Keepers into new season

ROWDYONESROWDYONES Registered Users, Member 12 Posts
Seeing a bit of everything regarding keepers for a new season, but not addressing whether it would be wise to keep a pitcher over a hitter as one of your selections.  Any thoughts?
Prev1

Comments

• 2020KC2020KC Registered Users, Member 711 Posts
    you get 3 hitters and 1 pitcher.
    you can't spell deteriorate without detroit
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    2020KC said:
    you get 3 hitters and 1 pitcher.
    Or 2 hitters and 2 pitchers 😁 @ROWDYONES it depends on how you play. If you're diamond, two keeper pitchers could very well play for you all year whereas your keeper bats could end up riding the pine for a lot of the season (they also have their value and could stay in your lineup all season, but think of how often you level new bats vs new arms). 
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • 2003cobra2003cobra Registered Users, Member 2,720 Posts
    Aren’t the 4 players for vip only and non-vip only get 3? If he’s not a vip then he doesn’t really have to worry about that decision. It would be 2 hitters and 1 pitcher. Then the decision becomes starter or closer. 
    2003cobra said:
    Aren’t the 4 players for vip only and non-vip only get 3? If he’s not a vip then he doesn’t really have to worry about that decision. It would be 2 hitters and 1 pitcher. Then the decision becomes starter or closer. 
    Yeah you're probably right, I constantly forget about the VIP factor. Bigger impact - starter. Longevity - closer. 
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • samthemansamtheman Registered Users, Member 686 Posts
    I took a starter and a RP over this year. If I could do it over again I’d just take the reliever and bring another bat.
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    Everyone’s situation is different, but I’d advise on waiting to see what the moments will look like next year(the base ones) before committing to keepers. In general, I’d never advise taking a reliever over a starter, but whatever is fun is always the right choice. 
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • 2020KC2020KC Registered Users, Member 711 Posts
    I forgot the vip vs non..my bad bro.
    you can't spell deteriorate without detroit
    I took a reliever as an experiment and I was not happy with my decision and I won’t do it again. 
  • MetsicansMetsicans Registered Users, Member 1,046 Posts
    My keeper Gagne is still (by far) my best reliever. So even though he has only a handful of saves, I’m still ok with the decision to keep him. 
    DFBB said:
    Everyone’s situation is different, but I’d advise on waiting to see what the moments will look like next year(the base ones) before committing to keepers. In general, I’d never advise taking a reliever over a starter, but whatever is fun is always the right choice. 
    Definitely depends on how someone plays, the main reason I like to lean towards a reliever is 1. I'll level starters over relievers all day, and 2. they'll be used heavily earlier in the game to come in and save the day when the weakling bxp arms are getting wrecked. 

My weakest SP right now is a 540 with skills capped at 30 each, and my weakest SR is a 500 with skills capped at 30 each. As it stands, 540x1.3x1.3= 912, 500x1.3x1.3= 845. 570 keeper Whitey Ford on my inactives? 570x1.2x1.2= 820 aka weaker than a 500 ovr with skills at 30. 

In other words, a keeper reliever would still be weaker than my weakest reliever currently- but it would be a much closer race than it is with my SP's 🤷
  • ToughthundercatsToughthundercats Registered Users, Member 1,959 Posts
    2003cobra said:
    I took a reliever as an experiment and I was not happy with my decision and I won’t do it again. 
    Yeah I did the same, helped me out early on but as I got better starting pitching my keeper reliever became more and more obsolete to now my bullpen rarely ever gets used. A keeper starter imo is the way to go.
  • sullipa8sullipa8 Registered Users, Member 564 Posts
    edited December 2021
    Right, my bullpen is rarely used now. In fact, if my bullpen pitchers get in the game now, I’m probably losing to a team that drastically overmatched me. Even BXP pitchers early on do fine if you are getting the top ones. Then the POTM can carry you for a while. Plus with ice wraps, you can also use your keeper to start when you need him. And if he’s good enough to throw a CG, you don’t need the bullpen. That’s how I’ve approached it the past few years.
    DFBB said:
    Definitely depends on how someone plays, the main reason I like to lean towards a reliever is 1. I'll level starters over relievers all day, and 2. they'll be used heavily earlier in the game to come in and save the day when the weakling bxp arms are getting wrecked. 

