Options

Rooted/Jailbroken devices and EW3

Rooted/jailbroken devices are not supported in EW3 (or any of Glu's games), so we cannot troubleshoot issues on these devices. Possible effects of a rooted/jailbroken device include the following:
  • Not seeing the "free glu credits" button
  • Intermittent ability to participate in live operations like tournaments
  • Intermittent success with in-app purchases
  • Valor points (VP) not being counted/increasing
"Reversing" a rooted device may not eliminate all of the programs, so this is not a guarantee that gameplay will resume normal behavior. You may also want to check what programs are running on your device that are most likely interfering with normal purchase procedures.

If you are experiencing any of these issues and you know your device is not rooted, it is possible you are running a program that is also utilized by rooted devices (i.e. a superuser program); you can try removing these programs and gameplay may resume normal behavior.

We do not support rooted devices in general but if you can get your device to work then certainly feel free to share that info with others; however we cannot troubleshoot issues on rooted devices.

Comments

• Options
    DieTryingDieTrying Registered Users 6 Posts
    iam using samsung galaxy s3 with android version 4.3 not rooted and game installed from playstore and i have this issues help please
  • Options
    sutekisuteki Registered Users 48 Posts
    glu, cheater -dont need to root their device- to hack this game. Just -install apk mod and replace the obb file-. Please come up with another solution rather than just unsupport root device. Not all root device player is cheater.
  • Options
    GluAdminGluAdmin Administrator 2,464 Posts
    My iPad was jailbroken and I realized that my VP and GS ranks are not in LeaderBoard. So I spent some time doing a clean restore to factory settings and now my device is not jailbroken any more. Still my rank is very low and in tournaments my vp does not add to my guild score. I am very worried about it. How can I resolve this problem or do I have to wait for a new update or am I black listed some how? Please help me solving this issue. Thanks

I responded to this in your other post (no need to repeat posts).
  • Options
    iWhiteboyiWhiteboy Registered Users 12 Posts
    No need to even get mad, u guys are so beyond pathetic that you guys cannot specifically determine the cheaters and hackers from people who's device is jailbroken/rooted that is not cheating or hacking. Therefore saying this, DO A BETTER GOD **** JOB AND FIX THIS FOR THE COMMUNITY!
  • Options
    StTyraelStTyrael Registered Users 73 Posts
    Although I do understand the reasoning behind these restrictions, no company I've ever worked for would have allowed me to write root checking algorithms like that which are present here. In actuality, I wouldn't write them period if other solutions were available.

The method used now produces many false positives, even on devices like mine with less than 10 apps installed (besides system and Google apps) and the phone came brand new as an insurance replacement and has never been rooted so contains no busybox modules or traces of root. There are two apps installed now which use su for further functionality (a text editor for programming and a file explorer) and neither of these apps are triggering the root check because I uninstalled each one by one and tested. I knew they wasn't going to though but needed evidence to back my statements up.

Root equals having Administrator access in the PC world. A device that's rooted is nothing to be looked down on at all. Instead of restricting rooted devices (I haven't rooted this replacement solely for this game), a different method of protecting game data in the /data/.../{gamedirectory}/ folder needs to be explored. One possible solution was outlined I'm one of my big posts on unrooted devices being caught as rooted.

I know that it's a known issue now, but creating a better root checker algorithm is not the answer for an elegant solution. The method I outlined is an outline of the process a game I'm currently working uses. It has worked flawlessly so far (after a few modifications) and hasn't slowed gameplay down at all by any noticeable speeds. No offense at all, but look at Diablo II. In offline mode yes we could hack our hearts out with hex editors. In online gameplay, in my 4 years of playing hardcore I never ONCE saw anyone with multiple characters decked out with the best zod runeword gear or full elite uniques.

That example gives an outline for another method that could be used (although modded some). This should be priority ONE as many non rooted players have paid real money. I have paid real money for inventory space and sometimes shards when I'm in a hurry. I have paid more than the game is worth. It's not as if this game was created from scratch and the problem may lie in not being able to change any of the licensed code. If so, then my apologies. But developers are wily people. Motivate them and we will think outside the box. There are no boundaries we cannot cross.

