Options

I really enjoyed this weekend's contest

PythonDjangoPythonDjango Registered Users 234 Posts
The contest coincided with the v1.2.1 rollout, and was a blast. I didn't do as well as I'd have liked after buying equipment to be competitive, but I learned a lot. First off, I needed to buy better guns to play the new "Global Assault" level. Previously, I'd made do with the Longshot 50 and Kraken AK-200 rifles, with no heavy gun or Tesla rifle. I'd spent some money on guns previously, only to have them become obsolete within a couple days of campaigning, but those two could be purchased with cash instead of gold, and with upgrades to full power, had gotten me through the Europe campaign and lots of PVP action.

For the contest, I bought the SR-308 Rapier and Demon H17 rifles; as with my previous mainstays, they were available as cash purchases, and were playable. However, I decided that I was willing to part with some real-world money to enhance my PVP opportunities, so I bought the $50 "Huge Gold Package" to buy the Rapier Elite/Demon Elite pack from the store. They're great guns, but that wasn't really my best purchase option, hindsight being 20/20. After a while, I realized that the half-price deal they had on the Zeus Elite Tesla rifle was exceptional, so I spent another $20 on a "Large Gold Package" so that I could afford it too. My best option would have been to buy the Zeus Elite instead of the Rapier and Demon Elites, then buy a enough Pro Medkits Packs to get the Genie assault rifle as a bonus -- it has the same stats as the Demon Elite, and I can switch to the Zeus Elite for any long-range missions. As it is, I ended up with a Genie that I'll probably never use -- same for the Hellhound I won for finishing in the top 50; it would have been an upgrade from the Demon H17, but not from the Elite.

The Tesla rifle's "Pierces Cover" feature almost makes long range missions too easy. I no longer have to play whack-a-merc as they dodge up and down from panels or behind columns -- I just shoot right through them. Coupled with the Zeus Elite's power level, it's the ultimate weapon. Also, when I bought it, I didn't realize how many diamonds I'd get from all those previous campaign Tesla "Challenge Missions" I could pick up, but they've really come in handy for upgrading the Zeus and my base.

On one hand, I feel like I've bought my way into being competitive, but I'm pretty sure that I'm not alone, and I've enjoyed this game enough that I don't mind paying something to the developer for it. Anyway, that's my story about this weekend; I raided several folks in PVP and was successfully raided by a few -- all in good fun.