Options

Insufficient memory because of game data - not cache, clear data and game progress

jamofsocaljamofsocal Registered Users 8 Posts
I have CKS installed on my Samsung Galaxy S3. I have been playing for over two years now. According to my app manager, there is over 4 gigs of game data!! This is causing an INSUFFICIENT MEMORY warning on my phone.

I understand that clearing the "cache" is helpful sometimes to clear certain bugs and/or errors. But the "DATA" is different.

I have read in several threads that clearing the "data" will destroy my game progress. In other words, I would be starting over from the beginning. If that is true, then the games will require more and more memory as I continue to play.

Is this correct? Do I constantly need to free up memory space from other apps and delete other files just to continue playing CKS?

The other part I do not understand is why my progress is not kept on the server that is associated with either my GOOGLE PLAY account ID or my GLU ID. I thought our game progress was backed up on servers in the event that we lose our game device, we can recover once we install the game on the new device and login to our account.
Prev1

Comments

• Options
    amsoft2000amsoft2000 Registered Users 5,782 Posts
    Your game data is backed up on Google Play and GLU's servers as well so clearing your game data periodically is not only safe but recommended.

As always, before doing so ALWAYS take a full backup.
    Complex Minds Require Challenging Games ... SCORPION
  • Options
    try_againtry_again Registered Users 1,302 Posts
    On my older device, I find it helpful to delete the game after each time I level up. Then, after re-installing (I'm on Amazon version), the maps are deleted, maybe some of the countless weapon graphics that are never won too. But everything in my inventory comes back, and if I need to revisit an uncompleted map, just that map gets downloaded again.

This seems to help with significantly fewer PVP game crashes. As Scorpion emphasizes, definitely make sure Google is backing up your data at a minimum.
  • Options
    Guestkh1981Guestkh1981 Registered Users 252 Posts
    Anyway to do this on ios?
  • Options
    Anyway to do this on ios?

I'm on Android, so please wait for an iOS player to confirm ... but ... backing up to iCloud or iTunes essentially accomplishes the same thing, I believe. The caveat is, since I haven't read any player reports on how to actually delete the game data on iOS, the process would involve uninstalling the entire game and then reinstalling; as TRY_AGAIN mentioned.

AGAIN ... please wait until an iOS player actually confirms this, but it should work fine.

Man ... I really do miss CONCERNED. :( Try searching CONCERNED's posts for he may very well have posted a procedure to do this, knowing him. :) Another good player to search would be BRADR752.
  • Options
    Thank you amsoft2000!

I forgot to mention that I am using my Galaxy S3 as a non-phone digital device. In other words, I use it at home where I have wi-fi, but it DOES NOT have an active SIM card. Does this affect the way it backs up data?

I saw your other posts on how to back up data by going to the SETTINGS and accessing the BACKUP AND RESET menu. I have the backup settings toggled ON. I assume my data is safely stored as you stated above, but I just wanted to double check that this can occur without an active SIM card.
  • Options
    bhortonbhorton Registered Users 4 Posts
    How do you restore deleated game from server? Apple 6 phone. Had over 3 gb in memory.
  • Options
    Hopefully you have a backup on iTunes or iCloud ...

If NOT and if iOS is functioning properly, you should still be able to recover your game progress simply by logging into you original gamer-tag.

I don't want to alarm you, but iOS seems to always have massive problems whenever GLU releases a new build of CKS especially when it comes to being able to login and resume where you left off; that's why it's always prudent to take your OWN backups.

Now you might have a backup and not realize it because it may be happening automatically in the background without you having to initiate it.

Are you asking as a precursor to deleting CKS OR have you already jumped down the rabbit hole?
  • Options
    •K4L1••K4L1• Registered Users 9 Posts
    I reached out to GLU and it seems that (according to their rep), IOS does not allow CKS to backup to iCloud. Basically, I just wanted to confirm this with them, as I tried previously, and sure enough, CKS is not allowed to backup to iCloud.
    Am I to understand that simply deleting the game and reinstalling will clear away old maps, etc?