If this isn't fixed soon, there will be a wave of players hitting Google up for refund on all purchases made and when that happens Google takes a hard look at what the company is doing to create such distress. I've witnessed it first hand with DeNA many times. Look at their reputation (although pulling in like 230± billion in end quarter profits of last year is no joke, their reputation on how they got there is **** poor).

I'm saying this with my CTO hat and Project Manager hat on now:

"There is no excuse to restrict this application to the wide audience of saavy techs who like to control their hosts files to block ads or tweak GPS setting is or flash the latest Android builds when their OEM fails to deliver on updates or overclock with a custom kernel...or even to just be able to set up iptabkes and run their own firewall over their phone for security reasons.

I know you guys have it in you, several ideas have been laid out for inspiration and I know you are up to the task. Now..have this done by morning..." Lol ok that last line I wouldn't say.

I would be more than happy to write the silly code to protect the game data and stick it on github as open source material if you guys really can't come up with something more elegant than calling su to see if it passes or fails, them checking for root apps of it fails (hardcoded root apps that is which is usually and in this case bad practice, and then searching for files that are root related like busybox modules, ams then doing whatever secret checks we don't know about. Listen, K know what you guys are checking as I know Android inside and out, but I won't tell it's cool :)

I want to optimize my file mounts and remove journaling and also while I'm at it turn fsync off as they are pointless on mobile devices AND play the game. But as is I can't even play while unroofed. I'm not going to Google for a full refund of all purchases because like I said while wearing my hats...I know you guys are up to it. If not, I could use a job myself. We can interview via video conference for the interview and we'll set Jo travel arrangements and I'm there ;)

I know this will get settled,..I have faith...God bless and peace!
  • Options
    ducvaderducvader Registered Users 204 Posts
    Can we get a list of apps to stay away from that will trigger this blacklist of accounts etc? I'm getting a new phone and there are a ton of apps I like to use on a rooted or non rooted phone. If an app requires root and my phone is not rooted then what's the problem? It won't work anyways...well the root portion of it

Titanium backup for example.... we get blacklisted for having that app on phone?
    Root explorer
    Lidroid File Explorer

This needs to be clear.
  • Options
    InceptionInception Registered Users 18 Posts
    StTyrael wrote: »
    Although I do understand the reasoning behind these restrictions, no company I've ever worked for would have allowed me to write root checking algorithms like that which are present here. In actuality, I wouldn't write them period if other solutions were available.

The method used now produces many false positives, even on devices like mine with less than 10 apps installed (besides system and Google apps) and the phone came brand new as an insurance replacement and has never been rooted so contains no busybox modules or traces of root. There are two apps installed now which use su for further functionality (a text editor for programming and a file explorer) and neither of these apps are triggering the root check because I uninstalled each one by one and tested. I knew they wasn't going to though but needed evidence to back my statements up.

Root equals having Administrator access in the PC world. A device that's rooted is nothing to be looked down on at all. Instead of restricting rooted devices (I haven't rooted this replacement solely for this game), a different method of protecting game data in the /data/.../{gamedirectory}/ folder needs to be explored. One possible solution was outlined I'm one of my big posts on unrooted devices being caught as rooted.

I know that it's a known issue now, but creating a better root checker algorithm is not the answer for an elegant solution. The method I outlined is an outline of the process a game I'm currently working uses. It has worked flawlessly so far (after a few modifications) and hasn't slowed gameplay down at all by any noticeable speeds. No offense at all, but look at Diablo II. In offline mode yes we could hack our hearts out without hex editors. In online gameplay, in my 4 years of playing hardcore I never ONCE saw anyone with multiple characters decked out with the best zod runeword gear or full elite uniques.

