Options

SERVER MAINTENANCE 24 February 2016

2Next

Comments

• Options
    amsoft2000amsoft2000 Registered Users 5,782 Posts
    The answer to performance is a relatively simple one. When you backup/restore, uninstall/reinstall ... what you're really doing is wiping ALL the game data and built up cache data that accumulates over time. What you really need is a good app that will clean this up for you OR you need to know exactly where this "junk" is being stored and manually deleting it's contents.

CONCERNED mentioned a before/after effect of 1.7GB vs 470MB; 1.2GB of "junk".

Junk is NEVER backed up and consequently will never be restored ... device cleaned.

Unfortunately, I have no idea where this data is stored on an Apple device. It's so routine for me to do this on Android, it's almost an unconscious "house keeping" sort of thing ... been doing it for years on servers, desktops, Windows and Linux. ALL operating systems suffer from this and there is no way around it.

If the FBI ever comes after you, it's prudent to know how to "clean" your phone, I would think.

Just as obvious (intuitive) is for developers to "clean up" after themselves using the code in the apps they write. But you must also realize, that is asking way too much from the GLUTONS. They won't even tell you where/why/how to clean this stuff up because they're a sadistic bunch.

Blaming GLU is only partially correct; the lion's share of the blame is all yours.

In short, you Applezoids really need to become technically familiar with your devices. Of course there's always the "hunt and peck" method of troubleshooting and eventually you will find an answer. You can always opt for the brute strength method to overcome obstacles, you know what I mean ... buy a new car when it runs out of gas.

Think of it this way, you spend hundreds of dollars on a superior device only to have it brought to it's knees by ignorance of how the device works. Sort of like trying to drive a Porche on four flat tires.
    ****************************************************************************
    I am offering 580 GOLD to anyone who can formulate a procedure for CKS housekeeping on IOS based devices that doesn't involve BACKUP/RESTORE or reinstallation. Yes 580 GOLD, that's 24.98 USD deposited into a PayPal account, checking account or snail mail delivery **GUARANTEED**
    ****************************************************************************
    CAN ANYONE tell me what the "i" stands for in iTunes, iPod, iPad, iPhone, iCloud, iMac, iBook, iOS ... yaada yaada yaada ... and do not tell me it's for INTERNET LMAO

*** SMILES ***
    Complex Minds Require Challenging Games ... SCORPION
  • Options
    Battery drain is not perfect but marginally better. So the verdict is in ... S.N.A.F.U.
  • Options
    concerned wrote: »
    CKS's performance was so bad on my iPad 4, that I'd did a backup and restore to my iPad Mini 3. What I found was just the opposite of what happened to Brad. The iPad Minis performance for a fresh CKS load is simply amazing. The video is flawless, with no lag whatsoever. If fact, I would rate the performance as the same that we had when we 1st started playing.

My assessment is that the performance increase is a combination for the optimization and also, before the backup and restore, CKS was using 1.7GB, right now, CKS is using only 470MB.

I can not begin to tell you how much more enjoyable CKS is to play when the controls respond and when I am able to actually move my target crosshairs around.

To be quite candid, I can't imagine playing at all if I couldn't center my crosshairs on a target :( So it's been 1/2 day now and the junk should start building up again because the junk comes from GLU. You'll need to do another backup/restore in another day or two ... hopefully the process doesn't take too long.

NOW ... my offer still remains on the table ... 580 GOLD to formulate a permanent solution. Surely there must be some ideas on how this could be accomplished? My technical expertise are at your disposal. HINT: one must be able to navigate the entire file system, including hidden files. Right now I have some free time on my hands; don't wait too long ... it won't always be that way :)

Anyone got an old iPad that's not being used? Send it to me and I'll fix your problem once and forever.
    Come on guys ... surely BRAD must know why there is a prefixed "i" on all Apple products.
    HINT #2: Steve Jobs started the trend with the iMac, in an attempt to differentiate it from "Mac".

