Options

Upgrading to new iOS - will I lose my progress?

tiramisutiramisu Registered Users 169 Posts
Hello all,

I've previously lurked on this forum, but have joined to make my first post, which is to ask a question - so I hope you can forgive me for that!

Basically, my issue is quite simple - I have played KKH on my iPhone for nearly two years now (I can't remember exactly, but I think I started a few weeks after the release, maybe in early August?), and have played pretty consistently, other than having a break for a few months in early 2015. Throughout this time, I've never updated my iOS (!) - I've always had issues with space as my phone only has 16GB of storage, but mainly I've been concerned about losing my progress in KKH, which, after two years, three comebacks, nearly forty levels, and countless events, has been massive - and the longer I've put it off, the more I've worried about losing it! However, it's got to the stage now where I can't download or update lots of other apps due to my outdated iOS (including a certain other game that's currently captivating everyone!), can't read messages properly due to not having the full range of emoji, can't use email attachments in a fluid way, etc., and it just feels like time to upgrade.

I can't find anything on the forums or Glu help about losing progress after upgrading iOS, which is making me feel like I might have been being a bit silly, and it might actually be a non-issue... But I thought I would check before ploughing ahead! I have made enough space on my phone for the upgrade, and will obviously do a full backup before proceeding, but is there anything else I need to aware of? And has anyone here had any issues with lost KKH data after upgrading? Or, alternatively, does anyone have any success stories? I know this is a really knowledgeable community, so your thoughts and advice would be very much appreciated!

Thank you so much in advance :)

Comments

• Options
    Argh, I meant to post this in the FAQ & Support section, I am so sorry if it is out of place here!
  • Options
    katiealexandraakatiealexandraa Registered Users 1,171 Posts
    tiramisu wrote: »
    Basically, my issue is quite simple - I have played KKH on my iPhone for nearly two years now (I can't remember exactly, but I think I started a few weeks after the release, maybe in early August?), and have played pretty consistently, other than having a break for a few months in early 2015. Throughout this time, I've never updated my iOS (!) - I've always had issues with space as my phone only has 16GB of storage, but mainly I've been concerned about losing my progress in KKH, which, after two years, three comebacks, nearly forty levels, and countless events, has been massive - and the longer I've put it off, the more I've worried about losing it! However, it's got to the stage now where I can't download or update lots of other apps due to my outdated iOS (including a certain other game that's currently captivating everyone!), can't read messages properly due to not having the full range of emoji, can't use email attachments in a fluid way, etc., and it just feels like time to upgrade.

Hmmmmm... I wonder what that game could be!? ;)

I play on my iPad and have had no problems with KKH after updating. Wait until you get some feedback from other iPhone players though!

Welcome to the forum :)
    ♡ iOS (level 64 A+++) ♡
    ♔ Instagram: katiealexandraa.kkh 
  • Options
    NaimonsterNaimonster Registered Users 5,127 Posts
    Hi and welcome!

Yes this is the right place to post.

I updated my iOS version a few months ago, no issues. I've also not heard of anyone having issues. It doesn't make sense to lose progress since GC, iCloud and game is intact but like you said, back up and you're good to go.

Good luck!
    PM to add
  • Options
    kokokokonutkokokokonut Moderators 29,115 Posts
    I'm loving that you said iOS. All the advice you got is great, but I am the biggest chicken in the world. Before you start, I would IM with Apple Support. Their instant chat is awesome. Tell them what the situation is, and see what they say. Tell them you want to make sure the game is saved to iTunes, and want to speak to someone who will talk you through the setup for the old device, to save the files there. They had me connect my old ipad to my computer, and we both (apple rep and I) went to a page where she helped me through it. She got the saved file into iTunes, then we connected the new ipad (I did the work she talked me through it). We basically followed these instructions, but having her there making sure it went smooth saved me a lot of aggravation. They're very helpful. ANd if you mess up, they're right there to help. I always knew it saved to 'the cloud' but by putting it in iTunes you could clearly see the date and some stats on the various saves, and you pick the one you want to load, and it's there.