My weakest SP right now is a 540 with skills capped at 30 each, and my weakest SR is a 500 with skills capped at 30 each. As it stands, 540x1.3x1.3= 912, 500x1.3x1.3= 845. 570 keeper Whitey Ford on my inactives? 570x1.2x1.2= 820 aka weaker than a 500 ovr with skills at 30. 

In other words, a keeper reliever would still be weaker than my weakest reliever currently- but it would be a much closer race than it is with my SP's 🤷
    I usually don’t rely on keepers beyond the first few months so I make my decisions based on what I think I’ll need early on. 
  • CanadaCubsCanadaCubs Registered Users, Member 1,235 Posts
    I will say that Davey Johnson lasted well into the year for me. But skills like H/H or B/O don’t age well…especially at the beginning of the new season
    "If you can't beat them, report them"
  • whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts
    Brought over a starter the last 2 years and never leveled him.  It just always felt like I got more bang for my xp by focusing on hitting early.  Maybe I’ll try in 2022.
    I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.  You mean the round and level? 
    - Blueleopard
    Must be a slow day in tsb if we are talking keeper strategy and it’s not even Christmas yet. 
    whynot said:
    Brought over a starter the last 2 years and never leveled him.  It just always felt like I got more bang for my xp by focusing on hitting early.  Maybe I’ll try in 2022.
    This a great example of how different play styles will mean different priorities. If you plan on staying/chilling in lower tiers for awhile, I'd def prioritize as many bats as possible.
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    What I've learned from keepers is the difference between 1 to the other is extremely minimal.   Sure maybe one guy has a slightly higher hit rating or slightly higher stuff rating then someone else but at the end of the day thats gonna have minimal impact.

If I can say two things one strategic and one non strategic it would be:
    -Take hitters who skills translate to the mode you like best (CVC/EB, Season mode, Walk off, home run battle)
    -Take guys that you just like using, like as players or just have fun with in general.   Like I said most of these guys are gonna be roughly the same, so why not just choose players you like

Hope that helps
    DFBB said:
    DFBB said:

I usually don’t rely on keepers beyond the first few months so I make my decisions based on what I think I’ll need early on. 
    Probably the best way to go. 
    I tend to base my decision on the positions that are harder to fill. 2b, SS and catcher are usually my picks. You can use the filters in the team collections to help decide which positions had the fewest top tier player released. But I’m not going to take a player from those positions if he’s not a top tier guy. 
  • whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts
    2003cobra said:
    I tend to base my decision on the positions that are harder to fill. 2b, SS and catcher are usually my picks. You can use the filters in the team collections to help decide which positions had the fewest top tier player released. But I’m not going to take a player from those positions if he’s not a top tier guy. 
    Got to say I also followed this strategy, made sense.  Of course it always backfired!  If I brought a SS then I would certainly pull great SS like it was a fire sale!  Didn’t matter what position it was, if I brought em I’m pullin em.  🤷🏻‍♂️🤣
    I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.  You mean the round and level? 
    - Blueleopard
  • ToughthundercatsToughthundercats Registered Users, Member 1,959 Posts
    edited December 2021
    whynot said:
    2003cobra said:
    Got to say I also followed this strategy, made sense.  Of course it always backfired!  If I brought a SS then I would certainly pull great SS like it was a fire sale!  Didn’t matter what position it was, if I brought em I’m pullin em.  🤷🏻‍♂️🤣
    Same here brought over a SS and made ML a 2nd baseman and bam all year pulling SS and second basemen. Although I did pull Phillips a little while back he actually has planted ML to WoH duties only, for now. I couldn't pass up the switch hitting 2x RoB. Both of my keepers at third (ATG Chipper) and short (ATG Cal) are still in my lineup being 30 points off the curve not any reason to pull them unless it's for a new ATG.
  • jmsorioles33jmsorioles33 Registered Users, Member 392 Posts
    I took a reliever this year (610 Wagner) and it's worked out well for me the way that I play. My strategy early in the year is get my team to the bare minimum to advance to diamond while accumulating resources that I can maximize when I buy FP and do my jump weekend to diamond. Wagner was so good early on (especially his arm rating) that I could stick him at RP1 and be able to squeak by with four weak starters (keeper ace) and only one other leveled reliever. As the year has progressed, Wagner has never left my bullpen and has allowed me to focus my LXP on bats that are just more fun to use. I don't spend a ton (around $200 this year) so I have to be selective with the legends I level.

