Keepers for 21 help

Comments

• RodFarvaRodFarva Registered Users, Member 121 Posts
    If anyone has any thoughts or criticisms, I would certainly appreciate it.
    Pulling Morgan or Davey Johnson this weekend could change things, but I'm assuming that won't happen, since I've spent all of my gold.

Near locks:
    • Verlander (my only 610 SP)
    • Bench
    • Chipper
    On the short list for the final spot:
    • Gagne (my only 610 RP)
    • Hornsby (righty 2B, 2x HH)
    • Williams (lefty OF, HH & vRHP)
    Thought about it, but decided probably not:
    • Aaron - same as Hornsby, but at a less premium position
    • Carter - bench edged him out
    Very glad we didn't end up at 625 - I would have had zero max pitchers.
  • fatDaddyfatDaddy Registered Users, Member 318 Posts
    @RodFarva you need a LHB even with Chipper there. Williams for me
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    Thekid84 said:
    YardGoats said:
    Could been similar to George Brett and only available on Sunday
    oh man, please dont do that again
    I missed Brett previously - what happened?
    It just wasnt received super well when a player was released sunday because some people had spent all their gold already
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    Looks like Davey was removed from collections 
  • TheFullMonteTheFullMonte Registered Users, Member 1,589 Posts
    Looks like Davey was removed from collections 
    Welllllll...shit...
  • TakeMeOutToTheBallTakeMeOutToTheBall Registered Users, Member 171 Posts
    Davey is still in collections. I would reserve some gold for Sunday.
  • jalapenocubbiesjalapenocubbies Registered Users, Member 1,057 Posts
    RodFarva said:
    If anyone has any thoughts or criticisms, I would certainly appreciate it.
    Pulling Morgan or Davey Johnson this weekend could change things, but I'm assuming that won't happen, since I've spent all of my gold.

Near locks:
    • Verlander (my only 610 SP)
    • Bench
    • Chipper
    On the short list for the final spot:
    • Gagne (my only 610 RP)
    • Hornsby (righty 2B, 2x HH)
    • Williams (lefty OF, HH & vRHP)
    Thought about it, but decided probably not:
    • Aaron - same as Hornsby, but at a less premium position
    • Carter - bench edged him out
    Very glad we didn't end up at 625 - I would have had zero max pitchers.
    I don’t know your style of play which Impacts it. If you plan to go diamond quickly I’d bring Gagne. But I also agree a lefty bat is important so Williams should be a keeper.  I would not keep Hornsby other than being a premium position HH skill isn’t great IMO early in the season as is, let alone double HH. I’d probably lean Williams with your 3 you already picked. 
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    I’ve been told that he won’t be made available. 
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • YardGoatsYardGoats Registered Users, Member 382 Posts
    DFBB said:
    This weekend or at all (like he won’t be in Monday’s boxes either)?
    YardGoats said:
    DFBB said:
    From my understanding, he won’t be available. Personally, it’s for the best. It wouldn’t have been pretty if he was out there and I didn’t get him. 😂 595 Brett it is!
  • jalapenocubbiesjalapenocubbies Registered Users, Member 1,057 Posts
    YardGoats said:
    DFBB said:
    There won’t be Monday boxes, atleast I doubt it. Just a total guess but I think they may have had players ready for Monday in case 21 wasn’t ready. I’d take this as 21 is full go Monday. Happened last year too with an NL central box that had Double HH Banks. I would anticipate the final setup for Monday woh being the last change in 20.  
  • pueblodevils68pueblodevils68 Registered Users, Member 19 Posts
    No atg only boxes for gold???  I thought we had those last year. 
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    I would expect those on Monday or whenever they end the run of bonus players. 
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • 2003cobra2003cobra Registered Users, Member 2,720 Posts
    I should have saved my gold for those boxes but of course I didn’t take my own advice 
  • TakeMeOutToTheBallTakeMeOutToTheBall Registered Users, Member 171 Posts
    DFBB said:
    Only available in Canada 🤣 
  • sullipa8sullipa8 Registered Users, Member 564 Posts
    I got Snow earlier in the week and upgraded him since I needed a good lefty. I just pulled Olerud. Is there a difference in the two? Or will they be the same at D10?
  • fatDaddyfatDaddy Registered Users, Member 318 Posts
    edited March 2021
    They are close enough that it won't matter. i'm considering Olerud just for pennants of Jays over Giants. 
  • mpimen007mpimen007 Registered Users, Member 24 Posts
    @mythicaldragon - the magic of the 1st pitch skill is that it doesn't do what its name suggests it "should".  When playing either WOH or simming games, the outcomes are determined based upon active skills as of the beginning of the AB - outcomes are NOT re-calculated after each pitch.  So in the case of WOH, it is ALWAYS active.  Making this more confusing is that if you don't swing at the first pitch in WOH, the lights will go off, suggesting that the skill is no longer active.  This is misleading, because your actual results are unaffected by the lights going off.  Tons of players have tested this and arrived at the same conclusion - 1st pitch is best skill in the game for WOH (same as late innings skill).  When simming games the same logic applies, 1st pitch is ALWAYS on and you'll find that the stats put up by guys with 1st pitch will prove that out.  So in conclusion, for some bizarre reason (coding error?) its the best skill in the game for WOH and simming games, its just not active for CVC.  So for these reasons a 595 George Brett runs circles around a 610 Chipper Jones.   