Bottom line, those instructions I linked are good, but if you have that open on your computer, and the chat on your computer, all you need is a USB cord for device and your device and a laptop, and you should be good to go. I just think, why do something alone, if you can have the Geniuses there with you.
    If you are having trouble DO NOT UNINSTALL THE GAME!
    🦋Purple Headed ♊+ 🥥 Chick Playing iOS & Android 🦋
    I Am NOT a Glu Employee
    🌟If you want my attention please send a dm
    💜Vats
    💜#VipKalinda
    #RecollectionsMayVary
  • Options
    Hi katiealexandraa and Naimonster (I'm not sure how to tag you, or I'd do that!),

Thank you for such quick and helpful replies, and for making me feel welcome, it's nice to meet you both :)

I have done an iCloud backup and am currently running a separate backup of photos (which I do periodically anyway), and after that, I might to a separate backup to my laptop, just to absolutely be on the safe side! But then, I think I will be ready to take the plunge! I will let you know how it goes.
  • Options
    I'm loving that you said iOS. All the advice you got is great, but I am the biggest chicken in the world. Before you start, I would IM with Apple Support. Their instant chat is awesome. Tell them what the situation is, and see what they say. Tell them you want to make sure the game is saved to iTunes, and want to speak to someone who will talk you through the setup for the old device, to save the files there. They had me connect my old ipad to my computer, and we both (apple rep and I) went to a page where she helped me through it. She got the saved file into iTunes, then we connected the new ipad (I did the work she talked me through it). We basically followed these instructions, but having her there making sure it went smooth saved me a lot of aggravation. They're very helpful. ANd if you mess up, they're right there to help. I always knew it saved to 'the cloud' but by putting it in iTunes you could clearly see the date and some stats on the various saves, and you pick the one you want to load, and it's there.

Bottom line, those instructions I linked are good, but if you have that open on your computer, and the chat on your computer, all you need is a USB cord for device and your device and a laptop, and you should be good to go. I just think, why do something alone, if you can have the Geniuses there with you.

oh, I just saw this reply after posting mine. Thank you, koko! That's really helpful, but I am actually just updating the iOS on my current device, not transferring to a new one (if I'm worried about this, I think I would have a total meltdown about that ha ha!). It might have just seemed like it was a bigger move than it is as I think I may have been making a mountain out of a molehill! But thank you. Do you think it might be worth IM-ing Apple support anyway?
  • Options
    Hello again,

An update! After speaking to Apple (thank you for the recommendation, koko, they were so helpful!) several failed update attempts, and much gnashing of teeth, my phone has finally updated! Most of my data (photos, messages, contacts etc) is still intact, but none of my purchased apps are installed any more - including KKH. Apple Support, who I'm going to get in touch with again now also, said my progress should be saved via the Game Center/my own backup if something like this occurred, so I'm not panicking...yet. Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed? Again, it would be really appreciated. :)
  • Options
    Final update - everything finally worked (only about 8 hours after I started!) and KKH is working perfectly with all my progress intact :) there were a nervous few moments when the game wouldn't open and the loading bar was going crazy, but then it did and everything was perfect. Thank you all again for your help, and I look forward to chatting again in more relaxed circumstances!
  • Options
    kokokokonutkokokokonut Moderators 29,115 Posts
    Ok, this is fantastic. And I'm so glad Apple chat helped. I love them. Now we all do the Victory Dance.
    If you are having trouble DO NOT UNINSTALL THE GAME!
    🦋Purple Headed ♊+ 🥥 Chick Playing iOS & Android 🦋
    I Am NOT a Glu Employee
    🌟If you want my attention please send a dm
    💜Vats
    💜#VipKalinda
    #RecollectionsMayVary