Options

RE: 10/6/2015 (on Amazon) latest game update feedback

PythonDjangoPythonDjango Registered Users 234 Posts
First off, the good: The global chat "mute" and "permanently block" features are an excellent addition. they allow individuals to permanently stop seeing comments from obnoxious or abusive players on a case-by-case basis. However, players who find that kind of chat with one another entertaining can continue to do so. It's an elegant solution to a problem that's plagued the game since chat was introduced. There's even a setting to unblock permanently blocked players should you want to give someone a second chance. Kudos for adding this feature.

Additionally, a new gold spend confirmation setting is a great idea; i haven't tested it yet, but I've spent gold when I didn't intend to in the past because the upgrade diamond and gold price buttons are so close together on smaller screens.

====

I'll jump to the ugly next, since unfortunately, the bad list will be long and "ugly issues" are a huge problem. One of my clan members has reported through our out-of-game clan Facebook group that his account (Birdman from clan ComeGetSome) appears to have been lost and he's been reset to starting over at level 1 when this update occurred. He's contacted customer support, but I know that a number of people have lost their CK:S accounts unrecoverably in the past. I see lack of a reliable account backup process as a #1 problem with this game. #2 is poor, out-of-date or even often nonexistent documentation. There should be documented backup, restore for each supported platform.

Additionally, there should be a standard, documented process about how to manually initiate an update that isn't happening automatically -- I was locked out of the game for 7 hours after several others in my clan had gotten back into the game, and was nearly to the point of uninstalling "on device" and then pulling from the "cloud". I was getting desperate, though I suspect that action has a high probability of causing account loss, but I've had other players tell me that's what they did and it was successful. A manual update process needs to be documented (as well as reviewed and updated when necessary) on the forum, where players can access it when they're locked out of the game.

====

The bad: I'll number these because there's a few.
1) Instability - I know that this is an issue for Android, because different platforms have different OS versions and differences in how they behave even when they have the same OS version, but a couple members of my clan are constantly posting in clan chat that the game keeps crashing on them, often in PvP, which breaks their streaks in global events, and hurts their ability to compete even in league events. This isn't a new problem, but seems to be worse since the update. I don't know if the hardware requirements are increasing, but if a player won't be able to play with a first generation Kindle Fire or other older device, that should be documented.

Personally, I've had a couple crash/restarts when transitioning from one campaign mission to the next and one PvP lockup (I stood, then couldn't move or duck, about 15 seconds later I was dead), but overall, I consider myself lucky.

2) This may just be the way things will be from now on, but I used to get assigned to smaller silver league "rooms". but was always in a 30-person room in the last league event. This makes competing for parts harder, but I can deal with it. Still, some notification about what's changing with each release would be nice.

3) Clan chat history isn't displaying nearly as much as it used to. It appears to clear out frequently, so I can't review past posts for context when a new post is made after I load the tab. Often when I click on the clan chat tab, no past posts are displayed at all.

4) Facebook integration - I don't know anyone who likes this feature. My only FB friend is my mother, and I'm not going to recommend CK:S to her, no matter how much you nag me to. Also, I don't like having to log into Facebook when the game starts (or the restart that happens as soon as I do). If you tell me that account data will be backed up on FB to accommodate backup/restore, I'll change my tune, but I'm pretty sour on it right now.

Also, the login notice said there was a gift for logging in, neither I nor anyone else in my clan detected getting anything, what's the gift?

5) Ongoing issues, like pages and pages of drone components remain (i currently have 468 pages). The obvious solution would seem to be "stacking" un-upgraded level 1 components for each type and base power level, like is done for drone XP modules. Maybe I don't understand the component implementation well enough to understand why this issue hasn't been addressed.

I'll also mention frame-rate lag as well, because if I don't, the next person will. It's gotten worse with the addition of bot drones, although I do appreciate the bump in diamond payouts.

Also, giving you your due, want to say that I really appreciate adding bots to PvP - I remember how frustrating those "No opponent can be found." messages were; that was a big "the good" from the past.

6) I would like to recommend that PvP matchups be based on equiped guns rather than owned guns -- new players often cripple themselves by buying or winning a gun that's too powerful for their level, so that they can no longer win PvPs, which limits their ability to recover by upgrading their base. To me, it simply makes more sense for the match difficulty to be based on what you're fighting with rather than what you own.

I've probably said enough; please consider my suggestions, maybe even comment about them.