Is TSB21 Now The Most Expensive Mobile Game?

drsmartassphddrsmartassphd Registered Users, Member 3,133 Posts

If you want to keep up, that is.

I'm aware that you can choose not to spend.

I'm referring to those who choose, for example, to spend thousands of dollars leveling the new Prime player to D10 and capping their skills on a weekend where little to no resources are being offered.

The weekly players, bonus sets, etc. Now we have daily boxes of new players, POTW, POTM, players to buy during the week now...

The list goes on and on. Tons of players with resources squeezed like never before. Events that offer about 2% of what you have to put into them as a reward.

Has GLU successfully pulled this off? If so, congrats to them!

Yes, we are aware of the game having crashing issues in the middle of WoH, but we can't compensate you for the gold you lost at this time. This is done on a case by case basis. - TSB Customer Service

Prev1345

Comments

• CanadaCubsCanadaCubs Registered Users, Member 1,235 Posts
    edited May 2021
    They really have quite the operation going. Its remarkable really. I wish I had the ability to sell grown adults 10$ Bill's for 100$.
    "If you can't beat them, report them"
  • jalapenocubbiesjalapenocubbies Registered Users, Member 1,057 Posts
    . I don’t play any other mobile games to even begin to tell you if it is or isn’t. In general games have just become expensive in general. My daughter plays Fortnite and Roblox, so I see it there as well, but admittedly would Be hard pressed to spend hundreds of dollars in a week in those games as it’s not needed. You can play those games without spending as what your spending on is for cosmetic things like new skins etc. This game costs a lot of you want to play it at a high level. If you’re ok building a team vis 3rd-4th level talent via woh etc, then the game is doable for little to no spending. Unfortunately I’m in the camp that always likes new shiny things, so the game has certainly stretched beyond my reasonable expectations.
  • Piglet1899Piglet1899 Registered Users, Member 220 Posts
    In addition to the slashed box odds, and reduced double gold days, a big drop in the gifts too. 

They’re not even dangling a carrot. 
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    It really depends how you play the game.   I've kind of learned this year you can definitely build a quality team at lower tiers without spending.   Basically you can just grind videos.   However for me, that's a lot less fun so not wanting to do the diamond thing means not much time on the app for me.

Diamond is the most fun for me but also a big commitment of time and money.   It can be done without constant purchasing of FP but for me once I tasted FP, tapping games manually just wasnt for me anymore.

Longstory short, fun for me became too expensive so it was my time to leave.   That's really all that should matter to you when you play a game.  I can't really speak to other mobile games, I've gotten into the Show recently which I definitely don't need to drop money to have so it's working ok for me.
    It really depends how you play the game.   I've kind of learned this year you can definitely build a quality team at lower tiers without spending.   Basically you can just grind videos.   However for me, that's a lot less fun so not wanting to do the diamond thing means not much time on the app for me.

Diamond is the most fun for me but also a big commitment of time and money.   It can be done without constant purchasing of FP but for me once I tasted FP, tapping games manually just wasnt for me anymore.

Longstory short, fun for me became too expensive so it was my time to leave.   That's really all that should matter to you when you play a game.  I can't really speak to other mobile games, I've gotten into the Show recently which I definitely don't need to drop money to have so it's working ok for me.
    The biggest advantage this game has over the Show is accessibility. I’m not always home or in front of my TV to play. This game is always available if I’m on the road, away from home etc. I feel like I would play the Show but it’s hard for me to even have time to play short of maybe an hour at night. This is my problem. Maybe I’ll give it a shot. 
  • fatDaddyfatDaddy Registered Users, Member 318 Posts
    Brilliant move by MLB to force The Show onto Xbox. Now that it's available on Game Pass and Project xCloud, I play it on my phone a lot more than TSB.

My spending in this game has dropped significantly  - between the unavailability of pxp, too many players per box, ramped difficulty, etc., it's just not as much fun anymore. I don't have any expectation that things will get better after the EA acquisition finalizes, but I'll continue to check in for the rest of the year to find out. 

The biggest advantage this game has over the Show is accessibility. I’m not always home or in front of my TV to play. This game is always available if I’m on the road, away from home etc. I feel like I would play the Show but it’s hard for me to even have time to play short of maybe an hour at night. This is my problem. Maybe I’ll give it a shot. 
    in way I prefer it that way.   Too often when I should be interacting with others or doing things outside the house, i was always half glued to my phone or being forced to find a charger because my battery is dying.   The playing in moderation thing as oppose to always having it on my mind has been very nice for me.
    fatDaddy said:
    Brilliant move by MLB to force The Show onto Xbox. Now that it's available on Game Pass and Project xCloud, I play it on my phone a lot more than TSB.

