MLB All Star Voting!

DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
As some of you may be aware, the All Star Ballot is live. I'm not sure how many of you guys watch/care about actual baseball, but here were my votes:

AL:
1b:Vlad
2b:Semien
3b:Jram
SS:Bogaerts
OF:Adolis Garcia, Judge, Cedric Mullins
DH: Ohtani

NL:
1b:Freeman
2b:Albies
3b:Bryant
SS:Tatis
OF: Acuna, Jesse Winker, Castellanos

AL OF was tough because Trout has been hurt and it's just a real brutal position this year. On the flip side, the NL OF was fairly obvious. The NL 1b is tough. Muncy probably is more deserving, but I like Freddy more so he gets a biased vote. lol. I was real torn on the AL 3b because both Jram and Devers are deserving. I don't want to post a link, but if you guys want to vote, it's an easy google search. 

If you're not having fun, you're losing.

Comments

• toddgurley30toddgurley30 Registered Users, Member 252 Posts
    There is a catcher too.
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    There is a catcher too.
    Crud, I forgot. Those were pretty easy. I voted for Salvy and Buster. 
  • More2Most2FirstMore2Most2First Registered Users, Member 777 Posts
    My AL vote was the same as @DFBB, including Salvy…except Trout and Buxton instead of Garcia and Mullins

NL was the same, including Buster…but Muncy at 1B (he’s been one of the most valuable players in baseball this year, period), Chisholm at 2B (Albies will win anyway), and Tyler O’Neill over Acuna (because I can’t stand Acuna and he’ll be starting anyway).

I do try to be objective when I vote, as evidenced by me painfully voting for Posey and Tatis Jr.  If Acuna could ever hit even one HR, without celebrating like he just hit a walk-off in Game 7 of the World Series, I’d consider voting for him 🤣
  • baseball2020baseball2020 Registered Users, Member 511 Posts
    Speaking of real baseball, does anyone here play MLB Beat the Streak?

It is probably the most fun and most frustrating game I have ever played. But at least you don’t have to spend any money to play.
  • BigBibbins333BigBibbins333 Registered Users, Member 243 Posts

It is probably the most fun and most frustrating game I have ever played. But at least you don’t have to spend any money to play.
    Love it. Been playing for a few years now. What's your best streak? Mine is 13. Fun and frustrating is a great way to describe it.
  • baseball2020baseball2020 Registered Users, Member 511 Posts
    edited June 2021

Love it. Been playing for a few years now. What's your best streak? Mine is 13. Fun and frustrating is a great way to describe it.
    In 2019 I had two accounts so I put an asterisk next to it, but I had 29 on one of them. I was ranked in the top 100 but not on the leaderboard. I started playing in 2015 and I had 18 my first season. 

I have only reached nine this season and my current streak is five 😢
     If Acuna could ever hit even one HR, without celebrating like he just hit a walk-off in Game 7 of the World Series, I’d consider voting for him 🤣
    I'm guessing you saw what RAJ did last night? His manager summed it up, 'you can't do stupid things like that and expect to win games....'
  • CanadaCubsCanadaCubs Registered Users, Member 1,235 Posts
    DFBB said:
     If Acuna could ever hit even one HR, without celebrating like he just hit a walk-off in Game 7 of the World Series, I’d consider voting for him 🤣
    I'm guessing you saw what RAJ did last night? His manager summed it up, 'you can't do stupid things like that and expect to win games....'
    At the end of the day, it's those risks and stupid plays that make baseball entertaining.  More importantly,  it's what defines them from the mundane stat players. If Tiger Woods didnt play the way he did in his prime,  the sport would be dead. Hockey is now falling in to this same pile as MLB- individual efforts are frowned upon because of "codes of the game".   This is one of my favorite topics, so I'll handle the criticism 🙂
    "If you can't beat them, report them"
    DFBB said:
    I actually missed it, lol…going to research now 🤣

@CanadaCubs

I don’t mind personal celebration at all…as long as it’s actually a big moment in the game.  For instance, you’re team is tied or down, late in the game and you hit a clutch home run…please celebrate at will.  However, if you hit a home run that puts your team ahead 2-0 in the first inning, who gives a crap.  There is still a lot of game left to be played and it likely that will not be even close to the most important play of that game.  Lastly…funny how all these hitters started celebrating once it became super frowned upon to drill the next batter or drill that same batter the next time they’re up.  It’s kind of like talking shit via the internet…no real chance of any retaliation or consequence.  So I guess that’s why it really bothers me so much.  I know if I were a pitcher in MLB, I’d get suspended the first time someone did a huge bat flip or admired their dinger for too long, as I would drill the next batter in the ribs immediately…maybe Don Drysdale is my spirit animal? 🤷‍♂️
    @DFBB @CanadaCubs