These ideas have all been plagiarized from @DFBB and re-summarized - so please clarify if you feel differently.      
  • mpimen007mpimen007 Registered Users, Member 24 Posts
    mpimen007 said:  but what happens if GLU fixes the "coding error" in a new update for 21?  Then it turns FP into a useless skill again
    @mythicaldragon - the magic of the 1st pitch skill is that it doesn't do what its name suggests it "should".  When playing either WOH or simming games, the outcomes are determined based upon active skills as of the beginning of the AB - outcomes are NOT re-calculated after each pitch.  So in the case of WOH, it is ALWAYS active.  Making this more confusing is that if you don't swing at the first pitch in WOH, the lights will go off, suggesting that the skill is no longer active.  This is misleading, because your actual results are unaffected by the lights going off.  Tons of players have tested this and arrived at the same conclusion - 1st pitch is best skill in the game for WOH (same as late innings skill).  When simming games the same logic applies, 1st pitch is ALWAYS on and you'll find that the stats put up by guys with 1st pitch will prove that out.  So in conclusion, for some bizarre reason (coding error?) its the best skill in the game for WOH and simming games, its just not active for CVC.  So for these reasons a 595 George Brett runs circles around a 610 Chipper Jones.   

These ideas have all been plagiarized from @DFBB and re-summarized - so please clarify if you feel differently.      

• SandlotGuruSandlotGuru Registered Users, Member 285 Posts
    @mpimen007 - I believe 1st pitch was released as a skill toward the later part of '19 and has functioned the same throughout all of '20 and into the '21 beta.  Glu is aware of its popularity, so either the coding was wonky and they've chalked it up as a happy accident, or they are just uninterested in changing it.  If people choose keepers with 1st pitch and then Glu changes how the skill behaves in '21 after a year and a half....#skillsgate21
  • samthemansamtheman Registered Users, Member 686 Posts
    They have regular legends and primes and both forms of xp mixed in but nice boxes and I hope they do them again.
    DFBB said:
    YardGoats said:
    DFBB said:
    From my understanding, he won’t be available. Personally, it’s for the best. It wouldn’t have been pretty if he was out there and I didn’t get him. 😂 595 Brett it is!
    Well, he has a picture now. I guess he's coming after all. lol
  • SandlotGuruSandlotGuru Registered Users, Member 285 Posts
    So pumped about Davey!  An Oriole with the NL Honors logo...priceless.  
  • YardGoatsYardGoats Registered Users, Member 382 Posts
    So pumped about Davey!  An Oriole with the NL Honors logo...priceless.  
    Maybe Oriole picture but on the Braves???
  • xracmanxracman Registered Users, Member 666 Posts
    2003cobra said:
    I should have saved my gold for those boxes but of course I didn’t take my own advice 
    I NEED those Monday ATG boxes.  Somehow I still don’t have a 610 pitcher to take to 21 for my VIP team.  Berst I can do is 595 Abbott.  My F2P team pulled 5 pitchers 595 and above...  Blew a boatload of gold chasimg them too.
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    xracman said:
    I NEED those Monday ATG boxes.  
    It's a trap! 
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • 2003cobra2003cobra Registered Users, Member 2,720 Posts
    I heard the poo holes likes traps 
  • More2Most2FirstMore2Most2First Registered Users, Member 777 Posts
    edited March 2021
    I know I’m taking Morgan and Chipper for sure...now I’m deciding between Bench, Berra, or Olerud for the final spot.  Any opinions would be welcomed.  I’m leaning Bench, but I feel it’s not a clean-cut decision.
  • tshea510tshea510 Registered Users, Member 1,786 Posts
    Position scarcity/needs. But I’m probably going to ignore my own advice so......🤷‍♂️
    Just a Silver team from the wrong side of the tracks, so what do I know? 🤷
  • baseball2020baseball2020 Registered Users, Member 511 Posts
    Unless I can pull Chipper, (who would replace Cal), these are the keepers I’m taking. 😎