My spending in this game has dropped significantly  - between the unavailability of pxp, too many players per box, ramped difficulty, etc., it's just not as much fun anymore. I don't have any expectation that things will get better after the EA acquisition finalizes, but I'll continue to check in for the rest of the year to find out. 
    I've always been an Xbox guy over Playstation so its my first year on the game and im enjoying it quite a bit.
  • Itsouttahere2Itsouttahere2 Registered Users, Member 697 Posts
    Yeah, I think I’m pretty much done with this bs, the one good thing that they did lately which was to have the weekend bonus players continue as bonus players during the week they just eliminated, no fun at all!!! Fûk this 💩!!!!

Building a good team doesn't net you a competitive team. I'm fully aware this is the great divide between 18' and present. unfortunately a good team is unsustainable....that is of course if you just want wins on your profile 
  • jmsorioles33jmsorioles33 Registered Users, Member 392 Posts
    in way I prefer it that way.   Too often when I should be interacting with others or doing things outside the house, i was always half glued to my phone or being forced to find a charger because my battery is dying.   The playing in moderation thing as oppose to always having it on my mind has been very nice for me.
    The lack of specific (and often short) event windows in The Show versus TSB is a big game/life benefit too. When I was playing TSB hard last year even when I didn't have my phone out, I had it in the back of my head that I still "needed" to get through 12 more cycles before midnight. During that period I know I wasn't as fully engaged with work/life as I should have been. 
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts

For me, I'm simply done with consoles. I do have time to be in front of the TV, but that life is simply behind me. I'm just old. lol. I got into Heartsthone before tsb and picked it up a few months ago. Anyways, often, I found myself asking how HS makes money. Hmm, I am totally jacked for diablo 2: resurrected. I already have a few hobbies that I juggle, but whatever. What's one more! lol

If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    The lack of specific (and often short) event windows in The Show versus TSB is a big game/life benefit too. When I was playing TSB hard last year even when I didn't have my phone out, I had it in the back of my head that I still "needed" to get through 12 more cycles before midnight. During that period I know I wasn't as fully engaged with work/life as I should have been. 
    This is a great point, but the flip side is that not caring=death for any game. At least, it is for me. When I was SF4ing for example, I could only play when I got home. At work, I would talk about it all day with friends and spent a lot of time on frame data and strategies. The good old days! 
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • [Glu Sports] blueleopard[Glu Sports] blueleopard Administrator, Moderators 815 Posts
    edited May 2021
    IMO Xbox Game Pass is the best value in gaming, so I'm glad people are finding their way to gaming experiences they used to only have on other platforms.  It's the first time I've played The Show since I think 2017, but I honestly couldn't tell you whether I like it more, less, or the same as I ever used to. 

I've been on the TSB team for five years and while I can resonate with the userbase with both the praises and complaints, the stuff that's been added over the years in addition to what's being worked on still impresses me and I'm glad its gameplay loop still resonates with the community here.

Our team is extremely passionate about sports, but the quality of a really engaging mobile game is really up to how quickly its audience can adapt to its main game--and for TSB, take away all the nitty gritty, it's all about hitting the ball. Our attempts with Tap Sports Football and WWE Universe, both of which are products near and dear to me, just didn't compare when it came to the quick gameplay mechanic that TSB has. 

To the question at hand -- no.  Definitely not.  You can easily do a search on Google to see what's higher.

Building a good team doesn't net you a competitive team. I'm fully aware this is the great divide between 18' and present. unfortunately a good team is unsustainable....that is of course if you just want wins on your profile 
    yeah definitely.   But if you are building a good team at a lower tier, then being competitive isn't your goal.  Its just not reasonable to be competitive unless you are diamond and even then it still requires a commitment.
  • mythicaldragonmythicaldragon Registered Users, Member 2,418 Posts
    If I remember correctly it was discussed at one of the vip council meetings maybe a couple of years ago that players would need to chase one or the other being resources or players. Obviously meaning one would be harder to obtain than the other. What happened to that? Seems we’re chasing both.. 
    Must have made more “business sense” to make players chase both?? 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    If I remember correctly it was discussed at one of the vip council meetings maybe a couple of years ago that players would need to chase one or the other being resources or players. Obviously meaning one would be harder to obtain than the other. What happened to that? Seems we’re chasing both.. 
    Some people are chasing both, and some are chasing neither. 
    True... true..
    I don’t remember this but I honestly wouldn’t say that wasn’t discussed. Today’s bonus sets to me are the problems with the game in a nutshell. All but 1 set includes players whose odds are .5% to .8% and 3 of them are primes In which you’d have to spend hundreds of dollars to even level them, and that’s after the cost of getting them. 