Tunes
    Pod
    Pad
    Phone
    Cloud
    Mac
    Book
    OS
    etc.

Very creative names otherwise, don't you think?

*** SMILES ***
  • Options
    concernedconcerned Registered Users 814 Posts
    amsoft2000 wrote: »
    To be quite candid, I can't imagine playing at all if I couldn't center my crosshairs on a target :( So it's been 1/2 day now and the junk should start building up again because the junk comes from GLU. You'll need to do another backup/restore in another day or two ... hopefully the process doesn't take too long.

NOW ... my offer still remains on the table ... 580 GOLD to formulate a permanent solution. Surely there must be some ideas on how this could be accomplished? My technical expertise are at your disposal. HINT: one must be able to navigate the entire file system, including hidden files. Right now I have some free time on my hands; don't wait too long ... it won't always be that way :)

Anyone got an old iPad that's not being used? Send it to me and I'll fix your problem once and forever.
    Come on guys ... surely BRAD must know why there is a prefixed "i" on all Apple products.
    HINT #2: Steve Jobs started the trend with the iMac, in an attempt to differentiate it from "Mac".

Tunes
    Pod
    Pad
    Phone
    Cloud
    Mac
    Book
    OS
    etc.

Very creative names otherwise, don't you think?

*** SMILES ***

There is no agreement on what the i stands for. Most people seem to think that the i is just marketing.
    Rumor has it that when the iMac was released, the i stood for Internet.

So far, performance has not has not changed. CKS usage has actual decreased very nominal. The usage is now 464MB, instead of 470MB.
  • Options
    Also, I can't begin to relate how much performance has improved. Not only am I now able to target what I want, but there are other.

In the short range battle, with the data towers, after killing the two sentries and the first wave of agents, I am now able to "run" up to the juggernaut. In addition, instead of single shot, when firing at the same time as the juggernaut, I am now able to fire an automatic weapon again.

Same thing with the short range battle with the two sentries and 5 agents, once again I am fire an automatic weapon at the sentries, instead of a single shot weapon that sometimes would not even shoot. I am also now able to "run" forward after the door opens to the boss room.

In short, I am now able to fight normally. No more hestatations while firing, no more pressing the duck button, only to find yourself still standing, no more trying to charge your TESLA, only to find that it is not charging.

Currently, I am play MIRN on my iPad 4, and all of these problems exist while playing MIRN. MIRN is only at Tier 12. It could definitely use whatever memory optimization that was just performed on CKS.
  • Options
    JEEZ ... I had no idea the game was that bad, so I guess it really is like playing a whole new game GREAT :) I wish I could regain that feeling. For me, I'm simply bored out of my mind. This break from the action should help though.

I'm surprised you guys didn't stumble upon this solution earlier; I believe you've been doing backups/restores (albeit for other reasons) since the beginning.

Better late than never right?

At least when the performance starts to tail off again, you'll know what needs to be done. I still want to formulate a solution that isn't so "destructive" in nature. I think the main problem here is that developers simply don't write many system level apps for iOS, but I'm sure there are some lurking out there on the "dark web". I shall continue my search.

It's a character flaw of mine (I admit it) OR problem solving nature (depending on your POV); I just hate it when things don't work properly. I can't help myself.

*** SMILES ***
  • Options
    JEEZ ... I had no idea the game was that bad, so I guess it really is like playing a whole new game GREAT :) I wish I could regain that feeling. For me, I'm simply bored out of my mind. This break from the action should help though.

I'm surprised you guys didn't stumble upon this solution earlier; I believe you've been doing backups/restores (albeit for other reasons) since the beginning.

Better late than never right?

At least when the performance starts to tail off again, you'll know what needs to be done. I still want to formulate a solution that isn't so "destructive" in nature. I think the main problem here is that developers simply don't write many system level apps for iOS, but I'm sure there are some lurking out there on the "dark web". I shall continue my search.

