WOH Weekend Royale

13Next

Comments

• BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    DFBB said:
    DFBB said:
    sullipa8 said:
    Cooz19 said:
    Big picture problem is the WOH award isn’t worth the time or the 80g you spent to try and win him. 
    This is painfully true. I think we have a collection of people who still strive to complete the cycle out of bitter nostalgia. I just look at it like 15 minutes of work. I'll grab the player and slow play the event. No way in hell am I playing woh over and over. Waste of time and effort. Were pretty much at the 2 year mark when that 10/10 unicorn chick left our lives. She ain't coming back fellas...
    In all fairness, I hadn't beaten level 3 before this weekend. I just wanted to beat it. I spent like 200 gold total. The player reward isn't even worth a video replay, let alone 200 gold. In the end, it's a game. Banging out BGs ain't all that much fun either. I can measure the growth of my team (to some degree) by my performance in WOH. That's my enjoyment here. That may not be for everyone, but I'm also not spending thousands of dollars on it. Obviously, our end games are different. 
    Yeah people play the game different, and I can respect that. The issue is obviously that the one event everyone could come together for was woh. On a Monday you could compete by just simply playing woh. You get the woh award and you play all day. Decreasing the woh play to a 3rd/4th tier player just sucks. You are right, endlessly playing BG has been a real drag as well especially the newly added feature which significantly slows it down.  
    What I don’t understand is that now with them offering a foil bxp player that is also bonus all week, what is the harm in having a top tier player as the WOH reward? You still can only use him for 2 days max as a bonus players. So most players would move on from them after a couple of days and buy the new players for the sets and bonus points. It would definitely reinvigorate the event if they made the player useful. I’m pretty sure the reason is what is mentioned above, which is they don’t want people getting any good players without spending. But at the same time, the game kind of moved away from team building and is just about buying boxes for sets and points.
    It's actually quite easy to get a good team(ideally, you have access to a plat+ club for cvc); crushing club points, however, is another story. The latter can be very, very expensive and/or time consuming. Team building was a huge component of the game in '18 and '19. Now, it's just about club points. 

I do agree with your take on the WoH players. The event definitely needs an overhaul. Honestly, 'hall of fame' aka, 'DTI(don't try it),' is just a shell of it's former self. That thing used to give me goose bumps. Down six, Thor on the mound....amazing player IF you somehow won(hello prime votto, legend scioscia, etc.) and were able to cycle enough to level them....Now, I just get sleepy. lol
    The excitement of who was going to be the woh award was awesome. I remember for a good stretch in 18 too, the Monday woh award was a top player from the weekend(GASP! A recycled player!)and an atg box and XP. 

Oh and delays? Screw that. We ain't waiting to play!
    Monday for me used to be to me what Pretzel day was to Stanley Hudson 
  • jalapenocubbiesjalapenocubbies Registered Users, Member 1,057 Posts
    DFBB said:
    DFBB said:
    sullipa8 said:
    Cooz19 said:
    Big picture problem is the WOH award isn’t worth the time or the 80g you spent to try and win him. 
    This is painfully true. I think we have a collection of people who still strive to complete the cycle out of bitter nostalgia. I just look at it like 15 minutes of work. I'll grab the player and slow play the event. No way in hell am I playing woh over and over. Waste of time and effort. Were pretty much at the 2 year mark when that 10/10 unicorn chick left our lives. She ain't coming back fellas...
    In all fairness, I hadn't beaten level 3 before this weekend. I just wanted to beat it. I spent like 200 gold total. The player reward isn't even worth a video replay, let alone 200 gold. In the end, it's a game. Banging out BGs ain't all that much fun either. I can measure the growth of my team (to some degree) by my performance in WOH. That's my enjoyment here. That may not be for everyone, but I'm also not spending thousands of dollars on it. Obviously, our end games are different. 
    Yeah people play the game different, and I can respect that. The issue is obviously that the one event everyone could come together for was woh. On a Monday you could compete by just simply playing woh. You get the woh award and you play all day. Decreasing the woh play to a 3rd/4th tier player just sucks. You are right, endlessly playing BG has been a real drag as well especially the newly added feature which significantly slows it down.  
    What I don’t understand is that now with them offering a foil bxp player that is also bonus all week, what is the harm in having a top tier player as the WOH reward? You still can only use him for 2 days max as a bonus players. So most players would move on from them after a couple of days and buy the new players for the sets and bonus points. It would definitely reinvigorate the event if they made the player useful. I’m pretty sure the reason is what is mentioned above, which is they don’t want people getting any good players without spending. But at the same time, the game kind of moved away from team building and is just about buying boxes for sets and points.
    It's actually quite easy to get a good team(ideally, you have access to a plat+ club for cvc); crushing club points, however, is another story. The latter can be very, very expensive and/or time consuming. Team building was a huge component of the game in '18 and '19. Now, it's just about club points. 

