Options

My dramatic series win over Legends

solarmensolarmen Registered Users 201 Posts
This is my second time winning the final playoff series. Last series win was before the update. Since the update, my record against the Legends was 10-51...

Lineup:
Josh Harrison, OF, R, 9/5/8, 5*
Charle Blackmon, OF, L, 7/5/9, 4.5*
Michael Brantley, OF, L, 9/5/7, 5*
Steve Pearce, 1B, R, 7/8/4, 5*
Bryce Harper, DH, L, 6/8/5, 4.5*
Josh Donaldson, 3B, R, 5/9/4, 4.5*
Evan Gattis, C, R, 5/9/1, 4.5*
Ian Kinsler, 2B, R, 7/4/6, 4*
Jordy Mercer, SS, R, 6/4/3, 3.5*

Bench:
Colby Rasmus, 5/9/4, 4.5*
Neil Walker, 6/7/2, 4*
Evan Longoria, 5/7/3, 4*

SP:
Corey Kluber, 8/8/8, 5*
David Price, 8/9/7, 5*
Jordan Zimmermann, 6/9/7, 5*
Michael Wacha, 6/6/8, 4.5*
Homer Bailey, 6/6/7, 4*

Bullpen:
Trevor Rosenthal, 9/3/8, 4*
Addison Reed, 8/6/7, 4*
Steve Cishek, 9/5/8, 4.5*
Jason Grilli, 9/6/8, 4.5*
Mark Melancon, 7/9/9, 5*

Game 1: I scored 7 runs on 9 hits over Kershaw in the first inning! I wasn't too excited though. I had score 12 runs over Kershaw in one game before, but ended up losing that series 1:4. In this game, Kluber and bullpen held on to the lead, and won the game 7:4.

Game 2: I scored 4 runs on Bumgarner and knocked him out of the game after 3 innings. Just when I thought I could have a 2-0 lead, Price and bullpen gave up the lead and I lost game 2. Series tied at 1-1.

Game 3: Zimmermann started for me against Chris Sale. Zimmermann had never pitched well against the Legends. He had given up 14 runs in one inning, twice. But today, he had a good outing giving up only three runs. Unfortunately, Sale pitched a complete game shoutout. I lost 0-3. Legends led the series 2-1.

Game 4: Wacha was in turn to start, but I used an ice wrap to start Kluber instead. I rarely use ice wrap so I had over 25 in stock, and I felt like Kluber always pitched well against Legends. I scored a few runs on Johnny Cueto and Legends' bullpen, and series tied at 2-2.

Game 5: I again ice wrapped Kluber to start. With series tied, I was not going to use 4-star Bailey. I thought I was in good shape since Yu Darvish was only 9/4/8. I had the lead 3-1 going into the 6th. But Legends tied the game on top of the 6th. I turned into my bullpen, and Cishek gave up 8 runs in the 7th. SOB! Legends led the series 3-2.

Game 6: It was Price's turn to start but I again chose Kluber, who went head to head with Kershaw. I scored early in the game 1-0, but Legends score two runs on top of 6th. I tied the game on bottom of 6th, and called bullpen. This time my relievers got the job done. Game still tied on bottom 8th, and surprisingly, Kershaw was still on the mound, but he was exhausting. And I scored 8 runs in that inning. Poor Kershaw, gave up a total of 17 runs in two games.... Series again tied at 3-3.

Game 7: Bumgarner in game 7, sounds familiar? No worries, I had Kluber. Game went back and forth and I was leading 3-2 heading into the 9th! It only took one tap to win the series! Well, not so fast. Melancon gave up one run and blew up the save (this guy blew up 10 saves in 93 opportunities). Game still tied but I felt like I already lost. My best pitchers were already out. I used Rosenthal in the 10th and game still tied. Top of 11th, Legends scored one run over Reed. Final half inning, Doolittle was on the mound with bottom of my lineup coming up. I always hit Doolittle well, even though he is 8/9/9. A few pitches later, I had men on first and third, one out. And my best player Harrison was at the plate. Doolittle served a straight fast ball and Harrison, as always, hit it opposite way to right field. Game tied again. Even better, runner went from first to third with only one out. A ground ball could win the series. Blackmon at the plate. He was not my best hitter but he could hit the ball on ground, and his speed was 9. I liked my chance. I took a deep breath, and tap on the next pitch. It was a bloop single to left field. Game over. Series win. WOW! What a roller coaster ride!

By the way, in case you are wondering, my #1 draft reward was Brett Cecil, 3.5*, right into inactive list.

Comments

• Options
    Amused_79Amused_79 Registered Users 841 Posts
    Nice job solarman! Glad Kluber worked for you. I always skip him in my rotation when I play the Legends. He's always has gotten "Klubbered". Those series are always so nerve racking. No matter how comfortable you start to feel in a game or series, it seems they turn it around in a second. I've had 10-0 leads evaporate in an inning, or a 3-0 game lead end up with a lost series. Beat them in a series for the 5th time yesterday, but it wasn't without its own drama. But this is your moment in the sun!
  • Options
    ~Lawman~~Lawman~ Registered Users 370 Posts
    Great job Solarmen, that was quite a series!

Like Amused, I lost a 7 games series in a sickening game 7 9th inning. After being up 7-1 going into the top of the 9th, I pressed the button advancing to the next inning. To my chagrin, the score was now 8-7 in Legends favor. I had a chance in my half of the inning, only the hit into a double play with runners on 1st and 3rd.

It's all good though, I beat them 4-1, next time around. I'm pretty impressed with Amused, as beating Legends 5 times is quite a feat. I've beaten them 4 times, and thought I was a Tap Sports junkie!!!

Good luck all.
  • Options
    Amused_79Amused_79 Registered Users 841 Posts
    Lawman- I'm almost at a point where I enjoy the games leading up to playoffs. Once there, it's stress time. Lol. After a while I'm thinking 2 draft picks and 500 gold, should be upped a bit for the trouble.
  • Options
    solarmensolarmen Registered Users 201 Posts
    After more than two weeks, I finally beat the Legends for the third time. Now my overall record is 31-143, representing a .178 winning record against the Legends....

This time there was far less drama. I surprisingly won the first three games to start the series. I lost the fourth game to Cueto because "Kluber got roughed up". But I finished the series strong with a 4-0 shutout.

My pitching staff is exactly the same as two weeks ago. Lineup got somewhat upgraded. I watched tons of videos and played a lot of games to get onto Leaderboard. With the gold I saved, I bought Yadi from 3-player pack to replace Gattis at C. I got Reyes the same way (only to realize he is going to be available for 750 gold in a couple of days)... finally I drafted Howie Hendrick during a second round draft and replaced Kinsler as my 2B.

And, my #1 draft yielded some 3* player that I don't know. I also have 37 inactive players that I traded for another #1 draft, which yielded another 3* player that I don't know.

At this point, I don't know what's the fun any more. One of the reasons this game is addictive is that I can build my dream team if I play more. But apparently drafting can no longer get me any meaningful players. I would image my roster to stay the same until they update the stats again.
  • Options
    jemicjemic Registered Users, Member 297 Posts
    I am thinking that collecting good players is the only feature they can provide after end game.
    Unless GLU has some new ideas or it will be quite boring after beat the legend team.

Many good ideas like creating our own players...etc seems not to be GLU's first choice and they just plan features by the decision of how much real money we can spend in this game.

The current game status is just a beta to me and we are all beta testers.