It's a character flaw of mine (I admit it) OR problem solving nature (depending on your POV); I just hate it when things don't work properly. I can't help myself.

*** SMILES ***

Well so far so good, starting the 2nd day of usage and performance in still amazing. I need feel that I am able to fight with both hands, instead of having one of them tied behind my back. Usage is up to 502MB.
  • Options
    Well so far so good, starting the 2nd day of usage and performance in still amazing. I need feel that I am able to fight with both hands, instead of having one of them tied behind my back. Usage is up to 502MB.

Good to hear ... keep a watchful eye on the usage as it will surely slowly climb back up to epic proportions ... CAMPAIGN MISSIONS, CONTENT UPDATES, new STORE ITEMS, etc. all add to the clutter and over time ... well you've experienced what happens :)

I had this picture in my mind of special agent CONCERNED fighting off the bad guys blindfolded with his hands handcuffed behind his back ... BUT ... still coming out on top !!! Sort of reminds me of RIDDICK.

LMAO
  • Options
    bradr752 wrote: »
    Not much improvement in new version, the video seems worse to me on both the Mini 3 and Mini 4 iPads. I now view CKS as not being playable on the Mini 3. Our first CW matchup was a Level 2 clan with no Teslas or Heavies. the Clan Leader had 2 VP, so CW matchups has not been fixed.. I am able to change CW times which I couldn't before, which is the one fix I have been able to find so far. In short, a real disappointment, once again.

Brad, congrats on the Elites being on top of the Clan War leaderboard. I guess you finally figured out Clan Wars, (he says with tongue in cheek).

On a serious note, my clan is in 5th place, right now. The only change that I have seen, is while we are still being matched up against low level clans, we are being attacked by these same low level clan. Before what was happening was we would win 266 trophies, but we would lose 608 trophies. So far, this has not happen in this clan war.
  • Options
    bradr752bradr752 Registered Users 1,962 Posts
    Brad, congrats on the Elites being on top of the Clan War leaderboard. I guess you finally figured out Clan Wars, (he says with tongue in cheek).

On a serious note, my clan is in 5th place, right now. The only change that I have seen, is while we are still being matched up against low level clans, we are being attacked by these same low level clan. Before what was happening was we would win 266 trophies, but we would lose 608 trophies. So far, this has not happen in this clan war.

The new version has now made CW much more interesting and competitive. Matchups are now based on # of trophies and wars are no longer limited to 12 battles. So far it looks like a real improvement.
  • Options
    I am extremely happy to report that it has been 4 days since the memory optimization was released and both the iPad 4 and the iPad Mini 3 are still working great. Performance is fantastic.

It only took GLU almost a year to fix the video lag issue, but at least for me, they have fixed one major problem.
  • Options
    My video on both my Mini 3 and Mini 4 sucks.

I think the difference in our video revolves around the inability of the video to handle high level drones. When I play clan wars against real players, my video is perfect, but in PVP with a 15M Drone and a 15M mirror drone the video falls apart..
  • Options

I think the difference in our video revolves around the inability of the video to handle high level drones. When I play clan wars against real players, my video is perfect, but in PVP with a 15M Drone and a 15M mirror drone the video falls apart..

It is very possible. My drone is currently Level 160, 6.01M power. It was the drones that started causing all of our video issues.
  • Options

Normally I might agree, but the question you need to ask is what is a 15M drone doing that a 6.01M drone is not? Sure the drone is more powerful, but with regards to video is it really doing anything different? More rounds per minute maybe? Either way, I don't think that's the problem this time around.

I do not know what the answer is but I do know that video problems that plague certain iOS players, do not exist for others. Another item of note is that players would almost always say the video is great shortly after a new release, only to start complaining all over again a few weeks later.

As a matter of fact, several months past your roles were exactly reversed. Video for BRAD was perfect and CONCERNED struggled.

This has been the pattern from the very beginning (at least since the release of CKS v3.0).

