ATG Relievers

jory1jory1 Registered Users, Member 100 Posts
Hello,

I’m new to the forums but have been an active player since TSB16. I’ve been impressed with the evolving versions and additions of new legends and All Time Greats. I have every ATG, and I’m kind of annoyed at the fact that there’s like 10 Outfielders and only 1 reliever(that you had to buy). I know that last year Glu added ATG relievers (Goose, Fingers, Hoffman, Hoyt) in the EB boxes throughout the last month. Does anyone know if Glu will do this for keeper purposes? Seems like time is running out. 

Thanks. 

Comments

• retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    I hope so. Having a reliever as THE atg for 2 weeks would stink for point purposes, but making a few available outside of purchase would be nice. Especially a long reliever 🤤
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    I would say it’s tough to base much of last year. Every game is different.   Wouldn’t suprise me for more relievers to drop but it’s also possible that it’s purchase only 
  • scostelloscostello Registered Users, Member 44 Posts
    Stupid question.  What is a relievers value in TSB?  I mean I practically pay zero attention to my relief pitchers.  Once you get your starters set and leveled they NEVER pitch.  Outside of trying to use them for bonus points if you happen to get an RP why even bother with them?  I for sure never thought to use one of my keeper spots on one.

Not judging at all, just really want to know.
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    edited February 2022
    scostello said:
    Stupid question.  What is a relievers value in TSB?  I mean I practically pay zero attention to my relief pitchers.  Once you get your starters set and leveled they NEVER pitch.  Outside of trying to use them for bonus points if you happen to get an RP why even bother with them?  I for sure never thought to use one of my keeper spots on one.

It really just depends on how you approach the game. If you're a casual player, you can pretty much ignore relievers. For those that appreciate eye candy and/or want to win every single game, closers are a nice luxury. 
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
    DFBB said:
    It really just depends on how you approach the game. If you're a casual player, you can pretty much ignore relievers. For those that appreciate eye candy and/or want to win every single game, closers are a nice luxury. 
    They’re also much more useful earlier in the year if you go diamond and can’t afford to lose tournaments too often. As the year goes on, they become less and less useful 
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
    scostello said:

DFBB said it best.   But in a game where most of the top players value points over anything else, relievers and pitchers in general dont move the needle a ton.    

In terms of team building they are more rare and usually are the weakest spots in terms of overall so people yearn to upgrade them for that reason.   

But yeah at the end of the day its basically does window dressing mean much to you
  • jory1jory1 Registered Users, Member 100 Posts
    DFBB said:
    They’re also much more useful earlier in the year if you go diamond and can’t afford to lose tournaments too often. As the year goes on, they become less and less useful 
    You hit the nail on the head retirepujols. If I brought over a nice LR along with a SP to TSB22, then I could go to Diamond earlier. So far, the best available LR to take is 600 Max Gossage from months ago.
    Thanks for the answers!  I'm an F2P player on the casual side of things.  I play every day but rarely to I play in the top 100 in any CVC or compete in Prime.  Once every few months I'll try and get the top spot in EB because I have enough coins.    

I basically play to get free boxes and build my team so I can win in WOH and CVC.  For those I don't need pitching at all really.  The PlayOff pitch mode is boring and takes WAY to long to cycle.

I forget I have RPs some times LOL
  • tshea510tshea510 Registered Users, Member 1,786 Posts
    scostello said:
    Thanks for the answers!  I'm an F2P player on the casual side of things.  I play every day but rarely to I play in the top 100 in any CVC or compete in Prime.  Once every few months I'll try and get the top spot in EB because I have enough coins.    

I basically play to get free boxes and build my team so I can win in WOH and CVC.  For those I don't need pitching at all really.  The PlayOff pitch mode is boring and takes WAY to long to cycle.

I forget I have RPs some times LOL
    Way to long to cycle????? I autoplay through 1st 7 pitchers each level, doesn’t take me long at all. But I only play if resources are good and lately, except for the 125K of Pxp, have been 💩
    Just a Silver team from the wrong side of the tracks, so what do I know? 🤷
  • jalapenocubbiesjalapenocubbies Registered Users, Member 1,057 Posts
    scostello said:

DFBB said it best.   But in a game where most of the top players value points over anything else, relievers and pitchers in general dont move the needle a ton.    

In terms of team building they are more rare and usually are the weakest spots in terms of overall so people yearn to upgrade them for that reason.   

But yeah at the end of the day its basically does window dressing mean much to you
    Pitchers actually make a really big difference this year than years past. Abbot this weekend with the set is 450k per strikeout, in years past he was maybe half of that. Their issue has always been they are capped(most of the time) at 27ks. They put a lot of points up now, but it costs wraps. But relievers still are a struggle unless you do the old trick of all b1 pitchers etc. 
    edited February 2022
    This is fair.   I just meant their ceiling is fairly limited given the 27ks like you said and the fact that starters obviously can only be used one at time (1/3 of your set).    And yeah wraps are huge.   I remember only being able to that kind of thing like once a month because they would go so quick.

