Options

Wednesday Patriotic Party!

2Next

Comments

• Options
    HollySiskHollySisk Registered Users 3,445 Posts
    I'm a true American -- a Mutt, lots of different nationalities swirl in my gene pool. When it comes to my sense of identity, I think of myself not just as an American but as a Southerner. Although I've lived north of the Mason-Dixon Line since 1998, I haven't lost my love of homemade biscuits, sweet tea, and the word "y'all."
    Additionally, although I don't have dual-citizenship, I can't ignore my connection to Germany. I lived there from ages 1-5 and 14-17. Those are pretty important time periods of your childhood and definitely influence who I am as an adult.

FB72982C-5C54-49FC-8F4A-1598FF09198C_zpstxolemuq.jpg
    Holly
    I play on iOS
    #WhyBotherWhenGluNEVERlistens
  • Options
    AmyTAmyT Registered Users 1,164 Posts
    stephk11 wrote: »
    What nice global representation on just these three pages.

My other thought while reading these posts is: I need to travel more! I'm American and have visited a lot of US states, but of all of the other cities/countries mentioned so far, I have only been to Amy T's Scotland and Newcastle.

Oh wow, Steph! I love that you've been to Newcastle! I never expected anyone here to have heard of it (well, apart from British players). The place only got well known after the Tv show Geordie Shore and the singer Cheryl Cole put it on the map. Did you go for a night out there? It's infamously known for the nightlife and the place to go for Stag and Hen parties (I think you call them Bachelor and Bachelorette parties in the US?).
    Top 20 +++
    My doll's name is Madison :)
    (~~ one cat short of crazy! ~~)

iOS player ~~ GC AmyTMadison
    Pm me if you'd like to add Madison on Facebook :)

#fangsforNai
  • Options
    NaimonsterNaimonster Registered Users 5,127 Posts
    Thank you Vats! You have to come here!

yTLnvXu.jpg
    PM to add
  • Options
    VatsVats Registered Users 4,773 Posts
    Zoey I'm glad you bring some more of your roots here! I understand your feeling that while everything is different yet is all the same, I believe that the world is like that in a certain way and here in the forum we have a taste of it!

Bobbie that top is from 4 July event!

I can only agree with you steph!

Ah Chanrin, please smile more we need your beautiful smile!

Carol I didn't know the flag of the state of New York, but I love what you've done, very creative!

Holly my Southern Belle, Dixie is always on sleek!

I'm coming Nai, don't be surprised if I knock on your door at any time!
    Viva La Vida Á La Vats!
  • Options
    SassyVoguetteSassyVoguette Registered Users 1,510 Posts
    Wow, this thread was so much fun.. We are from all over the world :)
    I've been all over Europe, but never out of it lol I think it's time to start travelling to far away destinations.

Nai, I've read so much about Singapore, it's beautiful. I hope to have a chance visit it someday.
    Vats has my heart. Forever. 💕

iOS
    07/2014 
  • Options
    NaimonsterNaimonster Registered Users 5,127 Posts
    Vats, don't make me wait 10 years lol!

Sassy, thank you and hope you come here! I will recommend stuffs to you : )
    PM to add
  • Options
    Carol DavidaCarol Davida Registered Users 6,145 Posts
    Vats wrote: »

Carol I didn't know the flag of the state of New York, but I love what you've done, very creative!

Thanks Vats. I'm glad that I styled my doll with the New York state flag colors. I think that this is the very first time that I ever represented my state's flag before haha
    Daily Android KKH player

Carolette Davie (the all-American bittersweet feminist) ➡ the diva's cousin

If you would like to be friends with me in-game please PM me so that I'll know that you're from the glu forums. Tyvm☺

Follow me on IG

#SafeStorage #MaleDollsMatters #BonusStarForParties #BoycottTrendsetters #DontPunishPayingCustomers #MoreAdsForKstars #StopKollections

• Options
    stephk11stephk11 Registered Users 139 Posts
    AmyT wrote: »
    Oh wow, Steph! I love that you've been to Newcastle! I never expected anyone here to have heard of it (well, apart from British players). The place only got well known after the Tv show Geordie Shore and the singer Cheryl Cole put it on the map. Did you go for a night out there? It's infamously known for the nightlife and the place to go for Stag and Hen parties (I think you call them Bachelor and Bachelorette parties in the US?).