I never completely understood this inconsistency. My advice is for you both to compare notes. Look for apps that are present on BRAD's device vs CONCERNED's device and visa versa. Try to get these devices as close to identical as possible. Since CONCERNED is running fine, his device should be the baseline.

You're both using iPad Mini 4s, so the above approach should get us somewhere ELSE the only other explanation would be Chinese "quality control". :)
  • Options
    For me this is easy and it will not help in the equation. I am not running any other apps on these iPads except for CKS and MIRN. I have not loaded any other app and only one game is running at any one time. All notifications are turned off and all iCloud features are turned off also.

The only time iCloud is on is when I am transferring screen shots to the cloud, so that I can post them to the forum using one of my iPad 2.

Like I had posted earlier, before this memory optimization was released, my performance sucked big time and I had "learned" to deal with it.

My video problems were as follows:

When I would try to target a bad guy, the crosshairs would either jump back and forth by 2-3 feet on the game screen or else, they were frozen and would not move no matter how far I would my my thumb.

When I would press the duck button, my character would not duck, he would just remain standing.

When I would need to move forward, my character would run in extreme slow motion.

When fighting a sentry or a juggernaut in a short range battle, if they were firing, either my weapon would not fire or it would fire 1 round a second.

When fighting with my TESLA, most of the time pressing the fire button would not begin to charge the weapon.

Finally, and this one makes one sense at all, my game would completely freeze for 15-20 seconds.
    What makes no sense is while the timer clock has jumped forward 15-20 seconds, the screen action has not changed. If I was in the middle of firing a rocket, the rocket still has not hit. During this freeze in time, I have not taken any damage whatsoever. Like I said, this one makes no sense, because normally I would either be dead, or I have taken massive amounts of damage

Since the CKS maintenance, CKS is performing flawlessly on both iPads, while MIRN still has the occasional video lag issues.

During my days as an IT Manager, for an Enginnering firm, I did see a similar type of issue. Several times, I bought identical, or so I thought, Cadd stations from my supplier. Both machines were purchased at the same time, with identical specs, and both were running the same version of the AutoCad program.
    One station was performing flawlessly, one station was experiencing video lockup issues. I swapped components between computers, and nothing helped. One station worked perfectly and one station would lock up all of the time

I took both stations back to the vendor and he discovered that the station that was experiencing the video issues, had an older BIOS loaded on the motherboard. Once he updated the BIOS, so both compurters were running the same BIOS version, both stations were now performing flawlessly.
  • Options
    During my days as an IT Manager, for an Enginnering firm, I did see a similar type of issue. Several times, I bought identical, or so I thought, Cadd stations from my supplier. Both machines were purchased at the same time, with identical specs, and both were running the same version of the AutoCad program.

I took both stations back to the vendor and he discovered that the station that was experiencing the video issues, had an older BIOS loaded on the motherboard. Once he updated the BIOS, so both compurters were running the same BIOS version, both stations were now performing flawlessly.

YEP TOTALLY ACCURATE ... on handheld devices we refer to this "microcode" as firmware (BIOS by any other name). In fact, over the years I have solved many problems with servers, desktops, laptops, hard drives, dvd drives, burners, printers, just about anything you can think of, by flashing the onboard chip.
  • Options
    YEP TOTALLY ACCURATE ... on handheld devices we refer to this "microcode" as firmware (BIOS by any other name). In fact, over the years I have solved many problems with servers, desktops, laptops, hard drives, dvd drives, burners, printers, just about anything you can think of, by flashing the onboard chip.

As have I, without getting into the discussion on the merits of Dell, HP and others, that is one nice thing about these manufacturers. You can go onto their support website and easily find a list of firmware upgrades.

But then, I always like the Microsoft approach to upgrading. They release a "required" update, but tell you that you are installing the upgrade, "at your own risk". Lawyers, you got too love them, lol.
  • Options
    Well Boys and Girls

The GLU brain trust is at it again. Last night, they released the same Server Maintenance that we had on CKS on MIRN.

