Pxp and primes....

Comments

• CanadaCubsCanadaCubs Registered Users, Member 1,235 Posts
    JEDDDOGGY said:
    Just to follow up on that last post I made, not to keep beating a dead horse, but really -

Wouldn't their sales skyrocket if they had like 4k pxp in the box instead of 150 pxp? And then double the drop rates? Then, its doable.

But with the current setup, people aren't even going to try. Instead of buying field pass and specials and buying up boxes, people are just putting their phones away. Many, many players will just give up / quit and delete the app. They're not even dangling a carrot here. It's so far out of everyone's reach, there's no draw to even make an attempt at the prime players.

This makes zero sense from a business perspective. Or, I know nothing about business perspective.
    This is the reason I have gone on hiatus until legends drop for the last 3 seasons. Your comments are dead accurate. I've never understood their model. 
    "If you can't beat them, report them"
  • jalapenocubbiesjalapenocubbies Registered Users, Member 1,057 Posts
    JEDDDOGGY said:
    Just to follow up on that last post I made, not to keep beating a dead horse, but really -

Wouldn't their sales skyrocket if they had like 4k pxp in the box instead of 150 pxp? And then double the drop rates? Then, its doable.

But with the current setup, people aren't even going to try. Instead of buying field pass and specials and buying up boxes, people are just putting their phones away. Many, many players will just give up / quit and delete the app. They're not even dangling a carrot here. It's so far out of everyone's reach, there's no draw to even make an attempt at the prime players.

This makes zero sense from a business perspective. Or, I know nothing about business perspective.
    During the week and this weekend is the first time since it was Introduced since TSB19 I didn’t buy Field Pass, I always buy atleast the medium and small. In fact I haven’t spent since FP last Friday. I know it’s not that great but a week of me not spending is an accomplishment. Between FP, subs, and various other specials I’ve saved probably $200+ the last week. As you said, there’s no incentive to play/spend. That first sent is a joke with how lucky you have to be not only pulling the box players but then taking 45k for a bxp player. The game has just passed me by. Which sucks because I honestly love playing the game but between the bonus player odds, bonus player sets and the new mini game locking me out despite the trick question. Why give them anything else? On top of the small dumb things like not making potm an actual bonus, it’s all just become too much. 
  • BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    If I pull a prime this weekend then I will be ecstatic

to trade him in for 2,000 PXP Monday morning 
    And @JEDDDOGGY it does make sense from the business side because they will get the guys who can afford to chase to keep chasing. Despite what they say about retention and every player matters, that’s just not the case. The rainbow VIPs is who they want to keep spending and playing. They will sacrifice us poor red vips no problem.
    And @JEDDDOGGY it does make sense from the business side because they will get the guys who can afford to chase to keep chasing. Despite what they say about retention and every player matters, that’s just not the case. The rainbow VIPs is who they want to keep spending and playing. They will sacrifice us poor red vips no problem.
    That's a really small pool of players though. Say this group drops 1000$ each @ 30 players. Is that really a good decision?  The guys that land him on freebie boxes wont chase to finish a set. Like Jedd said, the carrot is too far out of range for roughly 2000 actively spending and chasing,  thus putting their phone away and giving up on the weekend 
    That's a really small pool of players though. Say this group drops 1000$ each @ 30 players. Is that really a good decision?  The guys that land him on freebie boxes wont chase to finish a set. Like Jedd said, the carrot is too far out of range for roughly 2000 actively spending and chasing,  thus putting their phone away and giving up on the weekend 
    They are betting the majority of those guys won’t actually put their phone down, which a lot won’t. But if they do, they won’t care because they have their whales and will always get new players. 
  • Cooz19Cooz19 Registered Users 1,256 Posts
    You're making my big win seem far less fun, @JEDDDOGGY @CanadaCubs. I was thinking it was just Glu's way of joining the AAPI woke train. Seems they're sending a different message making me incapable of getting him above B3 (he's 3-19 with 1 double so far 😕).
    They are betting the majority of those guys won’t actually put their phone down, which a lot won’t. But if they do, they won’t care because they have their whales and will always get new players. 
    You could very well be correct here. All I know is that I'm putting my phone down for the weekend. That's easily 500 a month between FP/subs/bundles. I'm not quitting or anything,  but that's my reality. I'm sure I'm not in the minority of the spending pool
    You could very well be correct here. All I know is that I'm putting my phone down for the weekend. That's easily 500 a month between FP/subs/bundles. I'm not quitting or anything,  but that's my reality. I'm sure I'm not in the minority of the spending pool
    Maybe I’m wrong, but I sort of let the game speak to it. All these changes and additions the last 2-3 seasons have added costs to game. Nothing done has helped the middle tier spender or below. Just made it further and further out of reach for anyone who isn’t dropping tons. Just subs and Field Pass alone, before even playing or even getting players you can drop $300 a week. That’s only sustainable for the very good spenders. 
  • JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    edited May 2021
    All I know is that I'm putting my phone down for the weekend. That's easily 500 a month between FP/subs/bundles. I'm not quitting or anything,  but that's my reality.

