The Official Worst Boxes Of The Year Thread: Let's Keep This Updated

Comments

• [Glu Sports] blueleopard[Glu Sports] blueleopard Administrator, Moderators 815 Posts
    Just wanted to pop my head in and say I like this thread.  By all means, keep going.
  • jalapenocubbiesjalapenocubbies Registered Users, Member 1,057 Posts
    I think the idea of “worst box of the year” is very subjective but my bigger concern is the weekday box structure since the first legend last Thursday. While it’s a small sample size, the box has featured 1 legend, 1 440 prime and 1 420 prime. With legends added “prime” players got a boost but it’s only been for the 420 prime. Even over the weekend the top prime didn’t see a bump in the odds. I know odds get beat to death but repeatedly pulling a 420 prime isn’t any fun. A bump to the 440 prime rate would really be ideal. Also, I just don’t like that the weekend legends are reused but we have no way to get them to complete any weekday sets. There is also no clarification on if ALL legends will carry on for week long bonuses or if it’s just weekend ones. Given the odds are the same it would make sense to make them all week long bonuses otherwise there’s almost no point in chasing a weekday legend if weekend legends have a longer bonus shelf life. 
  • 2003cobra2003cobra Registered Users, Member 2,720 Posts
    I’m not sure if today’s boxes are the actual worst but they have to rank right up there. You’re almost guaranteed to get the 420 player on the pity timer but if you do get lucky and get the higher rated player it’s only 1 440 and a legend with less than idea skills combo. Please Glu do not let me use up my lucky pulls on these boxes! 
    2003cobra said:
    I’m not sure if today’s boxes are the actual worst but they have to rank right up there. You’re almost guaranteed to get the 420 player on the pity timer but if you do get lucky and get the higher rated player it’s only 1 440 and a legend with less than idea skills combo. Please Glu do not let me use up my lucky pulls on these boxes! 
    I was 105k gold and several hundred dollars into piazza and never pulled him. Got Clark from the gift this morning. Lefty pitcher and blowout skill? No thanks. I felt the same way after I got him. Of course no where to get piazza now either even though he’s in a set. It’s a really bad setup in my opinion, to not make a pretty big bonus player and set available. 
  • Base15Base15 Registered Users 504 Posts
    We argue too much about boxes. I made this guide to get us all on the same page. 

• tshea510tshea510 Registered Users, Member 1,786 Posts
    Base15 said:
    We argue too much about boxes. I made this guide to get us all on the same page. 

Is that a Big Chief tablet? Ahh,,,,memories
    Just a Silver team from the wrong side of the tracks, so what do I know? 🤷
  • mythicaldragonmythicaldragon Registered Users, Member 2,418 Posts
    Pretty disappointing legend release so far this year I mean don’t get me wrong I like piazza and Gwynn however sax is hardly a legend. I guess I expected when they rolled legends out this year they might kick things off with a new legend. When I seen Gwynn released as the first legend..piazza and then sax 🤮I knew it was gonna be another typical nothing new Tsb repeat dusty baker year 😕. 
    Pretty disappointing legend release so far this year I mean don’t get me wrong I like piazza and Gwynn however sax is hardly a legend. I guess I expected when they rolled legends out this year they might kick things off with a new legend. When I seen Gwynn released as the first legend..piazza and then sax 🤮I knew it was gonna be another typical nothing new Tsb repeat dusty baker year 😕. 
    I mean Glavine is new. But in general I do feel like the release of legends has been subpar. First off last week Wednesday releasing legends and taking the foils out was a bad move. Pushing them to a separate box was worse. Then the weekend legends are week long bonuses but can’t be obtained during the week? The worst part to me is guys like Clark and Sax, who have the same pathetic odds, are only bonus for 2 days. That doesn’t make any sense to me at all. As is, I won’t be playing during the week anymore, or atleast opening boxes. What’s the point of chasing another legend at the same price when he is a bonus for 2 days and-the weekend guys are a full week. Hopefully that gets changed. 
    I mean Glavine is new. But in general I do feel like the release of legends has been subpar. First off last week Wednesday releasing legends and taking the foils out was a bad move. Pushing them to a separate box was worse. Then the weekend legends are week long bonuses but can’t be obtained during the week? The worst part to me is guys like Clark and Sax, who have the same pathetic odds, are only bonus for 2 days. That doesn’t make any sense to me at all. As is, I won’t be playing during the week anymore, or atleast opening boxes. What’s the point of chasing another legend at the same price when he is a bonus for 2 days and-the weekend guys are a full week. Hopefully that gets changed. 
    Yes terrible decision making starting with the release of the first legend last Thursday removing foils, separate box, no way to obtain piazza etc..and of course Mondays release of Clark whom I forgot to mention. Clark being .7 pull rate then not being used as a bonus player beyond yesterday 🤷🏻‍♂️.? It just seems there’s no rhyme or reason to the whole mess right now. 
    However I think we see two legends in this weekends box one at 1% and the other being a foil at .5 with everything going back to “normal”. 
    IMO it all just comes down to lack of preparation no plan not thinking things through… it seems they a merely winging it at glu headquarters. 
  • drsmartassphddrsmartassphd Registered Users, Member 3,133 Posts

