT over Bench.
    Agreed.  Snow and Brett seem a bit redundant.  
  • tshea510tshea510 Registered Users, Member 1,786 Posts
    DFBB said:
    @TakeMeOutToTheBall I'm not a fan of HH for my keepers. Early on, my focus is on WoH and winning games at diamond. 
    Confusing to me. I thought you said your plan was to stay silver/gold early on (couple of months) then make the move. And to me, double HH is awesome for everything. ATG Hank has never failed as my closer in WOH and RAKES everywhere else. I wish I had a whole team of double HH. But I guess we all play differently with different visions and goals.
    Just a Silver team from the wrong side of the tracks, so what do I know? 🤷
    tshea510 said:
    DFBB said:
    Confusing to me. I thought you said your plan was to stay silver/gold early on (couple of months) then make the move. And to me, double HH is awesome for everything. ATG Hank has never failed as my closer in WOH and RAKES everywhere else. I wish I had a whole team of double HH. But I guess we all play differently with different visions and goals.
    I don't think I'm cut out for the grind of battles anymore(last year, it's all I did for two months). I'll be diamond as soon as I have the resources. I'm motivated to get my club to diamond and that won't happen if my team isn't diamond.
    As far as HH, it's not optimal for how I play. At least, not for keeper purposes. Fwiw, I know my opinion is in the minority when it comes to HH. 
  • KCTribeKCTribe Registered Users, Member 262 Posts
    DFBB said:
    tshea510 said:
    DFBB said:
    I don't think I'm cut out for the grind of battles anymore(last year, it's all I did for two months). I'll be diamond as soon as I have the resources. I'm motivated to get my club to diamond and that won't happen if my team isn't diamond.
    As far as HH, it's not optimal for how I play. At least, not for keeper purposes. Fwiw, I know my opinion is in the minority when it comes to HH. 
    I think you have the right idea @DFBB. I love HH, but it doesn’t make the most sense for keepers no matter what level you play at. Since keepers are only relevant for the first couple of months we should all prioritize WOH. 1st pitch, late innings, vs. L/vs. R should take priority, then HH would be next. HH is a fine option, but second tier for keepers IMO.
    I appreciate the feedback and input and I guess if my keeper Ferrell disappointed, I’d be in agreement. Double HH and C was a no brained for me. And he was relevant for a very long time and still a great table setter option in WOH. We all just have different likes/dislikes. 
  • jmsorioles33jmsorioles33 Registered Users, Member 392 Posts
    KCTribe said:
    DFBB said:
    tshea510 said:
    DFBB said:
    I think you have the right idea @DFBB. I love HH, but it doesn’t make the most sense for keepers no matter what level you play at. Since keepers are only relevant for the first couple of months we should all prioritize WOH. 1st pitch, late innings, vs. L/vs. R should take priority, then HH would be next. HH is a fine option, but second tier for keepers IMO.
    Yea I love HH but the keeper max value window is early on, when everyone's ratings (and levels for most) are lower. HH is excellent when the guy can hit .700 without an active skill (like later in the year at D10), but when they're only going to hit maybe .300-.400 in those situations you're likely to be totally unboosted for your first few ABs each game. 
  • ToughthundercatsToughthundercats Registered Users, Member 1,959 Posts
    So with all that being said, Cobb and Jones would be better keepers then say substituting Cobb for Bench?
  • MetsicansMetsicans Registered Users, Member 1,046 Posts
    I still think the double vRHP is the best skill in the game for keepers. Lots of people hating on it but it plays well in almost every event. There are just so many RHPs. 

For me, if I decide today, I think my keepers are Snow, Yogi, Verlander (somehow my only 610 starting pitcher) and Gagne. But ATGs Cal, Aaron and Ted are options instead of a reliever. 
  • 2003cobra2003cobra Registered Users, Member 2,720 Posts
    I still love the 2xrhp skill since roughly 80% if your abs are against righties. But I couldn’t definitely be persuaded to go with 2x first pitch if I had a hitter on my team that had it. 
  • CanadaCubsCanadaCubs Registered Users, Member 1,235 Posts
    Just to provide some insight into 21' ...I brought over 2 double HH hitters and a guy with vs RHP + ROB, and the latter is way above the others in stats. All 3 are capped at P10. Woh is a shīt show currently, so I wont get into that.  
    "If you can't beat them, report them"
    Just to provide some insight into 21' ...I brought over 2 double HH hitters and a guy with vs RHP + ROB, and the latter is way above the others in stats. All 3 are capped at P10. Woh is a shīt show currently, so I wont get into that.  
    Damn. Back to the drawing board. Thanks for the info.
  • whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts
    You guys rock!  Thanks for reminding me to prioritize early season vs what’s good today in 20
    I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.  You mean the round and level? 
    - Blueleopard
  • More2Most2FirstMore2Most2First Registered Users, Member 777 Posts
    Does anyone know whether you can download 21 and link to existing account, but wait to advance far enough to unlock keepers....and have players you pull on 20 after the fact, available as keepers options on 21 — once you unlock keepers?
  • RollieFingersRollieFingers Registered Users, Member 129 Posts
    Does anyone know whether you can download 21 and link to existing account, but wait to advance far enough to unlock keepers....and have players you pull on 20 after the fact, available as keepers options on 21 — once you unlock keepers?
    Yeah it’s real time, so you can pull over any players you may get in 20 up until you accept your keepers in 21. They just nave to be on your active roster on 20 when you go into the keeper selection page in 21.
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    Interesting. Cal with HH and ROB is hitting slightly better than Yogi with RHP and ROB even though Cal is a righty 🤷 since I plan on staying in the lower levels and WOH sucks, I chose them because of position and I simply wanted them. I won't level a C or SS for a long, long time.
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • ToughthundercatsToughthundercats Registered Users, Member 1,959 Posts
    Interesting. Cal with HH and ROB is hitting slightly better than Yogi with RHP and ROB even though Cal is a righty 🤷 since I plan on staying in the lower levels and WOH sucks, I chose them because of position and I simply wanted them. I won't level a C or SS for a long, long time.
    That's why I'm strongly considering Bench. Really good catchers are hard to come by early on and up until legends drop. Outfielders are a dime a dozen all through the life of the year. I like Jones a switch hitting third baseman with 2x RoB those skills should rake over all modes.
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    That's why I'm strongly considering Bench. Really good catchers are hard to come by early on and up until legends drop. Outfielders are a dime a dozen all through the life of the year. I like Jones a switch hitting third baseman with 2x RoB those skills should rake over all modes.
    Yeah, I think it all depends on 1. What you want, and 2. How you plan on playing. If you don't plan on playing a whole lot or hoarding a bunch of gold to chase players, then position plays a big part in it. I've always had a difficult time finding a C and SS, so those two held pretty high value in my eyes. 
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71