This is my situation.

As to whales, they do not seem sustainable either. I can think of many, many whales of years past just off of the top of my head that are no longer playing. 

Conversely, any of the super casual players making micro-purchases are not heavily invested in the game and will quit at the drop of a hat if the game becomes too expensive, too time-consuming, too frustrating, or so on.

The mid-level players seem to be the sweet spot as far as who they should focus on retaining. We aren't spending so much money we have to quit because our finances are wrecked.

If a guy spends 80k in one year, but then calls it quits after that, versus a guy who spends 20k per year but will play forever, which one makes Glu more money?
  • Itsouttahere2Itsouttahere2 Registered Users, Member 697 Posts

WOW! I sharted!!!!!!
    Too bad I can’t level him 😞
    JEDDDOGGY said:
    All I know is that I'm putting my phone down for the weekend. That's easily 500 a month between FP/subs/bundles. I'm not quitting or anything,  but that's my reality.

This is my situation.

As to whales, they do not seem sustainable either. I can think of many, many whales of years past just off of the top of my head that are no longer playing. 

Conversely, any of the super casual players making micro-purchases are not heavily invested in the game and will quit at the drop of a hat if the game becomes too expensive, too time-consuming, too frustrating, or so on.

The mid-level players seem to be the sweet spot as far as who they should focus on retaining. We aren't spending so much money we have to quit because our finances are wrecked.

If a guy spends 80k in one year, but then calls it quits after that, versus a guy who spends 20k per year but will play forever, which one makes Glu more money?
    Could have this argument in either direction. Given the shelf life of mobile games and the ever changing industry. You take the money you can get now. 80k now is worth more than. 80k spread over 4 years. 
    edited May 2021

Could have this argument in either direction. Given the shelf life of mobile games and the ever changing industry. You take the money you can get now. 80k now is worth more than. 80k spread over 4 years. 

I can kind of see where you are coming from, but when forecasting financials it does not sound (to me) like the  best idea to push away 99% of your customer base and then bank on the 8-12 guys who are cool with dropping 20k to level primes to support the entire business.

@JEDDDOGGY, @jalapenocubbies, my only comment to this is that the mid tier pool is larger
    One thing that gets overlooked in this conversation is people said the same stuff three years ago. Without hard data and knowing the financial goals Glu has set, I have no idea whether these strategies are working or they aren't. Logically, they wouldn't have spent to make the enhancements they have (and there are been tons since 2016) if they weren't generating the kind of profit that would compel them to invest more capital into it. 

Conversations in social media, in messaging apps and on message boards are not necessarily reflective of the overall temperature reading of the game. Agree 1,000 percent w/ @jalapenocubbies in that the digital space is almost entirely "get it when the gettin's good," because you're always a day away from falling out of relevancy. That's always been my thought as to their strategy. That's compounded by the fact Glu is the creator and distributor of an entire platform of games, all of which seem entirely connected to the whims and trends of popular culture. 