So again today in the "extra" box, we have yet another third baseman. How many Prime 3B is that this week? Wasn't there one this weekend as well as Monday? LOLOLOL

Greedy fricks

Yes, we are aware of the game having crashing issues in the middle of WoH, but we can't compensate you for the gold you lost at this time. This is done on a case by case basis. - TSB Customer Service

Wasn’t Hoyt a ATG last year? 
  • CanadaCubsCanadaCubs Registered Users, Member 1,235 Posts
    edited August 2021
    Wasn’t Hoyt a ATG last year? 
    Ya, but so was Cal Rip. I think Bob Gibson was almost one too, but Glu pulled his rank
    "If you can't beat them, report them"
  • xracmanxracman Registered Users, Member 666 Posts
    Fingers crossed today.  I've only pulled three 440s, non since Will Smith and 1 is a pitcher.  And no Legends.  Today's my day!  Hope the boxes are frickin awesome!!!!!!  Give me more 3Bs!
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    yea last year some of the later ATGS were regular legends early in the year.   Gywnn, Fingers, Goose, Nolan Ryan, Fergie, Ripken come to mind.  I think there was more too
    edited August 2021
    xracman said:
    Fingers crossed today.  I've only pulled three 440s, non since Will Smith and 1 is a pitcher.  And no Legends.  Today's my day!  Hope the boxes are frickin awesome!!!!!!  Give me more 3Bs!
    Pulled Ripken, Gardner (wanted/needed a lefty) and Votto PoTM (so far).  7K gold spent, Bash and free boxes.  My turn in the barrel!

PS:  420 primes are BS.
  • redlegs2018uredlegs2018u Registered Users, Member 1,048 Posts
    I got ridiculously lucky myself, within 20 250 boxes I got Rodon and Winker and I finally got to spend the 2M prime I was hoarding because I couldn’t land an OF and a SP I opened 70+ corn boxes and didn’t get Gardner.
  • JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    Todays box is probably the worst I've ever seen. Two primes needed to fill sets with a 1:170 box pull rate. 

• drsmartassphddrsmartassphd Registered Users, Member 3,133 Posts

Not only that, I just got a 1B this weekend with almost the exact skills....

Yesterday we had an RH OF with just about the same skills...

Too. Many. Players. With. Stupid. Odds. To. Acquire.

Yes, we are aware of the game having crashing issues in the middle of WoH, but we can't compensate you for the gold you lost at this time. This is done on a case by case basis. - TSB Customer Service

