Options

Decline in Network Performance: Networking NOT fixed, it is a trend.

GreyGnomeGreyGnome Registered Users 6 Posts
When I first started playing EW3, just before the 3.0 update, I was delighted to see that its network performance was fairly decent. I could get in a couple of games on the train during my commute. Contrast that to other dungeon role-playing games that I had, which were very fragile network-wise.

I have noticed a steady decline in network robustness since then. And I'm not talking just about this miserable 3.1 update (which is supposed to be fixed but is not). I can hardly get in a single game in on my commute. This makes it not worth it to pull out my phone and try to play. And if I can't play on my phone, I can't play at all.

Glu, the cellphone is not a desktop machine. It is supposed to be used while moving from place to place, so an app must be designed for a less than stellar underlying network. I know that Android doesn't handle the transition from LTE to HDSPA to Wifi well (I have a Nexus 5 with Lollipop, and I've been keeping a close watch on such things for a year now). But I'm not talking about those times when the network stack fails... other apps like the web browser are working, but EW3 gives me the dreaded "Accessing Network" / "Network Error. Retry?" boxes far too much. It gives it to me even at home, on my wifi now. It didn't use to do that.

I don't know what has been going on... a switch from UDP to TCP, perhaps? But something has been going on in the network development department that has been for the worse. Please, look at what you had been doing pre-3.0- it was great. Don't muck with a good thing, please, and put it back.

For what it's worth yes I have paid some real $$$ in this game and I would be inclined to pay more but the game is becoming less and less playable for me.