That example gives an outline for another method that could be used (although modded some). This should be priority ONE as many non rooted players have paid real money. I have paid real money for inventory space and sometimes shards when I'm in a hurry. I have paid more than the game is worth. It's not as if this game was created from scratch and the problem may lie in not being able to change any of the licensed code. If so, then my apologies. But developers are wily people. Motivate them and we will think outside the box. There are no boundaries we cannot cross.

If this isn't fixed soon, there will be a wave of players hitting Google up for refund on all purchases made and when that happens Google takes a hard look at what the company is doing to create such distress. I've witnessed it first hand with DeNA many times. Look at their reputation (although pulling in like 230± billion in end quarter profits of last year is no joke, their reputation on how they got there is **** poor).

I'm saying this with my CTO hat and Project Manager hat on now:

"There is no excuse to restrict this application to the wide audience of saavy techs who like to control their hosts files to block ads or tweak GPS setting is or flash the latest Android builds when their OEM fails to deliver on updates or overclock with a custom kernel...or even to just be able to set up iptabkes and run their own firewall over their phone for security reasons.

I know you guys have it in you, several ideas have been laid out for inspiration and I know you are up to the task. Now..have this done by morning..." Lol ok that last line I wouldn't say.

I would be more than happy to write the silly code to protect the game data and stick it on github as open source material if you guys really can't come up with something more elegant than calling su to see if it passes or fails, them checking for root apps of it fails (hardcoded root apps that is which is usually and in this case bad practice, and then searching for files that are root related like busybox modules, ams then doing whatever secret checks we don't know about. Listen, K know what you guys are checking as I know Android inside and out, but I won't tell it's cool :)

I want to optimize my file mounts and remove journaling and also while I'm at it turn fsync off as they are pointless on mobile devices AND play the game. But as is I can't even play while unroofed. I'm not going to Google for a full refund of all purchases because like I said while wearing my hats...I know you guys are up to it. If not, I could use a job myself. We can interview via video conference for the interview and we'll set Jo travel arrangements and I'm there ;)

I know this will get settled,..I have faith...God bless and peace!

My suggestion is to hire this dude. How many of your programmers have technical skills with equally impressive ability to interact with the community? Could do EW3 some good.
  • Options
    TheKingslayrTheKingslayr Registered Users 12 Posts
    Im on a device that was jailbroken over a year ago. I've never hacked anything and Ive paid real money to play this game. I worked my way into a top guild and risk losing my place since i cant contribute. If anyone has a successful fix so I dont lose everything, please share.
  • Options
    I'm not familair with iOS as I've refused to use it any longer than borrow a friend's phone to male a call, so I'm not sure Jail broken is the same as rooted. Rooted means you have the su binary file in /system/xbin or /system/bin. These are two Linux directories where executable binaries and scripts are to be placed. "su" is just a filename for the binary that in Linux grants the calling process access to the root file system ("/"). In Windows, we call this logging in as Administrator so we can, well, administrate the operating system.

I understand why Google, when developing Android (which is built on top of a Linux kernel - in laymen's terms means that it's basically a stripped down version of Linux built for mobile devices) chose to leave this su binary out. In Links distributions for the PC it's a normal part of Linux. On mobile devices that presents some security issues, but one main reason is because phone companies don't like their users being able to mod their phones to say, unlock free tethering. Another reason is that unknowing users could download an app which uses su maliciously to steal data or more. The permissions that an app can access are listed in the manifest file in the apk, which is the file extension for an app. An apk is just a zip file that contains all the app's code and data. Additional data can be downloaded separately, but basic apps are all contained within the apk, or zip file. The manifest is the list of permissions that app has access to. Now, like I was saying, we can see which permission apps can access before installing but many people do not even read them. A wallpaper app with the READ_SMS_LOG permission (I don't have the permissions memorized, that's just an example of a real permission) is doing something other than just display wallpapers.

Android doesn't have su because of users who don't understand what it is and that blindly run any and all apps. Companies that hand out employer phones that deal in sensitive information also tend to like devices that are mlsre locked down as well. With that said, rooting really doesn't present much of a danger at all as long as you treat it like Administrator access on Windows and don't go messing with files you don't know. There are whitelist apps that accompany the su binary so that we can tell Android which apps to run with full access and ones not listed will run without su.

