Options

[bug] root check thinks i'm rooted but i'm not

StTyraelStTyrael Registered Users 73 Posts
First off yes I know this is discussion and not suggestions and support. On that forum I posted this as well (under a slightly different name but you'll see it if you look. To my surprise, I got ahold of a GLU Super Mod very quickly and he explained that the game checks for root upon boot (if the game encrypted game data that's local all players could play even rooted, but full technique is described on other post) by seeing if a call to the su binary fails or not, by looking for other root binaries like busybox modules, and looking for certain root apps.

What does this mean? Well for starters if you use apps which have extra root functionality you may so be failing this check and not having your VP counted even if you've never rooted before and don't even technically know what root means. GLU is spreading around that root = hacking = evil. Rooting is the SAME as having Admin access on your PC. Back on topic. I told this super admin that this was a replacement phone that I got right before the game was released and that I haven't rooted it yet just so I can play. He later tells me "or if could be because of root fragments left on your phone from when it was rooted"...

*stares down slightly witha slight frown hopinng everyone else reading is doing the same shaking their heads*

I list to him all apps on my phone that are non system apps or Google apps. It's a tiny list since it's a new phone and since the game has kept me busy. There was one app in the list that had su functionality and that was a launcher which used su so it could display transparent status bars on devices 4.4 and higher. I knew that wasn't the issue so I uninstalled and VOILA! Game still sees me as rooted. Big shocker there.

This GLU Super Mod wouldn't concede that the problem wasn't my device. In his defense maybe he did disappear after 5-10 minutes to go look to see if the issue was anywhere to be found there on their side. Oh, I do have another app that uses su I forgot. It's a text editor that uses it SK root devices can browse text files anywhere besides SD card storage. Either way, both those apps were installed when I started playing and I'm sure uninstalling that will do just as much good as the launcher did when I banished that. Plus that text editor app isn't a popular app and I doubt they even heard of it...but sure I'll uninstall that too and see why happens. If everything is dandy I'll come back and eat every word. That WO t happen though.

The first two tourneys or s,o worked fine. Wasn't until near the Jade Forest update that it started thinking K was rooted. And so what if I was? Rooting a phone is what everyone should do. They shouldn't attack the problem therez they should find ways of encrypting and hiding game data! That is just lazy programming...especially when they "hard code" certain root apps to be checked. That's just bad programming there....coming from one.

GLU is too hot to touch I tell you ... You WILL. get burned trying. Lol. Well you know, let me remove my 920 Text editor which is one of the best text editors on ..wait no...why bother..I know it won't help. I also forgot to mention Root Explorer which uses su to let rooted users browse their entire fire structure. One of the best apps on the market and a must have even if not rooted.

I will NOT uninstall apps and change my phone to play this. Especially when I'm not even rooted. YOU will change your code or I will complain to Google and get all my money I spent back and everyone else should too. You a see that this game is nothing but ****e..even if youre like me and only spent a little to get a few inventory bags, or if you spent thousands. Don't go through GLU, go to Google and complain. Google will do this one time per account (unless they changed policy) and refund ALL iAP for applications which have lousy support the way GLU does or applications that are ripoffs.

This is my but report and I will preach this in the forums whenever I can and in game whenever I can until I can log in and play in tournaments again. Admins, you could at LEAST keep us updated of bug reports. Thank you for finally responding to one in a timely manner but how it was handled and the length of time it was handled was pathetic. Especially since you had a seasoned programmer there to help you (me) and explain possible areas of code to look into and ideas to fox the issue.

No, instead a super admin came, made two posts both of which basically said it was my fault for having root apps or root fragments left on an unrooted device and then left. Not acceptable. Especially when the time was taken to make a proper bug report post regarding the issue. I didn't whip all that that up in 10 minutes guys.

(Please keep any replies to this respectable and mature. Use proper language and grammar and clean (language)...example of what makes you look like an idiot...: "YA MAN GLU ARE LAZY F*CKS MA GAME DONT LEMME VP IN TOONY ADN NO GUID WLL RECUIT M 4 IT"... Act professional and like an adult when protesting or complaning. Actually anytime someone else will read what you say you should but...anyways...thanks in advance and I'm sure see posts one that from kids anyways)