1st pitch skills

Itsouttahere2Itsouttahere2 Registered Users, Member 697 Posts
Do 1st pitch skills stay on after 1st pitch. 

Comments

• toddgurley30toddgurley30 Registered Users, Member 252 Posts
    If you foul off the first pitch yes.
  • Itsouttahere2Itsouttahere2 Registered Users, Member 697 Posts
    so it’s one pitch and the skills are done? 

Then why was he called a unicorn?
  • sullipa8sullipa8 Registered Users, Member 564 Posts
    One pitch for that at bat. When you go to the next at bat, it turns back on. 

It’s not active for extra bases or CVC from what I can tell.

There is one caveat. For the rally WOH, it is not active on the first AB but is active all others for the first pitch. 
  • whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts
    If I’m not mistaken the games inner circle believes this is a top skill.  Never could exactly understand why but their advice on these things is always spot on.
    I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.  You mean the round and level? 
    - Blueleopard
  • tshea510tshea510 Registered Users, Member 1,786 Posts
    whynot said:
    If I’m not mistaken the games inner circle believes this is a top skill.  Never could exactly understand why but their advice on these things is always spot on.
    Yeah, I was floundering on taking Davey as a Keeper, but as you said, their advice has not disappointed. That skill has yet to disappoint as well.
    Just a Silver team from the wrong side of the tracks, so what do I know? 🤷
  • CanadaCubsCanadaCubs Registered Users, Member 1,235 Posts
    Can confirm, Davey is hands down the best player out there for everything non cvc/eb.  He can easily close woh regardless of what hand the pitcher is 
    "If you can't beat them, report them"
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    edited June 2021
    I wrote about this in the ‘20 forum( https://communities.glu.com/tap-sports-baseball-2020/discussion/comment/6969217#Comment_6969217 ) . Many were skeptical, but eventually, most people came around. In particular, you can see the popularity of the skill at the end of ‘20 and it has been a common skill in this year’s version. 
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
    Thank you all! I guess I’ll be capping him ASAP!
  • redlegs2018uredlegs2018u Registered Users, Member 1,048 Posts
    I just finished capping Davey last weekend and so far he’s been my 5.9 guy only because I have Olerud for 5.10 but at 5.9 he’s had about a 90ish % success rate. 
  • Cooz19Cooz19 Registered Users 1,256 Posts
    So I have an outfield of: 
    Ohtani (L, 380, vs R/Late)
    Marte (B, 360, Blowout/RISP)
    Meadows (L, 340, vs R/Close)
    Grossman (B, 340, First pitch/On base)
    Verdugo (L, 330, vs R/On base)
    Naquin (L, 330, vs R/On base)

I have two good SSs:
    Polanco (B, 360, Late/On base)
    Crawford (L, 340, vs R/Close)

Polanco is the DH. I figure for games, Ohtani/Marte/Grossman is the best combo, but the game loves Verdugo (I assume foil players get some sort of double-secret bonus). 

Switch hitters seem to be constructed more as right-handed, as they seem to hit better vs L. I feel vs R is the best skill because 70 percent of all pitchers are rightys. 

Maybe I'm just writing this out, but does anyone have any thoughts? 
    Cooz19 said:
    So I have an outfield of: 
    Ohtani (L, 380, vs R/Late)
    Marte (B, 360, Blowout/RISP)
    Meadows (L, 340, vs R/Close)
    Grossman (B, 340, First pitch/On base)
    Verdugo (L, 330, vs R/On base)
    Naquin (L, 330, vs R/On base)

I have two good SSs:
    Polanco (B, 360, Late/On base)
    Crawford (L, 340, vs R/Close)

Polanco is the DH. I figure for games, Ohtani/Marte/Grossman is the best combo, but the game loves Verdugo (I assume foil players get some sort of double-secret bonus). 

Switch hitters seem to be constructed more as right-handed, as they seem to hit better vs L. I feel vs R is the best skill because 70 percent of all pitchers are rightys. 

Maybe I'm just writing this out, but does anyone have any thoughts? 
    1)If trying to simply win games: Ohtani, Grossman, and Meadows is the best combo.
    2)If trying to maximize runs: Ohtani, Grossman, and Marte is ideal. 
    3)Foils don't get a 'bump.' Verdugo's stats are almost certainly a result of context(the type of opponents/pitchers he faced) and sample size. 
    4)I like Polanco as the Dh too. 
    5)'vs rhp' is nice, but switch hitters absolutely own. 
    Thanks, @DFBB. If/when I go gold and get a second skill for ML, First Pitch is probably the best option, right? He has Vs R now (switch hitter).
  • jalapenocubbiesjalapenocubbies Registered Users, Member 1,057 Posts
    Cooz19 said:
    Thanks, @DFBB. If/when I go gold and get a second skill for ML, First Pitch is probably the best option, right? He has Vs R now (switch hitter).
    That’s what I did with mine. He is currently my woh closer and doesn’t lose. He’s great vs Righty pitchers and probably would Still beat almost any lefty pitcher even with just the 1 skill. 
    Cooz19 said:
    I did 'high average', switch, and vs' rhp/1st pitch. For diamond, I absolutely believe this is the optimal play if you ignore CvC. For gold, however, I'm not certain. Ops could be better than 'high average,' but I just haven't messed with it at lower tiers. 

• redlegs2018uredlegs2018u Registered Users, Member 1,048 Posts
    I did OPS leader, 2xRHP but he’s still gold as evo is a bit of a bottleneck.  I did get my two keepers to D10 and it’s really nice knowing you don’t need to even look at half the infield as those two slots are locked down.
    Glad this got bumped. @DFBB wasn't lying, Grossman is a freakin beast. Games and Woh, he's been a great addition. #FirstPitchSkillBeliever