That's all, but it means that every aspect of the os can be changed. We can even change the kernels we use and the recoveries we use, but that involves having an unlocked or bypassed boot loader which is out of scope. I don't believe that JailBreaking is quite the same thing. Many things on a JailBroken phone still can't be modified, and I might actually go see once and for all what goes on behind the scenes. I just dislike Apple ... I also can't speak from a developers point to give any opinion on if blocking jailbroken devices is an accepted practice or if alternative methods are available.

Even if they check for rooted phones and block them from ranking, anyone who can Google information off of the XDA forums can find out that there are ways to still modify the game data and still not technically be rooted. Hackers can just run their phone with their boot loader unlocked, and then use ADB (Android Debug Bridge - set of protocols that are used when your phone is connected to a PC run through the command line) to log in as root and make the desired changes. Then they can unplug their device and enjoy playing Eternity Warriors 3 with modified game files and STILL be ranked because they arent really "rooted". All they did was use an Android developer tool distributed by Google themselves to log in via the command line on their PC with full access to all the files on their phone.

I'm sorry to be the one divulging this information in a public game forum but I want the kids and admins to realize that the current system is still flawed and not a real solution. Players can still hack away and rank. I hole by doing this that this reality sinks in, as I want this game to evolve, ...or at least let the developers in on something that was missed during testing. Maybe they have a secret way to discover hackers that use that method, and if so I give them my highest praise.
  • Options
    Inception wrote: »
    My suggestion is to hire this dude. How many of your programmers have technical skills with equally impressive ability to interact with the community? Could do EW3 some good.

Lol, Thanks! Unfortunately I moved back from Houston back to my home town in Virginia and IT jobs are as common as albino elephants here. In Houston I wasn't programming but at least was taking flight manuals and converting them intonxml at Johnson Space Center. That was a cool job, but.was only there a year. The year Hurricane Rita ripped through. Them I had to move back to care for Dad who had cancer (he's fine...he's had it three times now and best it each time).

But now I'm stuck here. If I can get back into Richmond I can start programming again. In the meantime I develop stuff for the G2 or Android in general on the xda forums (we did while I was able to run a rooted phone), and help small developers write sections of code for their apps they distribute on the Play Store (or iron out bugs, etc). I'd love to take a job at GLU as the way most games with iAPs are now, the quality of gaming has dropped so hard it's not funny. Some games have got it right (Dr. Who: Legacy is one of them...it's a Bejewled type puzzle game - a genre I normally HATE - I love that game).

I don't want to see GLU go the way of DeNA, but with DeNA turning insane profits (in the hundreds of billions) each quarter for basically turn basically web browser based trading card games) it takes a company with a strong love of gaming to not try to copy their success and instead of ruin mobile gamine, elevate it to where games of legend are born. GLU themselves have been around a while as well and also turn a good profit I'm sure (can't state as fact as I've never looked), but in the last they have put out quality games that didn't sick you dry. ET3 actually isn't that bad when it comes to iAPs as none of them are necessary at all except for inventory space additions (and hey, if you are playing the game daily then they deserve to be rewarded and paid). It just appears that way to impatient players. I didn't install Diablo II: LoD and begin playing onnHarcode mode online first thing and make it to level 99 and find a set of all the best elite uniques in a day, or a week, or a month, etc. After learning the game, yes we could team up and speed level a hardcore player from lvl 1 into the high 80s low 90s in a few hours. I played that game for 4 years almost and amassed a TON of good uniques that I stored on mules on multiple accounts (along with a few accounts of nothing but ears...haha...MissyEscobar ...destroyer of dreams..:). For those who don't know, in hardcore mode once you die you are dead for good and lose all gear...gear which is not easy to get back like unbreakable gear is to get off Hellboy. That's why we had accounts with characters that served just as inventory space to store good gear, as you lost everything in your stash as well when you died (not if, but when). My long is in 4 years I only farmed a small handful of elite uniques. The high end stuff had crazy drop rates, and there was no way to ship out a credit card and just skip weeks of gameplay to simply buy an item. I think being able to do such things in a game, especially one where grinding IS the game, is defeating the purpose of even playing. Then again, all the best items in ET3 are earned from grinding. I think their iAP system is one of the better ones out there as it's only there for people who find an hour or two of grinding a session too irritating or who think farming for an item for a week is too long (time it took to farm murdermaker ).

