Options

Arm or Control?

JGYankJGYank Registered Users 49 Posts
What's better for pitchers arm or control?

I think a good arm helps make up for bad control because hitters chase pitches more and so they don't walk too much. Obviously it really helps get Ks. I also have a theory that a good arm rating can limit HRs, but stuff might do that as well.

Control is good because it keeps walks down and when pitches are over the edges of the plate they're impossible to get a hit on. But I do think that control also might make the pitcher throw the ball over the center more which could lead to more hits especially on fast*****. But bad control pitchers usually get behind in the count and throw the ball down the middle then too and aren't as good at hitting the corners. Throwing the ball outside of the zone isn't that bad though because you know you're not going to give up a hit on that pitch.

Comments

• Options
    Amused_79Amused_79 Registered Users 841 Posts
    Personally, I feel stuff is the most important by far. That ,I believe effects those late breaks that cause a weak pop up or ground ball. 8 or 9 a must there. I put arm second. Against human players they have less time to decide on the pitch. An arm 7 or higher is sufficient. Lastly control. As long as your pitcher has a control of 5 or higher I think u will be ok in the walk department. The higher the control the more strikes can be attacked. Look at the two highest in the game Kershaw and Koji (both 999) You can go up there swinging and will probably make contact consistently. At the 5-7 range on control seems to work best. Keeps the hitter honest. Against the CPU I think stuff matters most. Arm/stuff against human players. The toughest pitchers I face are usually a 959 like Holland or 979 like Kensley. If I see a 6 or less on arm then I strike out rarely. No matter how good the stuff rating. So, high stuff, high arm, and average control seems to be the best combo. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    ~Lawman~~Lawman~ Registered Users 370 Posts
    Ditto. Well put Amused.
  • Options
    Battered UpBattered Up Registered Users 5 Posts
    I have found that even Kershaw throws ba11s. His breaking ba11s will miss. If you can get to a 2-1 or even 2-2 count on Kershaw the next pitch is usually down the middle.