I do agree with your take on the WoH players. The event definitely needs an overhaul. Honestly, 'hall of fame' aka, 'DTI(don't try it),' is just a shell of it's former self. That thing used to give me goose bumps. Down six, Thor on the mound....amazing player IF you somehow won(hello prime votto, legend scioscia, etc.) and were able to cycle enough to level them....Now, I just get sleepy. lol
    The excitement of who was going to be the woh award was awesome. I remember for a good stretch in 18 too, the Monday woh award was a top player from the weekend(GASP! A recycled player!)and an atg box and XP. 

Man, I used to love writing those WoH threads. I'll never forget you, Holiday Ted! Before 'that' guy, I'd always remind guys to 'dream of Posey(lol)' the night before WoH....Remember when catchers were insanely tough and Posey, you get it...lol. Loved the community vibe regarding the WoH rewards. It was always a running joke, but we had so many guys in the club who would constantly refresh/restart the app just to see who the WoH guy would be. Then, the race to see who the new pitchers would be. Once upon a time, they changed every 2-3 weeks. Oh and delays? Screw that. We ain't waiting to play!
    Back when content used to be at the forefront. Just excitement across the board from everyone. Now unfortunately the focus since has been further ways to monetize it. Which I get. They are a company that’s what they are supposed to. Unfortunately it just prices people out and takes away from the enjoyment of the game. 
  • JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    OMG I'm getting nostalgic now... must.fight.back.tears. LOL
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    DFBB said:
    DFBB said:
    sullipa8 said:
    Cooz19 said:

I actually didn't know who Stanley was until after I googled. Man, that episode is awesome! thank you!
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
    DFBB said:
    DFBB said:
    sullipa8 said:
    Cooz19 said:

Now it’s like what expense reports are to Michael Scott.
  • jmsorioles33jmsorioles33 Registered Users, Member 392 Posts
    jalapenocubbies Now it’s like what expense reports are to Michael Scott.
    Venturing dangerously close to Toby territory 
  • Cooz19Cooz19 Registered Users 1,256 Posts
    Back when content used to be at the forefront. Just excitement across the board from everyone. Now unfortunately the focus since has been further ways to monetize it. Which I get. They are a company that’s what they are supposed to. Unfortunately it just prices people out and takes away from the enjoyment of the game. 
    I get annoyed by customers who tell companies what their business should be purely from the customer perspective (but I'd love a chance to spend other people's money for my enjoyment), but I can't help but wonder...were you not making any money when the game was that involved? 
    @Cooz19 can you clarify what you mean? Did I make money as in did I have a job? Yes I am employed. 

In regards to to telling companies what there business is, I’m confused. Are we saying their job isn’t to be as profitable as possible?
  • BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    DFBB said:
    DFBB said:
    DFBB said:
    sullipa8 said:
    Cooz19 said:

I actually didn't know who Stanley was until after I googled. Man, that episode is awesome! thank you!
    Every morning I wake up and open tournament boxes for which I get too little bonus games, play prime event games on Tuesday for which I get too little rewards, then play the next day a derby tower for which the tower is too difficult for the reward,  

but on WOH day, well I like WOH day.

but not anymore. I’m doing one cycle and then back to tournaments and bonus games for me now 
  • 2020KC2020KC Registered Users, Member 711 Posts
    Woh is still a game mode? I thought it was all just bonus games now? 🤷🏻‍♂️🥱 
    You can play Royale WOH. It doesn’t help your club much and it doesn’t really help your team too much either. 
    Yeah I know I’m just being stupid buddy lol trying to point out the insignificance of woh now days. Pretty sad when ur current favorite game mode of Tsb is watching videos for gold 😂
    That event needs a day of its own
    every multi event non royale for me it is!
    you can't spell deteriorate without detroit
    @jalapenocubbies I was referring to the game, not you. Glad you're employed though. 

My point was we're waxing nostalgic about 2-3 years ago when everyone was Stanley on Pretzel Day before WOH Mondays. I'm just asking rhetorically if Glu wasn't making enough money when it was providing this level of an experience. They changed all of it up, and it's pretty much gone now. I'm not one to tell a business how to run their shop, I just think that business had something good going, and it's gone now. I wonder (again, rhetorically) if they didn't make any money doing things that way, or if it wasn't enough.  
    Cooz19 said:
    @jalapenocubbies I was referring to the game, not you. Glad you're employed though. 