After watching idiot Acuna get thrown out at third, when the extra base was meaningless — in the most clutch of times — I’d rather watch my player celebrate a dinger like an idiot, over them directly and negatively influencing the outcome of the game, lol.  What a tool bag.
    Though regarding the worst baserunning this week, Acuna is still far behind the combination of Semien and Bichette for the Blue Jays today…holy shit!  😂
  • mythicaldragonmythicaldragon Registered Users, Member 2,418 Posts
    Unfortunately the old timer unwritten rules IMO are holding baseball back… when to celebrate.. when not to celebrate… dont bat flip cuz you’ll hurt the cry baby pitchers feelings…don’t swing at a 3-0 pitch in the 6th up 7 runs cuz you will again hurt the pitchers feelings.. gtfo with that sh#t… get over yourself jeez. Baseball is supposed to be fun… none of these dumb unwritten rules are fun for anyone. I’ll never tell my son not to swing cuz of some unwritten rule. Play the game the same every inning every at bat swing for the fence! Pour it on! And flip it high 💪🏻

Imagine telling Lebron don’t celebrate after a dunk because it’s disrespectful. 😂  Or when your up 20 in the 4th with 2 mins to go lay back start missing your shots or better yet don’t take any shots 😂 ya.. ok 👌🏻 

MLB doing a good job holding themselves back 👏
    It’s all about respecting and actually showing that respect to your peers.  You know, having sportsmanship.  The increasing lack of sportsmanship within sports, is actually a microcosm of the increasing lack of peer respect within society.  As society continues to plummet, so will the respect shown to each other in sports.

Also, the NBA is weak.  College basketball is so much better, it’s not even close.  I could give two shits what anyone does in the NBA…stopped watching that trash when they stopped playing defense and any contact started getting whistled.
    It’s all about respecting and actually showing that respect to your peers.  You know, having sportsmanship.  The increasing lack of sportsmanship within sports, is actually a microcosm of the increasing lack of peer respect within society.  As society continues to plummet, so will the respect shown to each other in sports.

Also, the NBA is weak.  College basketball is so much better, it’s not even close.  I could give two shits what anyone does in the NBA…stopped watching that trash when they stopped playing defense and any contact started getting whistled.
    I agree I’m all about respect and sportsmanship…but unfortunately not swinging at a 3-0 pitch in a blowout or a celebratory bat flip IMO has nothing to do with respect or sportsmanship. It’s egos and hurt feelings. Respect and sportsmanship is when the pitcher can shake the batters hand after he just slammed that 3-0 pitch over the fence. Instead of drilling him with a pitch the next at bat because his feelings are hurt..  because that’s respectful drilling a guy with a pitch cuz he homered on you lol 

Kyle Larson you have a 10 second lead you need to slow down 2nd place guy is feeling disrespected his feelings are hurt. Lol 👌🏻
    Baseball got some dumb unwritten rules that I believe are so engrained in the sport people don’t even realize how dumb they are. 
    You don’t drill someone for hitting a home run, as I agree that’s disrespectful.  However, you absolutely drill someone for hitting a home run off you AND disrespectfully celebrating it — when it isn’t even a big moment in the game.  It’s all good, we’ll never change our opinions, so that cliche of “agree to disagree” applies here.  I’m sure we can both agree that we would like to drill Glu in the ribs with some 100 mph heat though 🤣
    edited June 2021
    For sure buddy 👊🏻 we agree to disagree.
    Agree…I want glu devs in that batter box eating some heat 😂
  • Cooz19Cooz19 Registered Users 1,256 Posts
    edited June 2021
    I agree I’m all about respect and sportsmanship…but unfortunately not swinging at a 3-0 pitch in a blowout or a celebratory bat flip IMO has nothing to do with respect or sportsmanship. 
    When the pitcher is a utility infielder, and you know he's going to groove a 60 mph fastball down the heart of the plate, yeah, it toes the line of respect and sportsmanship. They're up by a dozen runs later in a game. They aren't having him pitch because they are trying to remain competitive. 

And if that's your primary reason in arguing baseball is losing its popularity, you're missing an awful lot. No one would care about unwritten rules if the game was played in an exciting and action-filled way. Walks, strikeouts and home runs. That boils down the general strategy. Shift heavily, swing for the fences or don't swing at all. Don't take extra bases or steal because that will cost you a quarter run over 162 games, dont have your ace pitch more than 4 innings, etc. 

Basically, why do we freak out over the unwritten rules when the written rules and philosophies that truly affect game play (and not the response to it) are causing the boredom?

IDGAF about dudes flipping bats, but please forgive me if I don't define "fun" as celebrating an achievement in a far more dramatic fashion than earning the achievement itself merits. And when that's all we have to talk about in a game that's been watered down to math on grass and agriline, we ignore the real issues. 
    Cooz19 said:
    I agree I’m all about respect and sportsmanship…but unfortunately not swinging at a 3-0 pitch in a blowout or a celebratory bat flip IMO has nothing to do with respect or sportsmanship. 
    When the pitcher is a utility infielder, and you know he's going to groove a 60 mph fastball down the heart of the plate, yeah, it toes the line of respect and sportsmanship. They're up by a dozen runs later in a game. They aren't having him pitch because they are trying to remain competitive. 

