as my (nice, new, wonderful, magnificent, incredible etc etc) samsung galaxy s5 just arrived,
i thought it might help a few of you out there sharing my experience.
note, that this is for android, for ios i don't know.
first of all: yes!, game progress can be transferred, it worked for me.
i ain't using google+ so i don't know if that has an effect if any.
on both devices dh14 was not hooked up to google+.
a) both devices hooked up to wlan
b) an external / separate computer to activate helium.
i used my win7 laptop.
what i did:
1) find 'helium' (what used to be 'carbon') on google play and install it on both devices,
the free version is going to be sufficient, at least was for me.https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup&hl=de
2) hook old device up to pc (i use an usb cable) and start the helium app
3) go tohttp://www.clockworkmod.com/carbon
to get the desktop software, install it on your computer and run it
4) (helium should now be activated/enabled)
5) run backup of the deer hunter app on the old device and choose the external sd as storage
(you could also use internal storage of course, i first thought sd would be easier as it was
always supported on other devices but for some reason didn't work with s5, read on)
6) put sd card into new device (both devices should be turned off while changing the sd)
7) download/install dh14 on the new phone and play through the introduction, first deer,
buy the shotgun, two ducks, etc.
8) hook new device up to pc and start the helium desktop program on pc, this should enable helium (on the new device this time, yes, needs to be done every single time and for every device)
9) since helium for some reason didn't recognise the sd card (could be something s5-specific,
as other apps e.g. diskusage don't see the card either) i moved the backup to the internal
storage of the phone:
take contents of sdcard/carbon folder and move it to phone/carbon
10) now restore deer hunter from the backup
11) helium gave me an error message, telling me that the restore didn't work
*** game progress, regions, hunter bucks, plats, weapons, consumables, bounty progress...
EVERYTHING THERE! ***
you'll have to download the maps for standard and hidden and also need to load
the weapons but other than that... just fine.