Edit: meant this as reply to your post @jalapenocubbies but for some reason it wouldnt let me post it that way
    edited February 2022
    tshea510 said:
    Way to long to cycle????? I autoplay through 1st 7 pitchers each level, doesn’t take me long at all. But I only play if resources are good and lately, except for the 125K of Pxp, have been 💩
    I'm sure you are right, but since I barely pay attention to pitchers I never have good enough ones to autoplay the levels.  I have to manual play most.  
    scostello said:
    tshea510 said:
    I'm sure you are right, but since I barely pay attention to pitchers I never have good enough ones to autoplay the levels.  I have to manual play most.  
    Never have good enough ones? Now I’m REALLY curious. I don’t recall EVER chasing a pitcher after the 1st few weeks, if I did it at all. I’ve got a great staff that all fell in my lap from free boxes, mostly. At this point in the season, how do you NOT have a great staff? 🤷‍♂️
  • jory1jory1 Registered Users, Member 100 Posts
    tshea510 said:
    scostello said:
    tshea510 said:
    Never have good enough ones? Now I’m REALLY curious. I don’t recall EVER chasing a pitcher after the 1st few weeks, if I did it at all. I’ve got a great staff that all fell in my lap from free boxes, mostly. At this point in the season, how do you NOT have a great staff? 🤷‍♂️
    I understand that a majority of players do not care about pitching late in the year and could care even less for ATG relievers. My initial post on this thread was not meant to make other TSB players care about ATG relievers, as you all have made great points for why we shouldn't care. My point is merely based on confusion, in that Glu made a Lee Smith in a Tuesday box a couple weeks back. Why not make him an ATG? From a business perspective, certain people, like myself, would have chased him if he had been an ATG. I didn't spend a dime that day, and I enjoy a good bullpen. If Glu wanted to make more money, they should consider releasing more ATGs. We've had about 7 more ATG's by this point last year (Whitey Ford, Christy Matthewson, Jimmie Foxx, Hoyt Wilhelm, Enos Slaughter, Trevor Hoffman, Rollie Fingers, and Goose Gossage). I won't mention that every ATG has been carried over from last year (yes, I consider Gibson and Paige carried over, since they were on '18 and '19, respectively). If I recall correctly, Nolan Ryan, Fergie Jenkins, Tony Gwynn, and Joe Morgan were released in the last week of '20. That's 12 more total ATG's than this year (and a complete team)! Now, granted this year isn't over, but this seems a bit unsettling from someone who's played since '16. Thank you for your time.
    tshea510 said:

Sure I get decent pitchers, I just never level them up past gold.  All my resources go to hitters.  My best pitcher by far is my keeper Whitey Ford since he was cheap to level in the beginning.  Outside of that I basically have Regular Xp Pitchers who just got leveled as far as repulls would take them.

So you see, it's not easy beating Payoff Pitch with mostly "200" XP pitchers these days.
    scostello said:
    tshea510 said:

Sure I get decent pitchers, I just never level them up past gold.  All my resources go to hitters.  My best pitcher by far is my keeper Whitey Ford since he was cheap to level in the beginning.  Outside of that I basically have Regular Xp Pitchers who just got leveled as far as repulls would take them.

So you see, it's not easy beating Payoff Pitch with mostly "200" XP pitchers these days.
    What level are you?

What level are you?
    I am Platinum.  First year there.  I like the challenge of trying to gain enough resources to level up my players.  Diamond was WAYYYY out of my league last year.  For the way I like to play TSB I think platinum is my sweet spot.   
    edited February 2022
    scostello said:

What level are you?
    I am Platinum.  First year there.  I like the challenge of trying to gain enough resources to level up my players.  Diamond was WAYYYY out of my league last year.  For the way I like to play TSB I think platinum is my sweet spot.   
    Are the prime pitchers in your tournament boxes? Would be way better than bxp scrubs lol
    edited February 2022
    scostello said:

What level are you?
    Are the prime pitchers in your tournament boxes? Would be way better than bxp scrubs lol
    yes 1.5%, guarantee at 65 boxes
    scostello said:
    tshea510 said:

I’m Silver and have zero problems with Payoff Pitch so I can’t relate. I just wish the rewards made it more desirable to play.
    tshea510 said:
    scostello said:
    tshea510 said:

I’m Silver and have zero problems with Payoff Pitch so I can’t relate. I just wish the rewards made it more desirable to play.
    Yea im hopeful that changes in 2022, I think the potential is there.    

The other side of the coin tho is that I can see it being very similar to Slugfest.    Requires a little time and a little skill so therefore probably gets ignored by a majority
    scostello said:

What level are you?
    yes 1.5%, guarantee at 65 boxes
    Gotcha. Even at 65 boxes for the guarantee, aiming for weekend tournament boxes you’ve got 5 days to play for as many repulls/ free levels as you want. Definitely better than 200 ovr bxp guys
    tshea510 said:
    scostello said:
    tshea510 said:

Yea im hopeful that changes in 2022, I think the potential is there.    

The other side of the coin tho is that I can see it being very similar to Slugfest.    Requires a little time and a little skill so therefore probably gets ignored by a majority
    A couple of weeks back, there was 125K Pxp for 10 cycles which for me was nice because I needed that and it was easy to get. But haven’t played since.