But if this is a legitimate question: 
    Then I'd say they're just going to ride it hard and put it away wet, cuz any time you can get $80k off anyone without giving up anything material, you do it until you can't do it anymore.
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    Just saw this in a chat: 

If you're not having fun, you're losing.
    @JEDDDOGGY, @jalapenocubbies, my only comment to this is that the mid tier pool is larger
    You aren’t wrong. But what’s easier to replace 

this guy:

Or this guy: 

• jmsorioles33jmsorioles33 Registered Users, Member 392 Posts
    DFBB said:
    Just saw this in a chat: 

Didn’t have it in the budget to spring for a level 5 xfactor huh?
    edited May 2021

this guy:

Or this guy: 

The rainbow VIPs don't seem to last very long. Guys spend 70k and then get divorced, file bankruptcy, get burned out, see their credit card bills pile up, etcetera. So they need to be worrying about replacing those guys all the time.

If they just made the game affordable to play, they could retain most everyone, rainbow VIPs all the way down to the micro-purchasers.

• mythicaldragonmythicaldragon Registered Users, Member 2,418 Posts
    edited May 2021
    DFBB said:
    Just saw this in a chat: 

That’s just crazy... not sure what else to say bout that 😳hardcore jeez.  However..I did get my ohtani to B9 💪🏻with FP 😂
    JEDDDOGGY said:

this guy:

Or this guy: 

The rainbow VIPs don't seem to last very long. Guys spend 70k and then get divorced, file bankruptcy, get burned out, see their credit card bills pile up, etcetera. So they need to be worrying about replacing those guys all the time.

If they just made the game affordable to play, they could retain most everyone, rainbow VIPs all the way down to the micro-purchasers.

For the record I agree with you. It has been my complaint forever. They just make it too expensive to play. I admittedly am not one of the guys who can just leisurely play. I’m either going all out or can’t play. I do not enjoy trying to build a team via woh. I want to play and compete In every event. I just can’t anymore because of the cost to get players, get sets, and level now primes and legends. I have argued for 4 years that if they made things more affordable and guys didn’t walk away empty after dropping hundreds of thousands of gold or thousands of real dollars it would make the game more fun. Unfortunately that’s not happening. The games been further expanding and costs way to much. Now their “anti-cheating” measures aren’t working as constructed and you lose the feature you pay for due to their own system malfunctioning. So long story short. While I agree making it more affordable would be better long term, their concept is grab what we can now and expand the cost and keep the whales spending. 

this guy:

Or this guy: 

You are correct on that one. I would love to see the data on how many VIPs there are and the tier breakdown. In the past 2 years, I've had 11 VIP teams go through my possession.  And I know for sure, I'm not the only one that trades these accounts 
    @jalapenocubbies Yeah, I think we mostly agree on many of these points. We're just discussing some slightly different viewpoints. It just stinks that the game is essentially modeled for millionaires, but its available to the general public. I really, really, really want to play... but I'm forced out when it costs thousands of dollars for one player.

this guy:

Or this guy: 

You are correct on that one. I would love to see the data on how many VIPs there are and the tier breakdown. In the past 2 years, I've had 11 VIP teams go through my possession.  And I know for sure, I'm not the only one that trades these accounts 
    Oh yeah, they certainly change hands. My vip is mine and only mine. Been that way since 17. But thing is, guys who buy them are spenders too. No one is buying a green, blue, orange, pink vip to just sit in it. They’ll keep spending. 
    100%... but those rainbow colored VIPs aren't being regenerated.  They're just switching ownership. The higher the tier, the harder they fall and sell their "investment" for less than 1% of what they put in
    Yeah the guys buying rainbow VIPs likely don't continue spending at the same rate.
    All true. But that guy who spent 80k or 100k to get the rainbow is selling it to guy who will probably spend 10-20k so it’s not lol they are going to 0. And I think the green, blue, etc are more common than we think. I know a handful of guys who keep theirs red and are actually blue and orange vips. Again we know it’s a small group but I think they drove the most revenue. 
    My takeaway from the last several posts: there are lots of VIPs that quit and sell their teams.
    JEDDDOGGY said:
    My takeaway from the last several posts: there are lots of VIPs that quit and sell their teams.
    Mine is "holy effing sh1t, I cannot imagine spending $80,000 on a game -- at least one that doesn't give me a chance to win it, and then some, back." 
  • whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts
    Love this thread!  Makes me feel proud of my spending! 🤪🤪
    I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.  You mean the round and level? 
    - Blueleopard