Talking about screwing the pooch. MIRN was currently at Tier Base 12. It appears that the update completely blew away the latest Tier. From what I can tell and what I have been hearing, those of us that were at Tier 12 now can not login. Players who are able to login are reporting that instead of the max level being 110, it is now back to 100.

We will see how long it takes for them to fix this major problem.
  • Options
    Well Boys and Girls

The GLU brain trust is at it again. Last night, they released the same Server Maintenance that we had on CKS on MIRN.

Talking about screwing the pooch. MIRN was currently at Tier Base 12. It appears that the update completely blew away the latest Tier. From what I can tell and what I have been hearing, those of us that were at Tier 12 now can not login. Players who are able to login are reporting that instead of the max level being 110, it is now back to 100.

We will see how long it takes for them to fix this major problem.

This was a known problem for the "Upgrade" of CKS, numerous players have not been able to log in to CKS, when they attempt to open Version 4.0.2, it freezes at the 100% screen. There have been numerous complaints, yet the go ahead with the release To MI. Makes no sense!
  • Options
    This was a known problem for the "Upgrade" of CKS, numerous players have not been able to log in to CKS, when they attempt to open Version 4.0.2, it freezes at the 100% screen. There have been numerous complaints, yet the go ahead with the release To MI. Makes no sense!

That is does not. So far what I have figured out with help from others, it appears that it is primarily affecting those of us that had max our player levels. It a chat app that my agency is using, one of our lower level player was able to our agency roster. It shows all of us who were level 110, before the update *** being level 100. It does show the correct total of CP points (VP points in CKS).

Because are level is messed up, none of us are able to login. Also, if anybody clicks on our name, they are unable to access our information.

You are right Brad, it makes no sense what so ever, but then this is GLU that we are talking about.
  • Options
    try_againtry_again Registered Users 1,302 Posts
    That is does not. So far what I have figured out with help from others, it appears that it is primarily affecting those of us that had max our player levels. It a chat app that my agency is using, one of our lower level player was able to our agency roster. It shows all of us who were level 110, before the update *** being level 100. It does show the correct total of CP points (VP points in CKS).

Because are level is messed up, none of us are able to login. Also, if anybody clicks on our name, they are unable to access our information.

You are right Brad, it makes no sense what so ever, but then this is GLU that we are talking about.

Great! I have another fiasco to look forward too! I have 1 more upgrade left on Tier 12, and also at Level 110. There is no update for Android MIRN, YET, but since it took over 5 hours for CKS Androids to start their update last week, guess I'm waiting for the end of my game play there, too.

Right now, I'm in my 3rd day of Silver League battle for the higher powered Gauss (same as Tesla), and in a good lead right now. If this hits us too, not only could I also be stuck on the game loading screen... Never mind, I don't want to think about this.

Insert all the Glu expletives here of what I think about these beta programmers. I'm officially in paranoid state 5.

I hope CKS HQ has caught your post over there in time, and they are correcting the update now, concerned! My deepest sympathies.
  • Options
    Oh Man ... my nephew is going to be mad when he gets home from school. I figure GLU has got until then to straighten this mess out; and believe me they do not want to feel the "Wrath of Kam" come down on them.

*** SMILES ***
  • Options
    Oh Man ... my nephew is going to be mad when he gets home from school. I figure GLU has got until then to straighten this mess out; and believe me they do not want to feel the "Wrath of Kam" come down on them.

*** SMILES ***

As long as Kam is under Level 110 (very likely), he will be good to continue. This bug seems to only effect maxed out characters on iOS. We are 10 minutes before possible update if similar to CKS times.
  • Options
    try_again wrote: »
    As long as Kam is under Level 110 (very likely), he will be good to continue. This bug seems to only effect maxed out characters on iOS. We are 10 minutes before possible update if similar to CKS times.

