Payoff Pitch

xracmanxracman Registered Users, Member 666 Posts
Practice mode, the cursor was ultra fast, bordering on impossible to aim.  Actual game mode, cursor is awesdome.  The game is actually fun!

Question.  Will the Defensive upgrades matter more now?
Prev13

Comments

• fatDaddyfatDaddy Registered Users, Member 318 Posts
    I had an OF drop a catch. upgrade is maxed at Silver. 

• DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    I’m not sure how well it will age, but it was pretty fun. At diamond, it’s probably too easy(most bats were silver and gold). I don’t think I lost a single sim. Looking forward to the upcoming tweaks. Again, just from a diamond perspective, but the current difficulty allows for a nice and smooth learning curve. Def love the change of pace!
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • buddydavebuddydave Registered Users, Member 317 Posts
    Very disappointed that each level is 10 rounds, especially considering how we only have 10 pitchers to work with. I was hoping for 8 rounds per level or less. Five levels of 10 rounds will get extremely tedious. The pitching mechanic is just not as fun as hitting.

It would also be nice if we could “shake off the sign” and change the pitch type a few times per round. That would help add a little strategy to the game.
    buddydave said:

It would also be nice if we could “shake off the sign” and change the pitch type a few times per round. That would help add a little strategy to the game.
    Glad I wasn’t the only one that was hoping for a fastball every time. Lol
  • 2003cobra2003cobra Registered Users, Member 2,720 Posts
    Having the different pitches is where skill and strategy come into play even more. I didn’t have a loss in the first 4 levels but it ended without me noticing a timer-I should have known that it was an hour. Hopefully it will save progress but I’m not counting on it. Gagne had a moving fastball that puts a question mark in the box which makes it impossible to predict. 
  • DirectFXDirectFX Registered Users 110 Posts
    Why was it 5 full levels if only one hour pop up ? Isn’t the WoH pop up for hour only 3 levels to adjust for only having an hour ? I thought be longer so was slow playing it between event & cvc same time.. 

Wonder if ratings & skills of pitchers and pitching upgrades along with level decide how fast the pitching bar moves ? 

Will outfield & infield team upgrades not come into effect as I had great pitches were line outs, pop outs so ball in play also wonder if errors on grounders when they throw to a base ? Even if we got pitcher maxed seems fielders might still screw you over I could see if not upgraded ..🤦‍♂️ 

Gonna need stacks of cash to upgrade them also takes long enough just doing hitting & pitching upgrades plus losing cash on tournaments trying get more bgs and so many round restarts as if opponent above me my max 185 not gonna beat 230 pitcher if every retry they keep 230 and mine all 184 .. 
    DFBB said:
    buddydave said:

Glad I wasn’t the only one that was hoping for a fastball every time. Lol
    Not mad about that as I’m guessing it’s part of difficulty and also guessing based on your pitcher ratings so part of strategy ?? Keep best pitchers with fastballs first listed pitch to be closer ? Unless it’s totally random by cpu and fastballs come up less even if your pitcher #1 pitch is 4 seam fastball then could have problems...

Wonder if the R v L matchup is as important as it is in WOH ? Besides skills activating no idea if hitter gets boost if L v R built in like WoH ? 
  • baseball2020baseball2020 Registered Users, Member 511 Posts
    Meh, I thought it was great for resources but I got through Level 4 and I was ready to be done. Each round takes too long as you have to make three outs opposed to just one hit a lot of the times when playing walk off. The fact I’m trying to conserve my cash, I didn’t auto play as much. I probably would only cycle if there were a guaranteed player that would help my team. Nice to have something new but it got stale quickly.
  • JTANDMEJTANDME Registered Users, Member 767 Posts
    That moving fastball was a beeep! First time it popped for me was naturally bases loaded tie game, after an error in the of). Needless to say that was a loss. 

Overall, really enjoyed the new mode. Can't wait to see how they screw it up. 
    One thing that we consistently get frustrated about in woh is when the runner on third gets thrown out at home when there’s a ground ball and he shouldn’t even run. At least it’s works in our favor in this mode. I’m really not looking at matchups just stuff ratings 
    buddydave said:
    Very disappointed that each level is 10 rounds, especially considering how we only have 10 pitchers to work with. I was hoping for 8 rounds per level or less. Five levels of 10 rounds will get extremely tedious. The pitching mechanic is just not as fun as hitting.

Based on practice mode didn’t think I would like it much but I did like it so far but only got middle level 2 didn’t realize was only 1 hour plus saving cash . Might be different story if like WoH when u hit that wall and cursor 5x faster on 5.10 

I didn’t mind playing the rounds manually trying to get used to it just too short of time 1 hour to get used to new mode. The 5 levels pretty rough in hour if rewards are cycling up to 5 times 

I was also hoping it would only be your SP not the whole bullpen as most of the game bullpen not worth upgrading if SP go full 9 innings. No Mylegend or 3 bench slots 4 less choices vs WoH plus can’t switch any SP with RP like DH or bench stuck with 5 rp no matter how many great SP you got . Maybe they will tweak like WoH has been many times. 
  • BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    Meh, I thought it was great for resources but I got through Level 4 and I was ready to be done. Each round takes too long as you have to make three outs opposed to just one hit a lot of the times when playing walk off. The fact I’m trying to conserve my cash, I didn’t auto play as much. I probably would only cycle if there were a guaranteed player that would help my team. Nice to have something new but it got stale quickly.
    I was coming to make the same comment. Start the earlier rounds with 2 outs, just like you start some WOH with runners on base. 
  • jmsorioles33jmsorioles33 Registered Users, Member 392 Posts
    I really enjoyed it, both the strategy of where to aim and the fact that it has some skill. My biggest critique would just be that it needs to be shortened a bit, maybe 3 (for pop up) or 4 (for regular) levels total. 