If there is a specific code assigned to each player? Games like Kill Shot Bravo have a "support code" which you can reenter and restore all progress. Is there an equivalent for CKS?
  • Options
    •K4L1• wrote: »
    I reached out to GLU and it seems that (according to their rep), IOS does not allow CKS to backup to iCloud. Basically, I just wanted to confirm this with them, as I tried previously, and sure enough, CKS is not allowed to backup to iCloud.
    Am I to understand that simply deleting the game and reinstalling will clear away old maps, etc?

If there is a specific code assigned to each player? Games like Kill Shot Bravo have a "support code" which you can reenter and restore all progress. Is there an equivalent for CKS?

I suppose the same holds true for iTunes. That really sucks because it leaves you at GLU's mercy and technical expertise for restoring your game progress in the event of a mishap.

Please tell me you can perform a backup to your PC? I remember an earlier version of iOS had problems with the PC "seeing" the device as a hard drive; hopefully that has been remedied and if it has, just backup as you would any other hard drive.

But to answer your question, CKS is locked to a device using an internal identifier. There is no code you can enter BUT you can get Customer Service involved to migrate your progress to another device.

When restoring to the SAME device, you shouldn't need to do anything special other than logging in using your original gamer-tag.
  • Options
    amsoft2000 wrote: »
    ...CKS is locked to a device using an internal identifier. There is no code you can enter BUT you can get Customer Service involved to migrate your progress to another device.

When restoring to the SAME device, you shouldn't need to do anything special other than logging in using your original gamer-tag.

So, the idea (theory, hope? fact?) is that once you restore the game, it should load with your current stats, MINUS the unnecessary bulk of old maps, etc?
    I can only hope since that really would solve the issue of space. Temporarily, maybe, but better than logging around that dead-weight data.
  • Options
    bhortonbhorton Registered Users 4 Posts
    Ya I'm down the rabbit hole lol. I'm not sure how to log in under my original game tag? I submitted a ticket 8/17 and have not heard back. I think I'm sol but kinda my fault.
  • Options
    I would really appreciate if anyone on iphone/IOS had tried deleting and reinstalling the game. Mainly because I would like confirmation that it would, in fact, purge unnecessary data (old maps, old guns) and keep your progress.

If anyone knows what you can or can't do, it would be greatly appreciated. I am ready to move on to my next region, but my phone won't be able to store anything else. I already got two warnings about storage, and the game is "glitchier" than it used to be.
  • Options
    If u find out abt this please let us know too as i am facing the same issue but am hesitant in taking sny actions. Someone sugestedbacking the game on itunes then deleting it and restoring it from itunes but this process would just bring back all the files u wanted to delete in the first place as backup on itunes would save all files including temporary and junk files.
  • Options
    I personally do NOT own an Apple device, so what I am going to say is strictly from my IT experience and 2nd hand from other Apple device owners.

Although I don't know how iOS backups work specifically, most system backups DO NOT backup junk files. It has been quite routine for administrators to "reorganize" disk storage devices by backing up and then restoring from that backup; I do know first hand that backup solutions for Android do not backup junk files.

That said, iOS players have reported that a full backup to iCloud or iTunes (always a prudent action) followed by deleting the game and reinstalling the game has restored the game's performance. Do a search on player CONCERNED since I believe at some point in the past he may have posted detailed procedures on how to accomplish this.

Also from what K4L1 has described, the problem isn't solely CKS. I would suggest freeing up some storage by purging some other items that are using up all of your available space. I don't know what the capacity is on your iPhone, but it's got to be 16GB or more; even a CKS bloated with junk will use maybe 2-3GB.

I would also suggest moving photos or movies off to a MicroSD card, but I know with Apple devices this might be problematic ... never did quite understand this Apple oversight. If you're adventurous, I'm sure the USB charging port has a dual function that might allow the connection of an external storage device.

I hope this helps !!
  • Options
    1z20da0.jpg. 6.4 gb to be exact
  • Options
    That's plenty of junk :) you really need to perform some cleanup of "Documents and Data". I find it hard to believe that iOS doesn't provide a way to delete that ****. SMH.

I'm 99.5% sure that delete/reinstall will remove all of that ... have you tried searching CONCERNED for the following strings like "backup", "performance", "video lag", etc.?