And if that's your primary reason in arguing baseball is losing its popularity, you're missing an awful lot. No one would care about unwritten rules if the game was played in an exciting and action-filled way. Walks, strikeouts and home runs. That boils down the general strategy. Shift heavily, swing for the fences or don't swing at all. Don't take extra bases or steal because that will cost you a quarter run over 162 games, dont have your ace pitch more than 4 innings, etc. 

Basically, why do we freak out over the unwritten rules when the written rules and philosophies that truly affect game play (and not the response to it) are causing the boredom?

IDGAF about dudes flipping bats, but please forgive me if I don't define "fun" as celebrating an achievement in a far more dramatic fashion than earning the achievement itself merits. And when that's all we have to talk about in a game that's been watered down to math on grass and agriline, we ignore the real issues. 
    No that’s not the only reason but baseball needs to be fun to watch simple as that.. there are a lot of reasons baseball has lost popularity or is isn’t growing.  We can cover that but I gotta get some sleep 💤. The game hasn’t evolved much unfortunately and if you look at the nfl it is barely recognizable since its inception… they’ve listened to the fans over the years evolved with the times. 
    The 3-0 count blowout incident from a couple of weeks ago takes the cake imo. It's a game where players paychecks are a direct result of their performance. Tatis had every right to smash that out of the park. Its guys like him who are bringing a much needed excitement to the game. Sportsmanship within the game may be declining,  but it's still there. Rizzo and Freeman are prime examples of that. 
  • whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts
    edited June 2021
    Hurting peoples feelings is a valid concern.  I mean look at all the problems our out going President caused when his got hurt. I’m just grateful ole Joe didn’t do a bat flip and a slow stroll around the monuments!
    I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.  You mean the round and level? 
    - Blueleopard
    I'm not sure ol Joe could coordinate himself to even lift a bat 
  • Cooz19Cooz19 Registered Users 1,256 Posts
    No that’s not the only reason but baseball needs to be fun to watch simple as that.. there are a lot of reasons baseball has lost popularity or is isn’t growing.  We can cover that but I gotta get some sleep 💤. The game hasn’t evolved much unfortunately and if you look at the nfl it is barely recognizable since its inception… they’ve listened to the fans over the years evolved with the times. 
    People use the "bat flips are fun" argument far too often. That's all I'm saying. You're dead-on with the idea the game hasn't evolved, certainly in comparison to the NFL, where it's, as you can, barely recognizable. Baseball wanted to keep its mystique and the poetry of its history, and didn't consider the notion people will get bored with it. And we are. 

Me, personally, I like athleticism. Outfielders make some utterly insane plays. Throwing the ball is awesome at the major league level. Finding ways to get guys to run to 2, 3 and home more often would make it much more entertaining. Home runs are fine, but when we're debating how they're celebrating a home run, it just seems like we don't have anything else to talk about with the game. 
    Y’all want exciting? Shotime just dropped an epic video to announced that’s he’s entering the derby! Twitter is fire! Here’s hoping the three juniors are going to join him!!!
    DFBB said:
    Y’all want exciting? Shotime just dropped an epic video to announced that’s he’s entering the derby! Twitter is fire! Here’s hoping the three juniors are going to join him!!!
    Same here. Tbh, I dont know why they wouldnt. 
    I'm not expecting guys to be gung-ho about things they disagree with, but I think it's important to acknowledge change and to be specific, that there are other voices; the latter of which, is the epitome of respect.  Similar to how writers need to know their audience, it's important to understand the masses. Once upon a time, things like batflips were frowned upon. Now, they're being celebrated. As they saying goes, 'adapt or become a dinosaur.'

Now that I got that out of the way....SHOTIME!!!! Dude announces that he's going to enter the derby with a WWE style video...then goes yard. TWICE! I had insane luck this weekend with boxes and I spent most of my time watching/reading all things Ohtani. It's fun to be a fan.  
  • whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts
    It’s fun to be an Angels fan!! 😁 Until you look at the standings 😟
    I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.  You mean the round and level? 
    - Blueleopard
    whynot said:
    It’s fun to be an Angels fan!! 😁 Until you look at the standings 😟
    It's always fun! I just grabbed Ward off the wire on all 3 of my fantasy teams. leggogogogoogogogogogo!
    DFBB said:

Now that I got that out of the way....SHOTIME!!!! Dude announces that he's going to enter the derby with a WWE style video...then goes yard. TWICE! I had insane luck this weekend with boxes and I spent most of my time watching/reading all things Ohtani. It's fun to be a fan.  
    My mom is a big Angels fan and my dad roots for both Angels and Dodgers (though Dodgers are his real team, but happy wife, happy life).  Anyway, they went to their first Angels game of the year last night and Shohei sure delivered!  What a talent!