edited August 2021
    deleted

Blue cash in specials… 49.99 for 1.5 mil 🥴. 
    Never lol 😂 
  • whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts
    At this point isn’t the worse box today’s, until tomorrow’s is released?
    I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.  You mean the round and level? 
    - Blueleopard
  • 2003cobra2003cobra Registered Users, Member 2,720 Posts
    This is a post from 2019 and although the post is missing a decimal point or 2 it just shows that weve had some horrible box odds in the past. I also found some posts where legends were 1% and .7%.  
    2003cobra said:
    This is a post from 2019 and although the post is missing a decimal point or 2 it just shows that weve had some horrible box odds in the past. I also found some posts where legends were 1% and .7%.  
    What am I missing? The post is correct. That’s 13% chance for a prime or legend. But most importantly 3% for the legend not .2 to .7% like the current set up. Sure the prime pull rate is lower but frankly who care when you pull the lowest prime 99% of the time anyway. Point is the odds have gotten worse and the player pool/bonus sets/box amount has been expanded which means crappier pulls for more time and money invested. 
  • jmsorioles33jmsorioles33 Registered Users, Member 392 Posts
    2003cobra said:
    They should definitely be higher than like .2% for example, maybe for ATGs but not for 480 legends. I also think that the top tier primes should be significantly higher odds than they are now. Imo if you drop 100k gold on a box, pulling the 450s should be a lock.

One thing I will note for context though, I believe in 19 was the last year where D1 to D10 for a prime/legend cost 48k gold. With that setup they were able to offer higher odds knowing you were on the hook for a bunch of gold even if you hit on the first box. I want to say there also wasn't FP back then so you were on the hook for a ton of LXP too. Basically I think the odds should be higher (probably double the current odds) but I don't think we'll ever see them at 3% again unless there is a squeeze/cost baked in elsewhere. 
    2003cobra said:
    They should definitely be higher than like .2% for example, maybe for ATGs but not for 480 legends. I also think that the top tier primes should be significantly higher odds than they are now. Imo if you drop 100k gold on a box, pulling the 450s should be a lock.

One thing I will note for context though, I believe in 19 was the last year where D1 to D10 for a prime/legend cost 48k gold. With that setup they were able to offer higher odds knowing you were on the hook for a bunch of gold even if you hit on the first box. I want to say there also wasn't FP back then so you were on the hook for a ton of LXP too. Basically I think the odds should be higher (probably double the current odds) but I don't think we'll ever see them at 3% again unless there is a squeeze/cost baked in elsewhere. 
    I believe that was TSB18. TSB19 was the first year it did not cost gold to level throughout diamond. Also, in 19 what is now medium field pass was added, and later small pass. Maybe large pass was too but I know field pass got introduced in 19 at some point. 
  • jmsorioles33jmsorioles33 Registered Users, Member 392 Posts
    I believe that was TSB18. TSB19 was the first year it did not cost gold to level throughout diamond. Also, in 19 what is now medium field pass was added, and later small pass. Maybe large pass was too but I know field pass got introduced in 19 at some point. 
    Ah, I couldn't remember which one, they all blend together. Bring on the 3% legends!!!
    Ah, I couldn't remember which one, they all blend together. Bring on the 3% legends!!!

edited August 2021
    3% legend odds was weekend box too btw. I know for a fact that weekday legend was 7% at one point, because I remember a 490 vsRHP/LateInnings Jim Edmonds that was released that was 7% to pull him. Reason I remember is because I opened over 100 boxes to get him, when the odds would have made it 14 boxes on average. I remember thinking how ridiculous that was back then, but now.................................................................................................

EDIT: Was searching the 19 forum to possibly find box odds screenshot, but wow, soooo many Edmonds posts, guess we liked that version of him a lot! haha: https://communities.glu.com/tap-sports-baseball-2019/search?Search=edmonds
  • dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    @jalapenocubbies can you guys not address this in the dev chat. I understand the need to milk the users but the time has passed. This is the same shit that happens every single year. Then they come out with a special announcement saying "super rates" or "we heard your concerns"... However, each year they revert back to their old ways. Could say the same about loyalty boxes, last year they agreed to raise the amount of daily boxes, and then this year back to last year models. Its the same shit when it comes to everything else. This year its even worse because it now takes x5 more cash to level skills on players then it did before.

Im not trying to single you out either, it goes for everyone in that chat and I've mentioned it to them as well.

"Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
    edited August 2021
    I know box odds is an ongoing topic in that chat, and I also know that the devs have basically said "well that's the main ask in every mobile game blah blah blah" 

Well the problem with that is literally zero other reputable/mentionable mobile games have odds that are this terrible. I just played some other games recently to get Tapjoy rewards, and the top prize in boxes/crates in those games were as high as 8 percent in some of them. TSB is the most predatory offender I've encountered when it comes to prize odds. It's not just bad, its like 20 times worse when compared to other games.