Two other things that I saw mentioned:
    1. No way I'm locking in keepers until we know the base team moments. As an example, if Babe gets RISP again in 22', he's not even in the keeper conversation for me, but if he gets first pitch he's a lock.
    2. I put a lot of thought into keepers, but at the end of the year if it's a max rated guy, the only way it can go poorly is if they have terrible skills and/or moments (like 2 outs). Otherwise it's all about the same.
    2a. ATG Goose Gossage is the only exception to this from 2020. As a long reliever he essentially allowed you to take two elite relievers into 21' for the price of one (still sad I wasn't able to pull him). 
    Keep in mind that whatever your favorite event happens to be(EB is my favorite), early in the game, WoH pays the bills. It also remains to be seen how matchups are determined in '22. Usually, at the beginning, matchups get brutal for those that race to diamond. Then, things get adjusted and become more 'reasonable.' 
    DFBB said:
    Keep in mind that whatever your favorite event happens to be(EB is my favorite), early in the game, WoH pays the bills. It also remains to be seen how matchups are determined in '22. Usually, at the beginning, matchups get brutal for those that race to diamond. Then, things get adjusted and become more 'reasonable.' 
    @DFBB would you value three keeper bats over two pitchers earlier in the year for a diamond push?
    DFBB said:
    @DFBB would you value three keeper bats over two pitchers earlier in the year for a diamond push?
    Personally, I would because I’d grind WoH as my primary source of xp. I also think, early in the year, it’s easier to get ‘serviceable’ pitchers than it is to get great bats. 
    DFBB said:
    DFBB said:
    Personally, I would because I’d grind WoH as my primary source of xp. I also think, early in the year, it’s easier to get ‘serviceable’ pitchers than it is to get great bats. 
    That would also build up bonus games, cash, and ice wraps (I think, which would help wrap a keeper ace when needed). Makes a lot of sense, I guess I just have a thing for arms. Especially that Mariano Rivera fella
    I haven’t been diamond in a couple of years of years but when when I had Mo as an ATG it really didn’t matter because my rotation was stacked and he barely pitched. I’ll take a starter every time as a keeper now but a reliever wasn’t a horrible decision either 
  • CanadaCubsCanadaCubs Registered Users, Member 1,235 Posts
    This is from my reliever Wagner. He’s off my roster now, but he did see a lot of action in the first bit. I don’t have a favorite game mode, but I’ll be sticking with 2 bats, 2 pitchers for 22’. WOH is 100% my least favorite game. Another thing to consider is if they rejuvenate PP. Fishful thinking 🐟 
    "If you can't beat them, report them"
    This is from my reliever Wagner. He’s off my roster now, but he did see a lot of action in the first bit. I don’t have a favorite game mode, but I’ll be sticking with 2 bats, 2 pitchers for 22’. WOH is 100% my least favorite game. Another thing to consider is if they rejuvenate PP. Fishful thinking 🐟 

yeah WOH and playoff pitch are not for me. earlier in the year its pretty unavoidable unfortunately, unless you stay in the silver realms.