Kam just finished his 2nd Level Up of the night, just before bedtime. He's getting pretty good at this ... soon he'll come gunning for the SCORPION.

*** SMILES ***
  • Options
    Well, if he's on Amazon, he's got a new Rank #1 All-Time leader as of yesterday, yours truly!

But now that you mention that, a shiver just went down my spine <looking behind my back>!

Today, he will be disappointed, the Global event is sitting in limbo. Somehow, Glu in it's infinite programming skills forgot to hit the switch.
  • Options
    Well, if he's on Amazon, he's got a new Rank #1 All-Time leader as of yesterday, yours truly!

But now that you mention that, a shiver just went down my spine <looking behind my back>!

Today, he will be disappointed, the Global event is sitting in limbo. Somehow, Glu in it's infinite programming skills forgot to hit the switch.

Oh come on already !!! What's the matter with the GLUTONS these days? They were never the conscientious type (more of a sadistic bunch) ...
    ... but how hard can it be to make sure the Global launches on time?
  • Options
    Hate to put MIRN news here, but concerned is the only active one in that forum anyway, and this is a general reflection of GLU's administrators, so...

I assume since Androids did not get the version 1.0.2 pushed to them yesterday, THANKFULLY, that this means they are fixing the update for iOS users who are now locked out because of being stuck at 4% loading configs screen.

It may have been the switch to turn on the Global was in that update, and the Apple players that were not Level 110 are playing a Global event now? It's probably a 12.5x Heavy that won't be used because the matchups were already too difficult to defeat with upgraded 11.5x weapons!

Yes, we're talking about the 1st major upgrade for a game that is matured to Tier 12. Should be almost identical code as CKS, but GLU can't do the simplest of tasks correctly.

Can you ask your nephew if he'd like a job? I think he could start at the bottom of the ladder, maybe CEO?
  • Options
    Hate to put MIRN news here, but concerned is the only active one in that forum anyway, and this is a general reflection of GLU's administrators, so...

I assume since Androids did not get the version 1.0.2 pushed to them yesterday, THANKFULLY, that this means they are fixing the update for iOS users who are now locked out because of being stuck at 4% loading configs screen.

It may have been the switch to turn on the Global was in that update, and the Apple players that were not Level 110 are playing a Global event now? It's probably a 12.5x Heavy that won't be used because the matchups were already too difficult to defeat with upgraded 11.5x weapons!

Yes, we're talking about the 1st major upgrade for a game that is matured to Tier 12. Should be almost identical code as CKS, but GLU can't do the simplest of tasks correctly.

Can you ask your nephew if he'd like a job? I think he could start at the bottom of the ladder, maybe CEO?

Well the earliest the Global will launch is most likely 12:15 PM EST, in about 4 hours. I've always preferred a shortened Global anyways, so it's no big deal; it's just annoying as hell :(

Did the Global only fail to launch on MIRN or is CKS affected as well?

BTW ... the one thing I can appreciate about being #1 All Time on Amazon, is that you fought your way to the top without spending a fortune; unfortunately there are so few players on Amazon that the line behind you is really short :)

KUDOS on your accomplishment though !!!
  • Options
    GLU finally released a content update yesterday afternoon. Global has started, but whether or not it started on time, I can't say. I ended up crashing last night, at 9:30. One I hit my gold milestone, I did not really have anything else to play for.

Grats try_again
  • Options
    Scorpion, if your nephew is around, and able to update MIRN, he can be in the top 10 Global!

4 hours after update (and the 1st one for MIRN), it is clear everyone is having great difficulty getting on. They are probably sitting in front of the app repeatedly hitting the restart button only to refresh the Server Maintenance screen and the same button.

I've been on CKS global chat harping anyone that would listen. One guy saw my thread in the MIRN forum, and got on with that info. Just pure insanity for an upgrade that doesn't easily appear in your notifications, or has a real button on the old version.

Just to specify, we went from 1.0.1 to 1.0.4.