I'm going to give it a try myself ... BRB
  • Options
    I found this and CONCERNED seems to have confirmed that backup/restore DOES in fact solve this problem.

http://ggnbb.glu.com/showthread.php?203167-SERVER-MAINTENANCE-24-February-2016&p=436666&viewfull=1#post436666

I'm still searching for a procedure ...
  • Options
    I just realized that I have not posted an update on my situation.

I followed the procedure amsoft2000 recommended and my device was able to delete the game data and free up over 4 gigs of memory. The game progress was backed up on the either the Glu server or the Google Play server. Of course, the game had to reload certain maps and preferences, but it essentially restored my game progress and I did not lose anything. YEAH!

Thanks for the help!!
  • Options
    If I may offer a suggestion to test the Iphone questions, is it possible to find a friend that has an Iphone and ask them to install the game? Play the game a little and then uninstall the game and see what happens.
  • Options
    There is no way to clean junk in iphone but 3rd paty softwares do that.i installed an app that does that but after getting a prompt that i will lose all game data if i clean the phone i stoped just didnt want to take the risk. In i phone there is just a single file which stores everything of the game so by deleting it everything will get lost. I will look into the backup thing but again still hesitant to do so before someone else does it as when i asked glu they clearly replied that if i delete the app all data will be lost.
  • Options
    It's a strange world indeed when we're terrified of deleting things ... your garage must be a mess. LOL

Just kidding ...

Seriously, all pertinent game data is stored on GLU's servers so that will be preserved. If you're worried (and you should be), take a FULL SYSTEM BACKUP.

I delete my game data on a weekly basis to clear out the "gunk". It's simple housekeeping. Of course if you delete the app all data will be lost; what GLU didn't tell you is that by reinstalling the game the data comes back. :)

At some point in life, you're going to need to learn how that device works if you intend to continue to buy them. Might as well start with a video game.

Do you know how to perform a backup? That should be your PRIMARY task.
  • Options
    The thing that worried me was glus response so i stoped. I will look into the backup restore thing then will post the results. Lets hope for the best
  • Options
    I'll be waiting ... :)
  • Options
    Jet LeeJet Lee Registered Users 33 Posts
    Hey, Guestkh1981 do a backup and restore. After restoring your iphone or ipad you'll notice you have more storage and performance is smooth. The best part for IOS you'll get 20 free GOLD if you know what i mean...............By the way, you can try (BatteryDoctor HD) it works for me all the time! Good Luck
  • Options
    I use batery doctor to clean memory but to clean cache i get a prompt that i will lose all game progress if i delete cache.
  • Options
    Jet Lee wrote: »
    Hey, Guestkh1981 do a backup and restore. After restoring your iphone or ipad you'll notice you have more storage and performance is smooth. The best part for IOS you'll get 20 free GOLD if you know what i mean...............By the way, you can try (BatteryDoctor HD) it works for me all the time! Good Luck

I find the 20 GOLD very interesting because it would seem that clearing out the junk, also deletes a "counter trigger" that results in allowing GOLD offers to startup again.
    I use batery doctor to clean memory but to clean cache i get a prompt that i will lose all game progress if i delete cache.

Go for it ... deleting "CACHE" data never hurt anything. Just close your eyes and tap the button LMAO.

I would feel better if you would create a backup first ... how is that going?
  • Options
    amsoft2000 wrote: »
    I find the 20 GOLD very interesting because it would seem that clearing out the junk, also deletes a "counter trigger" that results in allowing GOLD offers to startup again.

Go for it ... deleting "CACHE" data never hurt anything. Just close your eyes and tap the button LMAO.

I would feel better if you would create a backup first ... how is that going?

Yes My Friend, 20 GOLD if you know what I mean..............
  • Options

Make a backup then restore that's all you need to do. Check manage storage, use BatteryDoctor....tap the button (Junk). Good Luck
  • Options
    First i take a backup then delete the game after that should i download the game from the app store first then restore or just restore from backup?
  • Options
    First i take a backup then delete the game after that should i download the game from the app store first then restore or just restore from backup?

You don't need to delete the game, After you have restore everything from your backup start CKS. It'll take a while to download all your save game. Assuming you are playing the latest version CKS 5.0.3?