This definitely holds us accountable to investing in pitching though, depth matters now. My 2 man bullpen isn't going to cut it in Payoff Pitch unfortunately. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it and intrigued to play it more. 
  • JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    Yeah I haven't upgraded a pitcher skill in the 3 1/2 years I've played TSB. I like the new mode, but I'm not excited at the prospect of now needing to 20/20 some pitchers to get through this thing once it becomes part of the regular event schedule.
    It’s definitely too time consuming for an hour window. I was able to gain cash even with auto playing rounds 1-7 on the 4 levels that I finished. It wasn’t much but at least it was a gain
  • whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts
    Would love for it to be relevant like WOH was in the beginning.  So many of us planned our day around it. Now it is only slightly more relevant then derby.
    I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.  You mean the round and level? 
    - Blueleopard
    something this does give me hope for us the ability to cycle cap pitchers. I remember back in, 2019 I think, having Jake Arrieta as a Royale WOH level 5 reward.  This was when we were still BXP players and everyone in my club went crazy with the ability to cycle cap a player that for a lot of us was our new ace. 
    something this does give me hope for us the ability to cycle cap pitchers. I remember back in, 2019 I think, having Jake Arrieta as a Royale WOH level 5 reward.  This was when we were still BXP players and everyone in my club went crazy with the ability to cycle cap a player that for a lot of us was our new ace. 
    Degrom tmrw!
  • CanadaCubsCanadaCubs Registered Users, Member 1,235 Posts
    @dfbb, I saw that too. Wasn't sure if it was a place holder. 🤞
    "If you can't beat them, report them"
  • dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    I traded that Degrom in a while ago, hes not that good. I think he was a 285max
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
    They ramped it up the second hour 
  • sullipa8sullipa8 Registered Users, Member 564 Posts
    It’s definitely too long. At least in WOH, you can end it with one swing. That is not an option here. It’s just too much to do in a short time. I’m hoping they adjust this.
  • tshea510tshea510 Registered Users, Member 1,786 Posts
    I REALLY LIKE THIS NEW ADDITION! But of course that could change anytime now, depending on Glu. I never really messed with it, but got notification this was “live”, practiced, confused, but got 2 levels in kinda learning as I went. Wanted more but ran out of time. Hey @DFBB, I see more charts in your future 😎
    Just a Silver team from the wrong side of the tracks, so what do I know? 🤷
  • CanadaCubsCanadaCubs Registered Users, Member 1,235 Posts
    sullipa8 said:
    It’s definitely too long. At least in WOH, you can end it with one swing. That is not an option here. It’s just too much to do in a short time. I’m hoping they adjust this.
    The elusive triple play would be the equivalent. Fishful thinking 🐟
    "If you can't beat them, report them"
  • mythicaldragonmythicaldragon Registered Users, Member 2,418 Posts
    sullipa8 said:
    Agree to long maybe they can reduce time by requiring only one out to end the inning in lower rounds? however I really like the concept had fun playing it today. Glu 👍🏻
  • jalapenocubbiesjalapenocubbies Registered Users, Member 1,057 Posts
    DFBB said:
    Degrom tmrw!
    That degrom was a placeholder earlier before they made it the degrom boxes. Not saying that won’t stay but I’d expect a change. 
    sullipa8 said:
    The elusive triple play would be the equivalent. Fishful thinking 🐟
    That’s funny because I’ve never seen one in this game except in WOH. Maybe you can hit into them in manual play, but I don’t think manual play is as jacked up towards the pitcher as WOH. Also, I didn’t play much yesterday, maybe 50 rounds, but I don’t even remember a double play. 
    So they have the pitch mode active for Royale but no bonus players? I’m not sure that makes any sense, but it’s Glu so I guess I shouldn’t try to make sense of the nonsensical. 
    sullipa8 said:
    So they have the pitch mode active for Royale but no bonus players? I’m not sure that makes any sense, but it’s Glu so I guess I shouldn’t try to make sense of the nonsensical. 
    Might not know how to have bonuses for that event yet. Round win is all I can think of. 

Maybe start all opponents at 0 runs and have a bonus for a shutout?
  • buddydavebuddydave Registered Users, Member 317 Posts
    sullipa8 said:
    Might not know how to have bonuses for that event yet. Round win is all I can think of. 

Maybe start all opponents at 0 runs and have a bonus for a shutout?
    They had bonuses for Payoff Pitch during yesterday’s “mystery” event. I had one of the bonus pitchers who gave me bonus points for Ks.