My point was we're waxing nostalgic about 2-3 years ago when everyone was Stanley on Pretzel Day before WOH Mondays. I'm just asking rhetorically if Glu wasn't making enough money when it was providing this level of an experience. They changed all of it up, and it's pretty much gone now. I'm not one to tell a business how to run their shop, I just think that business had something good going, and it's gone now. I wonder (again, rhetorically) if they didn't make any money doing things that way, or if it wasn't enough.  
    For businesses it’s never enough. We should all know this. When you see profits, and board says we want more they do it. I’ve never seen a company survive saying “we’re content with what we have”.
    For businesses it’s never enough. We should all know this. When you see profits, and board says we want more they do it. I’ve never seen a company survive saying “we’re content with what we have”.
    I wouldn't go that far, but that's a pretty open-ended statement. There are companies that want their product to last (which really isn't a viable in the digital space, I get it). Not trying to argue business sense, I'm just saying 5 years of 10 percent profit is better than two years of 20 percent profit. That door is probably closed now though. 
    Cooz19 said:
    I wouldn't go that far, but that's a pretty open-ended statement. There are companies that want their product to last (which really isn't a viable in the digital space, I get it). Not trying to argue business sense, I'm just saying 5 years of 10 percent profit is better than two years of 20 percent profit. That door is probably closed now though. 
    You adjust when the growing stops though. They have continued to grow. Adding more and more users every day. People(who can and some
    who can’t) are dropping endless money, as you can see with the orange, blue, green whatever colored vips we see. So get your 2-3 years of 20% profits, then when they drop to 10% you adjust, and you’re still ahead. Asking them to adjust something that has been working for 3+ years now  , they will keep findings ways to grab another buck. 
    FYI I wasn't asking them to do anything, nor does the sense of any of this escape me. I get it. I don't know anything about how they're doing financially anyway. My numbers were simplified for the example.
  • whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts
    Personally I would like to thank glu for their business model.  By removing any incentive to play I have been able to reduce my screen time hugely and reduce my spending to under $20 this year.  

Thanks Glu!  You helped me achieve something I failed to do on my own for the last few years!
    I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.  You mean the round and level? 
    - Blueleopard
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    Cooz19 said:
    You adjust when the growing stops though. They have continued to grow. Adding more and more users every day. People(who can and some
    who can’t) are dropping endless money, as you can see with the orange, blue, green whatever colored vips we see. So get your 2-3 years of 20% profits, then when they drop to 10% you adjust, and you’re still ahead. Asking them to adjust something that has been working for 3+ years now  , they will keep findings ways to grab another buck. 
    This is why I LOL when people mock glu for being stupid, etc. Maybe 'stupid' in the sense that it goes against their idea of fun, but they've grown considerably over the years. Their current numbers absolutely dwarf what they had in the 'glory' years of '18 and prior. I will also add that with a publicly traded company, sometimes 2+2 doesn't equal 4. For example, It's actually more profitable to increase YOY sales by 20% in each of the first two years rather than a steady 10% growth over 5 years. And we already know that EA has agreed to buy out glu mobile(it's official) so yeah....I'd say things are going well for them. 

If you're not having fun, you're losing.
    DFBB said:
    This is why I LOL when people mock glu for being stupid, etc. Maybe 'stupid' in the sense that it goes against their idea of fun, but they've grown considerably over the years. Their current numbers absolutely dwarf what they had in the 'glory' years of '18 and prior. I will also add that with a publicly traded company, sometimes 2+2 doesn't equal 4. For example, It's actually more profitable to increase YOY sales by 20% in each of the first two years rather than a steady 10% growth over 5 years. And we already know that EA has agreed to buy out glu mobile(it's official) so yeah....I'd say things are going well for them. 

And this is why I said in the beginning I don't like customers who tell businesses how to run things based on a customer's perspective. Arguing this is a for-profit business is pointless. Obviously, it is. If you want to complain, complain about the fact your spending, or lack thereof, do not influence their business. Not sure what that'll get you...except a whole lot of silver woh losses 😂
  • dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    I dont think anyone can argue the fact they are trying to increase/generate sales as much as possible. The issues with this company stem much deeper then that. They cant even go 1-2 days without having some sort of app issues or blatant mistakes within the game. So yea sure, they are making great money but if someone actually played the game to see how bad their delivery is, its laughable. But like you said, the bottom line is money. Doesn't matter how stupid you might look doing it as long as you keep earning a profit. 
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    sullipa8 said:
    Cooz19 said:
    Yea imo there is meat being left on the bone there in terms of catering to more people.  Regardless of what the woh reward is, people will still buy boxes and compete for points.   That wont change.   The reality is WOH is what drew alot of people to this game originally and it's the only mode certain people care about no matter how watered down it has become.   So it just seems like it would make sense to make that mode all it can be.   In years past being diamond it was a nice tool for resources but being just a gold team this year there really is no need for me to play it at all.   
    DFBB said:
    DFBB said:
    DFBB said:
    sullipa8 said:
    Cooz19 said:

Every morning I wake up and open tournament boxes for which I get too little bonus games, play prime event games on Tuesday for which I get too little rewards, then play the next day a derby tower for which the tower is too difficult for the reward,  

but on WOH day, well I like WOH day.

but not anymore. I’m doing one cycle and then back to tournaments and bonus games for me now 
    amazing
    whynot said:
    Personally I would like to thank glu for their business model.  By removing any incentive to play I have been able to reduce my screen time hugely and reduce my spending to under $20 this year.  

Thanks Glu!  You helped me achieve something I failed to do on my own for the last few years!
    i actually am right here as well but a little over $20 because i did get FP once 
  • snowy24snowy24 Registered Users, Member 304 Posts
    DFBB said:
    sullipa8 said:
    Cooz19 said:

Same. I actually fell asleep last night mid swing. 😂