Cooldown?

2Next

Comments

• jalapenocubbiesjalapenocubbies Registered Users, Member 1,057 Posts
    Cooz19 said:
    Not sure why the council thing is brought up as often as it is. Does the platinum donors club at the University of Alabama report back to the big fan web site to go over the game strategies they wanted incorporated? No, they probably had a weekend of booze and swag, got to talk to the AD, maybe the head coach, who gave them the time and attention their extraordinary donations merited. Then they went home, and the program went back about the business of winning football games (i.e. making money). No one yells about the donors' failure to convince the coach to stop punting on fourth down so much. 
    Generally it’s brought up because when something breaks or a change is made people don’t like they bring up the VIP Council. Also, I don’t think Glu helped by sending out messages that started with “the council has spoken” etc. basically like @DFBB said people just look for people to blame.  I mostly blame myself for being addicted to the game, but also, held on too long looking for changes that clearly aren’t happening. 
  • Cooz19Cooz19 Registered Users 1,256 Posts
    Generally it’s brought up because when something breaks or a change is made people don’t like they bring up the VIP Council.
    That was my point (with exaggeration for effect and humor). 
    Also, I don’t think Glu helped by sending out messages that started with “the council has spoken” etc. 
    Their way of sending complaints down a bottomless pit of IDGAF. Well-played, Glu, you sonsabiches...I shall continue to blame @DFBB

• JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    I like that analogy, but I think many would be surprised at the things that big donors in college sports have control over.

It is correct that these things are not in-game coaching decisions, though.
    Yeah, but they have to pass the hat around to get anything major accomplished. Here, passing the hat around means people are paying the game while still complaining about it. Texas and Florida State wouldn't go through a head coach every two years if donors weren't paying their buyouts. Ultimately, it's not a perfect analogy, and was meant to be KIND OF close, but not really, but funny. Kind of. The council is a gesture given to players who spend big. Smart move on their part. Silly of anyone to put legit expectations on their largely ceremonial positions of status. 
  • JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    Yep, totally. We are on the same page. Very well put.
  • dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    "The council is a gesture given to players who spend big. Smart move on their part. Silly of anyone to put legit expectations on their largely ceremonial positions of status. "
    I don't think this part is true.

"Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
  • whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts
    It would be great if they selected @dkarski87 and me.  Just think how entertaining that would be!  Plus he might teach me how to use an auto tapper!!
    I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.  You mean the round and level? 
    - Blueleopard
    Which part? Clearly, those involved spent a lot on the game. I feel it's good PR to give those spenders something extra. I don't think a group put together under those pretenses should be seen as governing bodies of the game. 
  • CanadaCubsCanadaCubs Registered Users, Member 1,235 Posts
    whynot said:
    It would be great if they selected @dkarski87 and me.  Just think how entertaining that would be!  Plus he might teach me how to use an auto tapper!!
    You guys can settle this in a denny's parking lot.  
    "If you can't beat them, report them"
    Most of the people who got selected for that were not "big spenders" I think they were more going for a range of different views from various clubs, types of players, etc... It was def not big spenders.
    – The Great Houmy
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    We get to see how things work behind the scenes and are given direct access to the devs. It's also not a secret that they wine and dine us with meals and in-game gifts. However, to think that we can tell them how to run their business is silly. 
    I think the biggest misconception is that glu isn't aware of the numerous issues that seemingly, always has players at the proverbial fence. Whether it's here or a different platform, I can assure you that they're aware. Whether it's box odds, guarantees, WoH, etc., they're aware. They're always looking for feedback(I constantly get asked for my opinion), but at the end of the day, they have a business to run and it always has to make business sense. 

If you're not having fun, you're losing.
    whynot said:
    The NEW direction of Council selection has been determined...
  • BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    Cooz19 said:
    whynot said:
    The NEW direction of Council selection has been determined...
    PG13➡️R would be that direction 
    Well if they ask for your feedback and direction, whats the point if they don't act on it? Sounds like they are putting on a face to make it seem like they actually care, when by yours and others accounts they don't care at all. Whats the saying, putting lipstick on a pig? Why ask for feedback if you dont do anything with it?
    – The Great Houmy
    edited May 2021
    dkarski87 said:
    Sounds like they are putting on a face to make it seem like they actually care, when by yours and others accounts they don't care at all.
    (Tapping nose and pointing at @dkarski87)

For the record, I'm not aiming to insult anyone selected for the council. I'm just adding some thought in an effort to deflate the idea it's some kind of action-taking advisory board (and being a light-hearted smarta$$). There are very smart people here who are dedicated to the game. They can be valuable resources. They just aren't responsible for the business. 
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    dkarski87 said:
    Well if they ask for your feedback and direction, whats the point if they don't act on it? Sounds like they are putting on a face to make it seem like they actually care, when by yours and others accounts they don't care at all. Whats the saying, putting lipstick on a pig? Why ask for feedback if you dont do anything with it?
    The term you're looking for is 'lip service.' Anyways, feedback is important because it helps them better understand their data. For example, guys may feel strongly opposed to WoH, but their data is showing that 'x' amount of people cycled 'x' amount of time. In that example, the data may suggest all is fine and dandy. Hence, no changes are needed. Feedback to the contrary would then suggest that things could be even better if they did 'x' or 'y.' These are the things that they have to balance out. 
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
    Well addicts are still going to play one way or another, so just because the data shows that it doesn't change the perception coming from the users. Its why so many people still spend thousands of dollars even after they making negative changes and adjustments to the game for their own profits. Again, its a business so you cant really be mad at them for that, the issue has been and always will be the moral and ethical stand point. They have none...They pray on the addicts in this game with no moral compass.
    – The Great Houmy
    @Bigpredfan did I get the pig and lipstick analogy wrong? Lip service doesn't sounds correct either.
    – The Great Houmy
    edited May 2021
    You also need to factor in that not everyone playing the game weighs in the way we are here. There very well could be a silent majority who think the game is fine, and spend to their addicted mind's content. 

And "lip service" works with what you initially said. "Lipstick on a pig" also works but in a different way. 
    lol thanks Cooz.
    – The Great Houmy
    dkarski87 said:
    @Bigpredfan did I get the pig and lipstick analogy wrong? Lip service doesn't sounds correct either.
    Lipstick on a pig- trying to make something ugly beautiful through cosmetic changes. TSB analogy- foil players being bonuses for the week, but making it where multiple sets are needed to compete, not bonus players. 

Lip service- service by words only, not backed up by deeds. TSB analogy- pity timer on boxes not giving you the best player in the box. 
  • CanadaCubsCanadaCubs Registered Users, Member 1,235 Posts
    Thought it was lips on a hog
    "If you can't beat them, report them"
    Thought it was lips on a hog
    That sounds more Irish to me