But I went way off topic as I haven't slept in two days and am just rambling. I'd love to find an official permanent IT job for a game developer. I can also code for iOS as that just uses native c or c++? I'd just need a very quick lesson on file structure, suggested best practices, etc. This isn't a job application for GLU though. If I did, I'd have to agree on the companies long term vision and their policies, etc...of which I know none of with GLU.

If there was only one or two developers on the game (like Dr. Who for example), suggestions AMD bugs can be handled MUCH more quickly a there is not a CTO running things or a Project Manager delegating tasks and creating schedules. Time doesn't need to be wasted on creating rral prototypes and having them approved, etc. There is no real structure with red tape to get through, and the one or two developers know their code inside out and can make changes as they see fit and have the capability of fixing bugs or implementing suggestions within the same day of the submission. I've also found these guys produce the games I usually enjoy the most as they are creating out of love and don't nickel and dime. Large companies have their benefits as well. Better production value, easier time with licensing (think NFL teams for a Madden game..or more money for licensing more expensive game engines), well I could go on.

I'm no guru or genius, but thought I could at least attempt to help while not being ranked, which also means I haven't been logging in to play at all lol. Maybe I can add you as a reference so that zi might finally get hired at the only place nearby that actually uses a real IF staff..lmao.
  • Options
    FaxMachineFaxMachine Registered Users 7 Posts
    Im on a device that was jailbroken over a year ago. I've never hacked anything and Ive paid real money to play this game. I worked my way into a top guild and risk losing my place since i cant contribute. If anyone has a successful fix so I dont lose everything, please share.

King! Same issue here and I'm trying really hard to get ranking to work again. I just joined ONEUNITED (#1 ranked guild) and unless I can contribute vp for tourneys I won't be able to stay in.

To prohibit devices from being ranked simply for being rooted/jailbroken is absolutely ridiculous for ONE REASON ABOVE ALL ELSE: I use a jailbroken device with EW3 SO I CAN BACKUP MY GAME SAVE BECAUSE SOMEHOW GLU FINDS IT ACCEPTABLE TO PROVIDE ABSOLUTELY NO CLOUD SAVES OR DEVICE SYNCING WHATSOEVER AND STILL ASK FOR A SMALL FORTUNE FOR IN-APP PURCHASES. You expect us to drop a mountain of cash on this game that is, at most, good for two or three item evolutions realistically. In the event we have to reset or restore our device, or just simply get a new phone, you expect us to say "Oh well, I'll just forget about the months of time and money I invested already and start all over." To think that you haven't addressed that immediately and don't seem to think it's an issue is absurd.

I found my own way to backup the game and even transfer it to another device myself, thanks to a couple incredibly helpful and perfectly legitimate jailbreak utilities. It seems like a moot point now though considering after months of grinding and progressing and upgrading, you've rendered my game broken without the ability to do the one thing which is left after acquiring a set of godly gear: tournaments. You have your priorities extremely screwed up.
  • Options
    ErsoyErsoy Registered Users 10 Posts
    for me, this topic is closed and I'm going to find an alternative game

glu is apparently not interested on a solution,
    I just get a standard reply from support

here the answer

Hello ........,

At this time we do not have a way of removing the flag. We apologize for the disappointment this may cause.

Regards,
    Glu Mobile Customer Care
  • Options
    That's better than the copy and paste email that I received that was just the "official VP response" that GLU has posted hereaabout the restrictions again letting me know that my device must have been rooted at some time or an app that calls su is installed. That's the third or fourth time I've been told that after posting in more knows how many topics here how this phone is practically new and hasn't been rooted once since it came out of the LG box it was packaged in.

