Options

(ios) Share your opinion on Arena. Is it skill oriented or not?

LorenzLorenz Registered Users 13 Posts
I decided to spend some words about it, after playing EW3 for so long.
I didn't purchase gems, I didn't hack, still I managed to bring at least my main pg (which in my case is a warrior) almost at the top (not the last update equipment though). I'm at 19240 Gs with 30%+ pvp or 18880 with 43% pvp based on which equipment I choose. (my other pgs are around 11-12k).
It took way too many hours at playing this game, but it was fine until I finally could upgrade all my equipment.
I must say that what pushed me the most was the idea of competing in arena, since I love competition.

After hundreds of match I finally came at the idea that Arena is too much aletory in its results and not skill oriented at all. Don't really understand if it is intentional or simply pvp wasn't a big deal to developer.
I've beaten everyone and have been beaten by everyone. Some arena sessions you seem the new gift of the gods to EW3, you beat anyone, all the big names with 19k and 50% pvp, even 3-0 sometimes. A few hours later you have suddenly become the worst player of the history and loose every match even with pgs a lot weaker.

Let's be clear, I DO think there is some skill involved, and some players are better at it, no doubt.
Only it seems to me, for what it is my experience, that skill is not the main factor to determine a result.

There are connection issues that can affect results often. There is the randomness of criticals. You can see some matches in which two pgs of the same level and same stats have so different luck, and happens often to see a match where one hit 10+ times vs 3 times of his opponent and still loose. I make some experiments when it happens to find a guildmate in arena and we do the 2-2 things and then fight.
Try it yourself and let me know what are your impressions.
I, for exemple, place myself near my mate and try a full dash. Sometimes I can almost kill him, other times I simply don't do any damage at all, other yet I do a small damage (5k for example)
This can happen even when my connection is good (35 to 55 ms Europe server)

This is senseless. Sometimes it can brings you to think you are in front of someone hacking, but he's absolutely not (even though there are too many players hacking around, this is sure)

This is not a post for GLU, since they are not interested in our opinion, I do not hope to obtain anything from this one. It's a small talk between mates that shared this experience for so long. I'd like to read some thoughts, especially from the ones who usually place in good positions.

Comments

• Options
    LorenzLorenz Registered Users 13 Posts
    tumblr_ltwsn1V55B1qi6ujuo1_500.gif
  • Options
    annonannon Registered Users 128 Posts
    Critical hits, which is by chance, makes all the difference. So yes, while skill is definitely a factor (looking at you firth and bombfirst), pretty much it comes down to luck. Cc and cd gear is mandatory.
    ps....I likes the tumbleweed!!
  • Options
    FirthFirth Registered Users 219 Posts
    annon wrote: »
    Critical hits, which is by chance, makes all the difference. So yes, while skill is definitely a factor (looking at you firth and bombfirst), pretty much it comes down to luck. Cc and cd gear is mandatory.
    ps....I likes the tumbleweed!!

lol..yeah, my mad 9/2 stars skillz..with a z baby...no..i see what you are saying..sometimes...unstopple with people at same or better gs, and then some days can't even buy a win...even against lower gs...i find it does not seem to matter if on 4 g, or wifi..ping of 23 or 70...and yes...nice tumble weed...
    GUILD: EW4 EXPERIENCED | WOOOOT| coolio | Platform: ANDROID
  • Options
    ProhanProhan Registered Users 45 Posts
    Firth wrote: »
    lol..yeah, my mad 9/2 stars skillz..with a z baby...no..i see what you are saying..sometimes...unstopple with people at same or better gs, and then some days can't even buy a win...even against lower gs...i find it does not seem to matter if on 4 g, or wifi..ping of 23 or 70...and yes...nice tumble weed...

I just don't even participate in arena. The rewards aren't worth it for me to go through infuriating connection problems and 30+ minute wait periods.