Amy: I've actually been to Newcastle twice to visit my American cousin and her English husband who were living there at the time. The first time, we visited to the beach area (is it called a beach), which was beautiful. We also saw some castle ruins.

The second time, we went with a bunch of their friends to a nice dinner in the city and then went to a few bars, and wow...I had been warned that the girls would be very skimpily dressed, but I had no idea! It was November, it was cold, and these girls barely had clothes on!

They don't live there anymore, but I will always have fond memories of my visits. :)

Oh, and yes - we call them bachelor and bachelorette parties. We even have two ridiculous reality TV shows (which I will admit I watch) called The Bachelor and The Bachelorette, which have a man (or a woman) picking from a bunch of contestants to get married. It's probably only a matter of time until you get similar shows called The Hen and The Stag there. :)
  • Options
    stephk11 wrote: »
    Amy: I've actually been to Newcastle twice to visit my American cousin and her English husband who were living there at the time. The first time, we visited to the beach area (is it called a beach), which was beautiful. We also saw some castle ruins.

The second time, we went with a bunch of their friends to a nice dinner in the city and then went to a few bars, and wow...I had been warned that the girls would be very skimpily dressed, but I had no idea! It was November, it was cold, and these girls barely had clothes on!

They don't live there anymore, but I will always have fond memories of my visits. :)

Oh, and yes - we call them bachelor and bachelorette parties. We even have two ridiculous reality TV shows (which I will admit I watch) called The Bachelor and The Bachelorette, which have a man (or a woman) picking from a bunch of contestants to get married. It's probably only a matter of time until you get similar shows called The Hen and The Stag there. :)

Lol the girls there are well known for not wearing much with no jacket on a night out!!! When I meet up with my friends when I'm home, they laugh at me wearing a coat when we go out drinking! I'm not used to the cold weather as much now!

The North East has quite a lot of coastal areas, it was maybe Tynemouth, Cullercoats or Whitley Bay you visited? They are definitely not like the lovely beaches in some parts of the US, it's always freezing, raining and windy in the North East!

I'm glad you enjoyed your time there :) I don't get home that often, my mum and stepdad still live there so I visit about once or twice a year. But they usually come to see me instead of me going to see them.
    Top 20 +++

#fangsforNai
  • Options
    VatsVats Registered Users 4,773 Posts
    Guys I want to thank you all for sharing your amazing looks, interesting stories, great music and of course for always have sweet words when you're talking to me!

Thank you so much for doing one more Wednesday thread so fun!
    Viva La Vida Á La Vats!
  • Options
    Amy - It was Tynemouth! I thought the beach was so pretty. Not a place where you would lay out in the sun, but I loved the rocky look. And IIRC, it was in/near a cute village with little shops. One other funny thing - while in one of those little shops, I bumped into a lady, and she apologized to me. My cousin told me later that Brits will always apologize, whether they are at fault or not. :)
  • Options
    Hahahaha! That is sooo true and typical of Brits. Like, just today I held a door open for someone and for some weird reason I said "sorry, you go ahead" and he then replied sorry back to me! It seems silly but it just comes naturally to us lol.

The Tynemouth shops are so cute. I wonder if that old fashioned building is still there with the craft shops, thrift shops and jewellery? The place with the bike strung from the middle of the ceiling that you can see from each floor? I think it was a pennyfathing, but I don't quite recall!
    Top 20 +++

#fangsforNai
  • Options
    That reminds me another of funny thing. An American friend who lived in London for several years told me that if two British strangers get into a situation like you described, they can be stuck there for 10 minutes repeatedly apologizing to each other. So, that might be a slight exaggeration, but sounds like it's not too far off!

I can't remember the details of Tynemouth very well. I think this trip was in 2009. Definitely don't remember the bike!
  • Options
    Sorry we are totally going off topic here, but I can't believe someone knows about Newcastle and Tynemouth!

It's years ago that I was last in Tynemouth, it's mainly just childhood memories I have now. But there was definitely a bike hanging from the ceiling lol! The place was called the Green Ginger Arcade, it was originally an old church built in 1831.

No, that's no exaggeration, Brits opening doors are like "sorry, you go ahead " and the next person is like "no, sorry, it's ok, you go!"
    We would stand there forever saying sorry. It's so weird! Lol
    Top 20 +++

#fangsforNai