Handedness Advantage

udkdonudkdon Registered Users, Member 6 Posts

Any guesses on how much a left-handed batter is improved when facing a right-handed pitcher? Or a R batter facing a LHP? Since the increase isn’t displayed, like a skill boost or X-factor boost, I can only guess. Is the handedness advantage worth +5%? +10%? What do you think.

Thanks

Comments

• CanadaCubsCanadaCubs Registered Users, Member 1,235 Posts
    Honestly, only the devs/programmers would know. There’s no visual quantified boost, whether or not it exists. Naturally, most of us alter our lineups based on the pitchers’ handedness. Does it matter? Maybe, maybe not. But I believe it does.
    "If you can't beat them, report them"
  • navyjack77navyjack77 Registered Users, Member 1,299 Posts
    Here is just an example of the LL Bryce Harper at D10 with over 200K at bats. Double blowout skills with his BA against RHP slightly better than against LHPs.
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    udkdon said:

Any guesses on how much a left-handed batter is improved when facing a right-handed pitcher? Or a R batter facing a LHP? Since the increase isn’t displayed, like a skill boost or X-factor boost, I can only guess. Is the handedness advantage worth +5%? +10%? What do you think.

Thanks

It's been awhile, but it's not difficult to reverse engineer it and compare stats. For example, if a right-handed batter has 10% skill vs rhp and he's batting similarly vs left and righty pitchers, then it's reasonable to surmize that the platoon advantage is worth 10%. Fwiw, when I make lineup decisons(Eb/cvc), I value the platoon advantage at around 11-12%.
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • CanadaCubsCanadaCubs Registered Users, Member 1,235 Posts
    DFBB said:
    udkdon said:

Thanks

It's been awhile, but it's not difficult to reverse engineer it and compare stats. For example, if a right-handed batter has 10% skill vs rhp and he's batting similarly vs left and righty pitchers, then it's reasonable to surmize that the platoon advantage is worth 10%. Fwiw, when I make lineup decisons(Eb/cvc), I value the platoon advantage at around 11-12%.
    This is the perfect example of pitcher skills not meaning anything 
    "If you can't beat them, report them"
  • xracmanxracman Registered Users, Member 666 Posts
    Hilarious to point to .867 BA vs .856 BA as being an example of being "better" vs one hand then the other.   

It's fun to set up your batting order for LHP/RHP match ups because it make you think you're actually playing a baseball game.
  • dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
    edited February 2022
    DFBB said:
    udkdon said:

Thanks

This is the perfect example of pitcher skills not meaning anything 

I would argue they DO mean something but not in the way one would suspect, or hope. I have noticed Gagne with 2xLI skills (always "active" when he enters game) being overused though I have Larsen w/2x1K skills who is never chosen at CL with Gagne at SU. They're both at 22/22 I believe, for whatever reason, and Larsen has a higher xfactor than Gagne. I put active in quotes cause skills don't do anything but raise TS but the ratings comparison of both pitchers (Larsen is far superior to Gagne, btw) isn't even a consideration for whatever logic is driving this thing because Larsen's skills are never "active" to start an inning. It's so bad (the game engine decision making) that 580 prime Price will remain in the game instead of Larsen coming in if Price has an active skill, which in that case a RHB must have lead off the inning. Price was moved to SU and Gagne out to try and get Larsen to pitch. But the game still refused to put Larsen on the mound.
  • samthemansamtheman Registered Users, Member 686 Posts
    Before skills were introduced the platoon advantage in the game appeared to me to be highly exaggerated. LHB were the best players and the most valuable skill early on was vs RHP. This was because you face RHP at least 70% of the time. With some of the skills available now I think the handedness of the batter doesn’t matter as much. So I focus more on skills when choosing players to level.
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    xracman said:
    Hilarious to point to .867 BA vs .856 BA as being an example of being "better" vs one hand then the other.   

It's fun to set up your batting order for LHP/RHP match ups because it make you think you're actually playing a baseball game.
    not really sure what do to tell you.   One of the game main points of the game is too increase runs which in turn increases points.   So every little bit matters in that sense.
    samtheman said:
    Before skills were introduced the platoon advantage in the game appeared to me to be highly exaggerated. LHB were the best players and the most valuable skill early on was vs RHP. This was because you face RHP at least 70% of the time. With some of the skills available now I think the handedness of the batter doesn’t matter as much. So I focus more on skills when choosing players to level.
    It really just depends on how much you value club points(common theme) and what's 'acceptable' for you. 
  • MetsicansMetsicans Registered Users, Member 1,046 Posts
    Anecdotally, my team is pretty strong, and when I come up against 660 RHPs, my righties are borderline useless. When I look at the stats, Teddy and Musial (lefties with first pitch) are often the only guys getting hits. 

If I try to play an inning myself, the righties just get destroyed by 660 rhps. 

Also, living legend Kershaw and his hot skills dominate. He held my team scoreless for 25 innings in a tourney final this morning, before Schmidt (a righty) finally took him yard. The fact that he was so effective for 25 innings tells me that pitcher skills do in fact work. 
    Metsicans said:
    Also, living legend Kershaw and his hot skills dominate. He held my team scoreless for 25 innings in a tourney final this morning, before Schmidt (a righty) finally took him yard. The fact that he was so effective for 25 innings tells me that pitcher skills do in fact work. 
    ....Or maybe your bats aren't leveled high enough(skills). Either way, I commend you on actually trying things out.
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    I'm in the camp of a .02 difference in batting average being good enough 😆 effort vs reward is different for everyone. Figuring out moments and lineups for each event is enough effort for me, I won't take it the extra step and change moments for tournaments and extra bases and this and that, or switching to an all lefty lineup or all righty lineup. Blah 
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    Hell, I barely even change x factors anymore
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
    Metsicans said:
    Anecdotally, my team is pretty strong, and when I come up against 660 RHPs, my righties are borderline useless. When I look at the stats, Teddy and Musial (lefties with first pitch) are often the only guys getting hits. 

If I try to play an inning myself, the righties just get destroyed by 660 rhps. 

I'm gonna chalk that up to both kershaw being awesome (for once) and lefty pitcher bias conspiracy.
    Hell, I barely even change x factors anymore

Yeah i have a hard time with it at times though my goto EB lineup is phils and RHB dodgers (all w/bg xfactor I never change) with max3k/phils moments if there's a righty in. CVC, I can't be bothered really. Just sim away. Poorly too, I might add.
  • MetsicansMetsicans Registered Users, Member 1,046 Posts
    DFBB said:
    Metsicans said:
    ....Or maybe your bats aren't leveled high enough(skills). Either way, I commend you on actually trying things out.
    All of my bats are 22/30 skills. But most of my righties have skills that only activate with a hit (hot), in a blowout, or if someone is on base. So in most cases it was a situation where the pitcher had two skills active and I had none. My TS is around 392k.