The game may not be the most expensive mobile game but it has certainly priced a lot of people out recently. 
    I don’t remember this but I honestly wouldn’t say that wasn’t discussed. Today’s bonus sets to me are the problems with the game in a nutshell. All but 1 set includes players whose odds are .5% to .8% and 3 of them are primes In which you’d have to spend hundreds of dollars to even level them, and that’s after the cost of getting them. 

I specifically remember one weekend in particular back in 2017/2018 ish. @dkarski87 had struck out on weekend boxes and had to take a break from out Kik group chat because the thought of him seeing someone else get a bonus player and posting it would make him sick. I somehow managed to get a bonus player in 5 boxes (335 Severino). I then won FSF on Twitter and then got Andujar (335 again). 

Some people may be thinking why that was a big deal  nowadays, but back then the odds of getting a bonus player from the box was only 2%. It used to be special to just get a bonus player.  Now it is all about having multiple bonus players. 
  • dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    It happens all the time lol.
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy

The game may not be the most expensive mobile game but it has certainly priced a lot of people out recently. 
    For the first time this season, I haven't played the game since Thursday. I logged in once on the weekend to check out the boxes. I didnt log in yesterday, and I decided to check it out today.  It's so overwhelming what is required to compete. I dont even think 1000$ would land everyone.  Honestly,  I can't figure out how this engages players other than the top 3-4 clubs
    I think I made a meme one time with Donkey Kong leaving the screen and all it said was “Dkarski87 has left the chat”
  • dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    This gets used about 4-5 times a week, no bs. @TyroneEastwood

"Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
    That’s an oldie, but a goodie 
     CanadaCubs said:

For the first time this season, I haven't played the game since Thursday. I logged in once on the weekend to check out the boxes. I didnt log in yesterday, and I decided to check it out today.  It's so overwhelming what is required to compete. I dont even think 1000$ would land everyone.  Honestly,  I can't figure out how this engages players other than the top 3-4 clubs
    I think you’re right. To pull multiple .5% to .8% players, barring miracle luck, that’s ungodly amounts of gold, then go level them 🤮. I haven’t spent in 11 days now and I’m feeling pretty good. I spent hours upon hours on the game daily not to mention money. To push me away should say something but I don’t see it resonating as today is peak “I can’t afford to play anymore”. I’m with As I have no idea how They can see this leading to player engagement but it must otherwise why keep doing it. 

Actually it was mentioned by @DFBB that it was brought up at a council meeting. It’s been some time ago he may not even remember. It’s irrelevant.. was just pointing out nothing ever changes.. for the benefit of the player that is. 
    Agree problem with the game is the amount of sets/players/boxes and terrible odds. It’s a mess.. lessen the amount of ridiculous sets required increase the odds to a minimum of 1% which is still to low 2% would be fair imo. Make pxp realistically obtainable make us work for it... but make it obtainable which will engage the 99%. 
  • JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    edited May 2021

To the question at hand -- no.  Definitely not.  You can easily do a search on Google to see what's higher.

Can you? I did find that TSB surpassed $340 million in lifetime revenue last season. That's just last season, so who knows what that number is now. That's also across 48 million downloads, which is about $7.08 per download. Pokemon Go, for instance, has $6.4 billion in lifetime revenue across 1 billion downloads, which is $6.40 per download. So it's definitely up there...
    edited May 2021

Obviously the 340 players were not intended to be 
    0.5 odds. Maybe the 330 was supposed to be 5 percent and the 340s 2.5? Still not fixed... jeez I hope people didn’t chase those 340s 🤮 ridiculous mistakes. 

Obviously the 340 players were not intended to be 
    0.5 odds. Maybe the 330 was supposed to be 5 percent and the 340s 2.5? Still not fixed... jeez I hope people didn’t chase those 340s 🤮 ridiculous mistakes. 
    I genuinely don’t think it was a mistake. It’s a 250 box so pull rates are already lower. I just think they look at it as 1% for a 340 player in a 250 box.