I don't understand the reply the sent to you though. When I read that to me I read "It's more convenient and less time consuming to just deny that we can do anything about it because the idiots will believe whatever we say. It doesn't hurt us financially so why bother"

I'm sorry for being for being so harsh but that's exactly what I read. In really do hope that in the future they listen to their player base and when there are people blowing up the forums with an issue that just MAYBE something is wrong. All these hacks they are trying to prevent can be applied using non rooted devices.

I've posted a way to do this, and another forum member has as well.thisot to hurt the game or GLU at all, but to show them that if they really care about the integrity of the leaderboards that they are, well, setting up a checkpoint to hopefully catch the theives while still leaving their treasure unguarded and out in the open, and hoping that nobody will realize that they can just step around the checkpoint. I'm actually hoping that this will help them to actually secure the game and improve the situation.

It looks like though that I'm finding a new game as well though. I'll still be frequenting these forums to check up, and even requesting a complete refund if all transactions made to GLU, and link to these forums to prove to them what's going on. In am still having faith they will do what's right though and will hold off, as I'd feel bad if they fixed this in a new update and if I had refunded everything I basically donated to them. I'm a sucker for seeing people do what's right. Sorry that that's tjebrrspknse that you got.
  • Options
    Dra89ganDra89gan Registered Users 5 Posts
    gluadmin wrote: »
    Rooted/jailbroken devices are not supported in EW3 (or any of Glu's games), so we cannot troubleshoot issues on these devices.

We do not support rooted devices in general but if you can get your device to work then certainly feel free to share that info with others; however we cannot troubleshoot issues on rooted devices.

Yeah... but we will fully support and highly appreciate your money. The exclusive feature of buying our stuff will always be there for you, jailbroken/rooted or not.
  • Options
    ErsoyErsoy Registered Users 10 Posts
    Yeah Jailbroked Money Welcome, but Not the Buyed Players in Tournament

Jailbroked Player blocked in Tournaments, but Not blocked give us your Money Buttons

Hahaha
  • Options
    UltraSceptileUltraSceptile Registered Users 1,969 Posts
    FaxMachine wrote: »
    King! Same issue here and I'm trying really hard to get ranking to work again. I just joined ONEUNITED (#1 ranked guild) and unless I can contribute vp for tourneys I won't be able to stay in.

To prohibit devices from being ranked simply for being rooted/jailbroken is absolutely ridiculous for ONE REASON ABOVE ALL ELSE: I use a jailbroken device with EW3 SO I CAN BACKUP MY GAME SAVE BECAUSE SOMEHOW GLU FINDS IT ACCEPTABLE TO PROVIDE ABSOLUTELY NO CLOUD SAVES OR DEVICE SYNCING WHATSOEVER AND STILL ASK FOR A SMALL FORTUNE FOR IN-APP PURCHASES. You expect us to drop a mountain of cash on this game that is, at most, good for two or three item evolutions realistically. In the event we have to reset or restore our device, or just simply get a new phone, you expect us to say "Oh well, I'll just forget about the months of time and money I invested already and start all over." To think that you haven't addressed that immediately and don't seem to think it's an issue is absurd.

I found my own way to backup the game and even transfer it to another device myself, thanks to a couple incredibly helpful and perfectly legitimate jailbreak utilities. It seems like a moot point now though considering after months of grinding and progressing and upgrading, you've rendered my game broken without the ability to do the one thing which is left after acquiring a set of godly gear: tournaments. You have your priorities extremely screwed up.

Oh no, they have their priorities in the right place.

For every 1000 people who get mad and leave, there will always be that one person who blows thousands of dollars. So they make a really nice profit. Of course, the games reputation gets ruined, but seriously, do they care? Nah, just make a new game and some idiots will pull out their big fat wallets.
    UltraSceptile~Forums King.
This discussion has been closed.